Author Topic: BL5150 Roulette - Ghost Protocol......GRAND FINAL RESULTS  (Read 68596 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: BL5150 Roulette - Ghost Protocol......Round 1 Open For Submissions
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2015, 09:29:41 PM »
Alright!  Sent!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2015, 09:38:00 PM »
Thanks king - no big hurry for those that haven't sent at this point.  I will let you know when there is a deadline (still waiting for Shadow Ninja to close off his final round)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2015, 09:41:31 PM »
I've got the Ryche, Scorps concert tomorrow night then back to work with my boss there for half the week.  Back into the fire.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2015, 10:34:17 PM »
I'll submit mine tomorrow. I'm deciding between two or three right now. (I know what band I'm going to use; it's just a matter of what track...)

Most of my music I hear is on spotify so if I don't have the actual track (some I do), I know you said it was ok to use YouTube, right?
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2015, 10:41:41 PM »
I'll submit mine tomorrow. I'm deciding between two or three right now. (I know what band I'm going to use; it's just a matter of what track...)

Most of my music I hear is on spotify so if I don't have the actual track (some I do), I know you said it was ok to use YouTube, right?

music files I can manage into a playlist are first choice , but if that's not possible then Youtube is next best .  If I really feel the need I can likely spend 99c myself and get the mp3  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2015, 03:07:20 AM »
This is like trying to do a roulette for myself  :lol
Your op could have been written by me.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2015, 03:22:49 AM »

:tup  You should walk it in then  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2015, 03:45:15 AM »
Can I play for the first time ever?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2015, 04:00:39 AM »

All the good work you put into your Mangini thread should get you some slack for being late  ;D

Now that we have 12 , I will up the number through to the Grand Final to six.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2015, 04:17:27 AM »

music files I can manage into a playlist are first choice , but if that's not possible then Youtube is next best .  If I really feel the need I can likely spend 99c myself and get the mp3  ;D

I don't know how legit this site is, but I use this.

https://www.mp3va.com/
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2015, 04:22:16 AM »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2015, 04:23:56 AM »
Haha, and cheap as hell.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2015, 06:44:46 AM »

:tup  You should walk it in then  ;D

No, all the good stuff you already have and the stuff you don't have isn't worth having  :lol

Spent ages last might trying to put a list together to run by you but nothing really screamed 'pick me!'

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2015, 09:08:48 AM »
SENT

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2015, 09:22:20 AM »
Sending you something in a non-English language would be tough, no? :P

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2015, 09:31:36 AM »
Sending you something in a non-English language would be tough, no? :P

I only speak 15 languages - which one are you thinking of sending ?  ;D 

In theory I don't see a huge problem - I tend to place a lot less importance on lyrics than most on DTF and , aside from all time faves that are ingrained into my brain , I tend to only remember lyrics if they are really good or plain horrid.

Having said that I only have a few non-English albums in my collection.

Beyond that I find it hard to guide you further.  If I love it you may snag a half bonus point  :)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2015, 10:42:47 AM »
Thanks king - no big hurry for those that haven't sent at this point.  I will let you know when there is a deadline (still waiting for Shadow Ninja to close off his final round)

I just realised that Shadow Ninja's final round has already been going for a week or so and he has said it could be another week.  SLOWEST.................NINJA......................EVER :lol  Unless Mr Bolsters has any objection I think we might just get under way.

Songs due in by around Wednesday morning my time (AUS) , which would be Tuesday night US time.

I have 5 songs so far.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2015, 10:45:55 AM »
I'll send my list and my song tomorrow, I think.

Seeing how you don't mind the other languages, I may send some cheesy Russian power metal at one point. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2015, 03:27:31 PM »
I sent it to your email, let me know if you got it

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2015, 04:45:02 PM »
I sent it to your email, let me know if you got it

:tup

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2015, 05:07:24 PM »
Brent, serious question.  Why did you want to run a roulette?  You surely don't need to discover new music with the amount you have.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2015, 05:09:04 PM »
Brent, serious question.  Why did you want to run a roulette?  You surely don't need to discover new music with the amount you have.

