Author Topic: SFAM ----> DT 12 Ranked and Reviewed  (Read 19826 times)

Offline OnTheBacksofAngela

• DTF Enthusiast!
  • :)
SFAM ----> DT 12 Ranked and Reviewed
« on: October 07, 2015, 02:57:09 PM »
Hey guys and welcome to the reviews! I will be reviewing the Dream theater songs in chronological order from albums so, Images and Words--->Peruvian Skies(FII)--->Dream theater's self titled.

Edit: This will be a write up and a ranking to my least favorite --> most favorite Dream Theater songs for each album.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 07:02:22 PM by OnTheBacksofAngela »
Glad to be back.

Offline yeah_93

Re: 88 Dream theater songs ranked and reviewed.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 04:50:39 PM »
Good luck. Looking forward to it.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 05:05:30 PM »
Pull Me Under (8:14)

Pull Me Under is Dream Theater's first song on their album Images and Words. The lyricist of this song is Kevin Moore. Wow, what can I say about this song? This song doesn't have that much meaning to me and sometimes I love listening to this, but other times, I get bored of this song really easily. I guess it all depends on my mood really. But hey, this song is really popular among others. Heck, they even created Greatest Hits and 21 Other Pretty Cool Songs after this song.
Now, let's get to the music itself. We are introduced to this music by John Petrucci's acoustic guitar. As the song builds up, Mike Portnoy enters on his drums, playing the kick, the toms, and occasionally the snare. Kevin Moore is next as you can see his faint piano sound and lastly Myung enters. By 0:40 seconds, we can see all of the band in action, except our singer, James Labrie. Soon, the electric guitar comes while they repeat the same notes they've been playing. After Portnoy bangs on his snare, the acoustic guitar fades and the electric guitar takes over.

Lost in the sky
Clouds roll by
and I roll with them
Arrows fly
Seas increase
and then fall again

This world is spinning around me
This world is spinning without me
Every day send future to past
Every breath leaves me one less to my last

The first verse is nothing special, but the chorus, I love it to death. The chorus speaks truth. Take "Every breath leaves me one less to my last. Have you ever thought of that part? The way Labrie sings the chorus and the band leads up to it, they make it sound very dark and ominous. At first, I thought this song was very upbeat, but after looking at the lyrics and analyzing the song, I can tell that it is very grim. This is why I love Labrie. His voice fits perfectly with the band. It isn't too heavy like most metal singers, instead, he can sing songs calmly and he can sound badass if he wants to. Check out Scarred, which we will get into later. A short instrumental plays, transitioning to the second verse.

Watch the sparrow falling
Gives new meaning to it all
If not today nor yet tomorrow
then some other day

I'll take seven lives for one
And then my only father's son
As sure as I did ever love him
I am not afraid

Now that, I would have to say is one of the finest delivery's I've heard. We can see the band momentarily stopping at Labrie belts out the lyrics "Watch the sparrow falling." Then the band comes in strong as ever as Labrie also sings the rest of this verse gratingly. It just adds on to the dark factor of this song. Now, Images and Words is not supposed to be dark at all. It is not supposed to be progressive metal like Train of Thought. Pull Me Under would have to heaviest song on Images and Words and the funny thing is, it is not that heavy. This song obviously refers to Hamlet. Sometimes, I interpret the lyrics in my own way and how it relates to my life, even if it isn't the correct interpretation. But, that's the great thing about Dream Theater, there are many meanings to a song, not just necessarily one "correct" meaning.

After this verse, the intro to the chorus is played again and the only difference is that Mike Portnoy is pounding on his drumset twice, every one second. After that, the chorus comes in, probably the most catchiest Dream Theater chorus I've ever stumbled upon.

Pull me under, Pull me under
Pull me under I'm not afraid
All that I feel is honor and spite
All I can do is set it right

Listen to that! This is what I have to say about all the Dream Theater songs. Sure, I may not like all of them, but there is this part, no matter how major or minor that I absolutely love. And for Pull Me Under, that is my highlight of Pull Me Under. I just love it and that riff that transitions into this bridge is fantastic.

Dust fills my eyes
Clouds roll by
and I roll with them
Centuries cry
Orders fly
and I fall again

After this bridge, we can hear the chorus all over again and it is played three more times before an instrumental comes in. The instrumental starts out softly with just an acoustic guitar just like the beginning. Petrucci plays the introduction to the chorus with his electric guitar and at the end, the spotlight is all to Moore, Portnoy, Labrie, and Petrucci. Labrie is done for this song and this band rocks it out until the end. At the end, the song cuts out. You just have listened to Dream Theater, your amazing progressive rock/metal band.

I would put Pull me Under at my top 50, bare minimum. The chorus is catchy, the instruments are amazing, and Labrie fails to disappoint. Nice job, Dream Theater.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:55:21 AM by OnTheBacksofAngela »
Glad to be back.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 05:16:11 PM »
Pull me Under is so good it almost reaches my top 5 Images and Words songs!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 05:45:53 PM »
Pull me Under is so good it almost reaches my top 5 Images and Words songs!
:lol

i never got sick of this song even when it was being a pain in the butt to FC in guitar hero and it's just a really solid prog metal song, probably vaguely in the upper half of DT songs but it's one of the most memorable for sure
just that DT has so many better songs because they're DT

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 06:20:08 PM »
^^^ Yeah, was pretty BS because the whole song was fairly manageable, nothing too tricky if you could do the three note chord changes with the x3 percussive strums at the end, but I remember those pre chorus solos were great at breaking your streak, even though they're barely a few seconds long. I don't even have the new systems but I kinda want a PS4/XONE to play Rock Band 4 just for Metropolis.  :lol

Regarding Pull Me Under in general, this song kind of increases in my ranking then falls again. ( :loser:) Great song but sometimes I need to take a break from hearing it for my enthusiasm to be reinvigorated.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 07:02:24 PM »
Thank you for your opinion guys. Luckily, I was able to squeeze this in. Take the Time will be tomorrow.

Another Day (4:23)

Ah, Another Day. I'm sorry guys, but there are Dream Theater songs that are people's top 5, but are in my bottom 5 and vice versa. I just wanted to say to not take any insult or offence to my song choices, because honestly, compared to Dream Theater fans I know, my music choices are somewhat different. Like this song for example. I would put this song as my number 2 song from Images and Words, number 1 being Metropolis part 1. Yes, I know, for some of you, Learning to Live, and Under a Glass Moon beats Another Day by a long shot, but not for me. That is what makes each and every one of individuals unique. The song itself just gets to me every time and was close to breaking me many times, although there is 1 song that does, but it won't come until later.

Now, let's get started. The music starts off with a piano and acoustic duet and Labrie is quick to come in. After Labrie's oh, Petrucci, Portnoy, and Myung come in. Petrucci plays a quick electric guitar solo and all the instruments fade except the piano and that is when Labrie officially comes in. When Petrucci comes in on the guitar, he doesn't shred nor does he flaunt, but he plays the song passionately. This song was written by Petrucci himself and just by hearing that guitar solo, so simple, but passionate, made me think 'Dang, Petrucci must cherish this song very much.'

Live another day
Climb a little higher
Find another reason to stay
Ashes in your hands
Mercy in your eyes
If you're searching for a silent sky

Look at Labrie. I don't know why people are slamming Labrie. In my opinion, he is perfect for this band. Sure, he has gotten food poisoning, damaging his vocals and sure, his singer style is not gruff nor dark, but he fits Dream Theater perfectly. He is way more consistent than Charlie Dominici and his vocal range, oh man. It can get high as heck and he can get low also.  Look at the song Lie. To me, this verse is talking to someone about how they should live another day, how they shouldn't end one's life this day. This is backed up by "Find another reason to stay." A character might have been thinking about suicide and the main character is telling them that there is so much more to life. You should live every day you can.

You won't find it here
Look another way
You won't find it here
So die another day

And here is the official chorus. Labrie sounds pained when he sings this. The chorus is talking about how you won't find death here and you should look another way. He repeats that you won't find it here and he tells his friend/family to not die today. To die when the time has come. After that, Jay Beckenstein from.....Spyro Gyra comes in with the soprano saxophone. It is absolutely beautiful.

The coldness of this words
The message in his silence, "Face the candle to the wind..."
This distance in my voice
Isn't leaving you a choice
So if you're looking for a time to run away

Just listen to that. This is like a story becoming real. The main character's friend/family is becoming distant and introverted and even being cold towards the main character. The character  refuses to speak to anyone and the main character's voice is distant to his friend. As the chorus rolls in a second time, you can hear that it is much stronger now. Labrie belts this out passionately, as if he was in the main character's shoes. If I had someone close to me that wanted to commit suicide and try to kill themself (cringes), then I would do everything within my power to stop them. I would scream their name, I would convince them that there is more to life and I wouldn't give up.

They took pictures of our dreams
Ran to hide behind the stairs
And said maybe when it's right for you, they'll fall
But if they don't come down
Resist the need to pull them in
And throw them away
Better to save the mystery
Than surrender to the secret

What did I just listen to? A real masterpiece. This is just absolute pleasure to my ears. His voice gets higher and higher with each sentence and peaks at "they'll fall." When I listen to this song, anytime, the tears threaten to fall down because I can relate to someone I lost. I will get more to that on the song Disappear. I don't want to break down right now while giving my thoughts about this song. This message is just saying that dreams won't always come back to us. There are some missed dreams and if a dream doesn't come down to you, don't force it down and disgustedly throw the broken dream away. It would be better to save the mystery, save the future than to know what is in store for us.

A guitar solo comes by John Petrucci and all the angst and heartbreak can be summarized by this single guitar solo. At this point I am shaking as I think about how Petrucci must have felt when he was writing this song. To put his passion into his solo and the raw agony of it, makes this song all the more beautiful and is cherished deep within me. The chorus comes in one last time. Oh my God. Oh my freaking God. An absolute beauty. This my friends is why this song is at the top of my list. His voice is just flawless here. He belts out the last two sentences of this chorus with all his heart and it sums up all the sadness and sorrow that was penned up.

After that, the saxophone comes back one more time as the music becomes more mellow, the saxophone leading the rest of the song. You have just listened to the second best song in Images and Words.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:56:21 AM by OnTheBacksofAngela »
Glad to be back.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 07:10:44 PM »
These are some nice write-ups, and it's always refreshing to hear a female perspective on DT!

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 07:17:29 PM »
Thank you sir. I just love Dream theater that much. I can relate to almost any of their songs.
Glad to be back.

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 11:47:54 PM »
Aren't there 95 songs from IAW to DT?

Good write-ups, will be lurking here a bit.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 02:10:37 AM »
You shouldn't feel sorry for liking Another Day, you should only feel sorry if you don't like it.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 03:35:39 AM »
Eagerly following!!!  :corn :metal

Also, thank you for putting so much time and effort in making this DT songs complete review! It's great to see so much love for Dream Theater, they really deserve it! :tup :tup :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 07:15:23 AM »
No interest in the debut album?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 07:40:59 AM »
No interest in the debut album?
Not yet :/
but hopefully soon
Glad to be back.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 07:41:37 AM »
Cool.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Stray Seed

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 08:42:53 AM »
Have you also tried to listen to "When Dream And Day Re-unite"?

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 09:29:19 AM »
Kind of.
I only listened to the Ytse Jam and Metropolis part 1. I loved how Rudess and Sherinian went head to head. I also liked the two different styles between Dominici and Labrie, but those were the only two songs.
Glad to be back.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 02:05:37 PM »
I loved how Rudess and Sherinian went head to head.
Same here. The solos traded between Sherinian, Petrucci and Rudess are great.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 05:39:54 PM »
Take The Time (8:21)

Ah, Take the Time! It is a fantastic song written by all five of the band members. Imagine that....each band member had a role in this phenomenal song and the chorus was written by every member of the band also. This song starts off with Kevin Moore in the background. After a while, Myung joins in then Portnoy and Petrucci. Petrucci begins by playing a riff as Portnoy also follows the style of the riff. Later, we can see Kevin Moore on his lead and he fades off. Petrucci plays a sharp note and he fades away also. We can hear Myung more prominently now as Portnoy also jams away. What is followed immediately is some sampling.

"Hold it now...
Wait a minute...
Come on...
Whew..."

Let me tell you something about sampling before I begin. In some cases, I like sampling very much, but other times, it just annoys the heck out of me. Some good samplings are The Mirror, Voices, Space Dye Vest, and my personal favorite, Honor thy Father. Some samplings that I generally dislike are 6:00 and this part of Take The Time. I dunno, it just gets under my skin sometimes just like Portnoy vocals. Anyways, after this sample, Labrie immediately comes in.

Just let me catch my breath
I've heard the promises
I've seen the mistakes
I've had my fair share of tough breaks
I need a new voice, a new law, a new way
Take the time, reevaluate
It's time to pick up the pieces,
Go back to square one
I think it's time for a change

Wow, aggressive much? This part is very staccato and you can hear the aggressiveness in Labrie's vocals. The band stated that this song was about the change they had to go through with letting go of Collins, Dominici, and finding a new record label. We can safely assume that this part was written by our main man Mr. Mike Portnoy. His songs usually are very aggressive like The Mirror, The Test That Stumped Them All, This Dying Soul, etc. "I need a new voice, a new law, a new way" talks about Charlie Dominici, a new record label, and a new style of their music, respectively. The band wants to pick up the broken pieces off the floor and start all over hence "Go back to square one." It was indeed a tough time for them as they were frustrated with trying to find a new singer until Labrie sent in his tape. This song further proves how important Labrie is to the entire band. Labrie can indeed sing raw and aggressive as shown in this part, which brings us to the next verse.

There is something that I feel
To be something that is real
I feel the heat within my mind
And craft new changes with my eyes
Giving freely wandering promises
A place with decisions I'll fashion
I won't waste another breath

The next verse is probably written by Moore. We know that his lyrics can be really obscure sometimes and this proves it. Labrie sings this part of the verse as if the band knew there was hope in store for them during there darkest hours. He immediately transitions from dark and aggressive to hopeful. This verse mainly talks about how the band felt that they needed to be something real. They wanted to be real in terms of progressive music. Heck, even I have a hard time deciphering this next verse. It can mean so many different things and sometimes, obscure lyrics can be fun to try and attempt to decipher. Petrucci plays a quick riff after this song and the chorus immediately comes in.

You can feel the waves coming on
(It's time to take the time)
Let them destroy you or carry you on
You're fighting the weight of the world
But no one can save you this time
Close your eyes
You can find all you need in your mind

Wow, ain't that the truth. The waves can represent any obstacle in which if you overcome it, it benefits you, but if it overcomes you, it will destroy. Some examples of the wave can be life, time, hardships, struggles, etc. Life is present in every part of your situation. If you overcome life, it can carry you to new heights, but if life overcomes you, it could slowly destroy you. If Dream Theater didn't overcome life and just gave up on finding a new record label or a singer, what would have happened to Dream Theater? I don't think they would have been as phenomenal as they are right now. They were fighting the weight of the world. The world was threatening to crush them and at that state they were at, the world could have indeed crushed them and if that happened, who would have been able to save them?

