Author Topic: Coldplay “A Head Full of Dreams”  (Read 6993 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: Coldplay “A Head Full of Dreams”
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2015, 02:45:14 AM »
The new song is pretty crazy, I'm liking it.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2015, 10:21:35 PM »
Anybody having "Everything's Not Lost"/"Swallowed in the Sea" vibes when listening to "Everglow"?

Definitely a weaker song than "Adventure" though.

Offline 425

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2015, 10:55:53 PM »
I don't usually listen to singles beyond the first one, and I think this will be no exception. Especially with the release just a week away.

I do like hearing about Swallowed in the Sea vibes, though...
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2015, 11:17:28 PM »
So what's the consensus on this?

I've heard about thirty seconds of Adventure, and immediately thought it sounded great. I've bought almost no music for about six months now, but this'll most likely be the next album I buy.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2015, 03:04:38 AM »
I've only listened to it three times but my impressions range from slightly disappointed to "cool, pretty groovy". Overall it's an interesting turn and at least they tried something different. I mean there's some straight-up hip/hop influence and a few tracks that have an abundance of a guest singer, a woman who I quite like but it's odd to hear in a Coldplay song. But throughout the entire album with the exception of one piano-oriented piece, it's just complete and total pop all around, ten fold. I'm not saying that as either a good or bad thing, some of my favorite songs these days are very pop oriented. But even in comparison to Coldplay's previous pop-oriented songs, this one is on a different level with the infused hip/hop sound. Very different for the group.

I'm still letting it sink in but it's uh...it's nothing like they've done before. I'm definitely opening up to it more and I really like some of the hooks that the album has; but beyond those hooks and a few beats, I haven't really latched onto much of anything and it's kind of forgettable thus far. But with me it takes a multitude of listens for any album at all, even from my favorites for an album to sink in.

That said, I have a feeling this one is going to be on the lower end of the spectrum.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2015, 04:03:52 AM »
I ended up being very disappointed by this album. Adventure of a lifetime is still fantastic, and the title track is a lot of fun as well, but the rest of the album is painfully boring. It is way too sugary for me, and not in a good way, it's your typical-MTV-hit type of watered-down music. It's slightly similar to Mylo Xyloto regarding its commercial aspect, but Mylo was still edgy. And after a truly uncompromising, dark album that was Ghost stories, this feels like jumping on a bandwagon with whatever is the sound of today.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2015, 11:21:03 AM »
I couldn't agree more on the 'sugary' descriptive; that's a great word for it. I don't think it's so commercial as in "they made this music to be this way", I think it just came out that way. But I get where you're coming from, it does have that appeal (or from our end, offputting); although I think it's usually painfully obvious when it's made to be that way and that there is a difference when it's made to be as such and when it simply sounds that way. I think this is the latter, but I dunno, they very well could've sat down to start recording and said "let's make a commercial album".

It matters not, it's all what you get out of the music, I really couldn't give a shit less about intentions. That said, I do think this is pretty low down on the list for me. I don't dislike the music itself while I'm listening, but for instance since posting last in the thread I've thought to listen to the album a couple more times, and I had to more or less 'tell myself' to listen to it and once it was over, I had no thought of it and no urge to listen to it again. So yeah, I suppose I'm disappointed as well because I don't think I'll be spinning this one many more times after this aside from a couple tracks. It's a shame because each song has a section or part that I really like, but it's quickly over and just as quickly forgotten. If they had more hooks and more time spent developing some depth to the album, I think I'd enjoy it much more.

I do think they wanted the antithesis to Ghost Stories, it sounds like it is a perfect yin/yang companion album to Ghost Stories in a really perfect way. That was very mellow, dark, soothing and at parts a bit melancholic. This is upbeat, poppy, "sugary" (lmao love that), and hip/hop oriented. Total polar opposite to the previous rendition, I think that is specifically what they were going for and in that regard it succeeded, it just turns out the music came out very shallow and seemingly commercial.

RIP DTP.

Offline 425

« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2015, 01:17:06 PM »
I agree with a lot of what Tio said, though I'm not quite as down on this album. I agree that it's poppy but not intentionally commercial.

Basically, it's Coldplay, so I'm pretty much guaranteed to like it. It's a possible AOTY contender but not likely at this point. There are a lot of good tracks, though. I especially like the title track, Hymn for the Weekend, Everglow, Up&Up and the hidden track, X Marks the Spot.

