Author Topic: Modern Prog & Prog-Metal discussion thread  (Read 30016 times)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Modern Prog & Prog-Metal discussion thread
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2016, 12:47:25 PM »
I have that Communication Lost album and have spun it several times.  Like you said nothing is really in your face, but I enjoy it.  It's quite a moody album.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2016, 10:16:52 PM »
Tesseract - One
I know they have their own thread here but this belongs within the prog metal discussion as well.

Time Grid - Life
They have potential. I think the vocal melodies need some work. The phrasing is just...awful, but the music is good, though during some parts, they're trying too hard to be prog. It's also hard to get past the vocals at some points. Why am I listing a CD and not giving you a reason to listen to it?  Good question. Maybe you'll like it better than me.  :lol

Disperse - Journey Through The Hidden Gardens
Much better than Time Grid. The music is much better in my opinion and so are the vocals.  I'm reminded of Altura and old Enchant.

Joseph Magazine - Night of the Red Sky
This is awesome. It is mostly instrumental but everything is done so well that I highly recommend it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 05:37:25 AM by Prog Snob »

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2016, 09:48:56 PM »

I really am enjoying both of these albums. Both are American prog metal bands; The Contortionist from Indiana, and Johari from Kentucky.

I prefer Language over Johari's Pale Blue, but still definitely worth giving both a shot. Both bands incorporate screaming, but it's relatively minimal and both band's vocal melodies make them worth listening to even if you don't care for harsh vocals imo.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2016, 08:39:09 AM »
Yeah... this new Serenity album is just as good as the first four.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2016, 04:02:40 PM »

Since I'm a casual fan, I won't go out of my way to purchase it, but if I see it instore, I'll definitely buy it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2016, 04:07:30 PM »

Amazing album. It's necessary that more people be into these guys. Plus look at that kitty's face. How can you deny that face?

It's got Elliot from (ex) TesseracT and has instrumentals that are a bit similar but could be said that they have a bit more oomph, though still very melodic. It's the vocals that really do it for me though. Great singing and some awesome growls. Some moments remind me of Tommy Rogers from BTBAM and for me that's a really good thing.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2016, 04:19:05 PM »
Agree, that album is amazing. I'd heard some people who weren't really thrilled with Elliot when he was in Tesseract, but I'd never heard him myself. He's amazing on this album, definitely the highlight.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2016, 04:43:15 PM »
Yeah I've heard the same and still need to check out previous TesseracT albums but his vocals are perfect for this music.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2016, 05:50:52 PM »

Since I'm a casual fan, I won't go out of my way to purchase it, but if I see it instore, I'll definitely buy it.

Spotify is your friend.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2016, 06:21:17 PM »
A few thoughts on some recent comments...

I am in the pro Wolverine camp.  Not as heavy as their band name should imply, but their music can be really emotional and poignant at times.

I remember tossing around a kudos or two for Joseph Magazine when it first came out (I think I was still in Virginia at the time, so 2011/2012?)  Regardless, I recommend as well.

Language is by far The Contortionists most accessible album.  I can see people liking it, but not liking their previous albums.

And just to stir up some shit, it's very possible that The Astonishing won't even be on of the two best albums released today.  Disc 1 was a massive struggle.  I doubt Serenity or Avantasia will be.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2016, 06:33:00 PM »
And just to stir up some shit, it's very possible that The Astonishing won't even be on of the two best albums released today.  Disc 1 was a massive struggle.  I doubt Serenity or Avantasia will be.

Controversial to the DT-Side, not so much over here.  I already am pretty certain that I will enjoy Rulebreaker more than The Astonishing.  I think over the long haul, I'll come to appreciate and love TA, but it will take a lot of time to absorb and digest.  Hell, The Human Equation is my #2 album of all-time, so it's not like 160 minute double concept albums are tough for me.

