Author Topic: The cat appreciation thread  (Read 51636 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The cat appreciation thread
« Reply #175 on: April 26, 2017, 02:07:10 PM »
 :heart

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2017, 02:15:45 PM »
Our cat lily is able to go outside for the first time. It's always been an apartment cat but now we have a fenced in back yard we figured we'd let her out, she'll take two steps out and that's enough. She does love laying outside though.

Yeah, Maggie has been an indoor cat for nearly all of her 17 years. About five years ago, we started encouraging her to go out in the backyard. It probably took her two years to venture beyond the back step to the sitting area and every Spring she seemingly needs to get her courage up as the weather improves. By mid summer, she'll go as far as the Elderberry bushes behind the yard swing (about 30 feet from the back patio).

Here's the kicker though, she hates grass! She literally won't walk on it and if you put her down on the grass she'll just meow forlornly and give you a look like, "Your carpet out here sucks ass!"  :lol  She gets out to the yard swing by carefully walking along the garden curbing. It's funny as hell to watch her avoid the lawn. Somewhere, I have a video of her doing it. I'll try to find it and share with the thread.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #177 on: April 26, 2017, 03:05:11 PM »

My love bugs Sally & Harry.  Brother and sister from the same litter. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2017, 07:19:51 PM »
That's pretty cute. My cat isn't nearly that sweet however at 2am she loves to come into bed and touch her nose to mine while purring as loud as possible.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #179 on: April 26, 2017, 08:48:30 PM »

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #180 on: April 26, 2017, 09:36:45 PM »
A girl I work with said one day that all she wanted to do was watch kittens on cam and someone found her this:

https://catcafebk.com/kitten-cam/

Apparently cat cafes are starting to pop up and I kind of want to go to one.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #181 on: April 27, 2017, 07:42:30 AM »
iPet Companion used to list several humane societies where you could remotely move objects to play with cats. Sadly, they shut down :(

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: April 27, 2017, 07:46:17 AM »
Our cat lily is able to go outside for the first time. It's always been an apartment cat but now we have a fenced in back yard we figured we'd let her out, she'll take two steps out and that's enough. She does love laying outside though.

Yeah, Maggie has been an indoor cat for nearly all of her 17 years. About five years ago, we started encouraging her to go out in the backyard. It probably took her two years to venture beyond the back step to the sitting area and every Spring she seemingly needs to get her courage up as the weather improves. By mid summer, she'll go as far as the Elderberry bushes behind the yard swing (about 30 feet from the back patio).

Here's the kicker though, she hates grass! She literally won't walk on it and if you put her down on the grass she'll just meow forlornly and give you a look like, "Your carpet out here sucks ass!"  :lol  She gets out to the yard swing by carefully walking along the garden curbing. It's funny as hell to watch her avoid the lawn. Somewhere, I have a video of her doing it. I'll try to find it and share with the thread.

Here's the video I mentioned. It's kinda shaky because I took it with my phone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWEe0kY1xjQ

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: April 27, 2017, 08:08:40 AM »
 :lol

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #184 on: April 27, 2017, 09:12:17 AM »
When we got two kittens last year we were a bit worried about how our other two cats would react to them.  As you can see Bernie took to them straight away.   Our other cat Sooty was a little put out to begin with, but came round after about a month.

Bernie with Suki....

Bernie with Ozzy....

« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 09:20:41 AM by soupytwist »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: April 29, 2017, 05:12:13 AM »
My cat just did me a solid. I left the door open last night a big moth flew in. I tried to catch it because I knew my gf was going to freak out in the morning, couldn't catch it. Came downstairs this morning and Lily are cat is sitting there watching it flap around with a missing wing. She looks at me with a look like "I took care of it"

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #186 on: April 29, 2017, 04:18:06 PM »
:tup

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #187 on: April 29, 2017, 08:26:32 PM »
My cat just did me a solid. I left the door open last night a big moth flew in. I tried to catch it because I knew my gf was going to freak out in the morning, couldn't catch it. Came downstairs this morning and Lily are cat is sitting there watching it flap around with a missing wing. She looks at me with a look like "I took care of it"

That story could have went another way.

My cat just did me a solid...pile of shit on the carpet.

Offline Cable

« Reply #188 on: May 01, 2017, 07:39:38 PM »
I had to put this guy down today- not even 10 years young. Collins, named after Phil Collins.
*P.S.A. under photo

* PSA- Cat owners! Put away any of your string like items. Swallowing a foreign object is what got Collins, and the cost of surgery was too much for me to do.
---

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #189 on: May 01, 2017, 07:47:17 PM »
I'm sorry for your loss.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #190 on: May 01, 2017, 07:50:07 PM »
I am so sorry for your loss.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: May 01, 2017, 08:15:33 PM »
Sorry, that's terrible

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #192 on: May 02, 2017, 11:35:42 AM »

Our 4 cats at feeding time!

