Author Topic: Interesting Story from The Hartford Courant this weekend...  (Read 448 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Interesting Story from The Hartford Courant this weekend...
« on: October 12, 2015, 10:39:35 AM »
It involves the "uproar" in a Dunkin' Donuts.   A cop walked in, and the person behind the counter said, loudly, "We don't serve cops in here".  The cop walked out; the manager came out and asked him back in with an apology; the cop was fairly magnanimous, and only asked that the employee apologize to the people in the store. 

But the story won't die.   Some are "it's a joke; deal with it", and some are (I believe more correctly) "these statements can't be viewed in a vacuum".   There is a backlash against ALL cops based on the behaviors of a very very distinct minority.  Why is this okay?   I'm sure we would laugh off if the employee said "We don't serve environmental engineers in here", but would we laugh it off if the employee said "we don't serve transgenders in here"?   Are they different? Should they be? 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
Re: Interesting Story from The Hartford Courant this weekend...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 11:18:08 AM »
This seems like a stupid story.  I'm not sure there is any real depth to be mined here.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 11:33:34 AM »
This is not an isolated story. There have been several stories similar to this happening all over the country. Most people grow up with a "Fuck the Cops" mentality. What teenage doesn't want to buck authority. That being said, most people would still show respect and not want to actually harm a police officer. These people are not joking and should be fired. It is more dangerous to be a cop now than ever before. I just read a story about a guy who flagged a cop down pretending to ask for help and then beat the shit out of him. While this was going down another citizen filmed it on this phone and didn't even try to help. Oh and the guy was trying to take the cop's gun during the fight. What about the two NYC cops gunned down in their car last year? This is an issue. I get that there are bad cops, but the vast majority are good people who have to deal with the dregs of society on a day to day basis and they deserve respect until they do something that doesn't warrant it.

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 11:39:15 AM »
This seems like a stupid story.  I'm not sure there is any real depth to be mined here.
Well, that might be your bias   :yarr

What if

Was it because they were droids?  Rumor is it was because C-3PO is gay. 

BOOOM!!!  All ya all just got lit up, cup !!!
I wish death upon Mitch McConnell and Pat Robertson in comment sections all the time. I'll admit that I'd be thrilled if either one of them died of a stroke tonight.

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 12:33:22 PM »
Was the kid joking or not? Don't get me wrong, I'm sacking him either way if I'm the manager, but whether or not he was serious (somebody in some fast food drive-through did that a couple of months ago) or if it was a shitty attempt at humor is what determines if this is a real story or not. Context matters.

And this has come up plenty of times over the years. It's not a new phenomenon because suddenly everybody distrusts the police.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 12:40:47 PM »
I read about this several times. No idea why it is such a big deal. Reading this thread, I can't help think of..

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 12:56:45 PM »
Clearly Stadler is making a larger point.

If somebody jokingly said "nice package in your trousers" to Jenner, the rage would be swift and unrelenting.

If somebody jokingly said "kill any minorities today?" to a cop, it would be well, reacted to exactly like the reactions of this thread and the story.

It isn't a single story that Stadler is holding up here.  The story is just an "as an example".
I wish death upon Mitch McConnell and Pat Robertson in comment sections all the time. I'll admit that I'd be thrilled if either one of them died of a stroke tonight.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 01:17:08 PM »
Well, Calvin isn't far off.   

There's another story in the Courant this weekend, about an interview that Geno Auriemma (UConn Women's Basketball Coach) gave, where he used the term "bitch and moan" and he called some of the fans "goddamn stupid" (because they wouldn't come to the games because they knew they would be a blowout).   And there was an uproar, but most people (rightfully) said it was just "Geno being Geno".   (Geno is from Philly, tough kid, who built a world class women's basketball program from literally nothing; I was a freshman when he was hired, and he shared an office with the softball and soccer coaches, and they had one phone - this is a Division I school, mind you.  Ten championships later, there are more UConn women in the WNBA than any other school times two).

Then a kid at UConn goes into the Student Union and goes on a tirade because he can't get mac and cheese when he wants it.  He was ultimately arrested on a drunk and disorderly.   And there is the comparison that "why is what Geno said okay, but what this kid did not okay" (implying that they were the same).   And I thought this was wrong.  Geno wasn't coming from a place of entitlement.  He earned the right to speak his mind.  And for all he has done for women (literally you can't find ONE former player willing to speak badly about him) for him to be under fire because "bitch and moan" is offensive to women is ridiculous.  This douchebag kid was just being an entitled asshole.  I can't get my mac and cheese when I want it?  Whaaaaaaaa!

I think the stories have parallels.  What entitled that DD worker to make that joke?   It's not her time, it's her employers time. Go on Twitter or Facebook and make that joke, but not at the expense of that cop and that store owner.   This isn't PC nonsense, but rather respect for your circumstances.  I'm the last guy to call "PC!" on something (Hell, I defend Ted Nugent just about every time he opens his mouth to say something else stupid) but that's not this.   
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 01:40:34 PM by Stadler »

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 01:22:57 PM »
Clearly Stadler is making a larger point.

If somebody jokingly said "nice package in your trousers" to Jenner, the rage would be swift and unrelenting.

If somebody jokingly said "kill any minorities today?" to a cop, it would be well, reacted to exactly like the reactions of this thread and the story.

It isn't a single story that Stadler is holding up here.  The story is just an "as an example".
And if neither Jenner nor the cop were offended then Stadler would be decrying the mentality that makes a big stink about it. In this case the cop wasn't offended and handled it quite well, so I'm not sure why it should be such a big deal. This is actually not all that uncommon and Johnny's response tends to be about the same. Furthermore, if the joke were funny (in this case it was pretty lame), I think we'd both be suggesting that person lighten the fuck up about it. As we're both fond of saying, nothing guarantees you the right to not be offended, and an unwillingness to accept that is highly problematic.

edit: and since he elaborated in the preceding post, the problem actually is that the comment came from a menial employee who had no business pulling a stunt like that. Again, I'd fire her for being an idiot. If the owner of Dunkin Doughnuts pulled that the cops would write it off as unfortunate and move on with their business (as was demonstrated in a very similar case in a few years ago (Portland, I think). It's the stores right. Cest la vie.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 02:03:49 PM »
Yeah.  I don't see this as anything.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 02:23:27 PM »
Joking around is also qualified by the relationship.  In this case, there was none.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 10:19:24 PM »
An issue happened here recently which made the national news. A female sheriffs deputy claimed a Dunkin Donuts refused her service because she was a cop. The owner received death threats, and people blew up the stores phone with harassing calls, and garbage was repeatedly thrown at the store. Turns out it wasn't true. It never happened. The bitch made it up for attention I guess?
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 10:58:38 PM »
Googled, but I must have used the wrong key words because the story that came up was
Police:  Woman got naked at Dunkin Donuts.

Google must have remember my preferences and thought?

Did you mean naked woman?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 08:26:45 AM »
Did you mean naked woman?
Don't we all?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 11:27:07 AM »
I don't remember that story in the Hartford Courant, but I'm all ears!  ;)