This could be put in our perspective of life also. I also was at a phase in which I was holding the weight of the world and it was going to crush me. I could have let it crush me. I could have let life overcome me, but instead I stood up and overcame life. If Dream Theater could overcome their obstacle and make an incredible progressive rock album, why can't I? Now do you see why Dream Theater stuck with me? I can relate to a lot of their songs and they have helped me overcome some trials and difficulty.

The unbroken spirit
Obscured and disquiet
Finds clearness this trial demands
And at the end of this day sighs an anxious relief
For the fortune lies still in his hands

I will go with a guess that this is John Petrucci. Petrucci himself stated in the Q and A forum that he writes lyrics that are spiritual. Sometimes, he also writes obscure lyrics. Check out Under a Glass Moon if you don't know what I'm talking about. Another proof that I think Petrucci wrote this was the phrase "The fortune lies still in his hands." Petrucci himself wrote Fortune in Lies and the words in the sentence fits Fortune in Lies. Petrucci is talking about how a spirit or the band's spirit that faced the trials are obscure and disquiet. If your facing through a tough trial, you can either keep strong and go on or let the trial overcome you. If the trial overcomes you, it is over, but if you keep going strong, you will not go on without being obscure and disquiet (worried, anxious.) At the end of the trial, when you overcome it, you will sigh in relief, but it might be anxious because you just finished a tough trial that could have possibly scarred you and being scarred can make you more introverted or anxious about life. The reason the band is sighing because they are relieved that they know that their fortune, their future, lies in their hands.

If there's pensive fear, a wasted year
A man must learn to cope
If his obsession's real,
Suppression that he feels must turn to hope

I am thinking this part of the song, Labrie wrote. We can hear Labrie's vocal explosion through this part of the song and I love his vocal explosions. I can't think of any explosions that I hate, but I get mildly annoyed with Innocence Faded's vocal explosion, but it is still fitting. These lyrics talk more about hope and is saying that if there is a year that is wasted or fear that is thoughtful, a man must learn to cope. If our environment drastically changed, we must learn to cope with that environment. If the weather got hotter and rarely hit degrees under 90 degrees Fahrenheit, we would have to cope or die. The suppression that you feel (harmful), you must turn it to hope (helpful). It would fit with turning lemons into lemonade. If life gives you lemons (sour), turn it to lemonade (sweet).

Life is no more assuring than love
There are no answers from voices above
You're fighting the weight of the world
And no one can save you this time
Close your eyes
You can find all you need in your mind

The chorus rolls around again and the only difference are the first two sentences.

I close my eyes
And feel the water rise around me
Drown the bead of time
Let my senses fall away
I can see much clearer now, I'm blind
"Ora che ho perso la vista, ci vedo di piu."

This lyric is probably written by Myung. Wow, this is really deep as is most of Myung's songs. The proofs that lead me to believe that this is Myung is the water imagery and "I can see much clearer now, I'm blind." Myung refers to water a lot of times, just check out Lifting Shadows off a Dream. Trial of Tears also have water that is portrayed by rain. As they close their eyes, the water rises all around them. Sometimes, having water rise all over you can be a soothing feeling. They are at peace, and time is being drowned as their senses slowly fall away. I laughed when I heard the sentence "I can see much clearer now, I'm blind," because I thought it was pretty silly, but Myung was smart to write that there. As he closes his eyes and as water rises all over him, he is at peace and remember the chorus where it said "Close your eyes/You can find all you need in your mind?" They directly correlate with each other. Then, the sampling happens again, but this time it is fitting.  "Ora che ho perso la vista, ci vedo di piu," is Italian for "Now that I lost my sight , I see more." Flows well.

Next is an instrumental section that starts with Petrucci's riff than his solo. You have got to love Myung's bassline throughout this instrumental. Close your eyes and imagine the water flowing all around you while listening to this instrumental. When I do that, I can actually feel being at peace with myself, thinking about the trials I have overcome by taking my time. Kevin Moore follows with a solo of his own with his lead and after his solo, Petrucci does one more solo. The chorus then comes in again and Labrie finishes very strongly. He holds thew word "mind" as the band fades except Moore's piano. After some of notes, the band comes in again. Petrucci with a solo, Myung with some staccato baselines, and Portnoy's bass drum.

Find all you need in your mind
If you take the time

The song closes with this outro. Labrie sings this twice and Petrucci is given another solo and the whole band slowly fades out. This song is very fun to listen to and means a lot to me, when I think about the trials I've faced.
Glad to be back.

Offline 425

Re: 95 Dream theater songs ranked and reviewed.
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 11:57:48 PM »
Here you go:

Mike Portnoy confirmed who wrote each part of the lyrics.

I'm fairly certain that James had no part in writing this song. I believe that most of the album was completed by the time he joined the band.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 12:29:41 PM »
I like things like this. Wonder if the new album will be out by the time you've finished?

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 02:01:51 PM »
Here you go:

I'm fairly certain that James had no part in writing this song. I believe that most of the album was completed by the time he joined the band.
Thank you, greatly appreciate it. Hmm, so I see I got some information wrong.

I like things like this. Wonder if the new album will be out by the time you've finished?
Hm, that is more likely to happen. Yes, I'm pretty sure the new album will be out.
Glad to be back.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2015, 02:50:35 PM »
Surrounded (5:30)
[/b][/u]

We are on the fourth song of Dream Theater's widely popular Images and Words. I have to say Surrounded does a good job of bringing in the calm, soft mood, but then exploding and bringing you a whole new definition of epic.

Morning comes too early and nighttime falls too late
And sometimes all I want to do is wait
The shadow I've been hiding in has fled from me today

I know it's easier to walk away than look it in the eye
But I will raise a shelter to the sky
And here beneath this star tonight I'll lie
She will slowly yield the light as I awaken from the longest night

Are those lyrics not downright beautiful? Well, maybe you aren't moved by that yet, but the song definitely starts in a unique way. There are only a few Dream Theater songs that begin with the piano and some songs do absolutely good of bringing the right mood and luring me in, like Forsaken. Now, what about Surrounded? Oh God, Surrounded pulls it off, and it immediately pulls you in the right mood. You are lured in by Moore's sweet atmosphere and Labrie's charming, enchanting voice. Everything seems to be calm right now, but deep inside, you can feel something will happen. You feel that something big will hit you soon enough and you are absolutely correct.. Anyways though, you know just from listening to that piano, that this song is going to be incredibly happy, but that's affirmed from the line "The shadow I've been hiding in has fled from me today". I mean, the shadow you were hiding in and the shadow that was obscuring you, has fled, exposing your beautiful self to the whole world.

The next verse brings on to the happy mood. This song was written by Kevin Moore and I would have to say that this is the third best Kevin Moore song that was written and the only two Moore songs that beat this is Space Dye Vest and this song's evil brother. Can you guess what it is? Moore rights about how easier it is just to walk away from a problem, or anything, rather than look at it in the eye. Just like Portnoy wrote "Let's stare the problem right in the eye." That is a hard thing to do as some problems can be really intimidating and just looking away from it would be easiest. Isn't the next part beautiful? If we have ever lay down on the ground, under the star, we can now the sheer beauty of it. Give credits to Labrie's vocals as his soft melodious voice just explains the whole song for you. You can hear Moore's piano in the beginning and that also supports Labrie. Near the end of the second verse, we can hear Labrie and Moore and Labrie speeding up and the song explodes. When I say explodes, I mean in a beautiful way. It is nowhere near any Train of Thoughts song, dark, but it is actually melodious and light. The whole course of the song has changed from slow and peaceful to fast and melodious. After a quick Petrucci electric guitar solo, the song takes a stronger turn, then Labrie comes in once again.

