Author Topic: The cat appreciation thread  (Read 51628 times)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The cat appreciation thread
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2015, 04:51:40 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear that. I've never had to put a pet down but I can only imagine how hard it is. I was destroyed the day my mom called and told me my childhood cat had drowned in a neighbors pool even though she was growing very old and we thought for sure we were going to have to put her down eventually. I've grown so attached to my cat and she shares the love back tenfold so the thought of having to potentially put her down on day really depresses me even though, hopefully, it's a long ways off.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2015, 11:17:23 AM »
So sorry for the loss! I also know how it is to dread the day...

On a lighter note:
Two pics from last week's professional pet photo shoot. I could only afford two digital downloads, but I'm also getting some prints and stuff.

This was right after Smoochie (left) attacked Zorg (right) for no apparent reason, so i was all like " :o:lol

And here is Smooch being a complete badass:

Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2015, 11:44:49 AM »
How does everyone feel about sphynx cats ?

I think they're gorgeous personally.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2015, 11:49:05 AM »
Never really liked those actually.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2015, 11:58:40 AM »
I'd love to meet one and pet it.

I love how they have really big eyes and ears.

I follow a few people on Instagram who have Sphynx and they all say they're really loving.  :heart

more so than "normal" cats.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2015, 11:58:57 AM »
I don't let my cats outside, and I think it's cruel that people do. Yes, cats are naturally outside animals, but if you're going to have a pet cat, it should stay inside.

I don't let my cat out anymore, since we moved to an appartment in the middle of a town, but when we lived in the house, I felt cruel if I didn't let her out. She loved being outside, don't see why that'd be cruel.

I don't know if I'd call it cruel, but the average lifespan for an indoor cat is 12-20 years. An outdoor cat is 1-5.
Is this an American thing or something? In the UK everyone lets their cats outdoors once they're old enough, unless they don't have a garden. And almost no cats die young. Unless they've been specially bred that way then keeping cats indoors is, if anything, the cruel thing. They are naturally outdoor animals.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2015, 07:54:56 PM »
Well, not really domesticated ones. And they definitely do not live as long going outside. They're exposed to other animals, diseases, cars, the elements, crazy-ass people. I mean, it's sort of common sense. I'm not saying it's cruel to let them out because they generally want to be out there (not all of them, I've found) but you are most definitely endangering them when you let them outside. My family lost/almost lost several pets to cars in my childhood, so for me it's a no-brainer.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline amatteroflight

• Bird photographer
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2015, 01:39:47 AM »
I love cats. (and DOGS!)

We have five cats right now (had more before) and were doing lots of fostering and rescuing as well. So had a lot of kitties.

We never let ours outside (with the exception of two who can go under supervision only), as cats are best indoors. They harm wildlife and once they grow up indoors they won't care about being outside. In Australia there is a big problem with released or feral and wild cats (in the outback) that just decimate native Aussie wildlife. Cats here have no real natural predators (other than another introduced feral, the red fox) and thus they wreak havoc among Aussie natives.

We have a Burmese, Burmilla, Oriental and two moggies right now. Not sure if the term moggie is universal, it means a domestic short-haired cat.

Alas:

Bella the tabby Oriental and Normann a chocolate Burmese (10yo and 12yo)

Lucy (on my lap now) a tortoiseshell or calico ssh (9yo)

Miles is a brown-shaded Burmilla (12yo)

Vale old Tom, who was sadly put to sleep due to kidney failure on Dec 29, 2014

While this is Sabrina (one of two black sisters we rehomed) I don't have a photo handy of the
black girl we have, Ebony. She was rescued off the side of a dark road at night as a kitten.
She got adopted, then was returned to us a few months ago as the couple had split.
Leave footprints only….

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2015, 01:51:00 AM »
Well, not really domesticated ones. And they definitely do not live as long going outside. They're exposed to other animals, diseases, cars, the elements, crazy-ass people. I mean, it's sort of common sense. I'm not saying it's cruel to let them out because they generally want to be out there (not all of them, I've found) but you are most definitely endangering them when you let them outside. My family lost/almost lost several pets to cars in my childhood, so for me it's a no-brainer.
Maybe it's also about how your neighbourhood look? I mean, if you live in an area where there's not a lot of traffic it can make sense. But as with much else, it's also about how you raise your cat. My little furry ball has lived indoors all his life and when I tried to use a leash and go out with him, he found the outside frightening and just pulled me back in.  :lol

Also, my cat is a mean, badass motherfucker.

Here's my awesome cat planning his world domination, starting with my Facebook account:

Here he's packing all his weapons to prepare for judgement day:

Here he is showing me who's the real boss:
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2015, 09:07:03 AM »
There is no way I let my cat outside. Mostly for the lifespan. I'd like to keep my cat alive and hanging with me as long as possible. I've had him for one year but I honestly at this point think would really struggle outside in the environment, the guy has trouble catching  his toys in the house.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2015, 07:07:29 PM »

I think they're creepy as fuck. They're also a pain in the ass to take care of. My sister has one and her tales don't make endear me further to them. Seems they don't clean themselves like other cats, so once a week it's cat bath time!
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2015, 10:52:52 AM »
I dont think Ive ever actually seen on in person so I have no experience, but they dont really look attractive so I wouldn't choose to get one, either way, all of the cats I have had were adopted and you dont usually see special cat breeds at the shelter (at least from my experience).

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2015, 12:10:37 PM »

I think they're creepy as fuck. They're also a pain in the ass to take care of. My sister has one and her tales don't make endear me further to them. Seems they don't clean themselves like other cats, so once a week it's cat bath time!

That's not surprising. A cat with no hair would probably evolve to no longer have the desire to constantly lick their coat clean. What's the tongue like on a hairless cat? Is it still rough like sandpaper? If not, that'd support my hypothesis (unless the hairless gene evolved faster than the rough tongue gene).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 06:19:02 AM by Chino »

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2016, 06:19:09 AM »

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2016, 07:12:03 AM »
That's pretty cool, really.  But the monument is... a litter box?

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2016, 05:06:32 AM »
I knew it

Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2016, 05:22:46 AM »

I think they're quite unique and intriguing, but I don't think I'd ever want to own one.

Speaking of cats, this is for anyone who is local. I have two cats I need to get rid of. My daughter has developed an allergy to cats, so instead of keeping them at her mother's they are now staying with me since she is with me much less. So if anyone here wants, or know someone who wants, a cat, let me know. I have two of them and can provide photos.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2016, 01:03:15 PM »
We got a baby burmese recently.  He's sweet with us but he's a terror to his older brothers, and they're like "get away from me, brat!".  Hopefully he'll calm down after neutering. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2016, 03:30:25 PM »
God bless creatures who always smell, never bathe, have 60-grit tongues, are disobedient as hell, are intelligent enough to frantically run right in front of speeding cars, and attack you unprovoked.

I didn't do this shit in the dog thread so don't do it here.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2016, 04:10:06 PM »
God bless creatures who always smell, never bathe, have 60-grit tongues, are disobedient as hell, are intelligent enough to frantically run right in front of speeding cars, and attack you unprovoked.

The funny thing is that other than the 60-grit tongue thing, this comment is a much better description for dogs than it is for cats (and a rough tongue is better than a wet one).
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2016, 04:26:13 PM »

The funny thing is that other than the 60-grit tongue thing, this comment is a much better description for dogs than it is for cats (and a rough tongue is better than a wet one).

Yes quite. Dogs always stink. And cats constantly clean themselves.

Offline Cable

« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2016, 07:19:25 PM »
---

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2016, 08:53:33 PM »
I am sorry, but it is bull shit to say that cats do not smell.  Sure, dogs smell worse, but cats are still animals that smell. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2016, 10:47:47 PM »
All animals smell. The degree to which they smell is a different story.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2016, 02:16:08 AM »
This thread more than proves that dog people bang on and on about how cats are inferior to dogs.

Whereas cat people just prefer cats.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2016, 06:44:07 AM »
I am sorry, but it is bull shit to say that cats do not smell.  Sure, dogs smell worse, but cats are still animals that smell.

Dog breath alone renders this invalid. I dunno what cats you've been hanging around but I have never run across a truly smelly cat especially since the majority lick themselves clean for nearly half of the day.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: July 03, 2016, 07:06:00 AM »
Everyone needs to take a step back and chill. This isn't a debate thread. Stop derailing it.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2016, 07:33:33 AM »
This thread more than proves that dog people bang on and on about how cats are inferior to dogs.

Whereas cat people just prefer cats.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2016, 09:10:37 AM »
We have a cat named George (named after George Romero). He adopted us from the animal shelter. I say that because as we were looking at animals in the pound, when I walked by the cage he was in he started caterwauling and reached out with his paw in a desperate attempt to get my attention. It worked. That was 14 years ago. He was 1 or possibly 2 when we got him. And I know now our time is shorter everyday. I can't even imagine what that day will be like when he's gone. He and I have long had a special relationship that Mrs.Vox calls our "bromance". He sleeps curled up against my stomach or back every night. When he's been sick or needed to go to the vet, only I can comfort him.

The husky lays on the floor behind my chair when I write. But George will sit and stare at me when he wants me to take a break. He gets physically depressed when I'm traveling, and anytime I get out luggage to pack he crawls inside and clings on with his claws when I try and lift him out.

He's a Turkish Van, which means he's a swimming cat. Anytime I'm in the pool he as to swim with me. He loves to be in and play in the water. Another characteristic of his breed is that they LOVE to play fetch. He and our Husky, Dreyfuss have so much in common that they hang out and often play together. He is by far the coolest cat I've ever been responsible for; and he has become one of my best friends.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline dparrott

« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2016, 11:34:55 AM »
Cat bodies don't smell in my experience, but their breath.....daaaag nasty!  The first thing I said when we got our oldest cat is his breath smells like a dumpster.  His nickname has been "dump" ever since!  Even our young kitten's breath is bad.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #100 on: July 03, 2016, 03:10:23 PM »
Our cat did smell quite a bit when he got older because he wasn't really able to clean himself any more. His breath was even worse  :lol He sadly passed away a few months ago, I have to see I do miss him more than I expected, even though for the last two years I only saw him in the weekends and he was sleeping 23 hours a day, he was there for as long as I can remember. (My parents got him when I was 1 year old)

Here's a picture of him:

Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #101 on: July 03, 2016, 06:18:00 PM »
I adopted two older black cats last summer, aged 10 and 12. They wake me nightly either from meowing or fighting, they have ruined my carpet with hairballs, my CD collection is coated with cat litter dust, but hell, I love them to bits ❤️😻😻

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: July 03, 2016, 11:52:29 PM »
The husky lays on the floor behind my chair when I write. But George will sit and stare at me when he wants me to take a break. He gets physically depressed when I'm traveling, and anytime I get out luggage to pack he crawls inside and clings on with his claws when I try and lift him out.

Since I travel a lot for work, my cat Buddy knows that as soon as I pull my luggage out that it means I'll be gone for a bit and everytime he shows how much he hates it.  One time he decided to pee in my luggage to show that:

Otherwise, Buddy is awesome and a girl recently called him my sidekick which I agree he is.  I love this picture of him when he hears things outside my bedroom window  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: July 06, 2016, 12:11:35 PM »
I never posted in this thread but I'm a step-dad to my girlfriends cat Lily. She is a pretty sweet cat. She does her own thing most of the day except for when she brings me bobby pins to play fetch. She never runs when I throw them, just lightly trots.

She also has two really weird quirks, she cries if you don't let her in the shower with you and she begs to be picked up after you shower and at night right before bed she meows as loud as she can. It's her signal that she wants me to lay down, she'll lay on my chest and drool while I pet her.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #104 on: July 06, 2016, 12:23:08 PM »
The cat jumps in the shower? You drip some water on my cat and you'd think I was pouring napalm on him.