Overall, I like the album a fair bit, but I don't think it's as good as the last three.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2015, 02:06:55 PM »
Yep, what you posted are my favorites. I really do outright love portions of it, but man, they're over so quickly that I can't latch onto them long enough to love the thing entirely.

Eh, like I said, time is the real deciding factor for me with albums. There have been plenty of albums (hell, even overall bands) that I've not been too hot on or even outright hated that ended up being some of my all time favorites so I'll have to come back in a while back revisit it, listening to it on and off now and again.

I must say though that I was really surprised that they had a featured singer at all, let alone the prominence on some tracks, but I gotta say I liked it quite a bit when she sang. Not as much as Chris but it's something different that turned out nice and complimented the feel of the album.

RIP DTP.

Offline 425

« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2015, 02:56:35 PM »
I really just haven't quite listened enough to fully get my head around it, but right now, early on, it does seem to be the weakest of their last few.

I think there were actually several different female singers. According to Wiki, it was Beyoncé on Hymn for the Weekend and Up&Up and Tove Lo on Fun. Apparently Gwyneth Paltrow, Chris's ex, can be heard on Everglow.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2015, 03:03:41 PM »
Oh wow. That's nuts!

RIP DTP.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2016, 05:00:27 AM »
Finally got around to this.

After a few listens, this is basically Diet Mylo Xyloto.

Title track and Adventure are cool. The rest is just ok. Army of One is pretty awful.

I don't think they've done anything new on this album at all. It sounds like their plan was "after such a sad album, let's do a happy one", but they didn't have anything to say that they hadn't said far better on MX, so they just tread water for fifty minutes.

And Tio: there was a guest singer (Rihanna) on Princess of China on MX.

Offline 425

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2016, 01:04:19 PM »
Absolutely agree that this is Diet Mylo Xyloto. I really love Mylo Xyloto, so that isn't necessarily bad in itself, but there's just not enough here. This is almost certainly their weakest album for me.
And if spirit's a sign,

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2016, 07:11:53 PM »
This is almost certainly their weakest album for me.
I'm curious about which Coldplay album is the 'strongest' to all of you. I can see why A Rush Of Blood might be considered their strongest, but I think Viva La Vida is close to perfect, and a nice balance of their older, melancholic music mixed with the poppier elements of their last 3 albums.

Or, in other words: with Viva La Vida I think they perfected what they had already worked on, and after it, they got poppier and poppier. So, Viva La Vida it is.

Offline 425

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2016, 12:24:18 AM »
My favorite is Mylo Xyloto. I feel like it's a rarity in music these days to produce an entire album that takes a really positive view of life (Images and Words, my favorite album of all time, is another rare example of this), and I really appreciate that in Mylo. Nothing wrong with sadder music—Ghost Stories is my #2, after all—but I love a well-carried-out positive album and will consistently rate those very high. On MX, even the sadder songs seem to take it in stride, particularly within the context of the album. The album gives off a whole feel of "yes, bad things may happen, we will definitely have struggles in life, but ultimately, life is good and is capable of being a great thing, so when some things go up in flames, don't let it break your heart" (song title puns chosen specifically to fit the sequence of songs that I feel really expresses this theme). Then there is the beautiful upbeat pop instrumentation and the impressive combination of electronic-influenced pop rock with acoustic guitar songs. It's actually somewhat impressive that Us Against the World is a song that feels totally in the proper place fitting in between Charlie Brown and Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall in the album order. And there are just so many good songs on this album! Too many to list, but Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall, Hurts Like Heaven, Us Against the World, Charlie Brown and Don't Let It Break Your Heart are all favorites.

I agree with all of what you said about Viva, and I think that one is a really good album. Personally, I just don't think the songwriting is quite as strong as it is on Mylo—and I realize this is an unpopular opinion! Songs like 42 and Reign of Love fit into that "like a lot, but don't absolutely love" category for me (and it's hard to gauge that because I really like most of Coldplay's songs), and there are fewer songs from Viva that would go in my top 10 compared to songs from Mylo—VLV would get the two title songs and maybe Lovers In Japan while MX would get Every Teardrop, Hurts Like Heaven and at least one and probably two of Charlie Brown, Us Against the World and Don't Let It Break Your Heart. But I totally see why you would like VLV best. It's a really, really good album.

