Author Topic: Modern Prog & Prog-Metal discussion thread  (Read 30288 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Modern Prog & Prog-Metal discussion thread
« Reply #210 on: November 08, 2017, 11:26:52 AM »
@ Cram... VUUR was a good enough listen, but nothing stood out enough that would compel me to go back to it.  I've seen the name Cyhra in the feed of a few of my FB peeps.  Haven't gotten around to checking it out though.  Guess I have to now.

Its the former singer of Amaranthe, Jake E, and former guitarist of In Flames.  I would say it sounds a lot like Amaranthe with some In Flames guitaring which makes sense.  Catchy poppy chorus with heavy and fun guitars.  Very melodic.  It is odd though that Jake's leaving of Amaranthe was partly due to them becoming less heavy, but I don't think this band is any heavier.  I do love his vocals though.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #211 on: November 08, 2017, 12:58:01 PM »
I'm actually listening to Endless Sporadic on youtube. Skimmed through the thread, saw them mentioned, and went "oh shit I know them!"

I'll take any other band recommendations if anyone wants to give them :metal
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: November 08, 2017, 01:38:46 PM »
[ Cyhra in the feed of a few of my FB peeps.  Haven't gotten around to checking it out though.  Guess I have to now.

Surprisingly wimpy given the personnel (and album cover).  Just solid IMHO.   One or two strong songs but I was disappointed vs what I was hearing about it.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: November 08, 2017, 02:45:50 PM »
[ Cyhra in the feed of a few of my FB peeps.  Haven't gotten around to checking it out though.  Guess I have to now.

Surprisingly wimpy given the personnel (and album cover).  Just solid IMHO.   One or two strong songs but I was disappointed vs what I was hearing about it.

I'm a massive In Flames fan, but what I heard of this was pretty shit.  Not gonna even bother.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #214 on: November 08, 2017, 03:05:05 PM »

I'm a massive In Flames fan, but what I heard of this was pretty shit.  Not gonna even bother.

After listening to it once, yesterday, I'm still more inclined to listen to it over the last two In Flames albums. I was liking some of the riffs, more than anything. It's nothing more than solid though, really.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: November 08, 2017, 03:17:03 PM »

After listening to it once, yesterday, I'm still more inclined to listen to it over the last two In Flames albums. I was liking some of the riffs, more than anything. It's nothing more than solid though, really.

I think it was just the vocals that turned me off.  I may have a listen though at some stage.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: November 08, 2017, 04:10:46 PM »
Its definitely more Amaranthe sounding than In Flames, probably why I love it so much.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: November 08, 2017, 04:21:27 PM »
Its definitely more Amaranthe sounding than In Flames, probably why I love it so much.

Yeah, I think that's where the problems are for me.  Don't like anything I've heard from them really.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #218 on: November 08, 2017, 04:23:14 PM »

Yeah, I think that's where the problems are for me.  Don't like anything I've heard from them really.

Jake E is a good enough singer.  I'm a few songs in, and it ain't bad, but ain't compelling enough to make me want to come back to it.  I'll let the whole albums spin though.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #219 on: November 08, 2017, 07:54:57 PM »
I didn't know where to post this, so here it goes - I interviewed prog legends Premiata Forneria Marconi:

https://lotsofmuzic.weebly.com/home/our-interview-with-premiata-forneria-marconi-drummer-and-vocalist-franz-di-cioccio

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: November 09, 2017, 04:45:10 PM »
Forgot to mention this about VUUR, but at times they sound a bit like Devin Townsend Project, and I don't mean Anneke, but in the guitars.  Certain parts remind me of the first Ziltoid album.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #221 on: November 10, 2017, 01:38:18 AM »
I'd posted about Adimiron's new album in the 'what album are you listening to' thread. They're an Italian prog metal band. I can't speak for their past works but their new album is a melodic kind of prog metal with a mix of clean and harsh vocals. I love a contrast of harsh and clean vocals, some bands really nail it. Opeth are the prime example as far as I'm concerned.

Adimiron are another great example. Their new album is lile 45 minutes or so, it's pretty short. All the songs are between 4-5 minutes, if I remember correctly, no long songs but it's a great listen and will likely end up in my top 10 albums of this year. If any of this sounds good then give them a go.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: November 10, 2017, 04:31:51 AM »
I'd posted about Adimiron's new album in the 'what album are you listening to' thread. They're an Italian prog metal band. I can't speak for their past works but their new album is a melodic kind of prog metal with a mix of clean and harsh vocals. I love a contrast of harsh and clean vocals, some bands really nail it. Opeth are the prime example as far as I'm concerned.

Adimiron are another great example. Their new album is lile 45 minutes or so, it's pretty short. All the songs are between 4-5 minutes, if I remember correctly, no long songs but it's a great listen and will likely end up in my top 10 albums of this year. If any of this sounds good then give them a go.

Sounds interesting indeed.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: November 10, 2017, 06:14:57 AM »
I'm still really enjoying Icefish - Human Hardware, but I guess there's already a thread for that.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #224 on: January 29, 2018, 09:15:45 AM »
Forgot to mention this about VUUR, but at times they sound a bit like Devin Townsend Project, and I don't mean Anneke, but in the guitars.  Certain parts remind me of the first Ziltoid album.

Bumping this to pay homage to this album. Took me quite a while but I finally "got" this record and I like it a lot, and I eventually purchased it.

I won't say all the songs are great, in that regard The Gentle Storm was vastly superior, but once you get the mood of the album and the idea behind it, it all kinda flows together.

I love how the lyrics manage to put the title of the album in every song, and the idea of making personifications of cities to tell about them in the lyrics is great. From interviews I gathered that the song about Berlin is after World War II, about a town trying to rise from its ashes, while Time, which is about Rotterdam, is about the uncertainty before the war - at face value I could have said from the lyrics that it was about a person suffering from anxiety and depression, but it's the city itself the protagonist, not someone living in the city, and so the lyrics are a metaphor for the big dread that would foretell the incoming disaster of the war.

Favorite songs: My Champion (great chorus), The Martyr and the Saint (Love the bridge "Reunite heaven and earth"), Freedom, Sail Away (catchiest chorus of the bunch) and Your Glorious Light will Shine.

I'm even considering about seeing this live, though the setlists don't convince me too much, I would have loved more Gentle Storm songs...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: January 29, 2018, 09:23:39 AM »
Yea, I am really loving that VUUR album.  Took awhile to finally digest it, it is a big chugging in a way that makes it not so easy to get into the individual songs at first, but once it clicks, you are sucked in.  The lyrical content is great IMO and I also love the "In this moment we are free" recurring theme.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #226 on: March 02, 2018, 05:14:15 AM »
The new album by Oceans of Slumber (The Banished Heart) dropped today:

https://open.spotify.com/album/2ZNoxhNbYKfdIk79d0K8UE?si=TIa2acNKRaKnW9iwoR0ElA

I HIGHLY recommend everyone check this out. The vocalist is just insanely good and just takes this band to a whole new level.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: March 02, 2018, 05:23:10 AM »
Was sorry that the VUUR tour did not do a stop in Sweden...

Not anymore. On the 29th of September in Malmö there will be a festival with four bands/artist. Three have been annonced so far.

Merit Hemmingsson  (Swe)
Anneke van Giersbergen  (NL)
So far not announced spot
VUUR (NL)

So we will get one set of Anneke acoustic solo and one set of her fronting VUUR... was going to go even if the acoustic show had been the only one.

Anyone living in Sweden or neighboring countries might want to plan a trip to see this.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: March 02, 2018, 07:03:58 AM »
The new album by Oceans of Slumber (The Banished Heart) dropped today:

https://open.spotify.com/album/2ZNoxhNbYKfdIk79d0K8UE?si=TIa2acNKRaKnW9iwoR0ElA

I HIGHLY recommend everyone check this out. The vocalist is just insanely good and just takes this band to a whole new level.

Nice, they were added to ProgPower USA festival since another band had to drop out.  I'll have to check this out

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: March 02, 2018, 07:34:35 AM »
I don't know if it's been convered in this thread as well...but Ostura's "The Room" is one of the greatest new albums that I've ever heard. Absolutely incredible, staggering music.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: March 02, 2018, 07:50:12 AM »
There's a whole thread dedicated to them.

Changing lanes, I've been digging this one lately just as much.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #231 on: March 02, 2018, 07:53:54 AM »

Changing lanes, I've been digging this one lately just as much.

Chad, is it streaming at all?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #232 on: March 02, 2018, 07:54:18 AM »
I just saved it on Spotify for later.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: March 02, 2018, 08:27:32 AM »
I just saved it on Spotify for later.

There's your answer Joe.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: March 02, 2018, 11:15:49 AM »

As there should be.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: March 09, 2018, 05:26:59 AM »
Title track from the upcoming Lords of Black

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTwmA8a1BYw&list=LLFZ0l_s3T2yP7lkz5AhW60w

Seems pretty safe, but highly enjoyable - of course, I'm a big Romero fanboi.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: February 22, 2022, 03:56:50 PM »
Texas prog-metal outfit Oceans Of Slumber have released a new single, titled “The Waters Rising”. The haunting track is the first new offering from the band since the release of their 2020 self-titled album. Led by the soulful power of lead vocalist Cammie Gilbert, “The Waters Rising” welcomes fans back into the world of Oceans Of Slumber, with more to come in due time. The song is accompanied by a music video, which can be seen below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycvs7QnCvno

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: February 22, 2022, 08:12:51 PM »
Must have missed this thread on its earlier passes, glad I stumbled upon it, loving what I am hearing from Ostura so far.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'