Author Topic: The Leftovers (HBO) - Season 3  (Read 11615 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: The Leftovers (HBO) - Season 2
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2015, 01:36:44 PM »
Holy crap.

I didn't get a chance to watch last night...but this statement all but guarantees that I'll be carving out an hour tonight!!!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2015, 09:29:54 PM »
Holy crap.

What. The. Fu%k!!?  I mean....just WOW!! I'm speechless right now.......

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2015, 07:03:28 PM »
Holy crap.

I was hoping someone here would have something, I'm just in awe right now
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2015, 07:46:18 PM »
Holy crap.

I was hoping someone here would have something, I'm just in awe right now

Having thought on it a day now....that was just such a well written episode. On one hand, let's call it the 'supernatural' aspect....Kevin is in this battle against the GR leader and has someone who knows all about it willing to help him...it makes 'sense' when they are talking about it, it seems 'real' to them.....then, on the other hand, the 'reality' aspect, Kevin's wife spells it all out for him and shows him that he's just going crazy. All his actions are actions of a crazy man up to the last phone call with Nora....a very 'lost touch with reality' phone call and I had the feeling that Nora knew it.

So the whole set up is Kevin on one hand is going to do this big 'battle' to rid himself of the GR lady and on the other hand he's just finally lost it and is going to kill himself. I can't imagine that he actually stays dead so it'll be interesting to see how he comes back?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2015, 05:57:26 AM »
Yeah, I did enjoy that dichotomy between what's real and what's in Kevin's mind, and it was clear he greatly misunderstood his father when he said he just did what they asked. I'm pretty sure he was referring to the doctors and not the voices.
It's also pretty interesting how that dichotomy you mention, that battle within himself is materialized in Patty telling him she wants him do it but also telling him not to.

The part that I really don't understand is why the grandfather just lets him do it and then puts a gun in his mouth and also why Michael seemed to be OK with all of that, he doesn't look surprised when he goes into the house after hearing the shot.

And the part that I hate the most is that I'm going on vacation so it will be 3 weeks before I can find an answer to all of these questions  >:(

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2015, 07:24:12 AM »

The part that I really don't understand is why the grandfather just lets him do it and then puts a gun in his mouth and also why Michael seemed to be OK with all of that, he doesn't look surprised when he goes into the house after hearing the shot.

I think the argument they were having when Kevin arrived had a lot to do with why Michael wasn't shocked. I'm almost thinking they 'knew' what was about to happen (Michael saying God be with you) and that's why he wasn't shocked and almost had that "yep...it happened" look when he came through the door.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2015, 10:03:05 AM »

I think the argument they were having when Kevin arrived had a lot to do with why Michael wasn't shocked. I'm almost thinking they 'knew' what was about to happen (Michael saying God be with you) and that's why he wasn't shocked and almost had that "yep...it happened" look when he came through the door.

I know, but why did he let that happen? That's the part I can't understand.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2015, 01:27:52 PM »
And the part that I hate the most is that I'm going on vacation so it will be 3 weeks before I can find an answer to all of these questions  >:(

Well, on the bright side you'll have all the rest of the season to watch at once when you get back.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2015, 09:42:30 AM »
I was really late on watching this most recent episode.

My take on Virgil's suicide by gun was that perhaps he was going to 'go to to the other side' with Kevin and guide him along his way. Not sure why Michael came to move the body. Regardless of whether or not he knew what was going to happen (seems pretty obvious that he did), I still don't understand why he needed to move the body.

I wonder what's up with Tommy these days.

Also don't think Kevin is going to stay dead, but I'm worried about the territory that the show runners are entering now. Not sure where they're going from here. Kind of feels like they might've bitten off more than they can chew with this Patti showdown. Maybe not though, I'll reserve judgement until the end of the season at least. And hopefully into a third season.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2015, 09:17:38 PM »
I quite enjoyed tonight's episode. I was a bit worried coming in, but I thought they dealt with it well. Really enjoyed seeing Holy Wayne again. Also really curious to see how they're going to wrap things up in only two hours. Hopefully without leaving too many loose threads. That's something Lost used to do between seasons, but I much prefer something along the lines of the first seasons finale, which left things open but didn't have any huge plot cliffhangers.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2015, 09:52:21 PM »
I quite enjoyed tonight's episode. I was a bit worried coming in, but I thought they dealt with it well. Really enjoyed seeing Holy Wayne again. Also really curious to see how they're going to wrap things up in only two hours. Hopefully without leaving too many loose threads. That's something Lost used to do between seasons, but I much prefer something along the lines of the first seasons finale, which left things open but didn't have any huge plot cliffhangers.

