Author Topic: Top 50 "Classical" Works - Currently: Scorpion 47-48, Splent Addenda  (Read 13791 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Re: Splent's Top 50 "Classical" Works - ***27-28
« Reply #140 on: October 24, 2015, 12:09:10 PM »
BTW... i just did some tweaking of my list and realized that I really am not a huge fan of what I originally had in at number 26 (slipped through the cracks from how I arranged my list; it was originally Swan Lake... and while I like bits and pieces of it I'm not a huge fan of the piece as a whole), so I replaced it with the Ives.  Yes, that's how much I liked it. It was amazing. And yeah upon listening to it again, 25/26 is an appropriate place for it. So you get to see that again tomorrow!
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #141 on: October 24, 2015, 01:02:45 PM »
It's fantastic to see active discussion of classical music on this forum. I'm probably more passionate about classical music than I am about rock. I certainly have far more classical recordings than I do rock album.

Great list so far, splent.  :tup

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #142 on: October 24, 2015, 08:38:20 PM »
Columbia, the Gem of the Ocean

This is three cheers for the red white and blue.

I didn't obviously hear all of those songs the first time through, but I knew there were several. That was just the one that stood out to me the most the first time through.

As far as Berg goes, of the three serialist "greats" to come out of that school of music, I get annoyed by him the least. I agree there is a little bit of tonality in his music. Doesn't mean I enjoy it very much. In my opinion Webern was the worst. I can't stand Webern. One time I had a friend tell a musical joke. "Here is a piece by Webern" and then she half slid her hand across the piano keys so just some of the keys played.

Actually now that I think about it that joke would work better to describe John Cage...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 08:45:31 PM by splent »

Offline Kilgore Trout

« Reply #143 on: October 25, 2015, 02:15:31 AM »
I didn't obviously hear all of those songs the first time through, but I knew there were several. That was just the one that stood out to me the most the first time through.

Some of the quotes are actually very hard to hear, because they're heavily transformed. But "Columbia, the Gem of the Ocean" is one of Ives' favorites, he quotes it all the time.

As far as Berg goes, of the three serialist "greats" to come out of that school of music, I get annoyed by him the least. I agree there is a little bit of tonality in his music. Doesn't mean I enjoy it very much. In my opinion Webern was the worst. I can't stand Webern. One time I had a friend tell a musical joke. "Here is a piece by Webern" and then she half slid her hand across the piano keys so just some of the keys played.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Webern, but this kind of joke actually sounds nothing like his music. Webern sounds very precise and thought-out in its randomness.

But there is more to these composers, especially before serialism. Schönberg wrote some strong tonal (but post-wagnerian...) works, and his free atonal period is generally more accessible (Pierrot lunaire, the second string quartet, the Fünf Orchesterstücke op.16) than his serialist period.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #144 on: October 25, 2015, 07:35:48 AM »
Yeah I heard a beautiful pre-atonal work he wrote a while back; but obviously he's much more well known as a serialist.

Even his free atonal stuff has a lot of structure with tone rows and the like. He just extended that to serialism with the 12 tone technique. Pierrot Lunaire is tolerable but I can't listen to it now without hearing the goat :lol

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #145 on: October 25, 2015, 10:22:23 AM »
Schoenberg's cantata Gurrelieder is epic! Nearly two hours in length and scored for a colossal orchestra, bigger than that called for in Mahler's 8th Symphony.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's Top 50 "Classical" Works - ***25-26
« Reply #146 on: October 25, 2015, 02:51:08 PM »
26. Leonard Bernstein - Chichester Psalms (1965)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yhnml4DW9g

A powerful piece by Bernstein, composed during a time when he was mainly conducting the New York Philharmonic (this and his Kaddish Symphony were the only two compositions he wrote during the 60s; both encompassing Jewish themes in the lyrics).  My favorite part of this piece is the 2nd movement, where a boy soprano or countertenor sings the 23rd Psalm (never a woman - many believe Bernstein wrote this direction to give the impression that the boy David was singing these lyrics), with the women in the choir continuing.... then all of a sudden the men come in singing the 2nd psalm (why do the nations so furiously rage)... encompassing the inner struggle that many people (including Bernstein) have in regards to faith. I also love the first movement, because my favorite time signature is 7/8 (in this case 7/4, but same idea).