Dreams are shaking, set sirens waking up tired eyes
With the light the memories all rush into his head
By a candle stands a mirror of his heart and soul she dances
She was dancing through the night above his bed
And walking to the window he throws the shutters out against the wall
And from an ivory tower hears her call
"Let light surround you"

They're well written, and there's absolutely no way around it. If you were to introduce someone to a progressive rock song, I would most definitely start with this song. It is not too soft (Wait for Sleep), it is not too dark (Honor Thy Father), it's instrumental isn't overly long, and it's just simplistic. 

Yet another great thing here, is that Petrucci is on guitar. Which is beautiful, I might add, and the way it blends together with Moore on keyboards is against, heartwarming, and it creates a brilliant atmosphere. But the song has exploded and LaBrie's vocals match that. You would expect him to be screaming at this point, but no. There's only one moment in this whole song in which he really reaches the top of his range. Apart from that his voice is a little theatrical since it is still his style, but he's extremely chill here, as if he's trying to comfort and soothe you as a listener personally. I adore it. With these lyrics the song basically tells a story -- someone is overwhelmed by the past, and keeps having flashbacks to the memories of it, but he begins to think of someone. Or maybe that someone is beside him, it's probably unimportant, but he's just sedated by that. Sounds cliched and lame, but no, it isn't at all.

It's been a long, long time
He's had a while to think it over
In the end he only sees the
change
Light to dark
Dark to light
Light to dark
Dark to light

Heaven must be more than this
When angels waken with a kiss
Sacred hearts won't take the pain
But mine will never be the same

He stands before the window
His shadow slowly fading from
the wall
And from an ivory tower hears
her call
"Let the light surround you"

This verse is very simple yet cleverly written. The change that person sees is the ending and the beginning of a new day, hence the light to dark, dark to light....The way Labrie songs this part just makes it all the more worthwhile to listen. The second verse in the paragraph would have to be close to a highlight of this song, though something else beats it. We can see how poetic Moore is as he references to heaven and "angels awakening with a kiss."  We can see Labrie's voice getting stronger and stronger and after "Let the light surround you," Petrucci explodes into a guitar solo. A note worth mentioning...a solo does not have to really fast and technical to be good. I don't care how short a solo is or how slow it is, as long there is emotion and Surrounded pulls that off quite well.

Once lost but I was found
When I heard the stained glass shatter all around me
I sent the spirits tumbling down the hill
But I will hold this one on high above me still
She whispers words to clear my mind
I once could see but now at last
I'm blind

Now that is the highlight of this entire song. I'm guessing that the stained glass is the problem the main character has been held captive in. Normally, stained glass obscures vision and the main character couldn't see outside the glass and all of a sudden, the glass shatters. The way he sends the spirit tumbling down the hill could mean something spiritual. I love lyrics that are pretty obscure because I love giving my own definition, but sometimes when the lyrics are too obscure, I have an extremely hard time. I'm guessing that there is a spirit the main character wants to cherish. Perhaps the spirit is the "She" in this music and that spirit is love. "I once could see but now at last I'm blind," further proves my statement of the spirit being love because the phrase "Love is blind." Labrie grows stronger and stronger as he comes close to a scream near the end and the song finishes in an explosion.

I know it's easier to walk away
than look it in the eye
But I had given all that
I could take
And now I've only habits left
to break
Tonight I'll still be lying here
Surrounded in all the light

Labrie and Moore are the only one's active right now as the style like the beginning of the song is replicated. I love it how the song starts soft, grows loud, then ends softly. After the stained glass was shattered, the light started pouring in and he was with the spirit lying down. Not a bad way to end this song.
Glad to be back.

Offline The Stray Seed

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2015, 04:30:17 AM »
You did an amazing job with Surrounded. Your reviews are so emotional, they're something so rare to be found! I like your perspective, centered on feelings and moods, I've always thought that - behind a glimmering veil of awe-inspiring technical prowess - Dream Theater music can surprisingly deliver the deepest emotions. Isn't this what real art is actually all about, a synergy of skill and profoundness?

It's like grinding a gem, isn't it? To realize a perfect work, you need the purest stone and the greatest crafting ability. I might just say "I love this girl - she's like a shining angel, a celestial being to me!", my feelings could be as pure as those that inspired "Surrounded" - but will I manage to express my sentiment with the same force?

Listen: "He stands before the window - his shadow slowly fading from the wall, and from an ivory tower hears her call: <let the light surround you>" and now add that wonderful music. Truth is I don't stand a chance: my feelings will remain unexpressed and won't likely inspire anyone but me. But when you make art, you give birth to a wave, a tide that can stir souls and make them resonate. This is why I love DT, because they make art and not just words and music.

Anyway, can't wait for the next review!

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2015, 07:12:18 AM »
Here you go:

Damn. I was off by two.

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2015, 07:58:38 AM »
You know the best part about these posts is listening to the song while reading the review. Its an amazing feeling. I have never paid much attention to most of the lyrics before this. So many thanks OnTheBacksofAngela for all these!  :metal
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2015, 02:53:26 PM »
Thank you all of you. Your words are very inspiring and I usually think and thinkle before writing anything. Your motivations are really helping me and I'm blessed that you guys are reading this. Once again, thanks.
Glad to be back.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2015, 07:05:02 PM »
*****PLEASE READ*****
I know for some songs, there is a meaning to it that is quite obvious as the band has confirmed it. If a band has done that, I will put that in here, but I will also go by what I think it means and how I can relate to it/How it has impacted me. Just a head's up, so please don't say, "Oh, but that is not this song is about." For example, I might say that Repentance is about a couple partying and one gets drunk and goes and kills people. He kills his girlfriend and is repenting about it. I know it is not that, but that is how I see it (just an example, this isn't really how I see it). Also, I'm going to write every piece of song like it's my first time listening to it. So, let's just say that I haven't even heard Awake-DT12.  Just a head's up to you guys. thanks!

Ah! Metropolis Part 1! My number one favorite song of this album and overall, my number seven song in the entire Dream Theater discography! What can I say about this piece of work? It is epic, and that is just an understatement. I can also understand why this song would have a place in people's heart as it paved the way for Metropolis Part 2: SMFAM. I have to say that this is the strongest progressive rock I've heard. Surrounded and Take the Time came really close, but I will have to give this to Metropolis Part 1. Wow, it also clocks around nine minutes! Now let's get started with the song shall we?

We can hear the maraca's and a tambourine starting off this amazing song. Kevin Moore comes in with his keyboard and then John Petrucci plays a riff. We can see Mike's kick make their way in as a variety of instruments are present. Then, it explodes as everyone comes in and the band is in full gear already. After an instrumental, Kevin Moore's lead comes in then returns back to John Petrucci's riffs. Then Labrie comes in.

The smile of dawn
Arrived early May
She carried a gift from her home
The night shed a tear
To tell her of fear
And of sorrow and pain
She'll never outgrow

We can see that it is spring time and it has arrived early May. The dawn came with a smile as "She" came along and carried a gift. What gift is it? No one can know at this stage of this song. We can see that she came along with an extremely dark story as "The night shed a tear"/To tell her of fear." We can see that something dark will happen as it came with bad news that was filled with her fear, sorrow and pain that she will never leave behind. Immediately, I get entranced and I want to know what the tragedy is, what is coming that will fill her with sorry and pain.

