Author Topic: JRundquist's 2015 Music In Review  (Read 10799 times)

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
JRundquist's 2015 Music In Review
« on: September 29, 2015, 11:33:50 PM »
COMING OCTOBER 1ST, 2015

EVERYTHING YOU EVER THOUGHT YOU KNEW ABOUT MY REVIEWS IS ABOUT TO CHANGE, FOREVER!

DETAILS TO COME LATER TODAY!

FUCK YEAH, CAPSLOCK!

:corn :corn :corn
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: JRundquist's 2015 Music In Review
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 04:48:22 AM »
Yaaaaaay, this thread again! :D :caffeine:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 06:30:49 AM »
Fuck yeah bro, looking forward to this.  Hope all is well.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 02:09:15 PM »
That Drummer Guy's 2015 Music in Review- THE DETAILS!!!!

Essentially, with how busy I am (Sadly part of why I don't get to contribute here as much as I used to in the past) as That Drummer Guy, the popularity of the radio show, doing interviews not only at shows now but also on the phone, skype and written, not to mention having an active band that will have a new album in 2016 and having an actual life; there is simply no way I can fully go through all 100GBs + of music a year anymore and give every album the exact same listening treatment. Sure, I can still check out every album, skim and scan for highlights and pick out songs for the radio show (WHICH YOU SHOULD ALSO CHECK OUT!!!!), but to be able to give album review of a release where I've checked out 2-3 songs is simply not fair and not something I wanna do.

So I have a brand new way that I will be presenting my reviews for you all. A way that makes more sense, less time consuming for me. Hopefully more enjoyable for all of you!

So what's staying the same?

1.) I will still be making a list of my top 100 albums of 2015. For myself, anything less than that and I am really skipping out on some amazing albums; anything more, people will lost interest. I will still be ranking each of the Top 100 in countdown order.

2.) I will still be rating the albums out of 10, with the occasional x.5 for good measure.

3.) I will still be trying to make each review enjoyable and fun to hopefully make you interested in each album you could potentially be interested in.

4.) Every review will be in a completely random order.

5.) I will still be doing a Worst of 2015 list. Actually my biggest collection, 30 albums and counting! Don't expect that list till Mid December.

Now, what's going to change?

1.) I will be including every album I am reviewing right from the beginning. No waiting till the end of the year to enjoy the best music of the year. Although, I will not be setting up the order of my Top 100 Albums until Mid December. And with that, When it comes time for the Top 100 I will just do a refresher as to why you should check these albums out! The reviews will also be deeper into detail. Not novel long, but enough to tell what's really going on with each album.

2.) I will be including for the first time, EPs. Every person's definition of an EP is different. Some say under 45 minutes, some say under 40, some say a half hour. To put an end to the debacle on my side, The cut off is 35 minutes, anything more is an album anything less is an EP. Yes, this is all debatable, but if I over think it, I won't be including any at all, so I'm settling on this for this year.

3.) For the first time I am also going to do a ranking for the local MN/WI music that I received this year. I catch a lot of crap every year from locals here about not including them in my end of the year list. Now they get their wish. A separate one, but a list. Why separate? For pretty much the same reason I left them out of the main list, if I include one, everyone in the area is mad that I didn't include EVERYONE. So let's see how it goes this year and take things from there.

4.) I MIGHT be adding other rankings to the mix as well. Favorite shows, favorite interviews, etc. Haven't fully decided but I am leaning towards it.

I have a list of music so far of stuff I know I'm going to review and a list of music that I need to put more listens into before giving it a fair review. Will I get to them, odds are, probably not, but I do have the list for ones I wanna see if I can give a fair chance in the next few months now that I have received ALMOST all the albums I know will make the list. As always, there is always room for late entries.

I'm doing all of this in preparation for what I'll be doing starting January 1st, 2016. I'm going to make this an all year long event. Now that I live an in environment where I feel I can put this much time into it. I wanna be able to do reviews for albums as soon as I give the album a fair chance. Sticking with the albums I dig and leaving the ones I don't till the end of the year. While waiting till December to do reviews give me a full retrospective of what I enjoyed in the year. I wanna be able to enjoy the holiday season as well, instead of agonizing over this year after year. Who knows, doing it all year may lead to every single album I get a fair chance and review?

Thank you guys in advance for checking out everything I'm going to be sending your way. I hope you enjoy it as much as I will doing it.

Stay tuned for tomorrow when the games begin!

You can pay for a full seat, but you'll only need, THE EDGE!!!

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 04:49:28 PM »
So....I started a little early....ENJOY!

https://www.thatdrummerguy.com/blog/album-review-intronaut-the-direction-of-last-things

Intronaut- The Direction Of Last Things
FFO: Progressive Metal, Sludge Metal, Atmospheric

Intronaut is back with their 5th album and it is their most ambitious album to date. Going back, somewhat, to their roots, the band is starting to venture back into it's jazzier roots and instrumental sections and adding quite a bit of clean vocals to boot. Having Devin Townsend come in at the end for mixing was an absolute great touch!