25. Charles Ives - Symphony #4 (approx. 1924)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xXv55ARtsM

Thank you Kilgore for introducing me to this. This piece is probalby one of the most complex pieces of music ever written, specifically the 2nd movement, which introduces themes from several well known works (marches, hymns, folk songs) and they interweave within each other, creating a sort of chaos... I have to listen to it again but there is a haunting violin solo in the middle of it, compounded with a quiet piano accompaniment and then SOMETHING (I think it's a 2nd piano) in the background playing another accompaniment a quartertone flat giving a very chilling feel to it.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #147 on: October 25, 2015, 03:20:03 PM »
Bernstein is probably my favourite American composer. His 1971 work Mass is my favourite work of the last 50 years, for its diversity in musical styles, its incredible dramatic momentum and the darn catchy melodies he wrote in it. Probably not to everyone's taste, but certainly to my taste.

The Ives is definitely on my wishlist of symphonies I need to get a recording of. The 2nd movement is so complex it actually requires a second conductor to help out. There are also several groups of musicians placed in different parts of the concert hall away from the main orchestra.

Offline Kilgore Trout

« Reply #148 on: October 26, 2015, 02:26:03 AM »
25. Charles Ives - Symphony #4 (approx. 1924)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xXv55ARtsM

Thank you Kilgore for introducing me to this. This piece is probalby one of the most complex pieces of music ever written, specifically the 2nd movement, which introduces themes from several well known works (marches, hymns, folk songs) and they interweave within each other, creating a sort of chaos... I have to listen to it again but there is a haunting violin solo in the middle of it, compounded with a quiet piano accompaniment and then SOMETHING (I think it's a 2nd piano) in the background playing another accompaniment a quartertone flat giving a very chilling feel to it.

There are indeed not two but three pianos, one of which is in quartertones.
There is a kind of program to the second movement, inspired by the short story The celestial railroad by Nathanael Hawthorne. The whole symphony is kinda programmatic too, with movements 2-3-4 being different "answers" to the "question" asked in the first movement.

The score is there, if you want to have a look at how crazy the whole thing is (the new edition starts with a survival guide for the conductor :lol) :
https://issuu.com/scoresondemand/docs/symphony_no_4_perf_ed_47475

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #149 on: October 26, 2015, 12:23:41 PM »
I think Chichester Palms is an enjoyable choral piece, but far from my favorite Bernstein.  I'll just say, I think the Overture to Candide is one of the most joyous 4 minutes of music ever composed.  Simply magical.  And of course, his West Side Story material is legendary, and I love the version of the symphonic dances that he conducts himself.  Just so much energy and passion in the music that you don't get from other conductors.  everyone who doesn't own the CD that has both of those pieces conducted by Bernstein should definitely get it.  By far the best version of both.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's Top 50 "Classical" Works - ***23-24
« Reply #150 on: October 27, 2015, 09:32:34 PM »
Sorry for the delay. Daughter turning 5 and all.

24. George Frederic Handel - Arrival of the Queen of Sheba from "Solomon" (1749)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C66XCqWkhmw

Yeah remember like a month ago when I said that I only would post works in their entirety with one exception? This is the exception. Love this piece. It's exactly how it is... the Queen of Sheba Arriving to visit King Solomon. There is an air of regality behind it, even with the repetative thematic sixteenth note motives played by the strings (which I know some people aren't a fan of, but I love it immensely). Handel is one of my favorite composers for this reason. The whole work Solomon is good, but this is my favorite. I remember singing this oratorio and being bummed when I first heard this music, because I knew I wasn't going to sing it.

23. Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina - Missa Papae Marcelli (1562)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRfF7W4El60

This is in my opinion one of the most beautiful pieces of choral music ever composed. I could die in this music. When I die and go to heaven, I hope I hear this music. Seriously. It's that beautiful. Legend has it that when the Catholic church was arguing whether or not to ban polyphony in sacred music in the church Palestrina wrote this to impress Catholic scholars that polyphonic music so beautiful.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #151 on: October 27, 2015, 09:52:37 PM »
I absolutely adore the Queen of Sheba piece.  I can't tell you why exactly, but it's just good music.  one of my friends played it at their wedding for the part where they walked down the aisle together at the conclusion of the ceremony, but that was a long time ago, and I liked it even before that.

And I've never really gotten familiar with Palestrina besides knowing it is nice choral music, but this suite really is great music.  thanks for introducing me to it!

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's Top 50 "Classical" Works - ***21-22
« Reply #152 on: October 28, 2015, 07:20:06 PM »
22. W.A. Mozart - Symphony No. 40 (1788)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzBwa2jI1Oc

Mozart's last three symphonies were some of his defining works, and from the opening familiar themes of the first movement, from the frenzied last movement. One of my favorites.

21. Philip Glass - Mad Rush (1979)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q0G0-9E5SE

The piece starts off simply... left hand plays eighth notes, then the right hand enters, playing eighth note triplets against that, creating an odd calmness about it... until after a few repeats of that main phrase.... quick arpeggiated chords with odd meters playing in opposite directions... oddly maintaining that calmness amongst the frenzy... which yes it repeats a LOT... this is Glass' MO... but for some reason it keeps me interested.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #153 on: October 28, 2015, 10:12:31 PM »
And I've never really gotten familiar with Palestrina besides knowing it is nice choral music, but this suite really is great music.  thanks for introducing me to it!

If you enjoy that, check out (this doesn't include one other Palestrina piece that's later in my list):
Super florina Babylonis
Stabat Mater
Exultate Deo
Hodie Christus Natus Est
Vineam Meam Non Custodivi
And his other Missas (Masses)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's Top 50 "Classical" Works - ***19-20
« Reply #154 on: October 29, 2015, 08:43:23 PM »
20. Sergei Rachmoninoff - Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini (1934)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL5aiUKPt3Q

This piece is great. The whole piece is good, but obviously my favorite (and most people) is the 18th variation (if you don't know, watch Groundhog Day)... I found a recording of Rachmoninoff performing it with Philadelphia Orchestra under Stokowski and while the quality isn't the best, obviously you know it's going to be good.

19. J.S. Bach - Brandenburg Concertos (1721)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCPM8DEsvmc

I was torn. I love all of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, but I couldn't pick just one, so I decided to pick them all. These constitute some of the best music of the Baroque era. There are parts of all of them that I LOVE and parts that I enjoy but aren't my favorites, so I just like them all. I posted them all here, and indicated my favorite movements of them. Enjoy them all if you have some time.

Concerto 1 in F major - Mvt. I, Mvt. III (this one is probably my 2nd favorite)
Concert 2 in F major - Mvt. III
Concert 3 in G major - Mvt I, Mvt. III (this one is probably my favorite)
Concerto 4 in G major - Mvt. I
Concerto 5 in D major - Mvt. I, Mvt. III (I like this one especially as well... see how hard this is for me!?!)
Concerto 6 in Bb major - Mvt. III

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: Splent's Top 50 "Classical" Works - ***19-20
« Reply #155 on: October 29, 2015, 09:01:31 PM »
ooh 2 updates to get caught up on.  And great choices.   a Mozart symphony is a Mozart symphony.  eminently listenable but nothing that thrills me.  good music to work to.

that Glass is very good.  I haven't heard that piece before.  In general I am a Glass fan but haven't looked into his works deeply.

Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini is Rach's best concerto.  yeah I'm gonna call it a concerto like a lot of people do.  The theme in the 18th is of course sublime.  What can you say about a perfect melody?  As a whole since it's a condensed version of a concerto I like it better, as you can tell from the recent discussion I'm not a fan of excessive development.

And Brandenburg Concertos!  Loved these since I heard Carlos' Switched on Bach as a 6-year old. (If I remember it's the 3rd, and then I learned the rest later.)  The 3rd is still my favorite though. 

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's Top 50 "Classical" Works - ***17-18
« Reply #156 on: November 01, 2015, 06:08:45 PM »
18. Piotr Ilych Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture (1880)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbxgYlcNxE8

Tchaikovsky wrote this in honor of Russia holding off Napolean's attempted invasion in 1812. Here it is presented in his authentic vision with the bells and the cannons... so don't turn it up super high if you are wearing headphones.

17. Ludwig Von Beethoven - Symphony #5 (1808)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POVjeuef0RY

Yes... Symphony #5 is this low... This was in my opinion where Beethoven jumped into greatness (not that he wasn't great already... but he kind of jumped to the next level of greatness)... this is probably one of the definitive pieces of music for anyone to listen to who isn't familiar with classical music. And it's not even my favorite by him as you will see.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #157 on: November 01, 2015, 07:52:02 PM »
I am fine with the placement of this symphony
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #158 on: November 01, 2015, 11:19:44 PM »
Love both of those. 1812 Overture is actually the piece through which I was introduced to classical music almost 4 years ago.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #159 on: November 02, 2015, 02:52:36 AM »
Two pieces that were vital in my introduction to classical music. 1812 was the first work that introduced me to it, and my first major purchase was the complete Beethoven symphonies in a 6-disc boxed set.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #160 on: November 02, 2015, 06:57:05 AM »
I hate saying this, because I try not to be snobby about things.  but 1812 is a piece that I've grown tired of and don't enjoy much anymore.  It is probably because it is overplayed though.  I just can't take myself back to being a kid and liking it again though, I've tried.  But kid me loved this piece.

And Beethoven's 5th, I have to say I love the first movement, but after that it's sort of meh.  I've tried so much to like it because everyone says it's so good, but again, after the first movement I can leave it alone.  But that first movement is gold.

Offline Onno

« Reply #161 on: November 02, 2015, 07:28:51 AM »
Two pieces that were vital in my introduction to classical music. 1812 was the first work that introduced me to it, and my first major purchase was the complete Beethoven symphonies in a 6-disc boxed set.
I did EXACTLY the same  :lol

Offline Lucien

« Reply #162 on: November 02, 2015, 10:15:44 AM »
And Beethoven's 5th, I have to say I love the first movement, but after that it's sort of meh.  I've tried so much to like it because everyone says it's so good, but again, after the first movement I can leave it alone.  But that first movement is gold.

For me, the first movement has been overplayed, so I enjoy the other movements far more (except the second movement). The transition between the third and fourth movement of that symphony is one of my favorite moments in all of music. Of that symphony, the finale is my favorite movement, and I respect the third movement for giving us double bassists such a hard time.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #163 on: November 02, 2015, 12:48:10 PM »
If it's alright with other people, I'd like to do a list after Splent is done - though be warned, it's probably going to be 90%+ of vocal music, either a cappella or in conjunction with instruments.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Onno

« Reply #164 on: November 02, 2015, 02:34:41 PM »
Colour me excited!

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #165 on: November 02, 2015, 09:11:38 PM »
If it's alright with other people, I'd like to do a list after Splent is done - though be warned, it's probably going to be 90%+ of vocal music, either a cappella or in conjunction with instruments.

:tup

I was going to do my own choral music list but do it! I'm always up for hearing some choral music. And by the way more of it is coming. 

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #166 on: November 03, 2015, 06:53:36 PM »
16. Igor Stravinsky - Firebird (1910)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vch2ZpSYPRQ

The breakthrough for Stravinsky. I love this piece. The storytelling in the music is absolutely beautiful, I love the dance of Katchai, I love the ending, I love it all.

15. W.A.Mozart - Requiem (1791)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neDnpgZPPvY

Probably one of the most haunting pieces of music given the circumstances of its' writing.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's Top 50 "Classical" Works - ***15-16
« Reply #167 on: November 06, 2015, 03:00:12 PM »
I had conferences the last two days so it's been crazy. I'll ipdate later.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's Top 50 "Classical" Works - ***13-14
« Reply #168 on: November 06, 2015, 07:33:00 PM »
14. Ludwig Von Beethoven - Symphony #6 (1808)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2VY33VXnrQ

OK.... I may get a little flack for this but I enjoy #6 more than I do #5. It's such a sharp contrast between the two... Imagine being there the night where they both were premiered back to back... I would be floored (he also premiered his 4th piano concerto and the Choral Fantasy... MAN!!!). I enjoy the fact that Beethoven made this music programmatic, which wasn't really done for decades before Beethoven brought it back... and then it became more common. Also known as the Pastoral Symphony, it's unusual in form as it has 5 movements rather than the usual 4. My personal favorite of the movements is the 3rd movement.