My ranking probably looks like this:

1. Mylo Xyloto
2. Ghost Stories
3. Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends (with or without Prospekt's March)
4. A Rush of Blood to the Head
5. X&Y
6. Parachutes
7. A Head Full of Dreams

I would consider the top three to be near-flawless albums. All killer, no filler. Especially the top two where I can't find any dips in quality, while I think VLV has some slight peaks and valleys.

Rush of Blood has a tremendous first five and last two songs (and I mean tremendous—the title track and Amsterdam are heart-wrenching), but the four in between range from just decent (Daylight, Green Eyes) to pretty good but not great (Warning Sign, A Whisper). Again, nothing bad here, and a lot of good, but it doesn't maintain the level of quality all the way through that the top three do.

Then there are the last three, which are by far my least played Coldplay albums (the above four are the ones I would quickly reach for, these I would be less likely to play). Parachutes, I know, is a favorite of a certain subsection of the Coldplay fanbase, and I can see why, but this type of songwriting doesn't always include what I love about Coldplay's later works. There are a lot of good songs here—Don't Panic, Spies, Yellow, High Speed, Everything's Not Lost—but some that I don't care for as much. The other two really are the two albums where I feel they didn't move that far away from prior albums stylistically. X&Y is like Rush of Blood 2 and AHFOD is like Mylo Xyloto 2 (featuring slight Viva La Vida). Both have good songs, particularly X&Y, which actually has a lot of killer tracks: Square One, Fix You, X&Y, Speed of Sound, Swallowed in the Sea, Twisted Logic. And AHFOD, while it doesn't have a Fix You, does have Everglow and Up&Up. But they also are a bit same-y, which would be fine if they were on par with their counterparts, but they aren't. From X&Y, only Fix You and Swallowed in the Sea are on the Scientist-Clocks-Rush-Amsterdam tier, and from AHFOD, only Everglow and Up&Up approach the mid-tier MX songs like Major Minus and Princess of China.

So, yeah, there's my dissertation on Coldplay, which I did not mean to be this long, so sorry about that! But I totally understand what you're saying about Viva, even though Mylo is my favorite.

Edit to add a part about Ghost Stories, since it's my second favorite but the only one I didn't talk about: I love Ghost Stories not only because of its emotional weight, but because it sets out to create a beautiful, intimate atmosphere and totally succeeds at doing that. It tries to be music that is very intimate and heard around a campfire, Chris said, but it's a little more than that, because of the electronic elements. But the whole thing creates a feeling of desperation. Desperate love, desperate emotion. And that's really powerful. You hear it right off the bat in the opener, Always in My Head, which begins with the words "I think of you, I haven't slept." That's Ghost Stories in a nutshell. "I think of you, I haven't slept." Go. Make an album about that. And they do and it is spectacular. The album finds a theme and sticks tightly to it, maintaining the emotional vibe throughout while playing on different aspects, different tones. A Sky Full of Stars is the only stylistic deviation, and it's a burst of emotion and after the quiet desperation of the album up to that point. But it's still a desperate song, and it still fits the album. It's just that instead of staring at the night sky in silent desperation, A Sky Full of Stars screams out to the sky and to the world "I don't care, go on and tear me apart." And then it's followed by O, which returns to a similar vibe as the rest of the album and talks about letting go.

Really, it's a concept album. Always In My Head is the introduction, it's where the process of contemplation begins. Magic and Ink talk about the beginning of a relationship and the growing devotion that comes there. In True Love we see that powerful devotion which up until now only had desperation lurking just under the surface ("Want to fall, fall so hard" and "All I know is that I love you so much that it hurts") come out fully. "Tell me you love me, and if you don't, then lie to me"—the voice of someone desperately in love. And we know what happens. She can't tell him she loves him, and she can't lie to him. Midnight is the best song, it is so beautiful, and it is the absolute pit of the album. If you've ever been up late at night and gone outside and looked at the stars, and felt the desperation of the midnight hour, you get this song. Chris gets it and I so completely connect with the emotion that he created in this song that it totally floors me. "When I'm rolling with the thunder—but bleed from thorns, leave a light, a light on." Another's Arms and Oceans cover the pain of the aftermath of the breakup. Oceans is gorgeous and I love it almost as much as I love Midnight. The video of it where Chris performs it on a pier in the Ghost Stories Live 2014 DVD is astounding. Then the aforementioned Sky Full of Stars and O swing comes in, and we find that only by accepting the good and learning to let go can the protagonist recover, emotionally. "I don't care, go on and tear me apart" is desperate, but willing to let go. And then he says "fly on."

