Author Topic: The Man in the High Castle  (Read 7816 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
The Man in the High Castle
« on: September 17, 2015, 07:43:19 AM »
I can't link a video as I am at work.

Has anyone heard of this new show starting in November? It's produced by Amazon. The show looks like America in the 50's had we not beaten the Germans. It looks really good!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Man in the High Castle
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 07:51:07 AM »
I watched the pilot the day amazon prime put it up last year, found it very poorly done for such a cool idea, but I'll check out the upcoming episodes to see where they take it.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 12:24:37 PM »
Sounds familiar.

Is it based on a book?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 12:58:44 PM »
Yep, heard the audiobook sometime around 2002.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 01:46:09 PM »
Sounds familiar.

Is it based on a book?

Yep, great book by Philip K. Dick. I'm really looking forward to this one.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 01:47:18 PM »
Sounds familiar.

Is it based on a book?

Yep, great book by Philip K. Dick.
That's it.

I hope they do a good job with it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 03:03:23 PM »
They don't so far, the pilot has been on amazon prime for a while and I just found out they have a second episode on there now so I'll probably check it out over the weekend, hopefully it gets better.

Offline adace

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 12:19:28 AM »
Just finished watching the first season and holy crap was that intense. Seriously, this is one of the best pieces of drama I've ever watched. Amazing story and incredible acting. Can't recommend this enough.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 06:41:56 AM »
Just started this a couple of weeks ago. Three episodes in and it's fantastic. Well deserving of all the hype.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 06:56:43 AM »
Oh yes. I watched it a few months ago, just a short time after it came out. It was absolutely awesome. I remember coming home from some trip at 8pm, when I was at around episode 4. I was really tired because I had slept only a few hours the night before, and then had a very straining day. I thought "okay, I'll just watch one more episode and then go to bed", and ended up watching everything in one sitting because I just couldn't stop watching. Went to bed at 3 a.m. that night :lol.

Anyway, great series. It did suffer a bit from the main characters being the least interesting characters (maybe except for the Nazi spy). And they did a great job of making every character, even the "bad guys", seem human, with very understandable motivations and their own problems (see Obergruppenführer Smith and his son, as well as the question of loyality).

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 07:17:16 AM »
I watched the first 3 episodes of this over the weekend. I dig it.

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 06:36:00 AM »
I finished watching it like a week back. Pretty solid overall. I like that it has a Twin Peak vibe, it mixes up that feeling of something strange happening with some soap opera and making it work really well. I also like the overall background, I think they're portraying both the Nazi and Japanese cultures extremely well and I love the fact that they're not at all shy with the Nazi stuff. I know some people might find it a little too strong or even offensive but I think it gives the show a much needed realism.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 06:40:54 AM »
Final watched the finale last night. I have no idea what's going on or where the films are coming from but what a great show. Can't wait for season 2!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2016, 02:14:29 AM »
Finally forced myself to finish the last few episodes, I had stopped somewhere around episode 6 or 7 since it was a series fuckin snooze fest for around 4 episodes in a row, but surely enough I loved the last 3 episodes, their pace was faster with little to no filler scenes. This would have worked better as a movie or two max, they dragged it out like crazy.
The Kempeitai detective and the trade minister were the only two good actors on the show IMO, Smith, Blake and whatshisface not-Brad-Pitt were mediocre. I've always liked Alexa Davalos from the Angel days so I enjoyed her.
Also I thought this was a series event type thing but since it's so different from the book they may milk it for longer, I'll check out season 2 when it comes out since this season ended on such a thrilling note.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 09:02:15 AM »
Just finished the first season... AWESOME!!!!!  LOVED the final scene.... :metal

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 08:09:51 AM »
I have just started this show.  I'm 4 episodes in.  Really liking it thus far.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 12:56:24 PM »
Anyone else catch season 2?

I thought it was excellent.  Can't wait for the third!

Offline krands85

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 02:15:49 PM »
Yeah, I really enjoyed it - definitely an improvement on the first season. Tagomi and Smith  :hefdaddy
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 07:57:56 AM »
LOVED the second season!  What an awesome show.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2017, 04:35:34 AM »
Half way through season 2. I'm really getting hooked now because of the confusion that has me baffled at the moment. Will finish up this weekend...Can't wait!! Great show! ;D

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 02:40:00 AM »
I'm half way as well. I've been taking long breaks from it though and it further confuses me as to what's going on :lol

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 07:51:33 AM »
Finished watching it a couple weeks back and I'm pleasantly surprised. I knew they were straying from the book and at some point that started bugging me but they've been doing a fantastic job at driving the story to new places.

