Author Topic: Top 50 "Classical" Works - Currently: Scorpion 47-48, Splent Addenda  (Read 13797 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Re: Splent's Top 50 "Classical" Works - ***CLASSICAL HONORABLE MENTION
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2015, 07:43:40 PM »
Sorry for the delay. I'm going to try to post this before I can HOPEFULLY see the eclipse (clouds have moved in... boo)

The main people in the Classical Period are Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven (some people include Schubert but I view him more as Romantic)... There may be 1-2 others on this list but mainly those three. They DOMINATED this era. So here we go.

C5. Solfeggio - Carl Phillip Emmanuel Bach (1766)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBf2aUwODMY

CPE Bach (JS Bach's son) was a transitional composer between the Baroque and Classical periods (such as Beethoven was between the Classical and Romantic eras). None of Bach's sons gained the noteriety that their dad did, but CPE Bach had a respectable career. This is EASILY his most famous work. This piece is so much fun to play on the piano. It's interesting because for the most part it's monophonic; the melody acts in such a way as it creates harmony with itself, making it unique in my opinion.

C4. Twelve Variations on "Ah vous dirai-je, Maman" - W.A. Mozart (1781)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyhxeo6zLAM

Mozart travelled all around Europe during his youth. There was a point during this year of composition where he lived in Paris. This was a popular folk song in Paris. Mozarts Variations gave it notoriety, and probably because of this we now have about 20 songs following this melody. I'm not going to tell you what it is. You must click the link. MWAHAHA

C3. Rage Over A Lost Penny - Ludwig von Beethoven (c. 1795)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFPkfRoe9jA

This piece is just fun, which is interesting because so much of Beethoven's work is dark.

C2. Symphony #3 "Eroica" - Ludwig von Beethoven (1801)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YObQ6bP0eDQ

I can't put all of Beethoven's symphonies in my top 50!!!

C1 - Piano Sonata #8 "Pathetique" - Ludwig von Beethoven (1798)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrcOcKYQX3c

This was TOUGH because it was between this and another one... however I like the other one JUST a little bit better overall. One of my favorite pieces to play in music is the 2nd movement of this piece... so serene...
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2015, 09:10:48 PM »
spoilers - the other beethoven piano sonata is #14  ::)
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2015, 10:36:23 PM »
spoilers - the other beethoven piano sonata is #14  ::)
I'll be disappointed if that one isn't on the list at all :P

I've been told there's an interpretation of Rage Over... by Jordan Rudess, and faster. Can't find it tho.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2015, 11:44:45 PM »
It took a while for me to get into the "Eroica" Symphony. But it's certainly happened now. What a breakthrough in music history! The symphony was by far the longest written at that point in time. The first movement development section takes you into all sorts of unexpected tonal areas, foreshadowing the chromaticism that composers like Wagner would later explore more fully. The funeral march slow movement is probably what pushes this symphony forward to the Romantic period. Funeral march = emotion. Then you have the Scherzo, with its middle Trio section featuring chords from three horns (one more than the standard pair required for classical-period orchestras), and the finale, which takes the form of a Theme and Variations. The theme for this was originally used in his ballet The Creatures of Prometheus, and he later wrote a separate set of variations on the same theme for solo piano.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2015, 12:03:03 AM »
Eroica was pretty fun to play last semester
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Kilgore Trout

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2015, 02:12:50 PM »
Periods I'll include in this (years are not set in stone):
Renaissance (1450-1600)
Baroque (1600-1750)
Classical (1750-1825)
Romantic (1825-1900)
20th Century (1900-1965)
Modern (1965-present)
Out of curiosity, why 1965 for the "modern" period?

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2015, 03:41:18 PM »
Periods I'll include in this (years are not set in stone):
Renaissance (1450-1600)
Baroque (1600-1750)
Classical (1750-1825)
Romantic (1825-1900)
20th Century (1900-1965)
Modern (1965-present)
Out of curiosity, why 1965 for the "modern" period?

