Author Topic: The cat appreciation thread  (Read 51624 times)

Offline The Cat Of Tuscany

• "The truth is the truth and the only thing you can do is to live with it."
The cat appreciation thread
« on: October 11, 2015, 06:59:07 PM »
I didn't really see any *official* thread dedicated to the mystical and wonderful creatures that are cats so here it is!

So, discuss away about the clear superiority of felines!

I have two awesome cats.  What about you guys?

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: The cat appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 08:11:10 PM »
God bless creatures who always smell, never bathe, have 60-grit tongues, are disobedient as hell, are intelligent enough to frantically run right in front of speeding cars, and attack you unprovoked.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 08:16:56 PM »
Cats are like babies. Your own cat is one of your most loved companions. Other peoples' cats are just annoying blobs of living tissue you couldn't give two rips about.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 08:19:19 PM »
God bless creatures who always smell, never bathe,

You mean dogs? Smelling and never bathing are definitely two qualities I would never give cats.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 08:26:25 PM »
I'll lick myself for a few months in lieu of using water and see how many people consider me bathed
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 08:27:20 PM »
God bless creatures who always smell, never bathe, have 60-grit tongues, are disobedient as hell, are intelligent enough to frantically run right in front of speeding cars, and attack you unprovoked.
Smell: Nah, never smelled a cat that came close to smelling like a dog (and let's not forget dogs with turd-breath).

Never bathe: Cat's a pretty clean (though you do have the whole puking up hairballs thing).

60-grit tongue: Yeah, that one sucks

Disobedient as hell: Yeah, but to some of us that's part of their charm.

Intelligent enough to get squished: I think that's more an issue with instinctive behavior. And dogs will certainly bolt out into traffic, as well. They just don't have nearly the opportunity that living part-time outdoors affords many cats.

Attack you unprovoked: one of their finest attributes, IMO.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 08:42:52 PM »
Oh, and I've never had a cat try to fuck me. I've never had one try to jam a 6 inch snout up my ass. Never seen a cat so desperate for attention that I can't sit down without it jumping on my lap, or chasing me around the house if I deign to fix a beverage. Cats don't meow for five minutes if the fucking Domino's guy ring's the doorbell.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline dparrott

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 09:05:44 PM »
I have lived next to multiple neighbors with loud barking dogs growing up, it turned me off to them completely.  We have three cats and they're our substitute for children.  Our cats don't attack anyone.  Attacking depends on the breed and how the cat was raised.  We don't let them outside either, so no chance of getting hit by a car.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 10:12:08 PM »
I love cats!

Panthers, lions, tigers, and cheetahs. I really hate the usual bullshit, everyday domesticated little tiny cats. I call them pseudo-pussies. I wish I could own at least a tiger. Story time!

I used to go to the zoo a whole lot as a kid. When I say a whole lot, I mean that I eventually became very friendly with each and every person who worked there and knew everyone by name and knew every animal that was kept there. I'd go multiple times a week by myself (better than staying home with drunkards was what I figured), and after the first few hundred times seeing me there, the staff came to know me as one of their own. I've always been a motherfucking Level 100 Beastmaster. Loved those smelly animals with all my heart. Which leads me to the story of the story. I was feeding one of the two Bengal tigers that were there as a very special occasion for my birthday, and one of the lesser trained nitwits actually left the hatch to the feeding cage open (I should also mention some of the staff there were teens, they also left me alone while feeding him...me at the time, being a pre-teen, thought nothing of it)...that sonuvabitch left the feeding cage...completely open. So there I am, feeding him, and all of a sudden the dude, in all his glory, just casually walks out all 'yes, this is my place, a big welcome to you, my food'. I just freeze. No freak out. No fear. Not even a thought of death. I just freeze. It was like I looked at Medusa and that was that and I was already dead so I couldn't even think of death.

He eyes me for what seemed like a lifetime, but I'm sure was no more than a minute or two, his haunches aren't up, he's not going feral...he then (if a cat could waltz) waltzes over to me, takes the actual food out of my hand ever so gently (more gently than my fucking sweet, fat-ass labrador eats out of my hand), and has THE LOUDEST FUCKING PURR EVER and starts rubbing his nose up on me (which was the size of my god damn head) and then playfully nudges me (knocking me over) and snuggles with me. The one staff member then comes back in and immediately calls the supervisors (my guess is that knowing me for so long, they figured it'd be alright; still ridiculous in hindsight). They're freaking the fuck out, and there I am just cuddling with it and petting/scratching it's ears...I could feel the vibrations of the purr inside of my chest cavity. Keep in mind, I was a little dude...I didn't get big till the middle of highschool and had a late growth spurt. This guy could've eaten me whole and had room for more. I found out years later that even for a Bengal, this guy was an Alpha if there ever was one. From that day forward, I abhorred all small cats for the little shit turds (yes, a shit turd) that they are, and I fell in love with the bigger cats that could easily rip me to shreds.  :rollin