The album starts with the single, Fast Worms, which is a pretty accurate portrayal of the direction of the album. Heavy and aggressive in the right spots, jazzy in the right sections, clean and growled vocals as needed and the right amount of adventurous genre bending. Digital Gerrymandering starts off completely heavy and sludgy with a mix of Devin Townsend style guitar riffing then builds up and up till it kicks in with almost CKY-ish style vocal melodies which continues throughout the song. The Pleasant Surprise starts off with a Brann Dailor style drum intro, not to be outdone with the Mastodon style riffing and arrangement to match. The song stays consistently fast and is arguably the heaviest song on the album. The Unlikely Event Of A Water Landing is the centerpiece of the album. It starts with a errie soundclip then begins. There is a big Cynic vibe on this song. Mellow pacing with lots of intricate sections on every instrument. The middle of the song picks up a little bit with heaviness ala Devin Townsend. The ending of the song (5:26 till the end) is the real highlight of the album. While staying mellow. The bass starts to really shine before the guitar leads kick in ala Cloudkicker's mellow side. A great Post Rock-ish way to end the song. Sul Ponticello, the other heaviest song on the album starts off ferociously almost Death Metal, then glides back into the Intronaut style we all know and love. The song stays more mid tempo with the right moments of heaviness thrown in and sludgy all the way through. The song ends with some soundclips and chanting. The title track, The Direction of Last Things, starts off nice and heavy with lots of double bass throughout almost the entire song. Lots of Sludgey style Progressive riffs that the band is best known for as well. 3/4ths of the way into the song, it switches into a Cynic style Jazz section once again with lots of ethereal vibes behind it before unleashing a crushing riff to close out the track. The album ends with City Hymnal which almost sounds like a tribute to Cloudkicker, but with vocals. Crazy off time drums and staccato guitar and bass riffing with an atmospheric, Post Rock leads behind everything. Much like Cloudkicker, the song builds up then back down then builds up until the end but then ends on an abrupt note, much like a hymnal being closed shut angerily.

Overall, Intronaut has knocked it out of the park once again. The band is on record saying the album only took 4 days to complete recording, which is a shocker in today's age. But it also proves that all you really need is to be able to get your songs down as tight as possible before going into the studio. This is going to be held very high as one of the best albums of the year and arguably the band's best album. It is very much worthy of that notion. This is an album that Intronaut fans have wanted all along and any real fan of the band will not be disappointed!

- 9.5/10

Intronaut- The Direction Of Last Things available November 13th via Century Media

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 05:08:02 PM »
crud, now i'm even more hyped for this  :lol

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 06:11:16 PM »
So Hideous- Laurestine

https://www.thatdrummerguy.com/blog/album-review-so-hideous-laurestine

So Hideous- Laurestine
FFO: Cinematic/Film Score, Atmospheric Black Metal, Post Rock

It doesn't take too much for me to enjoy a band. Just be solid at what you do and make music that will keep my interest. But it takes A LOT for me to be blown away with an album. Creating a new genre or expanding on a genre idea usually works, lots of dynamics, peaks and valleys is a huge plus. Moments that grab your attention and never let you go no matter how hard you try. And finally making a REAL album the artist(s) wanted to make. That is exactly what So Hideous has achieved here with their concept album Laurestine.

(The album is one 40 minute long epic split into 7 tracks)

Laurestine is a concept album about a man and his postmortem experience in his mind within the first 7 minutes after death, where the brain is still active. Easily one of the coolest concepts for an album I've ever heard. I won't spoil the story for those that wanna experience it for themselves, but it is a killer story! The journey begins with Yesteryear. It starts with electronic drums and piano before bursting into an eruption of Black Metal, Post Metal and arguably the coolest thing about the entire album an orchestra and choir! The song serves as almost an overture to the entire album while still having it's own, unique sound. Hereafter is an instrumental that starts with clean guitar and the orchestra gradually building up and up with the drums slowly but surely kicking in with the bass for a climax ending on a softer, piano driven end. Relinquish starts orchestral and builds up to the Atmospheric Black Metal and Post Rock sides of the album again. It's not until over half way through the track when vocals kick in, but when they do, they absolutely blow you away. The second half of the song is one of the most epic sounding pieces on the album and you can envision the battle that the story tells going on in your mind. The Keepsake starts off more in the Post Rock style again with some tribal drumming mixed with the orchestra. About a quarter of the way in, it kicks into a Godspeed You! Black Emperor climax before going back into the Orchestral Black Metal. The second half of the song returns back to the GY!BE vibe. It's almost romantic towards the very end. The True Pierce is the climax of the entire album. Just like in any action or Sci-Fi movie with the final fight taking place, this is the soundtrack to that battle. The dynamics hit you extremely hard and can almost bring a tear to your eye. The end of the song everything gets soft and piano driven once again. The final movement of the album, A Faint Whisper is the grand finale and gives you the sense of glory and a happy ending that you wanted to see happen, much like the triumphant music at the end of Star Wars Episode IV. The music continues to ascend and ascend till the final notes fade away.