Death is the first dance, eternal
There's no more freedom
The both of you will be confined
To this mind

We can see that death comes first and death is indeed eternal. As Labrie sings the next line, he sings it with great sorrow as if feeling sorry for the girl. Death can also grant freedom, but it can take away freedom also. We can see the raw side, the evil of death as it takes away the freedom from the girl. "The both of you will be confined/To this mind" introduces another character. Whether that person is a male or female, no one will now, but it is most likely male. Death could also signify the death of our immaturity. When seeds grow into plants, the seed must first die, before it can produce a plant. Likewise, as we grow up, a part of us dies as new life is flooded into us. Although death brought pain and sorrow, it also brought a bit of hope.

I was told there's miracle for each day that I try
I was told there's a new love that's born for each one that has died
I was told there'd be no one to call on when I feel alone and afraid
I was told if you dream of the next world
You'll find yourself swimming in a lake of fire

Indeed, if you actually try, it can yield fruitful results. That result can become a miracle, something that you never thought could actually happen. When faced with a task that seems impossible, most just give up thinking that they would make it only if a miracle happened, but there are others, just a few that actually try. When try and are successful, what they thought was impossible, just turned possible, a miracle, in some cases. For each heartbreak and divorce, it is not the end. You just haven't met your soulmate yet and if you try and search, that soulmate is your new love that yielded from a dead relationship. The character was told that once he is filled with sorrow and pain, no one will be there for him, he will be there all alone. He was also told that if she dreams of the afterlife, or possibly dreamt of suicide and where he will go in the afterlife, he would be thrown in a lake of fire which signifies "hell."

As a child, I thought I could live without pain, without sorrow
As a man I've found it's all caught up with me
I'm asleep yet I'm so afraid

The main character as a child once thought that life would be without any pain or sorrow, that he would live life happy, without grief. As he grew up and as the cold hard truth hit him, he realized that pain and sorrow are indeed present and it has caught up with him. He feels scared now, even as he is asleep. We can see how much it has impacted him. It could either mean that he is having a nightmare or the harsh reality is so scary that even as he is sleeping, he feels scared. Usually, when we are asleep and if we don't have nightmares, we are usually at peace.

Somewhere like a scene from a memory
There's a picture worth a thousand words
Eluding stares from faces before me
It hides away and will never be heard of again

We are in the main character's conscience now and we are seeing a scene from the main character's memory. In that scene, there is a picture that is a worth a thousand words, or a picture that explains more than words. We are practically in his nightmare as he refuses to look at the faces that are staring at him. Possibly, the faces signify the people whom the main character has wronged in his past. We are moving on as the faces are now faded out of sight.

Deceit is the second without end
The city's cold blood teaches us to survive
Just keep my heart in your eyes and we'll stay alive
The third arrives...

The second dance is deceit. We all faced with deceit throughout our life. Deceit can come from our closest friends, our boyfriends (or girlfriends, for you males), husbands or wives, and even our family. The city's cold blood refers to the "ghetto" parts of a city. There are many dangers in the ghettos and everyone is in constant threat of being mugged or beaten. As you get used to it, you become stronger and stronger and even more resistance. Deceit can also happens in most shady parts of the city as there are constantly people who are trying to rip you off. I am guessing the man and the woman ran off and they lived in the cities where they must learn to fight and fend for themselves against the city. Then Labrie introduces the third which is......

An instrumental? Huh. We can hear Petrucci's riff and Moore's lead for a while as Petrucci quickly switches to lead and him and Moore just jam it out. Portnoy also gets a drum solo, though it is nowhere strong as his other drum solo's like Finally Free or As I am, but hey, I don't mind. After a couple more seconds, Myung steals the show. God, I love hearing that bass solo, it just turns me on (not sexually.) We can hear only Myung and Petrucci's kick prominent through Myung's bass solo as Moore and Petrucci just play some notes after each pause. After Myung's solo, we can hear Petrucci and Moore jamming it out as they play the notes. Mike's kick is also present through their duo. Moore gets a lead by himself and plays seven notes and consecutive succession as Portnoy does the same with his Hi-Hat. Petrucci comes in as Moore's lead fades to the background, but still present and instead of Portnoy's kick following Moore, his snare his now following Moore's notes.

Another instrumental section kicks in. All the band is on fire right now as they jam it out like there is no tomorrow and when you think it's over, they keep on going. At that time, this instrumental was extremely complicated, but since they play it live like a lot of times, we can understand that it is an easy feat for them. After their heated instrumental, they mellow down a bit and go on for a couple more seconds, then Labrie comes in.

Before the leaves have fallen
Before we lock the doors
There must be the third and last dance
This one will last forever
Metropolis watches and thoughtfully smiles
She's taken you to your home

We don't what the third dance is yet, but this section provides a clue. "Before the leaves have fallen," signifies fall. Before fall, before the story ends, there is this one last dance that must comes. That dance will last over. Any clues on what the dance is? We can see that Metropolis can either be a name or it can be a city. Usually, things like boats or airplanes are called a she, so it can go either ways and Metropolis has shown you the true meaning of home, she has taken you to your real home.

It can only take place
When the struggle between our children has ended
Now the Miracle and the Sleeper know that the third is love
Love is the Dance of Eternity

Ah, so that is what the third dance is.  It's love! That is really clever and very true. Love can only happen when the struggle has stopped, when they are at peace with each other. The Miracle and the Sleeper, the characters in this story now realize that the third is love. The struggle between them must have finally ended as they finally comprehend that it is love. Also, love is the dance of eternity because love is the third dance and it is eternal, just like death is eternal. Death and love are two dances that are opposites with each other. Not a bad way to end this song.

Honestly, I love this song very much. It can tell a story between two people, how they conquered death, overcame deceit, worked together instead of struggling. Then, when they stop, they realize that love was the reward, love comes after your struggles.
Glad to be back.

Calvin6s

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2015, 08:54:36 PM »
I like your positive energy, passion and determination.

Please don't ever listen to this song.  I don't want you to break.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2015, 06:14:57 PM »
Under a Glass Moon (7:03)

Ah, lookie! It's Under a Glass Moon! This is the first of the three songs that will conclude the album and my my, isn't the title confusing already? I love this song very much, but it doesn't peak like Another Day and Metropolis Part 1. This song is notable for its obscure lyrics and John Petrucci's solo. I don't why people go crazy over his solo. I mean, sure, it is good, but I think it is a tad overrated. Even if I think that, I still love this song to death. This song has a personal meaning for me and I have interpreted this lyrics on how it relates to me and it may relate to some people here also. If you want to really confuse someone, ask a friend (non Dream Theater fans) to listen to this song and interpret what this song is saying. They will either be confused and give up or think of some bizarre analysis.

The beginning of this song is beautiful. Plain and simple. Moore and Petrucci are the main and only people in the beginning of this song. We can hear Petrucci and Moore playing similar notes in an orchestral fashion.  The orchestra known as Under A Glass Moon is beginning. Then Myung gets going with his bass, and man, you can almost feel how this song will go, epic and mysterious. . A minute and a half in, Myung and Portnoy have a quick little interlude, and LaBrie sings some of the weirdest, but extremely clever and deep lyrics Petrucci has ever written. Yeah, as if "Under a Glass Moon" wasn't weird enough.

