Author Topic: Sacrificed Sons is so underrated  (Read 3787 times)

Offline As I Am

• Banned
Re: Sacrificed Sons is so underrated
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2015, 11:20:29 AM »
Rank the Octavarium Album ? Fine...

1. Octavarium
2. These Walls
3. Panic Attack
4. The Answer Lies Within
5. Root Of All Evil
6. Never Enough
7. I Walk Beside You
8. Sacrificed Sons

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2015, 11:21:05 AM »
Jordan's Moog solo starting a fraction of a beat late irks me every time.

That's one of my fav DT keyboard solos!

It's nowhere near as good as the one in Octavarium.

did I say it was?! I said it was one of my favs.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2015, 11:37:21 AM »
Does nobody rate The Answer Lies Within ? I know i've ranked it quite low above but only because I love the album so much that I actually prefer the other songs..

But The Answer Lies Within & I Walk Beside You are two of my favourite Dream Theater " ballads".

I'll take them over Along For The Ride ANY DAY of the week...

I love the Answer Lies Within but Along for the Ride is in a different league - in a good way.
This.

And yes, that key solo is outstanding, including the delay.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2015, 11:41:41 AM »

did I say it was?!

No - which Is why I did. :neverusethis:

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2015, 11:54:21 AM »
I actually listened to SS for the first time in a while last week and I still like it. I'm not crazy about Octavarium on the whole, but this is one of the better songs IMO.

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2015, 11:55:12 AM »

did I say it was?!

No - which Is why I did. :neverusethis:

you didn't need to though did you because I wasn't comparing them!! :p

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2015, 12:01:32 PM »
I was  :biggrin: :) :corn :hifive:

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2015, 12:08:08 PM »
I was  :biggrin: :) :corn :hifive:

haha, really?! ive got 3 teenage kids like you who would argue the hind leg off a donkey!! :p

Offline pcs90

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2015, 12:12:04 PM »
I don't like the patch he uses in AFTR but I love the solo itself. I'll take AFTR over TALW any day, though I do like both.

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2015, 12:16:42 PM »
I don't like the patch he uses in AFTR but I love the solo itself. I'll take AFTR over TALW any day, though I do like both.
Love JM's bass playing behind the solo aswell.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2015, 03:21:34 PM »
Music is ok, but needs to be heavier.  Don't care much for the subject matter unless the mood of the song fits.  If you're gonna write songs about terrorism, it better be heavy and angry.  Otherwise, it's not really getting the message across.  Even ITNOG isn't heavy enough or ITPOE for that matter.  I'm talking heavy like HTF in terms of DT type heavy.

I don't think it's about Terrorism, more a song about the tragedy that occured. It was an emotional event that affected a lot of people. The line "Who would wish this on our people?" portrays the songs mood.

Yes, it absolutely is about terrorism.  What do you think "Sacrificed Sons" is referring to?  "Who would wish this on our people" is referring to the terrorists who perpetrated the tragedy.  "Scriptures they heed have misled them, All praise their Sacrificed Sons" is talking about the terrorists who sacrificed themselves in the name of their god at the expense of the victims and their familes.  But, that was really beside my point.  I was talking more about the mood of the music, not the lyrics.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2015, 07:41:42 PM »
1. Octavarium
2. Sacrificed Sons
3. The Root of All Evil
4. Never Enough
5. Panic Attack
6. These Walls
7. The Answer Lies Within
8. I Walk Beside You

I actually love the whole album, now that I think about it.  I think I underrate my own opinion of the album because of the fact that Octavarium (song) towers over everything else.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2015, 10:30:34 PM »
Does nobody rate The Answer Lies Within ? I know i've ranked it quite low above but only because I love the album so much that I actually prefer the other songs..

But The Answer Lies Within & I Walk Beside You are two of my favourite Dream Theater " ballads".

I'll take them over Along For The Ride ANY DAY of the week...

I've liked TALW since I first heard. Hasn't stood the test of time in terms of replay value but it's great to listen as part of the whole album still. It was actually one of the first ballad songs I really got into from DT. I also love AFTR though, possibly a bit more. :P

I also love the instrumental section. My biggest issue with it is that the instrumental section doesn't belong in the song. You can't throw a progressive section like that into a song about one of the worst things to happen to the United States. It takes away from the entire mood. That said, it's still a great song.

Interesting, I think the instrumental section is one of the best parts. But, most people that say it doesn't fit, don't normally say they still love it lol. Now regarding whether it's out of place or not, I find a lot of these crazy instrumental sections are almost musical metaphors for some of the content or themes within the songs. They sort of go all chaotic and crazy which sometimes sets the mood quite well with songs like; Sacrificed Sons, Outcry and Lost Not Forgotten. Other songs that I feel have attempted to tell a story or evoke a mood through the music; Dance of Eternity, Stream of Consciousness, A Nightmare to Remember, The Dark Eternal Night, The Count of Tuscany come to mind. This phenomenon might also be quite prominent on When Dream and Day Unite too.

I love everything about it.  To me, it's like a mini Octavarium.  It has a slow build up where the first half is like a ballad, then it gets heavy leading right into the ending.  Being a huge thrash metal fan, that part from 7:50 to 8:23 is just awesome.   It seems like I don't hear about it on here much, it seems to get pushed under the radar.  What do you think about this song and do you agree that it's underrated?

Yeah that Riff is one of my favourites. I love syncopated riffs like that (See Honor Thy Father and Scarred). The whole thing really is an amazing piece of music. Build-up can feel a bit slow on multiple listens though. But I feel the ties to the subject matter and all those preconceptions hold it back from standing out above the rest of these sort of 'mini epics' IMO.

Offline 425

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2015, 09:06:21 PM »
Quote from: Nobody
Rank The Octavarium album.

::) Rank the Octavarium Album ? Fine...

1. Octavarium
2. These Walls
3. Sacrificed Sons
4. Panic Attack
5. The Root of All Evil
6. I Walk Beside You
7. The Answer Lies Within
8. Never Enough

This is a pretty solid album from DT and falls around low-middle of a pretty strong discography for me. The top four are all within my top 55 and only Never Enough would go towards the bottom of my list.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline krands85

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2015, 04:36:51 AM »
1. Octavarium
2. Sacrificed Sons
3. The Root of All Evil
4. Panic Atttack
5. These Walls
6. The Answer Lies Within
7. Never Enough
8. I Walk Beside You

Fairly sizable gap in quality between the top 4 and bottom 4 for me, but there isn't much between the bottom 4.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2015, 05:08:39 AM »
Quote from: Nobody
Rank The Octavarium album.

::) Rank the Octavarium Album ? Fine...
Let's rank the Octavarium Album!

1. Octavarium
2. The Root of All Evil
3. Sacrificed Sons
4. Panic Attack
5. Never Enough
6. These Walls
7. I Walk Beside You
8. The Answer Lies Within

Oh I should mention Octavarium doesn't "tower" above all the other tracks as much as it does for others, was actually considering putting TROAE or even SS on #1.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2015, 06:50:08 AM »
The "teach them what to think and feel" part is really great. Perfect vocal emotion.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again