Essentially, the whole album is as if Deafheaven, Ihsahn and John Williams made an album together. It's as awesome as that idea sounds. It takes you on an epic journey in an amazing concept and gives you a 40 minute short film in your mind and your ears which will takes you through all of the feelings of fear, anger, brutality, reasoning, and acceptance. Once again as a reminder, this is a 40 minute song that is split into 8 tracks, as long as you keep that in mind about any overuse or repetition of sound; this is one of the crowning achievements in Atmospheric Black Metal and an absolute game changer of all the genres involved.

- 10/10

So Hideous- Laurestine available October 16th via Prosthetic Records

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 08:10:10 PM »
So are albums you review now ones that won't make the top 100?

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 08:39:36 PM »
I shall follow this one.  These thoughts are pretty good, man.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 09:12:54 PM »
I think I missed Intronauts last album, so looks like I better check it out.  That second album sounds interesting too.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 11:38:39 PM »
Thanks for the love so far!

So are albums you review now ones that won't make the top 100?

No. ones that will be in the top 100 WILL be reviewed before hand. Both albums so far are without question going to be on there.

This is a transitional year for me because I wanna start doing my reviews for 2016 as soon as I get them and get a good impression of the album, so, while now being 10 months behind on that, I wanna get this down with practice of getting albums I've recently listened to, then start going back throughout the year so far. Since it's October, theres not as many albums to listen to that I don't already have. So I'm somewhat going backwards, then trying to recap everything, then make the final lists.

Confusing? Yes! But essentially, any album reviewed so far has potential to make the top 100. I'm not making the list until Mid-December.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 08:48:46 PM »
I apologize for the lack of reviews today. Some family stuff came up today that needed my attention and some personal matters also came up that are now resolved.

I'm staying up tonight and doing a few reviews that I'll post tomorrow. I also have an awesome interview lined up tomorrow that I'll post after I get it EQ'ed, so be on the lookout in my other thread!

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 03:57:23 PM »
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com/blog/album-review-soilwork-the-ride-majestic

Soilwork- The Ride Majestic
FFO- Melodic Death Metal, Progressive Metal

Soilwork has been a staple in Metal since their debut, Steelbath Suicide back in 1998. So how is the band holding up 17 years later? Like many bands in that amount of time, they have changed almost drastically. Although the band does keep their MDM roots in check, the band, now a days, is focusing much more on a proggier approach to songwriting, The Ride Majestic almost marks a turning point in the band, in which they are continuing to blend chaos with beauty. A great example of this is one of the sexiest ways to play Metal: Blast Beats Over Clean Vocals. The Ride Majestic also showcases a very mature approach to songwriting, no added segments, just because, no extra frills and shakes, just solid playing. Now how does this album compare to the past?

The albums tarts with the title track, The Ride Majestic. It starts with a slower, bluesy guitar riff before coming in with complete devastation and heaviness. What really sells the song is the melodic guitar over the heaviness. The song hearkens back to the days of Figure Number Five in the verse and the chorus of The Living Infinite. Alight In The Aftermath starts off extremely heavy with vibes going back all the way to Steelbath Suicide in parts. This is the first example of doing blast beats over clean vocals. The song goes through many tempo and style variations with a very bluesy solo in between the acts of chaos the rest of the song is. Death In General starts off with some guitar feedback and guitar in the background before the drums kick in with a tom assault. The main riff is a bluesy metal riff over a Meshuggah style beat. While still fast, this is one of the slower songs on the album verse wise. Then mind screws you with some blast beats before the second chorus. Enemies In Fidelity is one of the highlights of the album. It hints at the Figure Number Five and Stabbing The Drama eras of the band with a chorus that blows you away and is the best example of blast beats over clean vocals as the chorus (seriously, how sexy is this?). Petrichor By Surfer is a more dancey, almost pop metal song with a very haunting chorus. If mainstream radio gave it a chance, this would be a great single to have on Top 40 Rock. The Phantom is the most surprising song on the album because it touches on a genre you'd never expect, Black Metal. It even has some Black Metal screams in the beginning of the song. It completely feels like a mix of Melodic Death Metal and Black Metal (that's a genre that should be started asap!). The Ride Majestic (Aspire Angelic) is essentially Soilwork does Dream Theater, but with more blast beats. A part two of the title track if you will, lyrically. Whirl Of Pain starts off with a somber guitar riff and continues on with the slowest song of the album. Even with this being a “ballad” it is still incredibly heavy. All Along Echoing Pain is one of the more mid tempo songs on the album and again, has a Dance Metal feel to it though most of the song. This is quickly changed as soon as blast beats come into play. This could turn into a really great remix if someone decides to give it that kind of attention. Shining Lights is without question fastest song on the album. While the whole song isn't just about speed, it does tears everything apart in it's way with aggression and the right amount of melodicness. Father And Son Watching The World Go Down has a very Progressive Metal vibe throughout due in part to the keyboards and the drums. It has one of the most epic feeling choruses on the album and absolutely perfect closer to the album.

