Author Topic: Luxury Movie Theaters  (Read 1388 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Luxury Movie Theaters
« on: October 12, 2015, 11:13:35 AM »
I went to a real cinema over the weekend for the first time since seeing Godzilla. Apparently seats like these are a thing now. Movie ticket was only $7 too. Anyone else seeing these pop up ?

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Re: Luxury Movie Theaters
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 12:47:33 PM »
There are a ton of these in AZ now - popped up in the past 3 years I think. Some serve food to you in the movie, others serve alcoholic beverages. However - they are expensive. $20+ for the ticket alone. I saw the DT DVD release in one - it was a couch not a recliner. Pretty nice, but pricey in AZ. I rarely go to the movies, so I might also do it this way since it is really more of a treat than a normal weekend activity.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 12:57:42 PM »
There are a couple in St. Louis as well. I've yet to spring for the $$ to go....but my brother and his wife go quite a bit and they said it's nice.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 01:08:10 PM »
None of those around here, but that would be awesome.

Also, the $7.00 price you mentioned seems hard to believe.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 02:27:28 PM »
A couple theaters near me converted all their seats to these. They are fantastic. Also 7/8$ is about right for a matinee.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 02:39:43 PM »
I was shocked when I went to go see mad max, that the guy at the window was now asking me to select my seat and was like  :huh:

Then I go in there and I am like

Boy was I surprised. It had been quite a while since I went to the movies.

It was cool, but not enough to really snag me.

Its an interesting attempt to get people going back to the movies, but for me, besides major films to me such as James bond and Star wars, I have no desire to go to a physical theater

That $7 sounds pretty sweet. I saw the non 3D version of Mad max and I recall it being more than what it usually was, but who knows

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 05:52:44 AM »
The $7 bucks was for a 7:10 showing on a Friday night. Matinee is $5.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 08:24:36 AM »
Yeah, there are a couple of those pretty close to me. I saw Django Unchained at one a couple of years ago. I think it was $12, but I have no idea if that's cheap, high or normal around here. The one I went to didn't have recliners, but they were wide, leather seats with plenty of room. It has multiple screens, and I gather that the theaters range from tiny to large, so the size of the seats would vary. The one I was in was pretty small by old theater standards. You can reserve your seat online weeks in advance, if you like. They have wait service, though that's more annoying than anything else, but do serve alcoholic drinks.

The best part about the one I went to is that they have classic movies on Tuesday nights. I keep intending to catch some of those, but never think about it. Just missed Guns of Navarone, which I would have loved to see. That's a nice throwback to the old art deco theaters we had down here that would show a different double feature every night.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 08:46:20 AM »
The best part about the one I went to is that they have classic movies on Tuesday nights. I keep intending to catch some of those, but never think about it. Just missed Guns of Navarone, which I would have loved to see. That's a nice throwback to the old art deco theaters we had down here that would show a different double feature every night.
That would be so awesome.  The small town I live in DOES have a second-run theater, but under normal circumstances, it shows movies that were out recently (last year or so).  Every once in a while they will show something old (like Wizard of Oz or Gone With The Wind), but I would love it if they showed classic films more regularly.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 09:20:06 AM »
Gonna pick up my tickets for Back to the Future later today. The theater near me is showing that next Wednesday (which is the day Marty and Doc go to in BTTF2). Can. Not. Wait.

On the topic of the reclining seats... I personally hate it. Are we so f$^%ing lazy that we need to lay down in public for 2 hours? Also, God forbid you want to just "catch" a movie. Twice (out of the very few times I go to the movies these days) I've walked out because it's either sold out or only had front row tickets. If they had smaller seats (ie... not giant recliners), we wouldn't have to show up an hour early to get good seats, because there would be MORE.

Anyway, I will go see BTTF, and I will get good seats. I just have to buy them a week in advance.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 12:44:40 PM by OpenYourEyes311 »
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 10:59:21 AM »
That would be so awesome.  The small town I live in DOES have a second-run theater, but under normal circumstances, it shows movies that were out recently (last year or so).  Every once in a while they will show something old (like Wizard of Oz or Gone With The Wind), but I would love it if they showed classic films more regularly.
Yeah, I miss classic movies all the time. Coming up in a couple of weeks is Lawrence of Arabia, which I'd love to see on a big screen. Always thought the movie was a tad too slow (David Lean, after all), but it's a wonderful spectacle.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 11:32:56 AM »
That would be incredible on a big theater screen.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 04:08:33 PM »
Although I do really like those comfy recliners they have now, sadly it still doesn't change the people factor.

I don't know if other people are experiencing this as well, but lately people in the theater seem to be more and more disruptive and rude. Talking, texting or whatever and its just annoying.

so now I just watch stuff at home. Cheaper and more comfortable honestly.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 06:35:48 AM »
Here's my buddy's theater in his house.  Reclining theater seats. You name it, we have seen it there.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 06:46:14 AM »
I'm still kinda surprised that a lot of theaters in America doesn't have pre-determined seating. That's always been the case here, when you buy your tickets you pick where you want to be seated and every seat has its number. From what I have heard about America, most of the theaters have an open system where you gotta arrive early to get the best seats. Seems a bit like wasted time for me. Why waste 2 hours in front of the theater just to get a good spot, instead of having your seat secured and then show up right on time.

But hey that's me. :P

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 06:50:31 AM »
I'm still kinda surprised that a lot of theaters in America doesn't have pre-determined seating. That's always been the case here, when you buy your tickets you pick where you want to be seated and every seat has its number. From what I have heard about America, most of the theaters have an open system where you gotta arrive early to get the best seats. Seems a bit like wasted time for me. Why waste 2 hours in front of the theater just to get a good spot, instead of having your seat secured and then show up right on time.

When we buy tickets for our cinema, it has a seat number, although I've never been to a screening of a movie that was anywhere near full enough for it to really matter. People often sit wherever or move around when the movie starts, and nobody cares or enforces it. It's probably different if it's a full screening (such as what I imagine it will be when The Force Awakens opens), but I always go on opening night of movies, and there's usually only a couple of dozen people there at most.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2015, 05:05:30 PM »
The first time I ever went to one of those theaters was to see The Avengers in 3D. Now I'm fucking spoiled and can't see a movie any other way. I like the idea of being able to kick back and enjoy a nice cold beer while watching a movie.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2015, 08:19:33 PM »
Around here several have the nice kooshy seats that recline, but many still do not (it's about half and half)... and if it's a larger theater (20+ screens) there's usually no point in predetermined seating, espeically because there are so many theaters around here and multiple screens play the same movie if it's big enough. But the smaller theaters have predetermined seating.

I've been to ONE theater that actually served us. It was when I took my daughter to see My Little Pony Equestria Girls in the theater, and only a specialty theater was playing it.

We go to the movies fairly often compared to many, but it's something to do that's not super expensive, especially if we all have a day off and it's a matinee... most of the time the first show of the day is like $5 for tickets. We also use the AMC stubs reward which pays for itself after going to like 2 movies within a year, especially if all 3 of us go.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2015, 08:18:24 AM »

If I already know that the seat I want is mine, then I'll spend extra time smoking in my car and drinking for free. Waltz in 10 minutes after show time having skipped all of the commercials. When it's general admission you have to get there early to get a decent seat. That means more time to get thirsty/hungry and load up on overpriced pop/popcorn. Plus, you have to sit through the commercials. Better for the theater all the way around. 
E.F. Benson