50 years just seemed like a round number...  Also that was right around the time when Terry Riley, LaMonte Young, and Steve Reich were starting to become popular with the minimalism movement, gradually gearing music away from atonality back to tonality.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2015, 03:54:56 PM »
 To be honest, I've been thinking about breaking it down even a little bit more…

Maybe something like this… I know the years are off... I have to think about it... Also don't know what to put after 1990, unless it's like post minimalism or something.

Romantic 1925-1880
Impressionism/Neoclassicism 1880-1935
Serialism/Musique Concrete 1935-1965
Minimalism 1965-1990
Modern 1990-present

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2015, 04:03:26 PM »
 My biggest issue is music evolved so much in the first part of the 20th century that I have no idea how to categorize it without breaking it down too much. It's not going to be perfect.  Technically John Cage was not a  Composer that I would put underneath serialism, but that's the only place I can think of where he would fit. Plus you have composers who were successful during this time period Such as Aaron Copland and Leonard Bernstein. They most definitely were not composers  Who wrote in the serialism.  And then you got Charles Ives who is completely ahead of his time… I'm stuck.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2015, 12:27:41 PM »
Renaissance (1450-1600)
Baroque (1600-1750)
Classical (1750-1825)
Romantic 1825-1885
Impressionism/Neoclassicism 1885-1935
Serialism/Musique Concrete 1935-1965
Minimalism 1965-1990
Modern 1990-present

VERSUS

Renaissance (1450-1600)
Baroque (1600-1750)
Classical (1750-1825)
Romantic 1825-1900
Modern 1900-present

This may change. I'm not exactly sure if I like this setup, and I'm not a fan of Serialism at ALL so I may not have an honorable mention for it... I may just give up and put everything past 1900 in one category but I REALLY don't want to. If you have any better suggestions be my guest. I just don't want to dump everything from the last century in one category because it evolved SO MUCH. Maybe I'm being anal about it but this is something I'm very passionate about.

Please make some suggestions if you have any.

Romantic (regardless of years) will be posted tonight.

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2015, 01:11:27 PM »
Excellent idea for a thread!  My knowledge of Classical music is not that strong, so I'm following to learn more!
- Ronzoni -

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's Top 50 "Classical" Works - ***ROMANTIC HONORABLE MENTION
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2015, 07:04:57 PM »
OK

I'm going with the first list. I can't figure out another way. This way, you can be introduced to a few of my favorites in every time period, even if no others make my top 50 (ahem, such as serialism pieces).

So here now commences my honorable mention Romantic pieces.

So many people in this forum LOVE this time period... I really don't. To me, it sounds overblown, schmultzy, and drawn out, sort of like a Lifetime movie. Wagner is the worst. I DETEST Wagner. I'm sorry to all you Wagner lovers. There are still a few gems in here that I enjoy; since travelling was easier with the advent of the Industrial Revolution, many composers were now heavily influenced by music from other parts of the world, particularly that of the Middle East and Asia, and even including the United States (This was later during this period). There was also a HUGE increase in Nationalist music and folk music from particular countries, which I enjoy.  In addition, more composers from Scandinavia (Grieg, Sibelius) and Eastern Europe started becoming popular (Chopin, Dvorak, Liszt) as well as Russia with the big 5 and Tchaikovsky.

RM5. Peer Gynt Suite #1 - Edvard Grieg (1875)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBxBAXVP8IA

This was based on a play by a Norwegian, and Grieg wrote the incidental music for it; he later expanded it into two suites. I chose the first suite. I do enjoy a few of the movements, but they are somewhat overplayed in commercials, particularly In The Hall of the Mountain King and Morning Mood. I do enjoy Anitra's Dance a lot though. It's also fun to do Hall of the Mountain King with Kindergarteners, pretending we're sneaking up the mountain and then getting chased at the end :)

RM4. Violin Concerto - Johannes Brahms (1878)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqqSJfS3Lm4

This piece is very good. It's beautiful. Oddly for everything that Brahms composed this was his only concerto. But it's one of my favorites. I dont' listen to it often but when I do I get lost in it.