To torture us  :biggrin:

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2015, 05:12:12 PM »
There are 4 bands in the history of rock music that he's never heard of. Good luck trying to figure them out

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2015, 05:21:05 PM »

He saw how great TAC's was and thought to himself, "but I'm way cooler than that guy!" :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2015, 05:55:51 PM »
 :rollin

Actually it was all part of a master plan that Chad developed to kick all your asses.  I kept coming up with reasons not to run a roulette and he persisted nagging me and as soon as I said "alright then" (6 months ago) he started preparing and sussing out what bands to send  ;D

I still discover new bands each week , but the strike rate ain't great...........in most cases I would do better to just listen to the classics but every now and then I stumble onto a ripper but the reward/hour spent ain't great.  I respect all you guys and your knowledge big time , so I figure I have a much better chance here than in my normal internet travels...........and if the first round so far is anything to go by it's a good chance for you guys to stage an intervention on the DTF faves.  It's a good chance for one last try at some of these bands with some guys who know my taste picking the tracks in a more informed way than my random sampling.

That and I wanted to taste the awesomeness of shellacking you all with some ratings :lol
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 06:06:58 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2015, 06:03:46 PM »
personally my roulette only has about 5% of the awesome that TAC's had, which is a bit disappointing, as I was shooting for 6%

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2015, 06:30:59 PM »
Actually it was all part of a master plan that Chad developed to kick all your asses. 

Still not sure I've honed in on much that is going to 'wow' you. 

Will type and send later tonight.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2015, 07:14:35 PM »
I just realised that Shadow Ninja's final round has already been going for a week or so and he has said it could be another week.  SLOWEST.................NINJA......................EVER :lol  Unless Mr Bolsters has any objection I think we might just get under way.
Go for it.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2015, 07:14:54 PM »
Well this is the best roulette I've ever participated in. :P

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2015, 08:08:11 PM »
Actually it was all part of a master plan that Chad developed to kick all your asses. 

I don't feel so bad now if you've been planning for this for a little while.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2015, 08:50:05 PM »
I am quite confident with my lineup of artists. (first-time-to-play high. wait for me to crash down to earth. LOL)

Since it's my first time to play, I would like to be clarified on some of the rules:

1. The rule about "Once an artist has been submitted it is banned for the rest of the roulette.", that applies only to the player who submitted, or to all the players?

2. With respect to #1, how about a "tribute" song to another artist. Would that count as a song of the artist being given tribute to?

3. For the prelim round, what if I get five high scores for all songs? ( I am so full of confidence.  :lol )  Still, only three would count? If I get three high scores early, then it would be better to slack off and reserve the songs for the regular round?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2015, 08:59:07 PM »
I am quite confident with my lineup of artists. (first-time-to-play high. wait for me to crash down to earth. LOL)

Since it's my first time to play, I would like to be clarified on some of the rules:

1. The rule about "Once an artist has been submitted it is banned for the rest of the roulette.", that applies only to the player who submitted, or to all the players?   

Applies to everyone.  So if TAC submits Blondie , then you guys are just going to have to deal with not being able to send Blondie for the rest of the roulette.    I will add a list of submitted artists at the bottom of the OP for people to refer to .  The only circumstance where I will accept more than one track is if two people submit the same artist in the same round.  Believe it or not that has already happened.

2. With respect to #1, how about a "tribute" song to another artist. Would that count as a song of the artist being given tribute to?

I would need more info.  If it is an original song written in tribute to another artist then no - that would not affect the artist who is being paid tribute.   I am not interested in receiving cover versions in tribute though.

3. For the prelim round, what if I get five high scores for all songs? ( I am so full of confidence.  :lol )  Still, only three would count? If I get three high scores early, then it would be better to slack off and reserve the songs for the regular round?

If you slam dunk the first three rounds then yes..........it might pay to hold back on what you see as your best material.  You are going to lose two of your 10/10's anyway  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2015, 09:17:58 PM »
I would send you cover versions in tribute then and I will break you for their awesomeness.  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: September 13, 2015, 09:20:39 PM »
I actually quite enjoy plenty of tribute covers , so maybe send me some anyway (outside of the roulette) .  But as far as roulettes go the general idea is original songs from official releases unless otherwise specified.  Otherwise people could just send me Van Halen and Ozzy covers and game over  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #104 on: September 13, 2015, 09:33:07 PM »

I don't feel so bad now if you've been planning for this for a little while.

Haven't been planning for too long. I sen t my first 'test' of artists back in May, just to test the waters.  I think I was about 50/50, and at that point I was digging fairly deep.  Otherwise, it was a final couple of lists over the last 2 weeks as we got close to the start of this.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion