Author Topic: Narcos  (Read 3075 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Narcos
« on: September 28, 2015, 03:10:53 PM »
So I stumbled upon this show today on Netflix and I was pleasently surprised by the high production quality. Really great storytelling and interesting characters.

Anyone following?

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: Narcos
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 03:21:46 PM »
I just started it the other day and was surprised as well. I'm really liking it. I'm on episode 4 and the storytelling, production and acting are all fantastic. A lot of great action mixed with some great drama. Good stuff! We'll see if it keeps up.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 04:53:25 PM »
Finished it the weekend it came out and I loved it. Netflix is proving it can play with channels like HBO and Showtime.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 05:07:18 PM »
Finished it the weekend it came out and I loved it. Netflix is proving it can play with channels like HBO and Showtime.

This.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 04:43:03 AM »
Still on my list, haven't gotten around to it yet.  But I have high expectations.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tiko

• Keyboardist for The Storyline
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 07:22:04 AM »
It's great. Love the cinematography and storytelling.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 10:45:50 AM »
Cool to see I wasn't the only one enjoying it.  :tup

Only seen the first ep. yet but i'm locking forward to the rest.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 12:58:13 PM »
Bout four episodes in, quality show for sure.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 06:15:07 AM »
I watched it almost in one go (probably 12 hours for the 10 episodes or so), after seeing MP tweeting about it. I'd say it's very good, I've read some criticism about it being from a CIA agent's perspective but I think that's one of its stronger features: the narrator gives you a lot of insight of what's going on, it allows the episodes to breathe a little bit from the action, and often adds some humor.

Another strength of the show is that, according to my research, it presents many historic events accurately, and just knowing that such fantastic stuff actually happened blows my mind. Including actual footage is also a great idea. And when it takes licenses to deviate from the actual events for the sake of story-telling it usually works very well, like in the "Cucaracha" story in the first episode. However, there are certain events that are much more fantastic than the way they were presented in the show so I think they should have stuck to reality in those cases (SPOILER: for example the way they caught "El Mexicano" or the whole M-19 and Muerte a Secuestradores subplot).

Now, I don't agree with the acting being that good for the supporting characters, and some of them are borderline awful (The former president's wife, for example, is truly bad). Maybe it has something to do with me watching the show in the original Spanish language. As for the main characters, I struggle to find one single character I like, meaning "I'd side with in any situation because of how cool he is". They're awkward in many ways.  Plus, the bad guys are just too evil and for some reason the good guys are portrayed as too soft and/or dumb.

So, in conclusion, this:
It's great. Love the cinematography and storytelling.
+ kinda dislike the acting

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 10:51:35 AM »
I've read some criticism about it being from a CIA agent's perspective but I think that's one of its stronger features: the narrator gives you a lot of insight of what's going on, it allows the episodes to breathe a little bit from the action, and often adds some humor.

I absolutely LOVE this about the show. The very first thing that came to mind the second I started watching this was a really powerful moment in Breaking Bad when Walter and Walter Jr. are sitting in the waiting room of a hospital waiting for someone to get out (for the two people on Earth who haven't seen it), and Jr. says to Walt " 'So-and-So' told me to read this book...it's about the people who caught Pablo Escobar. He said that everyone knows who Pablo Escobar is and what he did, but not many people know about the people and the agents that caught him". I always loved that scene and this show really expands and compounds that thought.

I'm really loving it. Just finished episode 4 and starting five riiiiiiiight *click* MEOW.

RIP DTP.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 12:11:45 PM »
That Javier seemed so familiar but I couldn't put my finger on why, then it dawned on me....  :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 02:11:03 AM »
I did the same thing for the longest time and don't even watch the show.  :laugh: I won't say the show for those who are scratching their heads still. It's much more gratifying to keep thinking on it and then...."AWWW SHIIIET!". Poor fucker.