The Ride Majestic is, without question, the highlight of Soilwork's career so far. Everyone is performing at their absolute best. The absolute star of this album is Dirk Verbeuren. I had the pleasure of talking to Dirk a couple years back in support of The Living Infinite and at the time of the interview, he referred to Soilwork as similar to playing in AC/DC where he can, for the most part, relax and groove, compared to what he normally does outside of Soilwork. That is no longer the case. On this album he is balls to the wall from start to finish and showcasing some of his most impressive drum work he has ever recorded. I didn't think it was possible for Soilwork to out-due themselves with the double album, The Living Infinite, but they have shattered all my expectations and released possibly the finest albums in the world of Melodic Death Metal. The Ride Majestic gives to meaning to the words Brutality, Chaos, Melody and Perfection!

- 10/10

Soilwork- The Ride Majestic available now via Nuclear Blast Records

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 04:17:26 PM »
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com/blog/album-review-dog-fashion-disco-ad-nauseam

Dog Fashion Disco- Ad Nauseam

FFO- Experimental Metal, Avant Garde Metal

Dog Fashion Disco has been a band, at least for me, hit or miss. Some albums such as 2006's Adultery, was completely solid from start to finish, whereas some of the earlier work either either I loved, or just didn't grab me the way I hoped. With 2014's Sweet Nothings, it was a return for the bandthat had some great moments, but did feel likie a band trying to regarther it's bearings to find out where they wanted to go. Going into 2015's Ad Nauseam, I was hoping that now that the band is back together full time, that things would be getting into full momentum to help bring back what is so awesome about Dog Fashion Disco. Did they do it?

The album begins with the title track, Ad Nauseam. It starts off fast and has some 80s sounding synths. The chorus is layered with brass, almost giving the album of a 80's Dance Ska feel with Metal guitars. Last Night Never Happened starts with a slow Led Zepplin-ish drumbeat before kicking into an ominous piano making the song feel dark and creepy before kicking with a very upbeat chorus and getting predominantly heavier throughout. The lyrical content matches the music perfectly, very very creepy. Golden Mirage starts off with a piano riff that leads into a Big Band/Ska.Swing feel of a song. Think of the Dog Fashion Disco song, Pogo The Clown for a similar, yet different, vibe. Covered In Blood is without question the heaviest song on the album. It brings back memories of songs such as The Sacrifice Of Miss Rose Covington. A HUGE Slayer vibe is also apparent throughout. When played live, this will be the perfect circle pit song. Only The Haunted brings back a 60s/70s Prog Rock style and carries throughout the rest of the song. Lotion On It's Skin is a Brass filled horror song from the point of view of Buffalo Bill from Silence Of The Lambs (which is quite apparent given the title of the song). While the song isn't similar to Goodbye Horses, it does sound as creepy and happy...if you don't pay attention to the lyrics. Baby Bones once again starts with a lone piano riff and continues being a slower to mid tempo ballad. The song itself is slow, but the drums make it feel faster than it is. It begins to get a little heavier towards the end. Starving Artist is the final track and also the longest track on the album. It is the second heaviest song on the album starting off slower then gaining momentum with a bombastic, off time riff from everyone in the band. While there are lone Piano/vocal parts throughout, the song keeps up the chops of the proggy side of Dog Fashion Disco and at times, the side project Polkadot Cadaver. The second half of the song is a doomy, Sabbath style that helps end the song right before one final progression riff to end the album in a chaotic way.

At just 36 minutes, Ad Nauseam absolutely flies by and is quite the adrenaline rush of all senses, peaks, and valleys. While the album is not the perfect Dog Fashion Disco album, it is fantastic to have the band back full time and sounding as tight as ever. Any DFD fan can hope that Sweet Nothings and Ad Nauseam are just the beginning of what will hopefully be a lengthy return of the band we know and love, Dog Fashion Disco!

