Author Topic: GMO Foods  (Read 1540 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: GMO Foods
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2015, 09:18:55 AM »
I'm shocked that morons like Food Babe are still being supported and that really speaks volumes about our society.

I'm not. Uneducated people filled with fear are the easiest people to get money from.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2015, 10:08:17 AM »
I'm shocked that morons like Food Babe are still being supported and that really speaks volumes about our society.

I'm not. Uneducated people filled with fear are the easiest people to get money from.

Uneducated people who have a lot of money, are the easiest lol makes me think of scientology

Offline Prog Snob

• Truth is not for all men, only those who seek it.
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2015, 01:26:17 PM »
I feel like you could link anything to cancer these days if you word it well enough.

That's part of the smoke and mirrors for both sides of the argument. It would be wonderful to just have someone gives us a definitive answer, everyone concurs, and we move on with our lives. I've read compelling answers from both sides. Instead of trying to figure out why the pro-GMO side gets one set of results and the anti-GMO side gets a different set of results, why not look at the specifics of the tests and see WHY the results differ. Personally I think the pro-GMO side has more to lose if they were to admit it really is bad for you, especially considering the immensity of that industry. However, you can't just base the correct answer on a hunch.

There's a site called Rational Skepticism. It's a forum that has a breadth of topics that people discuss. Before I went to that site, I used to automatically think that synthetic sugars like aspartame were the devil. After reading lots of discussions at that site and seeing the actual sources for the data, I realized that the amount of aspartame that would need to be ingested for it to cause any real damage would be impossible to consume on a daily basis. The point I'm trying to make is that it's quite possible that GMOs aren't the best thing to add to our food but the amount of them needed to be consumed before they cause any serious issues might be a ridiculously high number. If we have an overall healthy body, we should be able to filter out the bad without it causing any lasting effects. 

The same site also turned me into a fervent believer in global warming. There were a lot of sources posted regarding that issue.

Thoughts?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2015, 03:18:02 PM »
Makes sense, too much of anything is bad for you including the most essential part of life, water.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2015, 06:39:50 PM »
Don't organic farmers use a lot of pesticides and herbicides as well, they're just a little bit more regulated?

Organic farmers for the most part use far more pesticides as their crops can't genetically resist the elements. GMO corn protects itself from insects, it doesn't need the pesticide.

This argument for organic produce makes me want to strangle people. Yet, the Organic section continues to grow at the grocery store. I have a relative who is caught up in the "organic=pesticide free" bullshit. And that seems to be the number one reason people choose when asked about why they buy ''organic". All of those bad chemicals. All organic means is that the pesticides that are used must come from natural sources. So they use Organophosphates. Most of which are much more toxic than anything else that could be used instead. And the farmers often times must use more of that product to effect the same result. Most pesticides today were developed to be cheaper, used in less concentration, and safer for humans. It is IMPOSSIBLE to protect large scale crops without the use of pesticides. Maybe you can find some tomatoes at your local market where some little farmer dude and his family meticulously went out each night, and every morning, and afternoon, and hand picked the horn worms off the tomato plants. But the produce you buy at the supermarket that comes in by bulk, has been treated! With ORGANIC pesticides. Yet, people spend extra dollars to buy it because it's "safer". No....it's not!

The number 2 reason they buy organic is because it's supposed to be more nutritious. No...it's not that either!

People are easily led and fundamentally stupid when they get together in large groups.  :biggrin:

EDIT:

As for GMO's...checkitout. Video at end of article.

http://www.salon.com/2014/07/31/neil_degrasse_tyson_goes_to_town_on_gmo_critics/
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Prog Snob

• Truth is not for all men, only those who seek it.
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2015, 06:53:44 PM »

http://www.salon.com/2014/07/31/neil_degrasse_tyson_goes_to_town_on_gmo_critics/

When I saw NDT go off about GMOs a couple of months back, it made me rethink my stance on the subject. I'm not saying everything he says should be considered gold, but if he ardently states something that is contrary to my opinion I will do more research on it.