Author Topic: Goddammit, Surrounded is such a good song.  (Read 3903 times)

Offline npiazza91

Re: Goddammit, Surrounded is such a good song.
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2015, 11:57:07 PM »
I love this song, it's one of my favorites by DT, most likely top 10, maybe not definitely, but most likely.

I always misinterpret the lyrics to this song.  In general, I am terrible at understanding lyrics.  I'll take a shot at it (and embarrass myself).  This is literally how I hear it.

"Morning comes to early, and night time falls too late.  Sometimes all I want to do it wait.  The shadow I've been hiding in has fled from me today.  I know it's easier to walk away than look it in the eye.  But I know raise the shelter to the sky.  And here beneath the stars I now lie.  She will slowly hear the light, as I awaken from the longest day.

Dreams are shakin', sex I is waking up tie...dyes.  With the light, the memories all rush in to his head.  By a candle stabs the mirror on his heart and soul she dances, she was dancing through the night above his bed.  And walk in to the window, he closed her shutters out against the wall.  And from an ivory tower hears her call.  Let light surround you.

It's been a long long time, he's had a lot of thinking over.  In the end he only sees the change, light to dark, dark to light, light to dark, dark to light.  Heaven must be more than this, the angel's waking with a kiss, sacred hearts will dull the pain but mine will never be the same.  He stands upon the window, he shutter slowly fading from the wall.  And from an ivory tower hears her call, let the light surround you.

One trust but I was found.  Well I'm heaven stand the shutter all around me.  I sent the shutters crumbling down the hill.  But I will have this
what I have drop me skill.  The blood spots stops to clear my mind, and what's deceive my blood lust I'm blind.

I know it's easier to walk away and look it in the eye.  And I have given all that I could take.  And now I've only heaven's left to break.  Tonight I'll still be lying here surrounded...in all the light".

I have a feeling this is wrong.  But seriously, listen to this song while reading this...it's perfect.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 10:22:25 PM by npiazza91 »

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2015, 04:38:39 AM »
Wait did you attempt to understand the meaning of the lyrics or did you just write down what you thought the lyrics are?  :rollin
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2015, 10:14:51 PM »
Wait did you attempt to understand the meaning of the lyrics or did you just write down what you thought the lyrics are?  :rollin

Yeah I just wrote down what I hear.  I don't like to look up lyrics most of the time because it makes it less personal.  But...yeah, that's what I hear every time, word by word.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2015, 10:16:12 PM »
Deleted double post
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 10:23:10 PM by npiazza91 »

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2015, 10:19:20 PM »
Deleted triple post...wow...first time for everything.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2015, 10:21:07 PM »
Probably my least favorite song off IaW, which is like ranking orgasms.

:lol I've always said it's more like ranking Playboy models. Probably one of my lesser favourites from the album too, although the album is so damn consistent that it's more like ranking them 1A, 1B etc. Surrounded wouldn't be top 20 for me, but it's an excellent song with a good vibe to it, and really catchy melodies.
*appreciates*
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2015, 03:44:31 AM »
I don't like to look up lyrics most of the time because it makes it less personal. 
I don't understand that at all.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Siddhartha

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2015, 11:26:14 AM »
They played it so beautifully during the Chaos in Motion Tour in Madrid that my girlfriend fainted.  :lol

I had to take her to the first aid post and we missed Beyond this life.  :facepalm:

Offline Enalya

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2015, 03:05:10 AM »
They played it so beautifully during the Chaos in Motion Tour in Madrid that my girlfriend fainted.  :lol

I had to take her to the first aid post and we missed Beyond this life.  :facepalm:

Wha- how?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2015, 04:42:46 AM »
"Morning comes to early, and night time falls too late.  Sometimes all I want to do it wait.  The shadow I've been hiding in has fled from me today.  I know it's easier to walk away than look it in the eye.  But I know ways to shelter to the sky.  And here beneath the stars tonight I lie.  She will slowly yield the light, as I awaken from the longest night.

Dreams are shakin', set sirens waking up tired eyes.  With the light, the memories all rush in to his head.  By a candle stands the mirror on his heart and soul she dances, she was dancing through the night above his bed.  And up in to the window, he closed her shutters out against the wall.  And from an ivory tower hears her call.  Let light surround you.

It's been a long long time, he's had a while to think it over.  In the end he only sees the change, light to dark, dark to light, light to dark, dark to light.  Heaven must be more than this, when angel's waking with a kiss, sacred hearts will take the pain but mine will never be the same.  He stands upon the window, he shadow slowly fading from the wall.  And from an ivory tower hears her call, let the light surround you.

One lost but I was found.  when I heard the stained glass shatter all around me.  I sent the spirits crumbling down the hill.  But I will have this what I have above me still.  She whispers words to clear my mind, I once could see but now at last I'm blind.

I know it's easier to walk away and look it in the eye.  And I have given all that I could take.  And now I've only habits left to break.  Tonight I'll still be lying here surrounded...in all the light".

I have a feeling this is wrong.  But seriously, listen to this song while reading this...it's perfect.

Yeah, no.

& on a sidenote

Surrounded is actually my favorite song from Images and Words along with Pull Me Under, Another Day, Take the Time, Metropolis, Under a Glass Moon, Wait for Sleep and Learning to Live.

Can I use this as my signature?  :D
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2015, 05:26:13 PM »

& on a sidenote

Surrounded is actually my favorite song from Images and Words along with Pull Me Under, Another Day, Take the Time, Metropolis, Under a Glass Moon, Wait for Sleep and Learning to Live.

Can I use this as my signature?  :D

I had a while to think it over and I don't see why you couldn't! So go ahead. May my words live forever in your signature  :biggrin:

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2015, 06:33:02 PM »
I listened to that extended version once. It was good, though a little long. The Mother guitar part was OK, but I didn't know what the hell sugar mice were. So I googled it, then YouTubed it. That lasted for about 30 seconds, which is about 27 seconds more than I can usually tolerate Marillion.

Probably my least favorite song off IaW, which is like ranking orgasms. Great song, worthy of praise and inclusion in setlists, with no added parts from other songs, thank you kindly.

Actually, I considered the last two sentences of this post as my signature.  I almost spit out my coffee when I read this.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2015, 02:00:17 PM »
"Morning comes to early, and night time falls too late.  Sometimes all I want to do it wait.  The shadow I've been hiding in has fled from me today.  I know it's easier to walk away than look it in the eye.  But I know ways to shelter to the sky.  And here beneath the stars tonight I lie.  She will slowly yield the light, as I awaken from the longest night.

Dreams are shakin', set sirens waking up tired eyes.  With the light, the memories all rush in to his head.  By a candle stands the mirror on his heart and soul she dances, she was dancing through the night above his bed.  And up in to the window, he closed her shutters out against the wall.  And from an ivory tower hears her call.  Let light surround you.

It's been a long long time, he's had a while to think it over.  In the end he only sees the change, light to dark, dark to light, light to dark, dark to light.  Heaven must be more than this, when angel's waking with a kiss, sacred hearts will take the pain but mine will never be the same.  He stands upon the window, he shadow slowly fading from the wall.  And from an ivory tower hears her call, let the light surround you.

One lost but I was found.  when I heard the stained glass shatter all around me.  I sent the spirits crumbling down the hill.  But I will have this what I have above me still.  She whispers words to clear my mind, I once could see but now at last I'm blind.

I know it's easier to walk away and look it in the eye.  And I have given all that I could take.  And now I've only habits left to break.  Tonight I'll still be lying here surrounded...in all the light".

Yeah, no.

I wasn't trying to be funny.  If you have nothing worth saying then don't comment, too easy.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2015, 02:15:03 PM »
I don't think you noticed he corrected the lyrics you wrote down after comparing to the actual lyrics.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.