Author Topic: The cat appreciation thread  (Read 51613 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: The cat appreciation thread
« Reply #210 on: November 16, 2017, 03:00:52 PM »
Aww. That cat, he's a bit of a grump. A fat, lazy grump. We found him and the black one together in a box on the side of the road, they weren't very healthy to begin with. We've just thought of them as brothers since we got them :) they're 7 now... the little one is 2, she was only a couple weeks old in that photo up there and loooves both the older ones. :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: November 16, 2017, 03:49:20 PM »
Yeah, Maggie was a bit of grump when she was younger, but she's 17 now and is just a sweet dottering ol' lady. Still, she is a seal point Siamese so, yeah, vocal as hell when things aren't her way.  :lol
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: November 16, 2017, 03:51:00 PM »
Yeah, Maggie was a bit of grump when she was younger, but she's 17 now and is just a sweet dottering ol' lady. Still, she is a seal point Siamese so, yeah, vocal as hell when things aren't her way.  :lol

:lol :lol Is she a hisser too? Old boy has quite a temper himself  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: November 16, 2017, 03:55:13 PM »
No, she's only ever hissed at Sagan (our dog) and only when he was a little puppy. If she was grumpy in her younger days it was more subtle than spitting, clawing or running away. For instance, if she thought her litter wasn't fresh enough, she might climb into a house plant, turn around, look you right in the eye, put her ears back and have a nice piss.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: November 17, 2017, 04:56:36 AM »
Before Victoria and I bought the house, her cat (Tomas) was at her parents' house. Despite V begging them to be careful about leaving doors open, her folks would absent mindedly let him out constantly. Sometimes he'd disappear for days on end before coming home. She'd always be worried sick come day 3 and 4, so I eventually got a GPS collar for the guy (which he managed to lose the first time he escaped). We're very careful at our house and he's never escaped, but he's very much accustomed to the outdoors and what it can provide. That could maybe be why I feel a little bad about it. Had he been a house cat his whole life, that'd be one thing. But for the first two years of his existence, he was regularly out in wild murdering birds and stuff.

Our cat has never been outside except for maybe once or twice when she escaped until last year when we bought a house. We started letting her outside to see what she would do and she didn't do anything except murder every bug and lay out in the sun. We aren't too worried about her running away because at any noise outside she darts back in. If she doesn't want to go in and forces me to chase her in circles I just call the dog and he'll chase her inside.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: December 08, 2017, 04:27:10 PM »
So, about a year ago, Maggie began "singing the song of her people" at the water bowl every morning. I think the official term is caterwauling...a sort of forlorn yowl that I like to call "summoning the pride down to the watering hole."

She waits until the coffee is done and Mrs. P and I are otherwise engaged and starts in with her aria while she sits next to the bowl and occasionally pats the surface of the water with her paw. I've only been able to personally witness it a few times because if she gets a whiff of someone watching, she slinks off in a stealthy crouch.

It's been kind of a charming addition to the rhythm of our lives: two empty-nesters quietly sipping coffee while the dog snores and the cat sings. Until, about a month ago when she began doing every time she goes to get a drink, and I mean every time. It's starting to drive me nuts. On the weekend I'll get this annoying serenade twenty times per day.

Do any of you have a cat that does this? Is it just because she's old and senile?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: December 08, 2017, 07:30:50 PM »
It could be but I’m not sure. I kind of have a similar annoyance, I’ve teained our cat to wake me up in the middle of the night so I can pet her. She runs across the room and claws at the wall and when she sees me she runs to the bed and hops up so I can pet her. I’m not doing a very good job at breaking the habit.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #217 on: December 10, 2017, 08:59:29 PM »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: December 11, 2017, 03:04:01 AM »
I wish we could do that with our cat but it would be a disaster

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: December 11, 2017, 09:10:17 AM »
 :lol the cat looks to be enjoying it more than most children.

As for the cat singing, I've never heard of that before, but my cat drinks from the water really loudly and only when I'm not watching.  It sounds like he's really pigging out with the water and it's really loud, but the moment I come near the kitchen, he stops and stares at me.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: December 11, 2017, 09:36:51 AM »
Mrs. P was able to capture Maggie singing at the water bowl a couple of times this weekend. They're just short snipits and not the full-throated minute long serenades because Maggie's still trying to be sneaky about it. I'll try and get them on YouTube later for folks to check out.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #221 on: December 11, 2017, 08:14:33 PM »
My older cat is obsessed with the water bowl. If the level isn't to her liking she starts moving it around and will also occasionally sing the song of her people at it. But both of my cats are extremely vocal so I'm used to them meowing at just about any time. It's pretty hilarious but sometimes maddening. I recently dug up this video of what happens when I spend the night out (video quality and lighting is terrible but it's really about the sound :lol): https://youtu.be/wcX70bHvZ3U
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: December 12, 2017, 04:46:45 AM »
That's the kind of greeting my cat gives me lol. Lots to say.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: December 12, 2017, 07:09:40 AM »
Okay, following is one of the snipits that Mrs. P caught. Sorry for the slow streaming but apparently my copy of Adobe Premier is so old that it doesn't think iPhone .mov are legitimate video files. Thus, I had no way of converting it to a streaming-friendly mp4 format.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXN1k50P420

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #224 on: December 12, 2017, 08:17:18 AM »
:lol, ouch. That's funny, Smoochie was very intrigued by the video. She always comes over to investigate what's playing on my phone.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: December 12, 2017, 08:35:27 AM »
It was funny and cute when she first started doing it, but after a year and thousands of those little songs later it's starting to drive me crazy.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 08:54:54 AM by Podaar »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: December 12, 2017, 08:44:18 AM »
 :lol That's cute! It sounds like she's trying to talk!