RM3. Hungarian Rhapsody #2 - Franz Liszt (1847)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byGI1mDi3no

You probably know this piece as the piece that Tom played while Jerry was in the piano, or the one that Bugs Bunny was playing. This piece is just so much fun to listen to and it's FREAKING HARD. The last page of the music I'm like  :omg: It was also orchestrated at a later point, but the piano piece is just wow.

RM2. Raindrop Prelude - Frederic Chopin (1838)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8uONLM5U-I

This piece is soft, tender, and quite long for a prelude, but one of the most famous. I've tried playing this, and it's not particularly difficult, but I love the tenderness of it. I think Raindrop is a perfect nickname for it... reminds me of a late April shower when everything is green, flowers are blooming, and the smell of the rain.

RM1. Piotr Ilych Tchaikovsky - Piano Concerto No. 1 (1875)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItSJ_woWnmk

The opening of this piece is the most famous... unfortunately anytime I hear it I think of Annie Wilkes putting on her Liberace records...

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2015, 11:03:43 PM »
B5. Johann Pachebel - Canon and Gigue in D (1680)
B2. J.S. Bach - Toccata and Fugue in D minor BWV 565 (unknown)

C3. Rage Over A Lost Penny - Ludwig von Beethoven (c. 1795)
C2. Symphony #3 "Eroica" - Ludwig von Beethoven (1801)

RM4. Violin Concerto - Johannes Brahms (1878)
RM2. Raindrop Prelude - Frederic Chopin (1838)
RM1. Piotr Ilych Tchaikovsky - Piano Concerto No. 1 (1875)

I know all of these pieces.

Eroica is by far the best of the early Beethoven symphonies, IMO.

Raindrop is one of my favourite Chopin pieces.

I've never been able to get into Violin Concertos/Concerti. I love Bach's Ciaccone from Partita No. 2 though.

Tchaikovsky's 1st Piano Concerto really is all about that first movement.

As far as I know, I still haven't heard Peer Gynt (though I understand I would be familiar with at least bits of it) or Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata, those are two pieces I've been meaning to get around to.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2015, 06:59:13 AM »
 I just looked on Wikipedia, and there are several other ways that I can group my honorable mention music… I'm going to look into it throughout the day, and hopefully post my impressionist pieces tonight.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2015, 11:04:04 AM »
I detest Wagner too, but the romantic period is still one of my favourites, Brahms and Mendelssohn especially.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2015, 03:29:40 PM »
I detest Wagner too, but the romantic period is still one of my favourites, Brahms and Mendelssohn especially.

I really enjoy Mendelssohn too… You may see him on the top 50 ;)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2015, 02:39:45 PM »
OK... I'm going to post Impressionistic Honorable Mentions, but then I'm going to be out of town for the weekend, so I won't be posting much (unless I have time late at night, which is probably not going to happen).

I'm still trying to tweak the subsections of more modern music. Here's what wikipedia has:
Renaissance
Baroque
Classical
Romantic
Impressionism
Modern/High Modern - This includes serialism (Schoenburg, Webern), Expressionism (Ives, Mahler, Stravinsky), and NeoClassicism (Hindemith, Copland)
Contemporary - This includes Minimalism and postmodernist music, basically stemming from the latter half to third of the 20th century to today.

THIS IS HOW I WILL DO THIS!!!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2015, 03:59:21 PM »
I love Chopin, Tchaikovsky and Beethoven, have mixed feelings on Brahms and Wagner and still know too little of Grieg, Mendelssohn-Bartholdy and Liszt to judge on them. I will have a listen to the pieces you mentioned, especially the ones I don't know too well yet. As I'm still relatively new to classical music some styles/periods, like romanticism, are still hard for me to figure out. I just have to listen to every piece very carefully a few times to understand what is going on and to determine whether I like it or not; only Chopin and Tchaikovsky I can listen to and 'get' it immediately.