From left to Right.
Bernie, Ozzy, Suki and Sooty.

So, Sooty looks a lot like our Little Bob.

She was the first cat, so I'll start with her story. She belonged to my girlfriend before we ever met. She lived with her parents at the time and Little Bob as a kitten would come around for food and eventually they got her inside. They named her before knowing the she was not a girl. She is named after Sergei Bobrovsky who played for the Flyers at the time. Pictured here is one of the few times she does not have her collar with the Flyers tag on it. One strange thing about her is I've given her the opportunity multiple times to live without her collar but she always drags it out and lays near it. For whatever reason she actually likes having it on, seemingly.

Our next cat came after we were together. My aunt has a chunk of land and a barn and a litter of kittens took to staying there at one point. Xanadu was by far the smallest and unhealthiest of the bunch, and also pitch black which we love. Several trips to the vet and medicines later Xanadu was very healthy and while she was and is still a tiny cat, got to be a much healthier weight. She is definitely the most mischievous of the cats. Getting into the dryer, refrigerator, open drawers, etc. She is also by far the one who wants to play the most.

Then there is our third rescue, Bagheera. He was both an omen and a perfect example of a cat adopting his humans. We were looking for a new house and on our first visit to the place we ended up buying we saw Bagheera, another all black cat. The house happened to be the one we liked the most of everything we initially saw, so every time we would come back with family to get more opinions on it he would be there. Two months or so later we would close, and we had two weeks of "soft" moving before the final moving day and would start leaving food and water out for him. We came to learn that the previous "real" resident (the guy we bought it from fixed/improved/flipped it) had the cat and ended up kicking it out of the house. From all account she was a drug addict and had a slew of mental health issues. It's oddly not noticeable in the picture I have here, but Bagheera's one eye is screwed up (thankfully the vet says he still has sight out of it, but no clue how good it is), and we don't know if that happened in his time outside or inside, as we've always had the fear based on how he reacts to certain things that he was abused in some way previously. He would eventually come to lay on my lap outside, then would come inside just to eat and then ask to be let back out again, then would start spending the coldest nights inside, and is now firmly our cat. He goes out every morning, and sometimes comes back in an hour later when my girlfriend leaves, and sometimes stays out till one of us gets home from work. And he'll sometimes take some evening hours outside too, but always spends the overnight in with us. I love having a cat that is free, is let out whenever he wants, but stays for the most part on our property and always comes back home. I feel bad for Little Bob who often wants to go out, but for a variety of reasons we can never let out alone.

Will post some more stuff shortly.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #193 on: May 02, 2017, 11:44:45 AM »
So, cat training.

My big accomplishment was to get all three cats to sit for their wet or dry food. Jennie has taken that to a whole new level.

For treats the cats have to high five. Bob and Xanadu are at the point where even if treats are not present they will high five. Bagheera started a little later in training and is still behind. He's currently being made to acknowledge the difference between going up with both paws and just one. The video here is early on in the training for the first two.

https://youtu.be/H5ywNff7KBY
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: May 02, 2017, 11:52:12 AM »
Nice!  I think my cat is just about fully trained now to give a kiss (nose to nose) for a treat.  Been working on it for a few weeks and he's got it down pretty good that if I say kiss without a treat he will still try to kiss me (or just start kissing me if he thinks I have a treat).  Next is to train for paw, but those high fives are pretty good, not sure I can get him to do that  :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #195 on: May 02, 2017, 11:53:54 AM »
Nice!  I think my cat is just about fully trained now to give a kiss (nose to nose) for a treat.  Been working on it for a few weeks and he's got it down pretty good that if I say kiss without a treat he will still try to kiss me (or just start kissing me if he thinks I have a treat).  Next is to train for paw, but those high fives are pretty good, not sure I can get him to do that  :lol

Nice, forgot about one thing myself. Whenever we pick Xanadu up she is required to give a nose boop to be let down.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: May 02, 2017, 01:00:30 PM »
That's awesome, Nick. I've trained my dog to give high fives for treats but it never occurred to me to have the cat do it. Then again, she doesn't like treats.  :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #197 on: November 14, 2017, 04:31:45 PM »

My new kitten Leia. I’ve only had her for a week and I’m already in love.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: November 15, 2017, 05:38:55 AM »
What gorgeous baby kitty! /smooshy voice

From the expression in her eyes, on the second picture, I'd say she is purring like a diesel.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: November 15, 2017, 03:24:37 PM »
Cute kitty.

