Author Topic: The Martian (Spoilers)  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
The Martian (Spoilers)
« on: October 12, 2015, 05:44:51 AM »
Anyone else see this yet?

I really liked the movie except for two things. 1) There really wasn't a dark moment. The guy was stranded on Mars alone for nearly four years and appeared to be completely happy and sane the entire time. Based on everything I have read about the psychological elements of a journey to Mars, I find what we saw in the movie to be highly unlikely. 2) The Iron Man move at the end was really stupid. It took a seriously great movie and ended it in the least serious way as possible.

Despite those two things, I still really enjoyed it. I haven't seen Interstellar yet, but I can confidently say it was a million times better than Gravity. I'd give it a 8.6/10.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: The Martian (Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 06:35:33 AM »
I really liked it a lot (top3 movie of the year so far, behind Sicario and Ex Machina), but if they had scaled back on the "America F Yeah" stuff, it would have added another +.5 rating to the overall score for me. It was a great story about bringing back an astronaut, I don't need or want scenes with large groups of people gathered, following the events on big screens and cheering/waving with their flags. It didn't bother me that the NASA-guys did that (in fact it made perfect sense), but whenever they cut to Times Square and all the civilians cheering about saving ONE astronaut, it was just annoying.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 07:07:31 AM »
I really liked it a lot (top3 movie of the year so far, behind Sicario and Ex Machina), but if they had scaled back on the "America F Yeah" stuff, it would have added another +.5 rating to the overall score for me. It was a great story about bringing back an astronaut, I don't need or want scenes with large groups of people gathered, following the events on big screens and cheering/waving with their flags. It didn't bother me that the NASA-guys did that (in fact it made perfect sense), but whenever they cut to Times Square and all the civilians cheering about saving ONE astronaut, it was just annoying.

I actually kind of liked that and pointed it out to my girlfriend as we were leaving the theater. I think the point of those scenes was to achieve the opposite of "America F Yeah". It showed large gatherings of people all over the globe, and the Americans were the only ones waving flags. The movie definitely made it a point to emphasize the American flag waving. Almost to the point of annoyance. I took that as Ridley Scott's way of saying that we are way too wrapped up in ourselves. The rest of the world understood that this was a worldwide problem, needed the cooperation of all nations, and were cheering for the human race as a whole. The Americans, not even realizing that China saved the day, still waved their flags in the air as if we are the only thing that matters. I think that was definitely done on purpose, and was actually done to highlight our skewed view of patriotism.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 07:17:05 AM »
I don't know, I've always had a hard time with those kind of scenes. I think those kind of scenes are warranted if the mission involves saving our planet and helping mankind avoid destruction, but in this case it was the fate of ONE astronaut. I have a hard time believing people actually care that much. Sure, great that the NASA cares, great that the crew cares to bring him home, but it's the kind of thing I think a lot of people would just sit at home, hear the news and say "oh that's nice", but not go out of their way to follow, and meet up at big squares to watch giant monitors.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 08:57:57 AM by Zantera »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 07:33:47 AM »
Oh yeah. That I agree with completely  :lol When I left the theater one of the first things I said was "there's no way people would be that interested in a space mission". Hopefully I am proven wrong when we do eventually send humans there.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 08:10:43 AM »
Correction: he was not stranded on Mars for 4 years, he planned for that but with the crew in the Hermes doing the Rich Purnell Maneuver he was stranded more for like a year and half.

He even says something to that effect when he's reunited with the crew and they tell him he stinks.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 08:14:13 AM »
That's right. My B. Either way, I still don't think it's like he would have remained sane.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 08:25:18 AM »
I think constantly having stuff to do would help a great deal & when he finally was able to contact NASA & eventually Hermes - that would have ben very beneficial too.

Best Ridley Scott movie in donkeys. Much better than Prometheus and the last act wasn't as "WTF ??? " as Interstellar.

The ending to The Martian was very satisfying. The ending to Interstellar was just like :| I don't......what??