Tell me
Remind me
Chase the water racing from the sky
Always
Beside me
Taste the memories running from my eyes

Really clever. The main character here, or I am being reminded with a past memory. A memory that has affected me greatly in the past. The water racing from the sky is the rain as it falls down to Earth. No matter where I am, I can't escape the rain pouring as it is all around me and it is always beside me until the rain decides to stop falling. As rain pours, water drips down your face. Rain can signify a lot of things and once the main character was hit with this extreme memory, nostalgia struck him as she began crying. As tears escaped here eyes, some trailed down to her lips in which you could taste your memory. The memory was so strong that you could even taste it. Now, "Taste the memories running from eyes," means either the tears running from your eyes or the rain drops that run down your eyes, though I'm going with the tears because it fits more perfectly and the source are the eyes, not the clouds.

Nervous flashlights scan my dreams
Liquid shadows silence their screams
I smile at the moon
Chasing water from the sky
I argue with the clouds
Stealing beauty from my eyes

As my brain starts scanning my memories, it comes to me in the form of a dream. The flashlights can be the brain or the flashbacks. The memory was so nostalgic, but also very saddening that although it brought some joy, with it came sadness. If you get over something horrific or something really sad like the death of a loved one, you don't want to bring back the memories, but you miss the components of joy. If a memory was nostalgic and joyful, without traces of sadness, instead of nervous flashlights, it would be eager flashlights. The nervous was added because even though she wanted to feel the memories of joy, there were sad parts of the memories so she is extremely nervous to relive that. The moon is really beautiful at night, especially a full moon, so you could be smiling at the full moon as it is raining. I think the lyrics were written as "I smile at the moon" in one sentence and "Chasing water from the sky" as another sentence. Have you every ran in the rain, hands outstretched, trying to make the rain go away. That can be a possible meaning for chasing water from the sky. As the clouds come and cover the moon, it takes away the beauty of the moon. You are displeased with the clouds that have hindered the view of the beautiful moon as it "Steals the beauty from her eyes."

Outside the soundness of your mind
Bathing your soul in silver tears
Beneath a blackened summer sky
Praying for time to disappear

Outside your conscience, as you are crying, woken up from the dream, it has touched you so deep that it touches your soul. As the tears fall all around you, you are bathing your soul with your tears. The sadness from the memory puts you in a bad mood as a blackened sky covers the summer sky. You know in movies where everything is extremely bright, but suddenly evil comes in and just blackens the whole place? It could be a reference to that as she prays that time disappears. Death takes away our loved ones, but so does time. Time has only one gear, forward, and unfortunately, that means aging. Aging leads to death and without time, could we have been young forever? If time wasn't present at all, we wouldn't even be born, so time is extremely valuable. Cursing time for making your life miserable is wrong. Without time, where would we be? Heck, I'm sure we even wouldn't be alive.

Beneath a summer sky
Under glass moonlight
Night awaits the lamb's arrival
Liquid shadows crawl
Silver teardrops fall
The bride subsides to her survival

You are crying in reality, but you are still trapped within your conscience, within your dream. As you relive your memories, you are under a summer sky, a glass moonlight. Imagine the moonlight and imagine it looking glassy. Glass alters the vision of light. A flashlight's light is circular and shining it through glass, makes it look bigger and more beautiful. The moon's light is exactly like that. I know that "Night awaits the lamb's arrival" has a spiritual sense to it, but I interpret it another way. The lamb signifies your savior. You are in this dreamy nightmare as you hope to wake up, but you just can't. As you are stuck in your beautiful nightmare, crying, all you can do is wait. The tears all around you began crawling down the grass as she, "the bride," subsides and just waits.

By your hand
I've awakened
Bear this honor in my name

Finally, someone is there to wake her up. He sees are crying and he takes her hand, trying to wake her up. She finally wakes up from this pleasant nightmare and is relieved. "I have awaken/Bear this honor in my name," she says to him. After that, she tells him about her dream. They get comfortable and she is ready to tell everything to him, her memories and her dreams. That story she tells is portrayed in an instrumental that follows.

All of the band starts to play, though it is mostly a duo between Petrucci and Moore. This part of the instrumental tells the basics of her story. She hasn't gotten into the nostalgic and tragic part of her memory as she wants to slowly build up so she won't lost control. Finally, the time has come to tell that man about her tragic, but nostalgic nightmare/dream. The band falls silent as Myung picks a few notes.She is silent as she finally gains the courage. After this, everything explodes. The girl is pouring her heart out to him. Petrucci plays a passionate solo, like in Another Day. Petrucci begins shredding and starts going up and down the frets. It feels like his fretboard is on fire. Petrucci gets lost in his solo and he plays a minute of pure awesome. After that, Moore comes in with a solo of his own and by this point, the entire band is lost in their conscience, playing like crazy. The solo ends as the band just synchronizes the last few seconds of the solo and Labrie comes in.

James Labrie finishes off with one more chorus and an outro. By this point, the man has heard what the girl has said and understands how she felt. An extremely well way to close out this song. This song has meant a lot to me as it talks about dreams and cherishing your memories to the fullest.

Wait For Sleep (2:31)

Ah, Wait for Sleep, the shortest Dream Theater song, besides Regression. I love this song very much as it proves that Kevin Moore can write extremely short songs that pack a lot of information. Only Kevin Moore and Kevin Labrie is present in this song. Kevin starts off with keyboards and strings playing in the background. After fifteen seconds, Labrie comes in.

Standing by the window
Eyes upon the moon
Hoping that the memory will leave her spirit soon

The main character is standing by the window, staring at the moon. Perhaps she is daydreaming about a memory, something that has meant a lot to her. She just waits and hopes that the memory will leave her. Have you ever had that time where you were daydreaming and you wanted to break out, but the dream was too enchanting that it prevented you from breaking out? that is exactly how she feels.

She shuts the doors and lights
And lays her body on the bed
Where images and words are running deep
She has too much pride to pull  the sheets above her head
So quietly she lays and waits for sleep

Finally, she breaks out of her daydream as she prepares to sleep. She shuts her door and turns off all her lights as she lays down on her bed. When you daydream, sometimes you think about both the pictures, the images, and the words, the conversations spoken. It is deep within her mind. I remember when I was 5 or 6, I was scared of the dark because I thought monsters were real. I usually covered myself with a blanket and trembled in there until I fell asleep. Right now, if I were to be afraid of the dark and pull the sheets over my head to shut off those nightmares, I'd be called a baby and immature. That would hurt my pride, so instead of cowering, I would not pull the sheets over my head, leaving myself exposed. That is exactly what she is doing as she lays down quietly and waits for sleep.

She stares at the ceiling
And tries not to think
And pictures the chains
She's been trying to link again
But the feeling is gone
And water can't cover her memory
And ashes can't answer her pain
God give me the power to take breath from a breeze
And call life from a cold metal frame

She can't sleep as she stares at the ceiling, waiting for sleep. She tries not to dwell on what she just daydreamed, but it is very hard to do that. It is impossible to not think because your mind will be focused on something. She tries to link her memories together like a chain, but as time passes, that feeling of linking her memories passes away. She begins to cry as the memories come crashing into her, but even tears can't release her from the pain. She is so much in pain that even ashes can't make her feel less pain. She prays to God. In the bible, there is a man named Ezekiel who raised dry bones from the dead. Maybe she had lost her sister and they used to sleep next to each other, but now since she is dead, there is no one to comfort the girl who had lost her sister. She prays to God to revive her sister, but that doesn't happen.