Offline Kilgore Trout

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2015, 04:15:49 AM »
I'm still trying to tweak the subsections of more modern music. Here's what wikipedia has:
Renaissance
Baroque
Classical
Romantic
Impressionism
Modern/High Modern - This includes serialism (Schoenburg, Webern), Expressionism (Ives, Mahler, Stravinsky), and NeoClassicism (Hindemith, Copland)
Contemporary - This includes Minimalism and postmodernist music, basically stemming from the latter half to third of the 20th century to today.

This is the common periodisation. It's overly broad, but should be enough for a top I guess. Going into subdivisions might prove difficult, as esthetics needs definition (which some might disagree with (ex : Ives, Stravinsky and Mahler never wrote expressionists works to me, expressionism designating mostly german early atonal pieces by Schonberg, Berg and Webern, and some others (like early Hindemith)) and can run over several periods of time (with some composers switching from one esthetic to another). "Neoclassicism" is particulary difficult to pin down : 80 % of the composers of the 20th century would fall under this category. It's mostly an expression of an underlying esthetical and political war between expressionism/serialism and neoclassicism, but does not say much about the music itself (what do Stravinsky neoclassic music have in common with Hindemith late pieces ?).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 07:27:51 AM by Kilgore Trout »

Offline Kilgore Trout

« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2015, 07:49:04 AM »
My biggest issue is music evolved so much in the first part of the 20th century that I have no idea how to categorize it without breaking it down too much. It's not going to be perfect.  Technically John Cage was not a  Composer that I would put underneath serialism, but that's the only place I can think of where he would fit. Plus you have composers who were successful during this time period Such as Aaron Copland and Leonard Bernstein. They most definitely were not composers  Who wrote in the serialism.  And then you got Charles Ives who is completely ahead of his time… I'm stuck.
True. Traditions and esthetics overlaped a lot in the XXth century. The logical progression from late romantism (Wagner and Strauss) to early expressionism (Schönberg, Berg, Webern) to first serialism (the same) to the second serialism (Boulez, Stockhausen, Berio, etc.) to the various forms of post-serialism (with a bit of Debussy and early Stravinsky thrown in it for good measure), that the serialists tried to impose is only a partial way to see the music history. Nowadays, it's worse, you can find everything from extreme avant-garde to every kind of neo-romantism that you can think of, and everything in between.
But it's actually not that new. Even in earlier periods, esthetics and styles overlaped (and let's not forget that musical creation is driven but artistic reasons but also social and political contexts). There were composers writing music that sounded like renaissance music as late as 1650. Even Bach was "old school" at the end of his time when some younger composers were reaching toward what would be the classical style. The renaissance is also a period when many styles were evolving in parallel. History is never as clear and simple as some would want it to be...

I guess you can just talk a little bit about pieces you lile.  :corn

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2015, 09:07:45 PM »
Renaissance
Baroque
Classical
Romantic
Impressionism

This is the common periodisation. It's overly broad, but should be enough for a top I guess. Going into subdivisions might prove difficult, as esthetics needs definition (which some might disagree with (ex : Ives, Stravinsky and Mahler never wrote expressionists works to me, expressionism designating mostly german early atonal pieces by Schonberg, Berg and Webern, and some others (like early Hindemith)) and can run over several periods of time (with some composers switching from one esthetic to another). "Neoclassicism" is particulary difficult to pin down : 80 % of the composers of the 20th century would fall under this category. It's mostly an expression of an underlying esthetical and political war between expressionism/serialism and neoclassicism, but does not say much about the music itself (what do Stravinsky neoclassic music have in common with Hindemith late pieces ?).

Exactly. I would have a HARD time trying to find pieces to fit into a serialsm honorable mention top 5 because I really can't stand most of it... Webern's tone row music just sounds like banging on a piano to me. It gets worse with John Cage... although I do enjoy some of his prepared piano pieces, his indeterminate music is again, like my daughter just playing around on the piano to me (although, the ironic thing is Cage would actually call that music; and I can't say that I don't enjoy my daughter trying to play). And yeah, Stravinsky going from his huge nationalistic ballets to more neoclassical music is a HUGE shift... and then you got a ton of other composers like Lygeti, Boulez, and Penderecki that are ALL doing different things, Stockhausen who was a pioneer in the world of electronic music with musique concrete, and others. For me, it would be almost impossible for me to make an accurate top 5 honorable mention with all these specific categories without putting someone in inaccurately, so I'm just going to use modernism to explain them all. And to be honest, this era will probably be the one that evolves the most before my next version of this list, as I've heard pieces by many of these composers but am not familiar enough with them to place them in a top 50 or honorable mention list, so for the next version, if I do get more familiar with the pieces, I will end up changing it to more specific subgenres.

Alrighty, onward with Impressionism.

I5. Arabesque 1 - Claude Debussy (1888)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMVmQAW0CM8

I learned how to play this in high school, and it was at the time the most difficult piece I learned to play. While playing for solo and ensemble festivals, I had judges comment that I would be good at playing Debussy because of the expression that I put in my playing, and this just fit for me. It's so beautiful and intricate. I love the chords that are put into it... the arpeggiated chords in the lower register (which are a BITCH to play) just give a sense of flowing... I feel calm immediately while listening to it.

I4. Pines of Rome - Ottorino Respighi (1924)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvgyfqzLC0A

I first heard this piece while watching Fantasia 2000, so obviously I think of whales floating while watching this, even though that's not Respighi's vision (blessing and a curse in Fantasia). Although the immediate splash of music that you hear when the music begins reminds you again, of water flowing and splashing, just like you'd see in a fountain. The ebbs and flows of this music are undeniable.

I3. La Cathedrale Engloutie - Claude Debussy (1910)

I was given a task in college to orchestrate this piece, and I must have done OK since I got a B+. I would love to hear my arrangement live at some point, but I'd have to tweak with it (if you want to check it out, it is on the classical music archive, so I linked it below... it's a .mid file, so not the best quality).  The translation of this prelude is "The Sunken Cathedral" so I imagine an old cathedral with it's bell still intact, still ringing, even though it's under the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg5hvGS7X7w
https://www.classicalarchives.com/contributor/1008.html (My orchestrated arrangement, you need to register to hear the full version)

I2. Jeux d'eau - Maurice Ravel (1901)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_36x1_LKgg

I LOVE this piece. It's so joyful... why is it that almost all of these pieces that I picked are about water? I guess all these open quartal and quintal chords give me a vision of water. Anyways, I just imagine while listening to this water flowing... it's not a rapid river, it's a clear stream flowing through the mountainside in spring, splashing against the rocks sticking out from the ground.

I1. Gymnopedie 1 - Eric Satie (1888)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Xm7s9eGxU

FINALLY a piece NOT about water! Satie was an eccentric man... and pieces such as this helped to influence both Debussy and Ravel greatly, even though compositionally Satie isn't generally considered an Impressionist composer. I HAVE to put this here, because there are just too many elements within the musical structure of the piece (not necessarily how they are used) are impressionistic.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
Re: Splent's Top 50 "Classical" Works - ***IMPRESSIONISM HONORABLE MENTION
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2015, 02:12:36 PM »
Listening to DesPrez now, I know I'm a bit late. I love music of that era, and even more the music before that. Last year I bought an album full of 13th century French music. Really simple, but so effective.

I'm gonna be honest, I've never cared for Baroque or Classical era music. I'll listen to the pieces in you top list, but I'm going to skip the HM.