Really, I hate almost all cats. There is the occasional one that is great and cool, but a lot of them annoy the hell out of me (even 'my own', I quote that because it's my sisters and she left for college and couldn't take it and I haven't worked up to eating it yet). But oh my god I love the hunters so damn much. Now, I realize that this was more than likely a one time deal and that it may very well have been that I was so utterly and absolutely non-threatening that he just decided not to eat such a pathetic little creature trying to feed him but...there was something magical about it. Truly magical...and I also shit myself. Like I literally shit myself. There was poop in my pants, guys. Poop. Anyway, that's my cat story. I honest to goodness would at least attempt to keep a tiger if I it were legal. Maybe I'll be eaten. OOOR maybe I'll have a new best friend and hunt down all the little fuck-tards that keep leaving their puny little paw-prints on my car every week and feed my tiger all at the same time! Only time and a well planned tiger jail break will tell.

So yes, appreciate...THE REAL CATS.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 10:47:08 PM »
 :lol, that's a great story (and it's on my bucket list to cuddle a tiger) but all fucking cats are awesome and no bashing allowed (can we put that in the thread title like the dog one??).

My cats are the fucking best. They're cuddly as fuck.

Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 11:16:35 PM »
I was about to say that it should probably be in the title.  :lol

Truthfully, at some point every animal on the planet can be annoying, just like all people; in that same vein, some of them are awesome. It would be more accurate to say that I am more prone to feeling annoyance to smaller cats than I am with other animals; but I love all animals when it comes down to it.

Okay let me get this out of the way for everyone: MY JACKIE, WHAT A CUTE VAGINA YOU HAVE.

I think I did that wrong.

RIP DTP.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 11:31:53 PM »
I have a cat that I adore, used to live with me but now lives with a friend for various reasons. I love her but the only problem she has is that she has very long fur and is bad at cleaning her butt, so she smells like cat poop a lot of the time.

Still she is so affectionate and almost doglike with the way she acts. I used to dislike cats until I lived with her and like with dogs it's really a matter of how you raise the cat and their environment.

Really if you hate cats it must be because you've never gotten the kneading and headbutting and having a cat just flop belly up on your lap and purr as you rub their belly.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 11:43:46 PM »
 :rollin at the poop butt.

And yeah, it's a great feeling having that affection. As a kid I really did hate cats until the aforementioned event. Just imagine that love except from something ten times the size, that you'd think would normally rip you into pieces. It's something that I both simultaneously would love to have again and would never take the chance of. "Awwwww...ow...owwww...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAPOSDIAEWYP89TAHSDKLFJ------"  :lol  :|

So I suppose I'll have to do with this shitty little shit. The stairs in our house are hollow underneath, like it's more of a reverse arch that goes up a floor, and they're carpet, so that little fucker will hang upside down underneath and as I'm walking up, it'll claw my ankles. It's awesome.  :censored >:( :censored >:(  :heart

RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 03:42:13 AM »
Cats > Dogs.

It's not even close.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 05:33:59 AM »
Love this dude.

Never really was around cats until I moved in with my girlfriend. The cat and I have become good friends.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 05:39:01 AM by Chino »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 06:14:35 AM »

Smell: I have never once thought our cat has smelled.

Bathe: They clean themselves non-stop.

Tongue: Their tongue has evolved to feel like sandpaper because it helps keep them clean and removes dead hair > Bathing > Don't smell.

Disobedient: My dog and aunt when she's drunk are just as disobedient. Our cat listens to us just fine. We have to use noises instead of words though.

Run in front of cars: Getting hit by a car is the third most common cause of death in kids ages 5-9.

Attack: A cat doesn't attack unprovoked. Watch the cat. Look at what its paws, eyes, whiskers, hair, ears, and tail is doing. They give you plenty of warning before they attack. They definitely indicate when they are being provoked. They tell you they think you're being a dick. It's not the cat's fault that humans don't notice obvious indicators.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2015, 08:10:18 AM »
I told my cat about this thread and he immediately got on his computer...

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2015, 08:33:18 AM »
Since i'm not a dick and would never post this in the Dog Thread..