I've noticed my cat lately has been super loving towards me.  I think since I had been traveling a lot more lately for work and my brother now has a gf and is hardly home, he starting to realize he misses having someone around.  It's really noticeable how much more affectionate he has been since I got back from my last trip. 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #200 on: November 15, 2017, 09:38:04 PM »
What gorgeous baby kitty! /smooshy voice

From the expression in her eyes, on the second picture, I'd say she is purring like a diesel.

You’re absolutely correct about that. She loves being loved.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: November 16, 2017, 06:09:07 AM »
Had a couple cardinals toying with my cat this morning. I have a nice big window in my living room with some small trees on the otherwise of it. There were two cardinals in the trees which had my cat going wild. I came over to check it out cause cardinals are really cool looking birds... and then the other one (I only noticed one at first) bolted and scared the shit out of me flying out of no where right at my face hitting the window  :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #202 on: November 16, 2017, 08:26:50 AM »
Had a couple cardinals toying with my cat this morning. I have a nice big window in my living room with some small trees on the otherwise of it. There were two cardinals in the trees which had my cat going wild. I came over to check it out cause cardinals are really cool looking birds... and then the other one (I only noticed one at first) bolted and scared the shit out of me flying out of no where right at my face hitting the window  :lol

We have a huge living room window looking out front as well. Put the giant cat tower there, and along the back of our couch we have a nice fluffy blanket we run between the couch and window base. It's generally the cats favorite place to just hang out. When I'm at one end of the couch on the PS4 at night it's very common to have 1 cat on the other end of the couch, 2 up on the blanket, and 1 in the tower.

Then, as a bonus, we had the idea to put a bird feeder hanging about 5' out from the window... it's hilarious to see up to 4 cats doing some combination of but wiggling or chattering.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: November 16, 2017, 08:41:56 AM »
Cute kitty.

I've noticed my cat lately has been super loving towards me.  I think since I had been traveling a lot more lately for work and my brother now has a gf and is hardly home, he starting to realize he misses having someone around.  It's really noticeable how much more affectionate he has been since I got back from my last trip. 

My gf travels for work so our cat really has formed an attachment to me. Whenever I come home she runs downstairs to greet me and when I go to bed she meows at me so I can roll on my back so she can lay on my heat and can pet her. For cat that always looks angry she can certainly be sweet.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: November 16, 2017, 09:21:39 AM »

We have a huge living room window looking out front as well. Put the giant cat tower there, and along the back of our couch we have a nice fluffy blanket we run between the couch and window base. It's generally the cats favorite place to just hang out. When I'm at one end of the couch on the PS4 at night it's very common to have 1 cat on the other end of the couch, 2 up on the blanket, and 1 in the tower.

Then, as a bonus, we had the idea to put a bird feeder hanging about 5' out from the window... it's hilarious to see up to 4 cats doing some combination of but wiggling or chattering.

That's a good idea actually hahaha I'm not sure I want to attract so many birds close to my driveway and cars though.  There used to actually be a bird that would hang out in front of the window for the first few years I lived here, but haven't seen him after last winter so wonder if something happened to that bird.  I have this picture of that bird bringing a preying mantis to show off for my cat:

I find it so funny how the cats interact with the outside world (and how the outside world interacts with them), especially since mine hasn't been outside since he was born  :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #205 on: November 16, 2017, 09:31:00 AM »
I'd like to do something like this at the next house I buy. I feel so bad that our cat doesn't get to experience outside in any capacity other than sitting in an open window.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: November 16, 2017, 09:35:47 AM »
I don't think I'm willing to go that far for Buddy, as much as he loves the windows and looking out, he hasn't shown one single bit of want to actually go outside.  Usually hides when the door is open and I can leave it open all day and he won't attempt to go out. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #207 on: November 16, 2017, 09:42:01 AM »
Before Victoria and I bought the house, her cat (Tomas) was at her parents' house. Despite V begging them to be careful about leaving doors open, her folks would absent mindedly let him out constantly. Sometimes he'd disappear for days on end before coming home. She'd always be worried sick come day 3 and 4, so I eventually got a GPS collar for the guy (which he managed to lose the first time he escaped). We're very careful at our house and he's never escaped, but he's very much accustomed to the outdoors and what it can provide. That could maybe be why I feel a little bad about it. Had he been a house cat his whole life, that'd be one thing. But for the first two years of his existence, he was regularly out in wild murdering birds and stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #208 on: November 16, 2017, 09:54:56 AM »
Wanted to share some photos of my three cats.  :biggrin: Hope they all display properly.

Bonus photos of them as kittens :)

From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: November 16, 2017, 12:16:50 PM »

This one looks just like my Margret-Elizabeth (Maggie)  :heart