So the Romantic era, I love romantic music, the extremities, the emotions, the harmonies.
The Peer Gynt suite is wonderful. Still a bit painting by numbers to me, but very much helping the listening to picture a landscape.
Brahms is something I always think I'd like, but never really listen to. It has never really grabbed me. I guess the idea of a symphony orchestra doesn't really grab me. Just too old fashioned maybe.
Right now, Liszt. Love piano music from this era (always had more with Chopin but Liszt is good too) I had never heard this piece, I think, but I really like it, thanks!
So onto Chopin. Remarkably this piece didn't do very much to me. Very dramatic, but not as dreamy as Chopin can be.
The Tchaikovsky piece is a classic, and rightly so! Just like Grieg though it reminds me very much of the radio on sunday morning. Though this is a bit more up and down, I like that. The unpredictable side of romantic music.

Impressionism:
Debussy: I really love La Cathedral Engloutie. Classic Debussy piano work. Dreamy, never really to the point, I really like that side of his music.
Respighi. I had never heard of this composer. So I went to listen with great interest. Didn't let me down, interesting arrangement, and use of instruments. Great melodies and extreme ups and downs.
Ravel, next to the Bolero I've never heard anything of Ravel I believe. I really like this piano work! Wonderful piece, thanks!
Satie, I've heard this piece being performed before, I love the simple melodie, and the way it's being accompanied by another simple thing. It could've been a children's song as well.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2015, 07:08:20 AM »
 My modern honorable mentions will be posted probably sometime today. I've also decided that I'm going to do a top 25 or top 50 choral pieces. So much my background is in choral music, but it doesn't really fit in this type of top 50, and I want to include that in some sort of list.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2015, 10:43:38 AM »
Respighi's other two Roman tone poems are also very much worth a listen. Fountains of Rome and Roman Festival. All three (Pines included) are richly orchestrated, making great use of percussion (both tuned and untuned), piano(s) and organ. Pines also has the first use of pre-recorded sound in a live musical work, namely the nightingale heard at the end of the third section.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's Top 50 "Classical" Works - ***MODERN HONORABLE MENTION
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2015, 02:25:15 PM »
The use of "modern" here refers to modernism, namely art through the first half to two thirds of the 20th century, before the drastic change that followed in the mid 1960s.

Schoenberg is NOT on this list, as this is how I feel about him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y41_gjk2V4c

M5. Igor Stravinsky - L'Histore du Soldat (1918)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RewFQpEY55w

Stravinsky wrote this during the beginning of his Neoclassical period, after his larger works such as Firebird and Rite of Spring. It sounds completely different, as he almost immediately changed his composition style after the backlash he received after Rite of Spring and his opera The Nightengale. This can be performed in a few different ways (both performance wise and in instrumentation), and the narration is more often in French... however, I put the English version on here, as this production with the ballet tells the interesting story that goes along with it quite well.

M4. John Cage - Sonata V (1946)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRHoKZRYBlY

I'm not a huge fan of John Cage because his indeterminate method just sounds like banging on a piano (he followed the I Ching, and basically rolled a die to determine pitch, note value, and other things wtihin the music)... but I always found the prepared piano pieces fascinating. He made the piano more percussive by putting screws, nuts, bolts, and other objects in the piano. I first heard this in my 20th century music class and I found it quite cool. 

M3. Benjamin Britten - The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra (1946)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vbvhU22uAM

As a music teacher, I love this piece, as it integrates the teaching of the instrument families and their individual instruments within the piece, as was its intent. We start hearing a song based on a theme by Purcell, and slowly it ebbs away from that after the introduction of the instrument families through various variations of that theme that feature the individual instruments, coming to a head with a final fugue-like variation in the finale.

M2. Karlheinz Stockhausen - Gesang der Jünglinge (1956)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1Psx24n3rM

This was basically the first piece of electronic music to become popular, as it interweaves various eletronic sounds with recordings of someone singing and speaking. While experimental in nature and avant-garde in sound (I don't usually like this type of music), it's fascinating to me as basically without this, we may not have what was to come in electronic music (ambient, sampling, synths, etc).