- 7/10

Dog Fashion Disco- Ad Nauseam available now via Rotten Records

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 05:00:48 PM »
Clutch- Psychic Warfare

https://www.thatdrummerguy.com/blog/album-review-clutch-psychic-warfare

Clutch- Psychic Warfare
FFO- Hard Rock, Blues Rock

Clutch has been going strong over the past 2 decades. Going from a Hardcore band to the Hard Rock/Blues Rock band that many people today will best know them for. With Clutch's 11th album, Psychic Warfare, The band is continuing down the path they led with their previous album, 2013's Earth Rocker, but adding a little more variation to the mix.

The album starts with a 25 second introduction, The Affidavit before kicking into the lead single, X-Ray Visions (the song is also where the album title get it's name from. The single has a good mix of Earth Rocker and a little bit of the psychedelic vibe of Pure Rock Fury. Firebirds starts with a killer fuzz guitar riff and has a pretty similar vibe to the song Earth Rocker with a bluesier chorus and solo section. A short but sweet song. A Quick Death In Texas, much like the name suggests, has a very southern vibe to it. A way to compare it is D.C. Sound Attack with a Texas twinge (It even has a similar cowbell drum beat in the middle!). Sucker For The Witch is a bit more upbeat. The lyrical content is reminiscent of songs like Cyborg Betty, very memorably vocal lines. Your Love Is Incarceration is layed in a funky, southern groove. If a song like Uptown Funk can take over the planet the way it did, so can Your Love Is Incarceration. Just as catchy and fun to listen to, but hopefully a lot less “I'm so sick of this song being played everywhere” vibe. Doom Saloon is an interlude song of a lone western style guitar riff that has a tremble of distorted guitar for highlights that all leads for the intro to Our Lady Of Electric Light. This ballad brings you all the way back to the old west in an outlaw way. Noble Savage picks the tempo back up in arguably the fastest song that Clutch ahs done in a very long time. The song reeks (in a good way of bluesy rock stylings mixed with 70s style Hard Rock. Behold The Colossus has a more upbeat but similar feel to The Face from Earth Rocker. Decapitation Blues, despite the deception of the song title, is actually quite mid tempo, nice, and heavy. A great rockin' song. The final song, Son Of Virginia is the longest track on the album at 7:15. The song has a vibe similar to Gone Cold if the song had a full drumset. A little before half way through the song, the song picks up in power and keeps up the same momentum throughout the rest of the song before it fades out. The last minute of the song is a bootleg sounding piano riff with some spoken words to end out the song wishing you a good night.

If Earth Rocker was an album for the North, Psychic Warfare is an album for the South. Both albums have a similar vibe to them, but Psychic Warfare is much more in the Blues and Southern Rock variety. Is it the most original album in their career? Far from it,! But that doesn't make it any less solid. If you wanted Earth Rocker to have more of variation in tempo and keep up the blues side of their sound, Psychic Warfare is the perfect album to check out! It proves the point once again that you just need to be solied at what you do to make a great album, and that's exactly what Clutch has delivered with Psychic Warfare.

- 8/10

Clutch- Psychic Warfare available NOW via Weathermaker Records

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 03:23:05 PM »
WHAT THERE IS A NEW DFD ALBUM HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 09:47:19 PM »
The Soilwork was a cracker indeed.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 03:41:31 PM »
I deeply apologize for my lack of review this week. More family stuff has come up that's gotta have my full attention before anything else. I don't know when, but I promise to get back to these asap!

Thanks for the patience!

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2015, 03:11:08 PM »
UPDATE!

I have been having an extremely bad time with reviews since I started it up in the beginning of the month. If it's not family tragedy, it's another family tragedy, and if it's not personal issues, it's other personal issues. A lot of things in the last 3 weeks have made it incredibly hard to not just find the time to do the reviews, but have the drive to do them.

Essentially. This year is a bit of a bust for me on the review end. I'm not skipping the reviews this year, but I'm just waiting till the end of the year and do my Top 100 or so Albums Of The Year. AND THAT'S IT until I start fresh in 2016 and try to keep up with albums as soon as I recieve them.

If you wanna keep up to date with new music on my end, as always, check out the radio show That Drummer Guy Presents and enjoy the 2 hours of brand new music and interviews I give every week!

Thank you very much for understanding.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2015, 12:43:50 AM »
That Drummer Guy​ News Update 11/11/2015

Hey Everybody! I just wanted to give a heads up as to what's going on with me for the rest of 2015 and beyond.

Tomorrow I am recording the FINAL episode of That Drummer Guy Presents for 2015, and by that I mean the last standard show of the year. There is no interviews to air, but I will be premiering my WRITTEN interview I'm premiering later today and I will also be playing songs from 2015 that I love that I never got to fit into any of the shows this year and some I recently just got that deserve some much needed love.

So what's going on the rest of the year?