Dogs are shit. Stupid. Lazy. Smelly. Noisy. Dependant. You have to do fucking everything for them. They bark at everyone and everything.

Fuck I hate dogs.

FUCK.

Cats are the greatest animal ever to exist. And they do know it. And that's why they rule.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2015, 08:37:51 AM »
Margret-Elizabeth

The reigning monarch of my home. Appreciates!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 12:22:31 PM by Podaar »
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 08:39:47 AM »
Since i'm not a dick and would never post this in the Dog Thread..

Dogs are shit. Stupid. Lazy. Smelly. Noisy. Dependant. You have to do fucking everything for them. They bark at everyone and everything.

Maybe you're just really shitty at dog handling.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 08:44:03 AM »
Just like cats, some dogs are great. I can't stand the little yappy fuckers; nothing is worse. Big, smart dogs that can be taught to behave are awesome.  And since we're discussing them in relation to cats, Jackie's cats, cool though they me be, will never rip somebody's jugular out for trying to do her harm. There's something to be said for a companion that's capable of doing genuine damage, fearless and completely devoted to you.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2015, 09:51:27 AM »
Never liked dogs. Not my type of animal.

Cats though..

Have had this one for almost 15 years now, and she's awesome.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2015, 10:11:46 AM »
I have five cats and I love them all so much. I was born into a house of two cats (both passed away sadly) and have never lived without at least one. If I have my way, I will own a cat until the day I die. On the flip side, I have never owned a dog and never will. While I'm sort of a cat whisperer in the sense that all cats, even the supposedly nasty ones, seem to like me, I don't get along with dogs besides my uncle's recently deceased yellow lab. To me, cats are the far superior pet because they can be just as loving and protective as dogs but they aren't annoying about it. When they want attention, they sit on your lap but are easier to work with due to their more flexible bodies. When they're scared, they hiss and puff up instead of barking for ten minutes straight. Even if they did meow, it's nowhere near as loud or obnoxious as a bark is. I have never in my 22 years of living been bit by a cat but I have been bit by a dog. I have been scratched by one of my cats a few times but that's because I play rough and end up overstimulating her. You don't have to walk them and they aren't slobbery and gross. The best part about them is how unique every cat's personality is. My oldest cat likes to "hunt" stuffed animals and won't stop meowing until someone pets him and says "good boy". My cat that I play rough with goes crazy for cold cut style turkey and even freaks out if she hears the word turkey. Truthfully the only downside to them is that everyone and their mother seems to be allergic to them. We can't have family events at my house because of it. I don't know why so many more people are allergic to cats than dogs or any other animal with fur, but it sucks. That won't stop me from owning them though. I apologize for the long post, but I truly love cats and wanted to share my reasons with all of you guys.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2015, 10:14:57 AM »
Truthfully the only downside to them is that everyone and their mother seems to be allergic to them. We can't have family events at my house because of it. I don't know why so many more people are allergic to cats than dogs or any other animal with fur, but it sucks.

I'd love it if I could get out of having to host family events because of peoples' allergies. I might adopt some more cats just for that reason  :lol

I'm not sure about dogs, but when people have allergic reactions to cats, it's caused by their saliva rather than their fur. That's why people will still flare up around hairless cats.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2015, 10:23:25 AM »

I've told you this before: stop hanging around shitty cats. Yes, not all cats are great, but it all depends on how they were raised. If a cat had an owner that was abusive, you can garendamntee that cat is going to be the biggest asshole on the planet. Same with dogs... and humans!

I don't mind the rough tongues... until Pearl starts licking my forehead. The shit HURTS.

My mom didn't train her cats very well, so they never learned to not claw at the carpet and furniture, so that sucks. No matter how many times you yell at them to stop, no matter how many items you throw at them and no matter how many scratch posts you have around the house, Boo and Bubba will not stop clawing the furniture. They ruined my girlfriend's couch and recliners, which inturn caused her to pretty much hate them.

When Pearl first wandered on our back porch, she reeked. Understandable for a stray, but every bit of her smelled like ass. I don't know if my mom ever gave her a bath, but she did eventually stop smelling. It sucked though. For whatever reason, Pearl like immediately fell in love with me, and always wanted to be next to me or on my lap. I wanted none of it because she smelled so bad. She's fine now. I love that cat. It's so strange to have an animal so enamored with me. Bella is that way too. She's a spaz, and mostly only wants my attention. She doesn't seem to like my girlfriend much. Same with Boo and Bubba. They used to love her. Something happened. Boo has always smelled like a stuffed animal. He knows how to clean himself good.

I don't let my cats outside, and I think it's cruel that people do. Yes, cats are naturally outside animals, but if you're going to have a pet cat, it should stay inside.

Pearl was already an adult cat when we took her in, but she must have had some decent owners, until they decided to kick her to the curb that is. She's was trained. The nicest cat you'll ever meet, loving. She will scratch at the carpet occasionally, but she knows how to use the scratch post, and never claws at furniture. Her only flaw is she sheds A LOT. She's probably close to the same age as Boo and Bubba or maybe a little older. They're 11. Boo can be an asshole, but he's also incredibly loving. All four of them are. I used to have two black Labs, and they were the smartest, nicest dogs I ever met, but since having cats, I really don't want or care for dogs that much anymore.

Cats keep me at peace, especially Pearl. She's alway by my side, on my lap, hogging my pillow. Bella doesn't like being held at all, but she does get on my lap on occasion. You can hold Boo for hours. He loves it. Pearl doesn't like being held much either. Maybe it's a female cat thing. I love cats. These 4 aren't without their flaws, but I wouldn't have them any other way. OK, I could do without Boo, Bubba and Bella being assholes toward Pearl, and the two scratching the furniture, but other than that, I love them for who they are... OK, they could seriously stop puking on the floor. I step in that shit all the time. But other than that...

Oh, and as far as cats attacking unprovoked, as someone said, cats do give warnings. Either they'll give out an irrtated meow, or their ears will go back. You can always tell when a cat wants none of it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2015, 10:39:03 AM »

I don't let my cats outside, and I think it's cruel that people do. Yes, cats are naturally outside animals, but if you're going to have a pet cat, it should stay inside.

Unless you live on a farm - nowhere near a main road like my Dad does. Not one of his cats has ever been run over and they always come back for dinner.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2015, 11:11:37 AM »
"I know, I'll breed the pets.....to each other!  Then I'll have the loyalty of a cat, and the cleanliness of a dog!" - Homer Simpson

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2015, 11:28:53 AM »

I don't let my cat out anymore, since we moved to an appartment in the middle of a town, but when we lived in the house, I felt cruel if I didn't let her out. She loved being outside, don't see why that'd be cruel.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2015, 11:34:16 AM »

I don't let my cat out anymore, since we moved to an appartment in the middle of a town, but when we lived in the house, I felt cruel if I didn't let her out. She loved being outside, don't see why that'd be cruel.

I don't know if I'd call it cruel, but the average lifespan for an indoor cat is 12-20 years. An outdoor cat is 1-5.

Come spring time, I'm going to look into building on of these for our cat. They are referred to as Catios. You open a window to allow the cat in an out. Granted it isn't complete free-roam, but I think it's a fine compromise.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2015, 11:48:01 AM »
We used a dog cage as a outdoor cat cage.  They can be outside but keeps them protected.  A good compromise.  Our cats just want fresh air and sunshine.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2015, 12:28:02 PM »
all fucking cats are awesome and no bashing allowed (can we put that in the thread title like the dog one??).

My cats are the fucking best. They're cuddly as fuck.

<images>

I agree with the bold, can we please not turn this into cats vs dogs thread again? If you guys love dogs and can't stand cats, you can very well hang out in your own thread. I don't see why you would come into a cat appreciation thread and start saying how much they suck. Maybe the problem isn't with cats in that case.

And Jackie, your cats are indeed awesome! In fact, all cats are awesome. I don't like dogs much (though I respect well-trained dogs alright), and they don't seem to like me too; but I adore cats, and in fact all cats I've met seemed to like me. I've never been attacked by a cat or anything.

Anyway, I don't have any high quality pics of my cat at hand, so this one will do for now. That's his favourite pose for playing with anything. :lol

Also, this gif isn't of my cat, but it's the one I load and stare at every time I'm angry at work. Incredibly soothing:

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 12:39:45 PM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2015, 12:38:42 PM »
eeeeeek - how have we not had one of these threads before? I have two kitties... 14 years old lol

I also don't get the cat vs. dog - I love both!

Here is Rascal:

Here is Sid:

And a friend's cat because the photo is awesome:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2015, 12:51:02 PM »
Cats are awesome.  I hate dogs, pretty much all of them.  I love cats, pretty much all of them.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2015, 12:58:21 PM »
Cats are awesome.  I hate dogs, pretty much all of them.  I love cats, pretty much all of them.

Let's be friends. :hifive:

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2015, 01:00:26 PM »
TBH, I am not a cat person; I vastly prefer dogs.

But for some reason, every cat I am near likes me quite a bit.  It's kind of weird.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.