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 09:00:06 AM »
I didn't have a problem with the ending of Interstellar. I might actually put Interstellar over The Martian overall, not that it's a contest really. Two amazing sci-fi films in 2 years, it's great that the genre is producing some good films. :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 09:02:11 AM »
Yes !

And neither were a sequel, reboot or remake.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 09:09:33 AM »
The Martian was kind of just Cast Away in space.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 10:36:34 AM »

Exactly what I thought too.

But with a shitload of science.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 11:09:11 AM »
Really awesome interview.

https://www.popsci.com/martians

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 03:00:24 AM »
Interesting talk with Chris Hadfield, Andy Weir and Adam Savage about The Martian including scientific flaws in the book and movie.

https://youtu.be/Wq3xtZ8AjPE
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 07:03:02 AM »
Interesting talk with Chris Hadfield, Andy Weir and Adam Savage about The Martian including scientific flaws in the book and movie.

https://youtu.be/Wq3xtZ8AjPE

hey, thanks for this, I'm watching it right now :) xx

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2015, 08:00:03 AM »
 :tup Haven't read the book but hearing Chris praise it for being authentic atleast the "problem solving" mentality makes me intrigued.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline faizoff

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 08:25:20 AM »
Really enjoyed the movie when I saw it last month. Beautifully shot as expected by Ridley Scott.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2015, 08:43:13 AM »

THis is exactly how I felt and pretty much the reason why I wasn't crazy about the movie.  It wasnt bad at all, in fact I really liked Matt Damon in it, he had some good comedic parts as well.  I just felt the movie was somewhat boring.  The science and ways he was able to survive was really cool, but they could have made the movie an hour shorter.  I was struggling to stay awake at the end (granted I was really tired).

I also agree with the idea that he came off as being "fine" being alone on Mars for so long, that's not realistic at all.  Even in Cast Away Tom Hanks went bat shit crazy.

I rate the movie about a 6/10.  And it was wayyy better than Gravity and wayyy worse than Interstellar IMO.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2015, 09:56:49 AM »
Tom Hanks was alone for years wasn't he and had no human contact at all.

Mark Watney was on Mars for about 18 months and had human contact and kept himself occupied with constant problem solving.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2015, 10:02:22 AM »
Other than the easy 'someone is stuck somewhere' thing, I don't think The Martian and Cast Away are very similar movies. They are quite different.

For me, it's the best movie of the year so far. I never found it boring.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2015, 10:07:08 AM »
Yeah I wasn't bored. If anything I was surprised at how "light" it was. I was expecting something really miserable and depressing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2015, 02:42:03 AM »
Yes, surprisingly funny, a very important reason to connect to Damon's character as a person.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2015, 03:35:12 AM »
I wasn't planning on seeing the movie, but until recently, I had been really pumped to read the book, as I've seen huge amounts of praise for it. I even had several friends recommend it to me. How often do you get book recommendations from friends? (I never do, that's for sure).

About a week ago, I got the chance to read some sections and sample it. For all the hype, this was my first time seeing the actual text, and damn. The dude's prose was incredibly bland, the constant awkward internet humour in a novel was awful, and the character just seemed like an ass.

Reading others' comments since, I've seen a considerable minority of people echo what Chino said. For all the science geeking out, there's no depth to it whatsoever. While stranded on Mars for years, the main character doesn't change in any way, he isn't psychologically affected, and he never experiences a profound thought.

Basically, I'm REALLY glad I sampled it before buying it.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2015, 11:18:07 AM »
I saw it at the movies last night, only the third time I go to a movie this year after Jurassic World and Back to the Future 2 heh
I really liked it, I like the positive vibe it maintains almost all throughout, I like that it's about the triumph of will power and the merits of knowledge and creativity.
Earlier in the movie when the crew was heading back to the shuttle to leave due to the storm; it looked and felt like Dead Space for a moment and I wondered how amazing it would be for me to have a live action movie based on Dead Space, that would be spectacular!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.