13. Claude Debussy - Clair de Lune (1890/1905)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIsQPdC9YnY

I love this piece. I love playing it (I'm still learning it - Don't have much time to practice... but I can play the first third or so pretty well, until those arpeggios in the left hand kill me lol). Apparently this was written in 1890 and never published, it wasn't until a publisher came to him in 1905 that they were published, and Debussy edited them greatly as his compositional style changed significantly since then. But it's just so beautiful and picturesque.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #169 on: November 07, 2015, 06:14:49 AM »
Firebird-  Yeah a great late romantic piece.  The 'action' writing in the middle Katchai section was revolutionary at the time I believe.  And that ending, while I feel like I hear it a little too much, is one of the best endings in musical history, if not the best.

Okay, another Mozart, yeah always listenable, never memorable to me.

Beethoven 6 is a really nice listen.  I don't think any parts really stick out to me though.

Claire de Lune is magical, especially the orchestrated version.  Just like many other Debussy pieces, it makes you feel like you're floating along in a cloud.  Probably only my 3rd favorite Debussy (you can probably guess the other 2).

Offline Kilgore Trout

« Reply #170 on: November 07, 2015, 07:42:59 AM »
Probably only my 3rd favorite Debussy (you can probably guess the other 2).
Come on, Halloween is over, don't scare me like that :o.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's Top 50 "Classical" Works - ***11-12
« Reply #171 on: November 07, 2015, 07:20:51 PM »
12. Symphony #7 - Ludwig Von Beethoven (1812)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq9Gu5N42HQ

The entire symphony is grand, but one of my favorite pieces in all music (along with many) is the 2nd movement... so powerful... so emotional... even with the simplicity of it... how Beethoven took something so simple and made it so complex is why Beethoven is Beethoven.

11. Thomas Tallis - Spem in Alium (1570)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJDLQZWKWe8
(BTW the King's Singers... one of my impossible dreams is to sing with this group. There are other recordings of full choirs not overdubbing but I've always loved the King's Singers (I want to be that countertenor) so I chose this rendition)

Now THIS was revolutionary. 40 part vocal music. No lie. 40 parts. I've ALWAYS wanted to perform this piece. Hope I get to soon. Now, even though all 40 parts do get to sing together a few times during the song, it's actually 8 choirs of 5 voices and they play off each other throughout the first part of the song, going through all eight parts, eventually culminating in the middle of the piece (and then again at the end). There is somewhere an exhibit where this piece is performed in an art gallery using speakers... I want to say it's at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC.

And with that I've reached the top 10!!! Starting tomorrow (or when I get to posting it) I'll post only one piece at a time.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #172 on: November 08, 2015, 02:18:38 AM »
Big fan of both Beethoven symphonies listed recently. The Sixth is an oasis of calm amidst Beethoven's generally turbulent symphony cycle. For instance, the timpani only appear in the "Storm" movement (IV). The fifth movement has one of Beethoven's loveliest tunes, as the Shepherd gives thanks for surviving the storm. The symphony ends with a tranquil, contented feeling as the sun sets.

The Seventh is my No. 1 Beethoven symphony. The composer really puts the pedal down here, taking us on a thrill ride, particularly in the last two movements. Unusually, the work doesn't have a proper slow movement. The 2nd movement certainly has the solemnity required for it, but it's actually marked Allegretto. The scherzo (3rd movt.) is actually in 5 sections (ABABA) instead of the usual 3. Beethoven also did this with the 3rd movement of the Sixth Symphony. In fact, he plays a trick on the listener by starting to bring the B section back a third time, before 5 emphatic chords bring us home to F major.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #173 on: November 08, 2015, 02:00:46 PM »
Love the seventh.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #174 on: November 08, 2015, 02:36:05 PM »
Beethoven's 7th:  I mean, I can immediately identify all 4 movements upon hearing them, which is more than I can say for most symphonies.  And you can tell there's quality written all over them.  There's no fat to be trimmed.  It's excellent.  What's more, it was just pushing the art form so much at the time.  He was like the Beatles, lol.  But it just doesn't keep me coming back.

Tallis's Spem in Alium (don't think I ever knew how it was actually spelled as I think I only heard it said by radio announcers before) is a nice choral piece.  I like it, but never thought anything outstanding about it.  But great relaxing and inspiring music at the same time (for me anyway).