Author Topic: The cat appreciation thread  (Read 51635 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: The cat appreciation thread
« Reply #140 on: July 15, 2016, 12:52:32 PM »
Sooo....we rescued another cat yesterday.  This is our seventh rescue.  She's polydactyl, and we think she's pregnant.

Woah...a dinosaur cat.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #141 on: July 15, 2016, 01:08:04 PM »

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #142 on: July 15, 2016, 04:33:53 PM »
Woohoo!  The cat isn't pregnant after all...she looks to have had a litter and just recently weaned them.  This will make adopting her out muuuuuch easier...
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #143 on: August 05, 2016, 01:43:35 PM »
Yesterday we had to put down my cat Chief. He has been in my life since I was a child and saying goodbye was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. My family and I found him four days after September 11th as a kitten, his eyes not even fully opened yet. I remember when his paws were so tiny that he would walk across my keyboard and only step on one key at a time. He was named in honor of my mom's cousin Jerry, a fire chief who we lost to those horrible terrorist attacks and he help us all cope during a very difficult time. He eventually grew up to be a beautiful cat albeit with a bit of an attitude but he was still a good boy in my eyes. These past few days have been a challenge for me and my house as well as my heart feels empty. I've had so many cats in my life including five still living with me today but none of them will ever be able to replace Chief. Goodbye my friend. You will be missed.

People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #144 on: August 05, 2016, 01:46:15 PM »
That's a damn shame.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #145 on: August 05, 2016, 01:53:17 PM »
Sorry to hear that. Losing pets can be just as hard as losing a human family member.

On a different note, I have two cats I need to find a new home for. Interested or know anyone interested?

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #146 on: August 07, 2016, 12:16:00 AM »
I have one cat that's 15 and one thats 9. They are both awesome.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: August 07, 2016, 05:15:15 PM »
Sorry for your loss of your pet.  So sad.

And I'm missing my cat! Can't wait to see Buddy tomorrow.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #148 on: August 07, 2016, 05:31:06 PM »
That's heartbreaking.   I'm sorry for your loss.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: August 20, 2016, 06:17:54 PM »
https://youtu.be/k-GsmkSVL4M

Made this video late last night right before I went to bed.  Essentially my cat got stirred up laying in bed and I noticed a centipede on my ceiling.  So I shot it with a nerf gun and the funny part is, my cat ate the centipede after it fell down  :lol I was laughing so hard, couldn't believe it.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #150 on: August 20, 2016, 06:23:50 PM »
 :lol

My cat attacks the shit out of mice (doesn't kill them often) but a bug makes her jump three feet in the air. I'm jealous of Buddy and voracious appetite.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #151 on: September 21, 2016, 08:40:25 AM »
Our oldest cat suddenly got sick and we had to put him down last night.   :'(  Same problem as our youngest cat had almost a year ago: bleeding internally, doctors couldn't figure out how or why.  Ran all kinds of tests, nothing abnormal but very low blood level. 

This didn't happen until we moved to an old building.  Something environmental?  In the paint?  We switched to bottled water after our last cat died thinking it was in the tap water.  Gotta find out what this shit is because we have two more cats.  Just grasping at straws here. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #152 on: September 21, 2016, 08:54:37 AM »
 :'( Really sorry to hear that. *hugs*

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: September 21, 2016, 10:34:50 AM »
Wow that's frightening! Sorry for your loss. Have you looked into any plants nearby? There are a lot of plants that are pretty toxic to cats and maybe they are eating them?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: September 21, 2016, 11:31:28 AM »
Sorry for your loss, that's terrible.  Did the vet say water could cause internal bleeding?  My first thought is unlikely.  I'd take chknptpie's thought and maybe something the cats could be eating instead of the drinking water.  But I also don't know much about that. 

Offline dparrott

« Reply #155 on: September 22, 2016, 08:46:27 AM »
Our cats are indoors only except for being on an enclosed patio.  No plants.  Our cat that died last year never went on the patio.

The only link between the two is their calming medicine (clomicalm), but we read that it has a 1% chance of causing this.  I can see it happening to one, but two in the same family?