But Ghostlights and Rulebreaker wow'd the fuck out of me.  I couldn't give my total attention to Codex Atanticus, but I will come back to it, as I did very much enjoy what I heard.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2016, 08:01:29 AM »
Serenity and Primal Fear have never done much for me. The music is usually catchy but the vocals make it difficult to listen to. The Avantasia is good though. I'm checking it out now before listening to The Astonishing again.  I don't like Jorn's vocals though. That raspy, scratchy vocal style really turns me off. It's what probably turns me off to a lot of the AOR style bands that still put out music. They all sound like they should be singing an anthem for a movie from the 1980s. Dee Snider sings on the the Avantasia CD...why? Otherwise, no complaints about the Avantasia. I love that Geoff Tate, Michael Kiske, and Sharon den Adel sing on it. Whoever sings that song Draconian Love was really good. He reminds me of the singer from Moonspell and Paradise Lost.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2016, 02:19:51 PM »
Just stumbled across these guys called Sunburst and they release their debut album on the 26th.  Pretty fucking good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FObmzEYpAQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgvHE5NkgtM

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2016, 04:08:57 PM »
Just stumbled across these guys called Sunburst and they release their debut album on the 26th.  Pretty fucking good.

I like Dementia more than Out of the World, but they're both pretty damn good.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2016, 04:11:15 PM »

Yeah - same guy from Black Fate and Chronicles Project .  I thought the tracks released so far were pretty good , so got an eye on it.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2016, 08:26:44 PM »
I hope the rest of the album can be a quality and consistent as there two tracks.  I find often with this kind of prog metal that the rest of the album becomes 'by the numbers' and the creativity and imagination can only really last a song or two.  The rest of the album rarely lives up to the lead tracks.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2016, 07:13:02 AM »
New Dynazty this morning.  YT link not available in Canada, so not sure what other countries may have it blocked.  It is on Spotify though - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_8y-lmm08E

There's also another song out there - Roar of the Underdog... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rN8zDUA11A

Good stuff.

New Mob Rules out today as well .... gonna check that out next.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2016, 04:08:46 PM »
I was just thinking about this thread and was going to see if anyone else had posted here. I'll check out the links you posted.

I know they are no longer together, and had a rebirth in Subsignal, but Sieges Even's The Art of Navigating by the Stars is one of the most brilliant prog metal albums ever. I just felt like bringing that up. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: March 24, 2016, 08:40:53 AM »
From Frontiers' FB yesterday:

BREAKING NEWS: Frontiers Music Srl is excited to announce the release of WITHEM's new album, entitled “The Unforgiving Road” on June 3rd.
Withem is an upcoming Progressive Metal band hailing from Norway who are inspired by the likes of Symphony X, Pagan's Mind, Dream Theater and Circus Maximus, concentrating heavily on melodic, memorable hooks, but still with plenty of stunning and virtuoso instrumental sections. The band debuted with “The Point of You” in 2013, gathering excellent reviews from several music websites, blogs and magazines from all over the world. The release was followed by European touring with Pagan’s Mind, Circus Maximus and Seventh Wonder, and performances at both ProgPower USA and ProgPower Oslo, always with an extremely positive reception.
The new album, “The Unforgiving Road” sees the band perfecting their style. WITHEM’s gripping, melody-driven songs avoid the clichés and pitfalls of overly dramatic instrumental sections and sheer senseless complexity and instead center on creative interplay between the musicians, while the unique vocal range of Ole Aleksander Wagenius gives the band a distinctive touch. Just like the debut album, “The Unforgiving Road” was produced and mixed by guitarist Øyvind Voldmo Larsen at his own Lionheart Studio, boasting powerful and bombastic production values with plenty of moments for the listener to notice the most subtle intricate parts of the songs.

"The Unforgiving Road is a the culmination of almost a year worth of composing, recording and producing. We didn't want to rush things after the first album, to avoid the usual pitfalls of "sophomore albums," says WITHEM guitar player and producer Oyvind Larsen "The challenges we encountered while writing and recording can only be matched with how rewarding it feels after everything is set and done!".