In with the ashes
Or up with the smoke from the fire
With wings up in heaven
Or here, lying in bed
Palm of her hand to my head
Now and forever curled in my heart
And the heart of the world

She can't take it anymore as she doesn't want to live anymore. She ends up committing suicide as she is like the smoke that rises into the air. As she dies, she sees a spiritual figure of her sister resting her palm to the girl's head as she slowly fades into unconsciousness and death. Now, the heart of the world, everything is curled into her heart as she breathes her last.

This story to me is really sad and poetic at the same time. Indeed, losing a loved one is hard for anyone and can drive people to suicide. I know that this is not what is actually meant, but this is my interpretation of the song. Hope you enjoyed it.

Glad to be back.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2015, 02:59:45 AM »
Ah, Wait for Sleep, the shortest Dream Theater song, besides Regression.

You forgot about Through My Words, btw nice review :metal

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2015, 03:13:24 PM »
Haha. thanks. :)
Glad to be back.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2015, 09:17:05 PM »
Learning to Live (11:30)

Ah, here it is! The very first song by John Myung and our Dream Theater song that goes over ten minutes! Learning to Live is a really good song by John Myung. It is my fourth favorite song from John Myung. This song begins with Kevin Moore's catchy intro. It really brings you into this happy and joyful, stress-free mood. Mike Portnoy soon joins the band as finally, Petrucci enters and Learning to Live has officially began. Moore plays the same catchy notes for a little while, then the band jam it out for a while. Kevin Moore changes synths and creates new grooves. After Moore finishes, he is only heard faintly from the background while John Myung is the most prominent here. After some notes by Myung, Labrie.

There was no time for pain
No energy for anger
The sightlessness of hatred slips away
Walking through winter streets alone
He stops and take a breath
With confidence and self-control

We can see the main character is really angry right now, but realizes that right now isn't the best time to be angry. He has wasted all his energy on being angry and as time slowly passes, the hatred he has been holding slowly slips away as he realizes what he has done. He walks down a snowy street all alone as he takes a deep breath to calm himself down. His peak of his anger has faded away and now he has regained some of his self control and confidence. When we are really mad, we act before you think and after a while, we slowly come into realization of what we have done and that is what keeps us sane. 

I look at the world and see no understanding
I'm waiting to find some sense of strength
I'm begging you from the bottom of my heart to show me understanding

He sees the world and as he tries to interpret it, but no interpretation comes to mind. He wants to find some sense of strength and alone, he can't do it. He begs her from the bottom of his heart to teach him about the world, to see understanding of the world he is living in.

I need to live life
Like some people never will
So find me kindness
Find me beauty
Find me truth
When temptation brings me to my knees
And I lay here drained of strength
Show me kindness
Show me beauty
Show me truth

There are a few ways people live life. Some live their life like it is nothing and life just passes by without any meaning. Some people experience life to the fullest to reach the full understanding of the meaning of life itself. As he is experiencing life to the fullest, he can't do it all alone. He needs others to show him kindness, to help guide life with someone who is kind and actually helpful. He also needs beauty to understand the true beauty of the world and truth, a paste that glues civilization together. Temptation is everywhere and I have fought some temptations, but it is really hard to do so. It takes a lot of my willpower to fight temptation ad it drains me of my strength as does the main character. As that happens, we need guidance, we can't fight it alone. That's when the kindness, beauty, and truth from others come in.

The way your heart sounds makes all the difference
It's what decides if you'll endure the pain that we all feel
The way your heart beats makes all the difference
In learning to live
Here before me is my soul
I'm learning to live
I won't give up
Till I've no more to give
WOAAAHHH!

The way your heart sounds does make all the difference in learning to live. If your heart beats at a normal pace, you know you are still living. If it starts slowing down and starts fading away, you know that you are dying. It is proved by "The way your heart beats makes all the difference/In learning to live." When you find a soulmate, you are eternally bonded with them and that soulmate (the she), is the one who provides the man kindness, beauty and truth. With her by his side, he won't give up anymore. He will keep going on until he has no more to give, which is his death. We can see his determination with a strong "WOAHH!" Beautifully worded by John Myung.

Listening to the city
Whispering its violence
I set out watching from above
The 90s bring new questions
New solutions to be found
I fell in love to be let down

He listens to the dark city he lives in. There are many crimes there as we can see the city whispering its violence. He see's the cities from above and the 90's is more technologically advanced than the past times. We can see the main character finding his soulmate was in the past. He had gotten into a huge argument with is so called "soul mate." He fell in love with her, but was let down. Maybe that could be the reason why he is looking for another source of beauty, kindness, and truth to fill in the spiritual void that has been left behind.

Once again we dance in the crowd
At times a step away
From a common fear that's all spread out
It won't listen to what you say
Once you're touched you stand alone
To face the bitter fight
Once I reached for love
And now I reach for life

Another chance to lift my life
Free the sensation in my heart
To ride the wings of dreams into changing horizons
It brings inner peace within my mind,
As I'm lifted from where I've spilt my life
I hear an innocent voice
I hear kindness, beauty, and truth

We can hear an instrumental coming in. Kevin Moore is the first one to take the stage as he does a heartwarming solo and Petrucci plays on his acoustic guitar as maraca's come in. Mike Portnoy and Moore are slightly faded out as Petrucci picks his guitar's strings. Petrucci comes in with his electric guitar after a while and Mike Portnoy is the first to come with his banging of snares and he quickly transitions to his ride. Petrucci plays it out and then Labrie comes in with...with...!

Woooooah!
Wooooooooooooooaaah!!!!!
WOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

OH MY GOSH!!!!!! Did I just hear that correctly? Labrie hit an F#?! Now that is the highlight of the song! Even though Labrie is older and his voice is starting to wear out, he still hit that! I'm sure that would be most people's best James Labrie moment. That is my second best moment, but it is still epic! You are so amazed that you don't notice the epic guitar solo Petrucci does. Anyways, Petrucci unleashes the man's determination in finding love with his solo. We can see how much that man is determined. Kevin Moore comes in with a solo with his lead sound and you are still dancing like crazy to Labrie's amazing vocals, Petrucci's passionate guitar solo and Moore's catchy lead solo.

After a while of jamming, we can hear the familiar tune of Wait for Sleep, as this time, the synth plays with the piano as well as Portnoy's drums and Petrucci. They come in after a while after Moore plays the Wait for Sleep tune around three times. After this, Moore and Petrucci trade solo's and finally, everything fades as Myung gets a part. He is the only one present, then after a while, Portnoy comes in, as the rest of the band eventually joins, but the instrumental is much quieter. After a while, Labrie comes in once again.

The way your heart sounds makes all the difference
It's what decides if you'll endure the pain that we all feel
The way your heart beats makes all the difference
In learning to live
Spread before you is your soul
So forever hold the dreams within our hearts
Through nature's inflexible grace
I'm learning to live

The main character has found the true meaning of life. The true meaning of life is holding the dreams that we want and are so dear to us, we must cherish it and hold it in our heart. Like that man, we must be determined in finding our true love and although temptation seeks us to bring us to our knees, nature is kind enough to be unchanging, so we do not lose our place and we find the true meaning of life. By that, he is learning to live, with the determination of him, nature's inflexible grace, and through his soulmate.

In the outro, the band plays the same notes over and over again until the end as Labrie's background vocals of "Oh's" can be heard. The music slowly fades and finally it is done. The epic is completed with true meaning. Man, I love this song.