I don't think I shared this one... a few years ago my dad had just come in from shoveling snow and in the dining room he noticed Luna (the black cat) enjoying the heating vent... that's been 'his spot' ever since. You can see his lil fangs!  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: December 12, 2017, 08:50:42 AM »
Aaaah,  :heart

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #228 on: December 12, 2017, 09:48:55 PM »
That pose is amazing.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #229 on: December 23, 2017, 11:31:10 AM »
My mom told me that our family cat of 13 years died this morning. It wasn't a shock, but it's still heart breaking.

Actually cried for the first time in like 10+ years.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: December 23, 2017, 01:05:43 PM »
I'm so sorry, Man.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: January 05, 2018, 04:23:08 PM »
Okay, following is one of the snipits that Mrs. P caught. Sorry for the slow streaming but apparently my copy of Adobe Premier is so old that it doesn't think iPhone .mov are legitimate video files. Thus, I had no way of converting it to a streaming-friendly mp4 format.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXN1k50P420

I just watched this and  :lol

My mom told me that our family cat of 13 years died this morning. It wasn't a shock, but it's still heart breaking.

Sorry man, that sucks.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: January 05, 2018, 05:25:16 PM »
Very late on seeing that. I'm so sorry, Adami. :(

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #233 on: January 07, 2018, 12:35:15 PM »

Sorry for your loss. *hugs*

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #234 on: January 07, 2018, 02:11:32 PM »
Thanks guys. I put it up on FB too and got a whole lot of positive support, so it's been really helpful.

-DTF hug-
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: April 19, 2019, 09:46:30 PM »
I kinda owe it to you folks to let you know; Maggie finally succumbed to old age. It’s been about three weeks since she died and I’m still having a hard time catching my breath. Nearly 19 years of having her demanding my attention...you’d think I’d be relieved by the peace and quiet but instead I find myself horrified by the silence.

Good gods, the little shits get under your skin.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #236 on: April 19, 2019, 10:11:32 PM »
Condolences to you.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #237 on: April 20, 2019, 04:38:20 AM »
So sorry my friend.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: April 20, 2019, 07:00:27 AM »
Sorry, guys. I'd probably drank more than was really wise last night. It looks like I got a bit melodramatic and started surfing on my phone. My Facebook page has a picture of her posted on it and a gloomy message too.  :lol

Thanks for your support.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: April 20, 2019, 07:35:49 AM »
Just as my cat was being a real drama queen this morning I read this and feel upset and sad.  Sorry for your loss.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: April 20, 2019, 09:49:43 AM »
So sorry Podaar :(

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #241 on: April 20, 2019, 05:30:46 PM »
I kinda owe it to you folks to let you know; Maggie finally succumbed to old age. It’s been about three weeks since she died and I’m still having a hard time catching my breath. Nearly 19 years of having her demanding my attention...you’d think I’d be relieved by the peace and quiet but instead I find myself horrified by the silence.

Good gods, the little shits get under your skin.

Losing a pet is never easy. Anyone who isn’t an animal person doesn’t understand that these little critters are a part of the family, and at times, we need them more than they need us. I’m so sorry for your loss, but hopefully you can take solace in the fact that she lived a happy and long life thanks to your love and care.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: April 21, 2019, 07:18:08 AM »
Thanks Orbert, King, Cram, Kattelox, and Count. I really appreciate your kindness and it helps.

The last few days I've been experiencing a delayed reaction to the grief. I'm normally a pretty happy, go-lucky guy and after Maggie's death I just picked up life like nothing was wrong. I couldn't even summon a good memory to relive...when I thought of her at all, which wasn't much, I could only recall the image of her lying on that cold, stainless steel, table at the veterinary clinic.

But the last few days things have changed. I expect to see her everywhere I go. Unexpected memories leap to mind bringing a stunning sorrow along for good measure. Grief is a gleefully wicked guest, isn't it? It callously takes up my Kodachrome memories and morbidly tints them in grays and reds. What should be a joyfully thing, now grips my throat and stings my eyes. I think I may have let all this fester a bit too long.

Last night I was finally able to talk with Mrs. P about my poisoned memories. She and I had a good cry and I think it  helped. We'll see.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #243 on: April 21, 2019, 07:43:59 AM »
I dread the upcoming years after reading this.  Our 2 cats are 15 years old. They our are life. We were never able to have children so they are our children.

We lost our first cat Rikki right before Christmas 2003.  It was heartbreaking.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ruba

« Reply #244 on: May 05, 2019, 03:37:26 PM »
I've always liked cats despite being slightly allergic. My father has two Scottish tom cats, one black and one grey. I was first a bit apprehensive when he got them because of my condition but thankfully it has alleviated from the time I was a kid and I hardly get sneezy anymore. Seeing those two scroundrels is almost the highlight of every time I visit him (well he's one great fogey anyways and it's great to spend time with him :)). I'd love to send some pictures, but he's kinda old school and not really fond of social media. I might be able to persuade him though. :laugh: