Author Topic: Splitting long songs in movements.  (Read 988 times)

Offline Darkstarshades

Splitting long songs in movements.
« on: September 15, 2015, 09:40:17 PM »
So hey, I've been thinking about a few things lately...
The Count of Tuscany is the only epic that isn't split in named "movements". ANTR seems to have a more epic-like structure (taking the other DT 20+ songs as an example).

So, just for the sake of fun and the general dislike over ANTR, how would you name the parts of these songs if you were to be tasked of splitting them?
ANTR for example, I would split it in...
I: We were so innocent.
II: Beautiful Agony
III: Day after Day...

And TCOT.
I: Far Away from Home (Instrumental)
II: A Cannibal Curator
III: Could this be the end? (Instrumental)
IV: You're free to go

Dunno, any thoughts? Any other song you would name its specific parts? Or if you already have named for them (including funny ones) I would love to see it.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Splitting long songs in movements.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 04:01:41 PM »
Lines In The Sand
• i. Lines
• ii. In
• iii. The
• iv. Sand
• v. Reprise In The Sand.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 07:17:40 PM »
I find it interesting when you say to 'split up' into movements, because I'm guessing songs that have clearly defined movements are actually written that way, so it's not like they're being split up. The Count of Tuscany always felt like one of the most 'coherent' of these pieces and curiously doesn't have movements but then that's probably relatively subjective.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 07:30:48 PM »
That's why I stated "Named Movements". Because we don't know their names.
ANTR is much more changing than TCOT is.

I doubt that during their composition, they, at the beginning, say something like "Ok, let's split it into these parts". The ideas just flow by, but they keep it changing since it's impossible to make a long song with the same structure over and over and keep in interesting, for both the audience and the musicians themselves in both making and playing it.
And yea, TCOT is fairly consistent.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 07:36:18 PM »
Agreed, and yeah I don't think the same can be said for ANTR. It has some interesting transitions that do the trick, but I wouldn't exactly say it has good flow. Interestingly we've been calling that second section 'Beautiful Agony' since the song came out, but never identified the other 'parts'.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 02:34:31 AM »
I'm only really for it if you could audibly tell "okay, this section starts here at this specific point & ends here", like in Octavarium, Six Degrees or A Change Of Seasons for example. TCOT flows too naturally for me to really consider it in sections, which I think is why it wasn't broken down. That & it has a fairly simple structure: opening-verse/chorus part-quiet part-epic climax. It doesn't really warrant any breaking down because it's doesn't really need it to be properly understood. Same goes for ANTR too: the way I see it is in verse chorus, & I see the Beautiful Agony section as the bridge, followed by an extended string of solos, then the final chorus. ItPoE is the same way: you have your opening, the lead-in to the main section, the verse-chorus, a faster bridge, an instrumental section, & an epic climax in the form of a final verse & chorus.

So basically, my stance is that you should only break it down if it's very glaring & very necessary, otherwise don't bother.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。