Next album up: Awake! 6:00!
Glad to be back.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2015, 10:34:03 PM »
It's very interesting to read your interpretations of these songs. I know for many of the songs on IW the band has said what they were about, but what's great about this band is there are so many different ways you can interpret many of their songs. Keep it up!
BTW, while on the CD the ending instrumental just repeats, live they usually throw in various different melody lines, usually traded between guitar and keyboard. Most came from the demo version of this song, before it was recorded professionally (and before they had James too). This song is also one that they've extended in several spots on previous tours.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2015, 02:08:06 PM »
Thank you for that! Thanks for your compliment and the motivation. It really helped me.

6:00 (5:31)
[/size]

Now, we are on to the next album Awake! Awake is the third studio album by American progressive metal/rock band Dream Theater, released on October 4, 1994 through East West Records. It was the last Dream Theater album to feature keyboardist Kevin Moore, who announced his decision to leave the band during the recording of the album. The album's opening track, "6:00", features lyrics written by Moore, hinting at the growing distance between him and the rest of the band. Petrucci wrote the lyrics of "Innocence Faded", inspired by his deteriorating friendship with Moore. "The way I wrote lyrics a lot of the time is that I'll take an initial spark of an idea... But then I'll kind of generalize and add in other situations," Petrucci said. "So I couldn't say it was solely about that, but it was definitely inspired by that. There was a feeling of it not being the same way it had been, and the realization that things were not always going to remain the same."

Now, let's begin shall we? This first song of the album starts off with Portnoy on drums. He has a mini drum intro/solo and that pattern he plays after the pounding of drums on the intro, will be prominent throughout this song. Kevin Moore comes in after a while and plays a short pattern as the rest of the band joins in. They riff it out as Portnoy keeps playing the pattern. After some riffing, Moore comes in and starts off the song as Petrucci riffs throughout the intro. After that sampling.

"Six o'clock on a Christmas morning..."
"And for what?"
"Well, isn't it for the honor of God, Aunt Kate?"
"I know all about the honor of God, Mary Jane."

That's nice and all, after all it it is relevant to the title, six o'clock. The first time I listened to this sampling, I was alright with it as it didn't do me any harm, but as I kept on listening to it over and over and over and over again, it got under my skin. Now, it annoys me so much and I am sure to skip the sampling and delve right in to the song. Yes, that is how annoying this sampling is. After that, Labrie comes in, his voice grating.

Six o'clock the siren kicks him from a dream
Tries to shake it off but it just won't stop
Can't find the strength but he's got promises to keep
And wood to chop before he sleeps

Here is an average day of work. There is a set time you must wake up and most people can't get up this early. That is why people use an alarm clock. A man was dreaming while sleeping when the alarm goes off, effectively waking him up from his dream. The grating alarm clock noise is so annoying and the man tries to shake it off and resume his dream, but the alarm clock won't stop ringing! Have you ever had that time where you were peacefully sleeping then an alarm clock wakes you up, as you try to hide deeper in your covers, but you have to get up to turn off the annoying sound? The man doesn't have any strength to get up and work, but he made a promise when he got the job to attend every day. We can see he is possibly a wood chopper as he must chop wood.

I may never get over, but never's better than now
I've got bases to cover

Have you heard the term later is better than never? Well, the main character has another belief, an opposite belief. He is certain that never is better than now. What a weird way to word things. The man feels like his life is like a baseball diamond. He must run base after base, to home. Then the cycle continues. After this section, Moore and Portnoy resume the pattern they were playing in the beginning as John Petrucci comes in, matching Moore's pattern as well as Myung. They finish with a bang and Labrie comes in once again.

He's in the parking lot and he's just sitting in his car
It's nine o'clock but he can't get out
He lights a cigarette and turns the music down
but just can't seem to shake that sound

He gets all dressed up and ready to work as he makes his way to his car. He is still very sleepy, but the ringing noise of the alarm clock is still in his head. He is basically in a zombified state and stays like that for around 3 hours....wow. He just can't move as he is in a daze so he just gives up and lights a cigarette. He smokes to feel more at peace as he lowers the volume for the music, but the ringing of the alarm clock is still in his head and he still can't get that sound out.

Once I thought I'd get over
but it's too late for me now
I've got bases to cover

Kevin Moore hints at the strained relationship between him and Dream Theater. He tries adjusting to their way of direction for the band and he thought that he would get used to it and he'd get over it, but it's too late for him. The cycle must continue on and he feels himself straining and straining with the band.

Melody walks through the door
and memory flies out the window
and nobody knows what they want
'til they finally let it all go

Ah, here's the official chorus. As time passes, the good memories he has had with Dream theater just leaves him. It flies out of the window. The melody in a song is necessary and vital, but we can see it too, waling out the door. He feels himself getting distant from Dream Theater. I'm sure all of you had a time, like me, in which you didn't think highly of something until you let it go. You might have a loving pet, but didn't realize the true beauty of it, until you it died. Kevin Moore is saying he does not know what he wants and the only  way he can find it out is if he leaves Dream Theater. If he leaves Dream Theater, he would surely know if Dream Theater was his main goal or not. Kevin Moore gets a nice solo as he expresses his frustration with Dream Theater. The solo is nothing special, but man, I just love the sound Kevin Moore uses. It first confused me as I thought it was Petrucci. Anyways, Labrie comes back in.

The pain inside, coming outside (x4)

The band has mellowed down a bit as you can hear the instruments softly. Labrie is the main man here as he sounds frustrated, singing this part. The third time Labrie repeats this section, the familiar drum pattern from Portnoy comes in. The fourth time, Labrie is whisper/singing as he adds an "UHHH," in the end. Portnoy's drum pattern gets stronger and he adds a few notes with his ride as Moore and Petrucci riff it out. Labrie comes in with an extremely strong performance for this bridge.

So many ways to drown a man
So many ways to drag him down
Some are fast and some take years and years
Can't hear what he's saying when he's talking in his sleep
He finally found the sound but he's in too deep

Man, that's really dark. This just gives you many alternatives to kill some one. There are indeed many ways to drown someone. It could be holding their head underwater, tying dumbells to their legs and flinging them in the ocean, and yeah. Some methods are quick to kill someone like cutting their head, crushing them, lethal injection, but others could take longer like giving them a fatal disease that grows and develops over time. The last two sentences could be talking about comatose. He is in a catatonic state.

I could never get over
Is it too late for me now?
Feel like blowing my cover

Moore feels likes he can't get over Dream Theater and asks, "Is it too late for me now?" He wants to blow his cover, telling the band that he quits. He is frustrated with the differences and wants to quit. After, Labrie sings the chorus one more time then moves on to the final part of the song.

But don't cut your losses too soon, 'cause you'll only be cutting your throat
And answer a call while you still hear at all 'cause nobody will if you won't

Kevin Moore finalizes on his decision of leaving the band. Cutting losses is abandoning an enterprise or course of action that is clearly going to be unprofitable or unsuccessful before one suffers too much loss or harm. Kevin Moore knows that he is hurting himself by making the decision to leave the band as he says "Cause you'll only be cutting your throat." He knows what will happen, but his mind has been made and he is ready to say goodbye to the band.

"Six o'clock on a Christmas morning..."(x4)
"I know all about the honor of God, Mary Jane" (x4)

The band finishes with a sample as Petrucci gets a quick, small solo over the sampling and that concludes the first song from Awake. This is not a bad song at all, I enjoy it, but I could do without the sampling. Basically, be vocal of your creative differences, don't keep it all in as it will be a burden to you overtime.
Glad to be back.