*spoilers*
All of Joe's side story is pretty weak, obviously his dad is a very important part of the main plot but he's such an annoying character and most of his appearances seem like filler. I hope he doesn't have any part at all in season 3 though I doubt they'll just get rid of him after having so much to do with most of the important characters in the show.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 06:51:57 AM »
Finished season 2 last night. What a great show. I think it's interesting that I found my self rooting for Smith and Kido and hoping the resistance gets wiped out. Almost everyone in the resistance came off as total assholes. Smith is easily my favorite character on the show and my least favorite is Frank whom I hope is really dead. Going to be a long wait for season 3.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2017, 07:44:22 AM »
Bumpety bump time.

I've seen season 1, good but could have been better. It starts slow, it gains momentum in the last episodes, and the season finale is stellar and makes you root for Hitler. Kinda  :D (also, the final mindfuck with the trade minister is kinda cool)

It's a fascinating world the one they built, I like how they don't do big exposition dumbs and from random conversations you discover that Roosevelt was assassinated and Stalin was executed. They should have tightened the plot here and there but I'm glad to know there's a season 2.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2017, 10:36:30 AM »
Almost everyone in the resistance came off as total assholes.
It also now has three Cylons from Battlestar Galactica. COINCIDENCE?!

But yeah, great show. Only watched the two seasons recently, never checked it out before so caught up all in one go.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2018, 11:03:21 AM »
Started this series. Watched first two episodes last night. Interesting enough to keep me watching for now.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2018, 12:40:10 PM »
Started this series. Watched first two episodes last night. Interesting enough to keep me watching for now.

It's a slow burn. It will gain momentum as the episodes will go by, and by the end, you'll root for the last person you'd think you'd root for in this show!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2018, 07:05:51 AM »
Any word on when the new season starts?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2018, 07:25:46 AM »
Looked into it and there's seemingly no news about it. There will be a third seaason, but it's not announced when.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2018, 10:26:08 AM »
Finished the first season. I don't know what to think honestly. I really like the concept but for some reason it's falling short for me. For one thing, if I were Frank I'd have left Julianna high and dry by now. She's done nothing but screw him over time and time again. I don't care how good she is in the sack.....she ain't worth it. I can only deduce that their entire relationship has been a series of her apologies by the way she's treated him.

Obergruppenführer John Smith is the most interesting character thus far IMO. Not really sold on Joe Blake....I just think the casting was off on that one. I can't buy his character yet.

Like I said, it's an interesting show.....I reall WANT to like it but it hasn't grabbed me like most shows I'm in to do. I'm contemplating whether or not to dedicate the time to watching season 2 or not.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2018, 11:56:15 AM »
Obergruppenführer John Smith is the most interesting character thus far IMO. Not really sold on Joe Blake....I just think the casting was off on that one. I can't buy his character yet.

I agree on both counts.

But what I wanna know is: in the climax of the season finale, did you find yourself rooting for Hitler? 'cause I sure was  :biggrin: I mean, of course the dude can screw himself in reality and in every timeline he's ever existed, but with that chain of events unfolding, you can't help being team John Smith, and by association, being on team Hitler.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2018, 04:21:21 PM »

I agree on both counts.

But what I wanna know is: in the climax of the season finale, did you find yourself rooting for Hitler? 'cause I sure was  :biggrin: I mean, of course the dude can screw himself in reality and in every timeline he's ever existed, but with that chain of events unfolding, you can't help being team John Smith, and by association, being on team Hitler.

I guess by default I was rooting for him because I was on team John Smith.

I thought the reveal of the Trade Minister being able to ‘see’ other worlds was interesting. It really makes me thing that the timeline we are seeing and the story takes place in isn’t so much the ‘real’ timeline and all the films are ‘what if’s’....but it’s just one of countless timelines that ‘could have’ happened.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2018, 01:13:11 AM »
I've only seen the first season so I don't know how and when that will be explained, but yes, I think the films are all of different timelines and possible realities, and the one of the show is not an alternate one in the "We want to make an alternate history series" sense, but that the whole point is that there are many parallel universes and that ours can co-exist in the realm of the show.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2018, 02:26:16 AM »
The second season dives a lot further into that whole "alternate worlds" scenario. It's probably worth watching if that's what you found most interesting. There's probably at Least half an episode or more spent in other timelines in the second season (hope that's not to much of a Spoiler). I also liked it better than the first season, especially how everything came together in the finale.

Also, given the teaser for season 3, the whole alternate timelines thing is going to become even more relevant in season 3.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2018, 02:56:18 AM »
I haven't read the book but I know the premise and story of it, and I like that the show is really expanding on that element of it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.