"Øyvind once again took the helm for most of the composition and the whole scope of recording, mixing and producing, and we can't wait to hear everyone's reactions after they listen to the end result," adds new bassist Miguel Pereira. "We are looking forward to start promoting The Unforgiving Road with live shows right after the album is out, and meet all our friends and fans throughout the world."

Tracklisting of “The Unforgiving Road” includes:
1. …Intro
2. Exit
3. In The Hands Of A God
4. The Pain I Collected
5. Riven
6. C'est La Vie
7. The Eye In The Sky
8. Arrhythmia
9. In My Will
10. Unaffected Love
11. Outro…

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2016, 07:36:54 PM »
I've never heard of them.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: March 24, 2016, 08:30:46 PM »

Good... keep it that way.  Surely you will from one of us in the next couple of months.   :biggrin:

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: March 24, 2016, 08:38:50 PM »

If you were watching what I sent Chad in his roulette you might have :)

Hopefully they will make up for the Circus Maximus as they have a very similar sound .  On the other hand they are good friends with CM , so hope it hasn't rubbed off  :-\
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: March 25, 2016, 05:31:57 AM »

If you were watching what I sent Chad in his roulette you might have :)

Hopefully they will make up for the Circus Maximus as they have a very similar sound .  On the other hand they are good friends with CM , so hope it hasn't rubbed off  :-\

And touring with them.

Don't spoils my interest Brent!  Ironically, I'm listening to Havoc right now - and my assessment hasn't changed.  Some decent, most mediocre, and some that are downright awful (I'm :glare: at you, Pages, Havoc, Highest Bitter).

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #128 on: March 25, 2016, 05:40:51 AM »
I'm checking out the first Withem right now. I'm not overly impressed, but it's listenable. The vocals leave much to be desired.

Offline JLa

« Reply #129 on: March 25, 2016, 03:46:26 PM »
I have listened to quite a few newer prog metal bands lately. Usually they have these things in common;

- the instrumentals are awesome
- the vocals are not so awesome

OR

- the band couldn't write a decent chorus even if their lives depended on it

Not that all prog metal needs to sound like DT, however even when the music went all over the place, DT always understood the importance of having a good chorus for the listener to get back to. New talents coming up should keep this in mind - it can't just be new time signatures and new themes all the time.

Teramaze was cool stuff.  :tup

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2016, 04:19:58 PM »
The Teramaze is really fucking good.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: March 25, 2016, 04:32:32 PM »
The Teramaze is really fucking good.

I love all of their last three albums.  Haven't found the first 2 yet (I think it was Brent telling me they had 5 in total)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #132 on: March 25, 2016, 05:23:48 PM »
I have all of them, plus the EP, in MP3 format. I wasn't able to find the older ones on Spotify.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #133 on: March 25, 2016, 05:33:06 PM »
y'all should check out Oceans of Slumber - Winter tho
like two or three tracks have growls tho only the title track featureso them prominently

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: March 25, 2016, 06:21:56 PM »
Hmmm...maybe I should take on punt on the Teramaze if I see it instore today.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: March 26, 2016, 04:20:12 AM »

One way or another, you'll surely be listening to it (and perhaps buying it) in the next couple of months.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #136 on: March 26, 2016, 04:29:46 AM »
like two or three tracks have growls tho only the title track featureso them prominently

I second this, it's a great album

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2016, 04:38:31 AM »

I second this, it's a great album
Listening to "Suffer the Last Bridge" and title-track, this is pretty awesome. Can't normally say I enjoy female vocals too much in metal but this.. it just fits.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: March 27, 2016, 03:39:35 AM »

One way or another, you'll surely be listening to it (and perhaps buying it) in the next couple of months.

I didn't see it in store so looks like you're right.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2016, 03:35:22 PM »
I'm having a listen to the new Sunburst on Spotify.  It's quite fucking excellent.