I did not intend for this to be as long as it is, but I really love this album. It's a really close second to Mylo, so much that the two could be considered to basically be my co-favorite Coldplay albums.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 12:43:50 AM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2016, 08:10:42 AM »
A Rush of Blood is definitely my favourite. Nothing even comes close. I don't like Clocks anymore, but everything else is great. I can see how someone might not be quite as fond of that middle stretch of the album, it does dip a wee bit there, but I love all of those songs.

The last point at which I even kept track of where the other albums sat was before Ghost Stories was released. I've barely listened to Coldplay since then other than Ghost Stories.

Providing nothing has changed, I'd rank them

Rush of Blood
Mylo Xyloto
Viva La Vida
Parachutes
Ghost Stories
X&Y
Head Full

425, I actually agree on VLV. The tone and production and feel of the album are great, but the songs are on average not as strong as those on AROB and MX.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2016, 10:35:18 AM »
Parachutes
A Rush of blood to the head
X&Y
Ghost stories
Mylo Xyloto
Viva la vida or death and all his friends
A Head full of dreams

Coldplay is one of those bands where the list keeps changing every now and then. The last time I ranked the albums, I was surprised Parachutes ended up at number one. But it really is good, and so are the following three. Mylo is solid, Viva la vida is okay, Head is not that good.

Offline 425

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2016, 07:45:12 PM »
A Rush of Blood is definitely my favourite. Nothing even comes close. I don't like Clocks anymore, but everything else is great. I can see how someone might not be quite as fond of that middle stretch of the album, it does dip a wee bit there, but I love all of those songs.

To be quite honest, I can't come close to saying those are bad songs. I think it's just that they stack the front of the album with five absolutely fantastic songs (I'm a Clocks fan), and then there's Daylight and Green Eyes, which aren't bad songs at all, they're just not, but they just don't stand a chance with what comes before them. So the momentum is lost a little bit. They start to build it back up again with Warning Sign and A Whisper, which are good songs that come in #8 and #9 on this album just because it's this album, and then the title track hits and the album reaches heights that it didn't even get to in the first half.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2016, 12:46:41 PM »
So I'm going to see them soon in my city, really hyped since Live 2012 is a damn good concert.

I think AHFOD has quite grown on me. Definitely not among their best albums , but there are great songs here and there. Adventure, Title track and Fun are really good. Noel Gallagher's solo in Up&Up really saves the song as well,but You do have to be in a certain mood to like other songs like Amazing Day or Birds, though.

The ranking for me would go
Viva la Vida
Ghost Stories
Parachutes
Mylo Xyloto
Rush of Blood
A Head Full of Dreams
X&Y
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 01:01:33 PM by LCArenas »

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2017, 05:40:05 PM »
SO
Kaleidoscope EP
The Prospekt's March to A Head Full of Dreams.

Gotta say I wasn't very aware of these Chainsmokers guys when they announced their collab with Coldplay so I checked out their latest hits to know them better. "Roses" is an okay song, and I can tolerate "Closer", but I didn't like "Don't Let me Down" and "Paris" much (Specially the latter, the guy can't sing) and I just flat out despise that fucking Selfie song. "Something Just Like This" was... Okay too, I guess. Follows the same pattern as Roses or Closer and it's a bit better than them but I can't really say I'll listen to it a lot from now on.

"Hypnotised" on the other hand was a song that I really liked. It sounds like True Love, which is a song I absolutely fucking adore. I don't have my hopes too up for this EP since I guess it'll follow AHFOD style, but I'm pretty sure there'll be songs that I like in it.

Offline 425

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2017, 01:15:57 PM »
I definitely liked Hypnotised. It kind of got overshadowed for me a bit because it came out on the same day as Lorde's new song, but it was definitely a good song. I agree that there's a True Love vibe on it as well, though it's a bit like a happier True Love. Definitely will be getting this EP right when it comes it, though I also don't have massive expectations given that AHFOD was middling.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2017, 06:57:13 PM »
I love Parachutes, Viva la vida and Ghost stories. The others I haven't been able to get into that much

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2017, 09:09:41 PM »
Parachutes is probably my favorite album of theirs. Not really a fan of Viva la vida onwards