There will be 4 specialty shows of That Drummer Guy Presents that I am going to be recording before the holidays because this year, I really want the holidays off from having to do more than needed. Those shows will include

The Best Of Minnesota 2015: if you're in Minnesota and didn't send me you album, YOU HAD YOUR CHANCE!!!)

No Vocals Needed 2015: The Best Instrumental Songs of 2015

The Best Covers of 2015

The Epics V: The Best Epic (10 Minute +) Songs of 2015

I am also going to be doing my That Drummer Guy's Top 100 Albums of 2015. Showcasing the absolute best albums of the year Which will include reviews of every album. Unlike what I had originally planned, i am going to do shorter reviews of all 100 albums instead of the detailed ones just because, I, once again, wanna enjoy the holiday season for once, so I will be doing insightful overviews of the albums.

Along with that, I will be playing the Top Albums of the Year for That Drummer Guy Presents: The Best Of 2015 which will be played over the last 2 weeks of the year. However many songs I can fit over 4 hours will be on the show. I still gotta do the final order of the top 100 and I am waiting for one album in particular to come in my email to see if it will make my list, then I will be getting to work. Most likely with that I will be doing a post on every album separately, just because I can.

So what's going on for 2016?

I am planning on doing a revamping of what I do as That Drummer Guy. 2015 was an absolutely great year for what I've wanted to do and exceeded by expectations more than I could ever imagine. So in 2016, I wanna expand more. Starting as soon as I get my first 2016 promo, I will be doping reviews of every album that gets sent to me (within reason i.e: I LIKE IT) and doing my absolute best to make it a year round thing as the pros do instead of doing the gigantic list at the end of the year. Who knows, I might be able to get more albums done than ever before.

I also will be working on the website to make that look more pro once I get some much needed help and advice!

I also plan on doing as many interviews as I possibly can through email, phone, skype, and the best interviews, in person. My goal is to make one interview a week happen. Let's see if it'll work!

Thanks again for all the support you guys have given me over these past 4 and a half years. I wanna make 2016 extra special being my 5th year (HALF A DECADE ALREADY!!!!) as That Drummer Guy.

I'm only getting started....

Josh Rundquist- (That Drummer Guy)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2015, 03:00:51 AM »

So in 2016, I wanna expand more. Starting as soon as I get my first 2016 promo, I will be doping

Sounds good Josh................and work yourself into the  :hat slowly okay?
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2015, 04:48:11 PM »

So in 2016, I wanna expand more. Starting as soon as I get my first 2016 promo, I will be doping

Sounds good Josh................and work yourself into the  :hat slowly okay?

:rollin Thats what I get for doing a press release at almost 2AM.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 05:02:38 PM »
:rollin Thats what I get for doping a press release at almost 2AM.
:tup

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2015, 01:35:31 PM »
In the next couple hours or so I will be starting all this up with my Top 20 Worst Albums of 2015.

Till then, enjoy this pic I took of King Diamond back on Monday night:

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2015, 03:20:33 PM »
Alright folks, let the butthurt commence! THE TOP 20 WORST ALBUMS OF 2015!

The Top 20 are in Alphabetical Order.

1.) All That Remains The Order Of Things

An album I am going to be particularly associated with as being the very first noted source of information about the album in question (Blabbermouth/Wikipedia/etc). While there are a couple good songs on here. A lot of it was written as if the label told them to write some radio friendly songs again (which is exactly what sadly happened). The song Tru Kvlt Metal is a slap in the face to any Metal fan who liked ATR's older material and doesn't like their new stuff. a real "LIKE US OR FUCK YOU" mentality I just can't get behind Not everyone who doesn't like Radio Rock is a Tr00 and Kvlt. Granted, this album is miles ahead of their last release and closer to how most older fans can appreciate them. This album is little bit in the right direction, but still very disappointing.

2.) Apocalyptica- Shadowmaker

The band best known for their 4 piece cello assault on Metallica and Sepultura covers is now making Three Days Grace style Pop Rock/Hard Rock. If you didn't see the name before hand, if you heard the title track, for instance, on the radio, you'd never guess it's Apocalyptica. And no, that's not a good thing. The only difference between this and the average hard song you hear on typical top 40 radio is replace guitar and bass guitar with Cello. As a long time fan, I did see this happening 2 albums ago, but dreaded the idea of it coming to fruition.

3.) Audiotopsy- Natural Causes

Remember when everyone got so excited to hear that half of Mudvayne was getting together with Vinnie Paul to make a band? Sounded awesome didn't it? Until you heard it! Same with Audiotopsy. You take two members of Mudvayne with the singer of Skrape and and you get a very disappointing album. The only thing that stands out is hearing Matthew McDonough back on drums with his style, but the rest sounds like a rip between Sevendust, Coal Chamber and Snot. If you're into aggro Nu Metal, You'll dig it, to the rest of the world, not so much.