Anyway, just finished it! Awesome stuff, I really enjoyed it. I'm really looking forward to season 2. Great action, even better storytelling and some scenes had me on the edge of my seat in terms of the suspense, not necessarily high octane action, but there's doses of that as well; it's really well balanced.

RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 07:38:00 AM »
Finished it yesterday. Really good show. I can't really say much about the acting because it's so much spanish, I wouldn't know if they sucked. So for me it was all great.

Pablo himself is such an interesting character too. Not likable, the guy is an absolute monster, but interesting.

The narration bothered me somewhat in the first episode, but after that I got used to it.

Offline MajorBoobage

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 03:03:22 AM »
Watched it about a month ago, definitely in my top 5 series all time. Up there with Sons of Anarchy, Mad Men, Band Of Brothers and True Detective(1.season).

This show has it all, great acting, great story and atmosphere. Big plus is that they speak Spanish, it all seemed much more believable.

Can˙t wait for new season
It seems that they're entering an area of extreme hazard. A zone of some sort. A dangerous one.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 09:22:35 AM »
https://www.slashfilm.com/narcos-season-2-first-look/

All 10 episodes of Narcos season 2 will premiere Friday, September 2 at 12:01 AM Pacific (that’s 3:01 AM Eastern) on Netflix.
:tup

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 10:47:58 AM »
 :metal

RIP DTP.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2016, 04:10:37 PM »
Watched the S02 premier and it's good have the show back, also it's awesome that the whole season is up. Some serious binge:ing is about to commence.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 08:56:07 PM »
Just finished and it was just as awesome as I would have hoped. I really, really hope there isn't another season, though.

EDIT: I just read there will be a season 3 and 4. FUCKING WHY?!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 09:03:13 PM by orcus116 »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 01:10:56 PM »
Just saw the last episode. Good season and overall equal in quality as the first season. Seeing how they wrapped up the last episode it was pretty clear another season was in the making. I agree though, it won't be the same without Pablo. No other characters in the show has been as interesting as him.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2016, 05:42:37 AM »
Usually I think people go overboard with the "they totally left things open for another season" when a season/show wraps up perfectly fine but yeah they definitely left the door open. I have no idea why, though, because as you said none of the other characters are nearly as interesting as Pablo and this is probably nothing more than ruining a really good thing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2016, 02:16:06 AM »
Finished the season just now. Just as awesome as I hoped.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2016, 06:23:28 PM »
Watched both seasons in a week. Really great show. I can't imagine the next seasons to be that great though. Pablo was easily the best character.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2017, 05:15:47 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ory6b2EJ3Bk&feature=youtu.be

Haven't seen the trailer myself yet but even though i'm worried the show won't be as interesting without Pablo i'm still gonna watch the show.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2017, 04:13:25 AM »
So, season 3 is out and I just finished the premiere. It definetely feels different without Pablo and Steve, but it was still good. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2017, 04:16:34 AM »
Just saw ep. 4 and 5 where things are starting to move. Been a bit of a slow start but still high quality although the lack of a character like Pablo is noticable. I'm still enjoying the show which is nice.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2017, 03:15:23 PM »
I didn't want to watch this season but ended up diving into it because Pedro Pascal is just a fun actor to watch. They did a decent job at setting up the Cali cartel but, yeah, the lack of a Pablo level nemesis doesn't really do the show any good. I can't see it getting much further before just going through the motions in future episodes. The creators had a great thing going for them when concentrating on such a prominent personality like Pablo Escobar but introducing standard fare drug gangs severely lessens the excitement of watching the show.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2017, 01:35:24 PM »
Just finished season 3, and honestly, I thought it was great. Sure, Escobar and Steve's absence is noticable, but there are plenty great characters in here that carries the show just fine. There's some tense stuff in here too.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2018, 06:25:25 AM »
So Narcos: Mexico, haven't started watching yet but it's nice they start over with new characters and everything. Will watch as soon as I can but i'm pretty excited for this.