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: September 22, 2016, 09:05:06 AM »
I'm so sorry dparrott.   My great goes out to you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #157 on: September 22, 2016, 05:01:21 PM »
I am not appreciating cats a whole lot right now.  One of them ate a few coins, and I'm looking at a (best case) $3K vet bill.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #158 on: September 22, 2016, 06:28:12 PM »
Will they deduct the value of the coins from the bill?

Offline dparrott

« Reply #159 on: September 23, 2016, 07:54:01 AM »
One thing that we found is deadly to cats: stuffing or foam with flame retardant added.  Our youngest cat used to chew up his stuffed toys to where the stuffing would come out, we read that some stuffing could have that stuff.  We were in the middle of recovering chairs and left the foam exposed which could have had flame retardant, our recent death could have been from that, he was around that chair a lot. 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #160 on: April 22, 2017, 01:37:36 AM »
Anyone who thinks that dogs are better than cats has clearly never had a purring cat on their lap while they were in the middle of a panic attack. I suffer from anxiety and tonight I had one of my worst attacks ever. One of my cats was right near me while this was going on and immediately jumped onto my lap and helped me through my attack.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: April 22, 2017, 01:39:02 AM »
Cat's purring :tup

Dogs barking non stop for no reason :tdwn

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: April 22, 2017, 07:29:42 AM »
Anyone who thinks that dogs are better than cats has clearly never had a purring cat on their lap while they were in the middle of a panic attack. I suffer from anxiety and tonight I had one of my worst attacks ever. One of my cats was right near me while this was going on and immediately jumped onto my lap and helped me through my attack.

False dichotomy.

If you had a dog instead of a cat, he/she would have sensed your anxiety and would have gently leaned against you and stuck through it with you. Both domestic dogs and cats are fantastic house mates for this very reason.

I'm glad you have your kitty to help you! Purring cats are a fantastic stress reliever.

And KB. We've gone over this at least a dozen times with you. You're projecting your fear/disgust in the wrong direction. A dog that barks incessantly is a sign of a mistreated animal. It's owner is the problem.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: April 22, 2017, 07:49:30 AM »
Very true Podaar, a dog that's an asshole usually points to the owners being assholes.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: April 23, 2017, 08:31:37 AM »
I love when I open my bedroom window and my cat hears something

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: April 24, 2017, 08:24:14 AM »
 :heart :heart

Maggie (my cat) will jump on the window sill, crouch down, and start chirping at the birds. So. Damned. Cute.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: April 24, 2017, 08:34:53 AM »
My old cat use to chirp too, hilarious and cute.  Buddy however does not, he just likes to look.  He also is ridiculously scared of going outside for some reason.  Cool with me, no worries when the door is left open, just seems odd though.  All my other cats even the scaredy cats were intrigued by the great outdoors.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #167 on: April 24, 2017, 08:46:17 AM »
Our cat named Boo was an outside cat at age 2 and stayed out all night and
Would come in and sleep most of the day.  He would bring home birds and and an occasional
Rabbit.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #168 on: April 24, 2017, 08:47:27 AM »
Our cat makes dolphin noises out the window. According to the amazingly adorable documentary The Lion in My Living Room (on Netflix), they think it's so the cat can lure birds into its reach.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: April 24, 2017, 12:25:22 PM »
Our cat lily is able to go outside for the first time. It's always been an apartment cat but now we have a fenced in back yard we figured we'd let her out, she'll take two steps out and that's enough. She does love laying outside though.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #170 on: April 26, 2017, 09:31:41 AM »

Our 4 cats at feeding time!

From left to Right.
Bernie, Ozzy, Suki and Sooty.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #171 on: April 26, 2017, 09:56:21 AM »
Our cat makes dolphin noises out the window. According to the amazingly adorable documentary The Lion in My Living Room (on Netflix), they think it's so the cat can lure birds into its reach.

They also do that if you shine a laser pointer at the ceiling.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #172 on: April 26, 2017, 01:17:53 PM »

Our 4 cats at feeding time!

From left to Right.
Bernie, Ozzy, Suki and Sooty.

This is what Heaven looks like.

-MirrorMask

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: April 26, 2017, 02:02:08 PM »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: April 26, 2017, 02:06:19 PM »
 :heart