4.) Bill Ward- Accountable Beasts

Whoever told Bill Ward he can sing is insane! And whoever sings with him on the album is equally bad. Musically the music isn't bad in and of itself. Although, the production basement quality. The vocals from both Bill Ward and Keith Lynch makes this a very hard listen. I can appreciate that it sounds occult and evil, but from a founding Black Sabbath member, it's hard not do be disappointed by this.

5.) Bring Me The Horizon- That's The Spirit

I actually don't mind early day BMTH. It's mid 2000s Metalcore, but it was  listenable. New BMTH. Basically taking the idea of "Hey, if we follow the trends of making everything sound electronic, we'll get big! And it worked! I can't find anything redeeming about the album and it sounds way too forced to be hip and trendy to be enjoyable by even hardcore fans of the band in say 5-10 years...that is of course they changed to the next hip style at the time that is. I don't liked forced/pandering albums. Never have, never will. That's exactly what this is.

6.) Bullet For My Valentine- Venom

The last statement of the Bring Me Horizon post is EXACTLY what the new BFMV is. A Pandering Metal album. I distinctly remember reading years ago when Scream, Aim Fire, came out that they didn't want to make that album because they didn't like being that heavy all the time. Their next couple albums were on the softer side while keeping it a little heavy. Once they realized they weren't making as much money as they did when they were "metal" they made this album and it could not sound any more forced. It's still quite poppy at points like the trendy Mallcore scene is known for. But with the listens I've given this album, it's hard to believe they had their whole heart behind this album and just wanted to play bigger venues again and on the next album wanting to go back to the softer side again. It's possible that they really did want to make a heavy album again, if nothing else, to purge it out of their system. But that just leads me again to believe that it's not an album they truly wanted to make. And if all of that is false and this is the best they could do from the heart. That is even more disappointing.

7.) Chaos Magic- Chaos Magic

Timo Tolkki ripping off Amaranthe....no thanks...

8.) Chelsea Wolfe- Abyss

I know this album is making the rounds in the Best Of lists, but I can't stand it. I appreciate what she is trying to do. She is adding different styles together, all by herself, to create new, different music. But it is nowhere near for me. There are better bands that try to incorporate some of the styles she tries to do (Doom, Industrial, Metal, Drone, etc) and maybe in time she will make music I can handle. But Abyss is not that album.

9.) Chris Caffery- Your Heaven Is Real

As a big Chris Caffery fan, this one hurts a bit. Just one listen to the song Arm And A Leg is reason enough for this album to be on the list. While there are some great songs on here, the overall experience is way too much to bare. If this was an EP, it would have been WAY better, but it's not. So...

10.) Dodheimsgard- A Umbra Omega

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm hearing. This is pretty much the definition of Avant Garde Metal. Those of us who don't appreciate all music styles will never understand. The music is in no way shape or form bad. But the vocals, most specifically the cleans, are unbearable. Imagine listening to the Metal version of the one man play The Dude's landlord puts on in The Big Lebowski and that would pretty much be a perfect description. The odd thing is, early day Dodheimsgard is actually quite awesome! This on the other hand, nope, can't do it.

11.) George Kollias- Invictus

The idea of doing a solo album is that you get to do something different that you don't get to play in your main band or other side bands. So you'd imagine that this would be something completely different from Nile, right? Maybe a Prog Rock album or Latin Jazz, hey, maybe even a Skrillex type album. But this album is essentially Nile without the Egyptian scales. I get that Kollias does pretty much everything except the guest spots on the album, this is nothing you can't hear on ANY Nile album. IF that's your bag, by all means check it out, but to others, it's really hard not to be disappointed by the lack of the Drummer Of Nile putting out a solo album of Nile inspired songs.

12.) Hotel Books- Run Wild, Young Beauty

Quite possible the worst thing my ears have ever been forced to hear. ANd I did hear this whole album! The music is essentially Post Rock, which I love me some Post Rock, but the vocals.....Spoken Word Emo Poetry! Imagine that kid still working at Hot Topic, hating the fact that they now support Taylor Swift and Katy Perry, his girlfriend cheated on him several times but stays with her, his parents didn't buy him an Escalade for his 17th birthday 10 years ago and he is still pissed off about it. He's too edgy and deep for society to understand. He just discovered Explosions In The Sky and he uses the music as a background for his commentary on his Post Hardcore life at a spoken word club on a Tuesday night and there is 3 people in the bar, 2 of them bartenders and the other is his mom waiting to pick him up. He looks into the crowd, presses play on his iPhone 6S and approaches the mic and begins...

...That is this album.