Yeah....that was a very interesting take on that place between being dead and alive....if there is such a place?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2015, 12:09:20 PM »
Very weird episode. Fun to watch and very powerful at times. Pushing a child down to die in a well? That's got to be tough, no matter the circumstances.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2015, 01:18:29 PM »
Very weird episode. Fun to watch and very powerful at times. Pushing a child down to die in a well? That's got to be tough, no matter the circumstances.

Yeah....it had a very strange feel to it yet it was so intriguing. It was interesting that the well was the exact spot where the prehistoric chic died....and that hawk (although not in the real world) screeching after Kevin pushed the kid into the well like it did when the small child was saved from the dying prehistoric chic.....don't know what it all "means" per say but I'm certain it had to be intentional.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2015, 07:08:57 AM »
As soon as I saw the scene with Evie and Meg on the bench I knew what was coming. Overall I thought this episode didn't live up to the greatness of the season as a whole, if for no other reason than the fact that I dislike Meg and have since the beginning of the show.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2015, 07:30:25 AM »
As soon as I saw the scene with Evie and Meg on the bench I knew what was coming. Overall I thought this episode didn't live up to the greatness of the season as a whole, if for no other reason than the fact that I dislike Meg and have since the beginning of the show.

I am not a fan of Meg either.....she's just not a strong character and Liv Tyler is not a strong actress. Meg may be interesting had someone else played her....but Liv Tyler is brutal.....

Still trying to figure out the 'I was trying to get you pregnant' statement......

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2015, 11:35:55 AM »
Don't now what you're talking about, I thought Liv Tyler did a great job here and had some really cool moments.

And I really didn't see the Evie and the others in the trailer thing coming. Very excited for the finale next week.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2015, 11:38:49 AM »
Don't now what you're talking about, I thought Liv Tyler did a great job here and had some really cool moments.

I think it's just a pre-existing condition for me. I've never liked her so there's most certainly a chance that I really haven't 'given her a shot'....so, I'll have to take your opinion for it because I know mine is biased.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2015, 08:26:06 PM »
I'm going to be pissed if the Leftovers is canceled and that's the last episode it gets, because that was easily one of the best single episodes of TV I've ever seen.

I look forward to hearing others' thoughts as well, but damn if they didn't pull it off. I was largely skeptical through many parts of this season, but it all came together here. So many beautiful moments, I'm going to have to rewatch this one soon   :hefdaddy

It really did feel like the final episode of the series though, the way it all came together there at the end...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 08:31:15 PM by senecadawg2 »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2015, 09:17:52 PM »
I'm going to be pissed if the Leftovers is canceled and that's the last episode it gets, because that was easily one of the best single episodes of TV I've ever seen.

I look forward to hearing others' thoughts as well, but damn if they didn't pull it off. I was largely skeptical through many parts of this season, but it all came together here. So many beautiful moments, I'm going to have to rewatch this one soon   :hefdaddy

It really did feel like the final episode of the series though, the way it all came together there at the end...

Dude....I totally agree! That was a fantastic episode.....just awesome!!!! The second season was incredible IMO. I liked that even though they'd leave you with a new question or two after each episode....they'd answer it as well.

I do feel like they did a great job of either A. Giving us a killer episode to end the series....or B. Left it to where next season could literally be anything.

I can't even begin to describe how pleased I am with that season and this finale episode in particular. Just wow.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2015, 11:17:02 AM »
I have to agree with both of you, that was amazing. One of the best seasons of TV I've seen.

So did the season 1 finale. I didn't think we'd get more after that, but then all of this happened.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2015, 11:32:03 AM »
That performance by Therioux singing 'Homeward Bound' was friggin' chilling in all the right ways. What a performance....to take a song and then 'say' so much while singing it in a certain way.

I really dig that concept of 'purgatory' or "wherever" that was Kevin went. It's even more fascinating when you learn that it seems like everyone there 'knows' where they are at and that they are stuck there.....

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2015, 11:35:01 AM »
It must've been the funniest super sad cathartic epiphany I've ever seen.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2015, 11:39:34 AM »
It must've been the funniest super sad cathartic epiphany I've ever seen.

the entire way it was set up. Even the guy at the bar saying 'what, too easy for ya'?" Then to have that powerful a moment as a character.....so well done IMO.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2015, 11:45:49 AM »
It was really weird and really great.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2015, 12:58:56 PM »
I was so anxious about whether or not Kevin was going to survive, leading up to that moment when it zoomed out from the bridge and went to white before his waking up in the tub.

I wanted to scream and laugh and cry all at the same time seeing him sent back there. And yes, the karaoke scene was phenomenal.

This is something that Lost did really well at times, and which the first 19 episodes of The Leftovers did even better in my opinion, but this finale takes the cake as far as being incredibly cinematic. I don't even possess the correct terminology to talk about these things, but the technical filmic details that went into the episode made for an incredible visual experience. Small things like the final shot panning across the living room and the handheld camera effect when Nora was chasing after the baby-thief and so on and so forth- everything felt on point.

And Max Richter's music... Always been one of the highlights of the show for me and used perfectly here, once again.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: December 07, 2015, 01:17:57 PM »
the final shot panning across the living room

That scene had a very 'last episode of LOST' feel to it....when they were all gathered in the Church.

I REALLY hope this show is picked up for another season....so curious to see how they'd follow this one up? They left it to where they could literally 'tell' any type of story.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2015, 01:35:52 PM »
And Max Richter's music... Always been one of the highlights of the show for me and used perfectly here, once again.

Agreed. It's so damn emotional and powerful. It never fails to really move me.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2015, 01:45:56 PM »
So.....were there just us (4) on DTF who watched this show?  :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2015, 02:58:41 PM »
I know TioJorge was in on the first season, but he hasn't posted in the thread in a long time. It's a shame too, because I think the show deserves so much more. Don't get me wrong, I understand why people flock to shows like Game of Thrones and Walking Dead, but this one has just been so much more satisfying for me. Don't know what exactly it is about Leftovers, because it's not really the mysterious aspects or even necessarily the plot, but it's never let me down. I guess it's just asking the right kinds of questions of me, at this point in my life, if that makes any sense whatsoever.

As for Season 3, if it makes it, I think you're right that it could go anywhere. I don't see them up and moving in the same way that it did between One and Two, because the believability of that shift in setting was entirely predicated on the uniqueness of Jarden, but there's definitely a lot left to explore. I think the situation in Australia is probably the most obvious direction for things to head, but again there's no telling how that will relate to the current cast of characters.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2015, 08:29:54 AM »
I watched endured both seasons. But definitely not because I liked the show. Just to pass the time and see how it will continue to annoy and bore me, how many ridiculous questions it will leave open, how stupid the characters would continue to react, and what random twist comes next. I seriously wonder why people give money to Lindelof and I hope the show gets cancelled. Even though I may keep on watching to shake my head for ten more hours wasted. :biggrin:

Greetings...
Nef

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2015, 08:31:26 AM »
I watched endured both seasons. But definitely not because I liked the show. Just to pass the time and see how it will continue to annoy and bore me, how many ridiculous questions it will leave open, how stupid the characters would continue to react, and what random twist comes next. I seriously wonder why people give money to Lindelof and I hope the show gets cancelled. Even though I may keep on watching to shake my head for ten more hours wasted. :biggrin:

Greetings...
Nef

Please....tell us how you REALLY feel..... :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2015, 10:54:44 AM »
I've seen similar comments made on their FB page as well and I can't, for the life of me, wrap my head around this.

I've never wasted more than two hours on a show that I didn't like and I can't imagine why anyone would do so, and continue to do so with the expectation of further disliking the show.

Seriously Nef- why don't you watch, or do, something else? Are you a masochist? Surely there are less annoying and boring ways to spend your time, right?

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2015, 01:47:49 AM »
I might have exaggerated a bit. :angel:

It's well made and has a few interesting characters and ideas. And it certainly keeps a viewer curious and guessing. The reasons I kept watching were being curious and also waiting for something to like or at least be marginally passionate about. But in the end there is just no real goal or payoff besides trading older mysteries for new ones. There's never any sort of explanation or justification behind those mysteries and even more so the many astoundingly ridiculous choices those characters make. And that doesn't exactly satisfy my entertainment needs.

There are a lot of shows I really enjoy and I'm not a masochist (even though I'm on DTF almost on daily basis). It's just curiosity and an hour to waste relaxing after coming home from work.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: December 10, 2015, 02:27:19 AM »
Regarding the "ridiculous" choices by characters, I don't think there are any. I'm almost every episode impressed by how realistic (considering their unrealistic circumstances) these people are.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2015, 07:50:10 PM »
It was renewed for a third and final season.

I'm split on this one. Very happy that it's getting another season, very disappointed that it's not getting more. Lindelof has talked about plans for a 5 season arc in the past and those plans are obviously not going to come to fruition. This is HBO's idea of a compromise, no doubt.