M1. Krzysztof Penderecki - Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima (1960)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp3BlFZWJNA

I studied the score for a class in college, and it was full of tone clusters (basically the entire staff was blacked out at one point)... I was like what is this... but you listen to this you hear the agony, pain, and sadness that compounds the tragedy that became the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It just fits. And it hurts. And it's supposed to. (side note - This was basically #51 on my list... it hurt to take it off... but too many other pieces deserve to be on my list)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 06:38:03 PM by splent »

Offline Kilgore Trout

Re: Splent's Top 50 "Classical" Works - ***MODERN HONORABLE MENTION
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2015, 03:30:09 PM »
Stravinsky wrote this during the beginning of his Neoclassical period, after his larger works such as Firebird and Rite of Spring. It sounds completely different, as he almost immediately changed his composition style after the backlash he received after Rite of Spring and his opera The Nightengale.
You make it sound like Stravinsky changed his style because of the backlash. It's not really the case...

M1. Krzysztof Penderecki - Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima (1960)

I studied the score for a class in college, and it was full of tone clusters (basically the entire staff was blacked out at one point)... I was like what is this... but you listen to this you hear the agony, pain, and sadness that compounds the tragedy that became the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It just fits. And it hurts. And it's supposed to.
The funny thing is that Penderecki didn't write the piece with Hiroshima and Nagasaki in mind at all. It was written as a purely abstract and experimental piece. Penderecki gave the final title only after the piece was premiered with its original title (8'37", the approximate duration of the piece). It was a smart move, as the piece probably wouldn't have been as succesful without its title...
While it's good, it's not my favorite piece from Penderecki early period.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's Top 50 "Classical" Works - ***MODERN HONORABLE MENTION POSTED
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2015, 06:28:03 PM »
No
Stravinsky wrote this during the beginning of his Neoclassical period, after his larger works such as Firebird and Rite of Spring. It sounds completely different, as he almost immediately changed his composition style after the backlash he received after Rite of Spring and his opera The Nightengale.
You make it sound like Stravinsky changed his style because of the backlash. It's not really the case...

Oh no I know that. I think it was a factor... However, I know he was evolving as a composer, ESPECIALLY after Lenin came to power (I believe that was the ultimate factor that made him deviate from his nationalistic period to his neoclassical period); even though the soldiers tale was about a Russian soldier.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Oh what the heck. Here are the contemporary honorable mentions. I want to get the countdown started. A few of these (more in the top 50) are choral works because I'm such a choir guy... so I give you fair warning.

C5. Steve Reich - Music For 18 Musicians (1976)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXJWO2FQ16c

I love Steve Reich and his phasing works... I think it's just the chaos that builds in between each section that finally meets up and to me it's like a new section of music.  This was Reich's first work that really branched out away from that... you can hear how the music still evolves slowly (which is a characteristic of most minimalistic works, but especially Reich's. The first section is called "Pulses", as you can hear (and feel) the pulses of the music. There are only 11 chords in the piece, yet the music changes so much (yet so little)...

C4. Philip Glass - Another Look At Harmony, Part IV (1975)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ysq3lEoWXI

Philip Glass is another one, and his earlier works do evolve slowly as with Reich... just with more arpeggios (buh dum pssh). No I know it's not so cut and dry. I do enjoy this piece. One of my favorite pieces written by him are the pieces he wrote for Sesame Street's Geometry of Circles, which are similar in voicing as this is.

C3. Terry Riley - In C (1964)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRaa34E8tXQ

THANK YOU TERRY RILEY.

This was written in direct response to Schoenburg-inspired atonal techniques that had dominiated the musical landscape for decades... when my 20th century professor played this piece we literally cheered, because music sounded like music again. Music finally had tonality again, and while this wasn't the first piece to had tonality return, this was the first in the same vein as those modernist composers as before. While it isn't my favorite minimalist composition, this must be mentioned.

C2. Steve Reich - Different Trains (1990)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyLfrQhPR5A

THIS PIECE IS AWESOME. Reich took recordings of people who were train operators and those who rode trains, train whistles, and composed the music around their speech, integrating them perfectly, and captures the emotion of the time period. Movement one is called America Before the War, describing those who rode trains around the country. Movement two is called Europe during the war, describing trains taking Jews to the concentration camps... and Movement Three is after the war. Reich did this type of compositional technique again for a piece about 9/11.

C1. Eric Whitacre - Lux Aurumque (2000)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j2JRcC6wBs

Whitacre is one of the most prolific choral composers currently, and this music is one of the reasons why. I close my eyes and am lost... Darkness and then... light.
This piece with original lyrics in Latin that mean "Light of Gold" captures that idea... he composed a sequel a few years ago called Nox Aurumque.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Ugh, can't stand Music for 18 musicians - bores me to tears :lol

Btw, gave the Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima piece a listen. Damn, so atonal, dark, and abrasive. Right up my alley.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
C1. Eric Whitacre - Lux Aurumque (2000)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j2JRcC6wBs

Whitacre is one of the most prolific choral composers currently, and this music is one of the reasons why. I close my eyes and am lost... Darkness and then... light.
This piece with original lyrics in Latin that mean "Light of Gold" captures that idea... he composed a sequel a few years ago called Nox Aurumque.

just listened to a performance of this very recently.  Some great chords/voicings in this, particularly the soft ones in the second half of the song.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Ugh, can't stand Music for 18 musicians - bores me to tears :lol

Btw, gave the Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima piece a listen. Damn, so atonal, dark, and abrasive. Right up my alley.

I have to be in the mood,  more often I'm in the mood than not.

And threnody is seriously one of the most intense piece of music ever composed.  As Kilgore trout pointed out, the original title was eight minutes 23 seconds or something like that, as in oh mosh to John cages four minutes and 33 seconds… I'm glad he changed the title LOL

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
I really like Whitacre, but my favourite of his works would, without a doubt, be "Water Night", though I guess that is as much due to the briliant poem that it is based on, but the music is beautiful too.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
I really like Whitacre, but my favourite of his works would, without a doubt, be "Water Night", though I guess that is as much due to the briliant poem that it is based on, but the music is beautiful too.

Water Night is awesome too, but my favorite is in my top 50.

Offline RoeDent

With the minimalism out of the way, hopefully the actual top 50 will have more interesting contemporary works.

Also, if you want to hear a composer who defiantly stuck to Romantic/tonal principles through the dark days of serialism, listen to the music of Cornish composer George Lloyd (1913-98).

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's Top 50 "Classical" Works - ***49-50
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2015, 04:50:59 PM »
With the minimalism out of the way, hopefully the actual top 50 will have more interesting contemporary works.

There are a few.  There are also a couple of more recent works by composers that were mainly minimalists in the 60s that I do enjoy as well. Then again, I do enjoy minimalism more than probably most (probably because, in a way, it was like a 2nd renaissance back into tonality, and the way it evolves somewhat reminds me of Renaissance composers.

That said, let's start the countdown.

50. Felix Mendelssohn - Elijah (1846)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqhBvwL5QBg

Arguably Mendelssohn's most popular and famous work, there are some BEAUTIFUL choral works as well as solos in here. My personal favorite is He Watching Over Israel, which is what I posted here. It's an oratorio, meaning that it's a work with a chorus and soloists, such as like an opera; main differences are that it's usually not acted out, and the text is sacred, usually from the bible. This oratorio has elements of both classical and romantic periods, as it was composed during that transitional period, so it's not totally over the top as it did around the time Wagner was king. Soft, subtle, and beautiful.

49. Camille Saint-Saens - Danse Macabre (1874)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytpqcJ1IfoA

Great program music. It's based on a thematic poem by Henri Cazalis about Death having fun on Halloween night. You can hear the clock chime midnight at the beginning, the xylophones representing the clash of bones of skeletons (also used in Carnival of the Animals, same theme and all)...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 06:16:29 PM by splent »