13.) MuteMath- Vitals

This band with their first EP and Album were absolutely amazing, but since the second album, they have been going deeper and deeper in the Electronica/Hipster territory that is really hard to appreciate. What happened to the MuteMath that I used to know (Haha Gyote reference in an anti hipster sentiment, but I digress. If you dig the Trendy Electronica Pop of 2015, you'll love this. Me? Not so much.

14.) Parkway Drive- Ire

Much like my thoughts on Bring Me The Horizon and Bullet For My Valentine. This is the result of what happens when a mid 2000s Metalcore band wants to appeal to 2015 kids. Make a pandering album that will appeal to them. While th vocals are still fo the style you won't hear on Top 40 Rock radio, by the time of the next album or one after, it will be. Kinda sad, I still really dig the first album a lot.

15.) Plaguewielder- Chambers Of Death

One man Black Metal that would be really good if it had better production and way better vocals. I can appreciate the creepy atmosphere it brings, but overall, if you can make through more than one song, you are a miracle worker.

16.) Psychonaut 4- Dipsomania

Anyone remember Amesoeurs? The French band started by Neige from Alcest, female fronted, mix of Post Rock and Black Metal. GReat Stuff, Right? Imagine that band but with the absolute worst screams ever recorded. The normal screams on the album are bad enough, then when you hear the ultra high pitch vocals, it could potentially stop making you a Black Metal fan altogether. At that point, shut off the song and turn on Emperor or 1349 and get back into a good sense of how things should go.

17.) Scott Weiland And The Wildabouts- Blaster

For the love of all things holy, stop making horrible music, get clean and make good music. You are capable of it. You were in Velvet Revolver and fucked it up. You contributed to Art Of Anarchy, which is the best thing you've ever done, and you deny doing anything more than sing on it. Yet this is what you take pride in? Come on Scott!

18.) Shinedown- Threat to Survival

Boy, does the album title fit so very very well. Much like In Flames with Reroute To Remain. Change your sound if you want to survive and stya popular. Shinedown was a band I could always respect, even the album, which I didn't like, I could respect because it was still a Hard Rock album of their style. THIS HOWEVER....remember when Timbaland produced that one Chris Cornell album? Imagine the southern version of that! This probably wins the most disappointing album award of 2015.

19.) The Sword- High Country

Actually scratch that, THIS wins the most disappointing album of 2015. The fuck happened? I love The Sword, so much so, my favorite album is the one that, before this one, was the most crapped on album, Warp Riders. High Country does away with any Black Sabbath vibe, and Prog vibes. It is essentially The Sword just discovering Thin Lizzy, copying their sound but changing the lyrics to make them about smoking pot. Maybe this works in a live setting, which I would have to see the band live (which I still want to) for that to be tested, but on album, this is how I imagine Hardcore Metallica fans felt in 1991 when they picked up the Black Album. Maybe in time they started to like it, but that initial hit may takes years to get over, if ever.

20.) Weedeater- Goliathan

Weedeater was actually pretty awesome up till this point. But now they started really focusing on the Drone aspect of their sound, which makes me lose all interest. Much like you'd imagine by the name of the band. If you enjoy weed, this is some good backing music for you. Drone, Sludge, and some Southern style Black Metal vocals used sparingly. Overall, if you stay sober, this is some of the most boring music you'll find in quite some time.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2015, 03:31:44 PM »
Bro, I thought the Bullet For My Valentine was a very solid album, I really like it.  I had a listen to the Chris Caffery and thought it was pretty shitty too, like his last one.

The rest I either haven't heard or don't know.  Didn't know Bill Ward put out something.  Didn't bother with the Tolkki one either.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2015, 03:40:30 PM »
Liked about 2 songs from the BMTH album, same for Shinedown. BFMV I haven't even tried to check out after hearing "Riot".
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2015, 04:54:21 PM »
BFMV I haven't even tried to check out after hearing "Riot".

This new album is a MASSIVE step up from the piece of shit that was Temper Temper.  Doesn't even compare to be honest.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2015, 05:11:32 PM »
Oh yea my bad, must've mixed them up since Scream Aim Fire was the last one I actively followed and got notice of a few Fever tracks but Riot was the Temper Temper track it was probably Venom I've heard good things about from a friend, will give this band another chance :tup
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2015, 05:13:58 PM »
If you've enjoyed some of their stuff in the past, this one is definitely worth a listen at least.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2015, 05:38:51 PM »
Sounding very solid for a first listen so far, definitely heard Army of Noise before tough. I doubt this is ever going to be up there with The Poison or something but it's alright!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2015, 04:49:00 AM »
Cool dude.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2015, 08:58:34 AM »
Scott Weiland read your review and lost the will to live.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2015, 03:23:22 PM »

This really wasn't called for.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2015, 04:27:52 PM »

This really wasn't called for.

Agreed.

Hadn't heard any of those albums, so I guess I didn't miss much.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion