Author Topic: BL5150 Roulette - Ghost Protocol......GRAND FINAL RESULTS  (Read 68629 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
BL5150 Roulette - Ghost Protocol......GRAND FINAL RESULTS
« on: September 10, 2015, 07:57:22 PM »

........................is to send me some kick ass music from albums I don't have in my collection

tl:dr version :  Anywhere from 5 to 10 participants wanted to send me some good shit.

PARTICIPANTS:

Bolsters
Evermind
jingle.boy
TAC
wolfking
Sacul
kingshmegland
splent
Big Hath
jjrock88
Lowdz
erwinrafael

Welcome folks and thanks for accepting your mission.  "Impossible" is the first thing that comes to mind for some (including me) when it comes to a BL5150 roulette...............hence the theme :)  And the fact that I can be a difficult bastard to impress.  :hat :angel:  If anyone can do it though , I know you guys can.

Long,boring post ahead.......just jump ahead to whatever section you need.

MY TASTE - OR LACK OF:

Tastes huh?.........so hard to judge .  Why is it that we share so much in terms of taste and yet I can’t hear the overwhelming brilliance of the latest Maiden or Opeth album and some other poor souls can't hear the brilliance of Winger, Poison and Nitro ?   It’s all very hard to fathom but I’m going to try and give you as much guidance as I can anyway.

1) Be Careful : Anything with harsh/growly vocals or in a genre that includes “core”,”death”,”math”,”modern”,”post”, rap,”ambient”,”neo””sludge”,punk .....or anything to do with gazing at shoes.  Just be very careful.   Chances are you’re going to be caned with the rating if I don’t like it but if you’re convinced you can win me over then go for it and you might just get a bonus in addition to your high score (later).   

2)AOR/melodic rock /classic rock: If anything my tastes have become a little heavier in recent times but I still love these styles when done well and am happy to receive anything from AOR/westcoast to the hardest melodic rock/hair metal.  Just make sure it has something to make it stand out as if there’s one genre where I’ve come close to hearing it all ,then this is it.   My collection is weak in terms of classic bands originating in the 60's-70’s like Led Zep ,The Eagles, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones etc....there is a reason for that (I like much less music from that era) but I do enjoy some of the hits from such bands so don't be shy about trying them if you think they can impress .

3) Hard rock/classic metal/power metal/thrash :  Go for it......  great melodies, some balls and nice guitars go a long way.  Just be aware with the power metal that generally I prefer riff based (slower) power metal to double kick drumathons.   Clever use of the double kick is great but the traditional happy one paced power metal wears thin very quick.  When it comes to thrash I want clean vocals and some melody.

4) Blues:   I don’t listen to much but I do like blues that rocks a la Gary Moore/Eric Clapton (some)/SRV in small doses.  I don’t really go for traditional blues in the style of BB King etc...

5) Classical: I basically never listen to it , although I did study it fairly extensively in my music studies.  I would rather listen to it than most of the stuff on the radio though. Happy for you to try.

6) Pop : It’s possible you may be able to sway me on some pop.  If you think I’ll like it ,then go for it. I never listen to anything that I’d call “pop” these days and didn’t get into too much back in the day either outside of radio.  Having said that there’s plenty of stuff by Phil Collins , Hall & Oates and the little Tears For Fears I know etc.... that I find quite listenable if there’s some catchy melodies.  I heard Against All Odds on the radio recently and thought to myself "That's pretty damn good." And Aussie pop rock band Noiseworks made my all time DTF Top 50 , much to a few people’s disgust :lol

7) Prog: I love prog metal , but only when melodic and with a structure that makes sense and goes somewhere.  Endless wankery without melody does nothing for me , nor does music that meanders around endlessly.  My fave DT albums by some way are Images and Words(close enough to my all time favourite album), Awake and the last two , if that helps.   Old style prog/neo prog I generally don’t like....most of it just makes me feel like it’s “there” and not going anywhere.  One poster on DTF in particular has mentioned a couple of neo prog bands that I really liked , so there is definitely hope.   Kingcrow is an example of a band that has managed to hit the bullseye with some of their stuff.

And if the 90’s classics thread is anything to go by –please don’t send anything that’s considered a 90’s classic ;D

FWIW my DTF top 50 included AOR (Chicago, Giant) , hard rock (Van Halen, KISS, Whitesnake, Skid Row), classic metal (Metal Church, Judas Priest, Ozzy, WASP, Savatage), power metal (Stratovarius) , prog metal (DT, Queensryche, SX, Labyrinth, Conception, Threshold) , classic rock (Doobie Brothers), instrumental guitar (Satriani), female fronted (After Forever) , pop rock (Noiseworks)........even Pink Floyd got a slot with A Momentary Lapse of Reason.   Although that all seems a bit one dimensional to some , that's hugely diversified taste to me  ;D 

BANNED ARTISTS/ALBUMS:    

I’ve tried , with little success, to think of a way to approach a banned list that covers my collection and doesn't become ridiculous.  Basically if I don’t have the ALBUM in my collection it is allowed.    I have already pre-approved a swag of artists with TAC, Bolsters and jingle.boy , so I am more than happy to do that for anyone that has similar taste to me and is worried about the risk of rejected submissions back and forward – it can save a lot of time.  Just send me a list of artists you’re thinking of using and I’ll respond with those I’ll allow and/or the albums I don’t have .

I think that'll work better than an infinitely long banned list  of artists where some albums may actually be accepted. If you're desperate then have a look at some of the other roulettes in recent times - I would say 90% of the artists submitted are news to me.  ;D 

Those of you that have less in common with my taste , just send away and we'll deal with any re-submissions as we go.

Once an artist has been submitted it is banned for the rest of the roulette.

FORMAT:

I would prefer to use email as I have been gifted a tiny PM inbox on DTF .  My email is BL5150 at westnet dot com dot au

For the music mp3 via email would be preferable but Youtube links are fine ,as are cloud account links.  I don't have a Spotify account or the like.

RULES/TACTICS

What I would like to do is to introduce some tactics into the equation, potential reward for risk and give those who’ve fallen behind a chance to stage a comeback with some ballsy play .   The following rules have been made with this in mind:

1) Rounds: There will be 11 rounds ,divided into 5 prelims , 5 regular competition rounds and a Grand Final. 

In order to allow you some room to experiment early on (especially those who may not know my taste as well as others) your three highest scores only from the prelim rounds will be carried forward to the regular competition rounds.   So feel free to really test the boundaries, get a feel for my preferences and go for a slam dunk in the prelims as you can afford two horror rounds in the first five without penalty.  There will be no such flexibility in Rounds 6 – 11.

The final 11th round will be contested by the Top 5 6 as at the end of Rd 10 and is a 20 min EP round – submit 18 to 20 mins of music made up however you like.........it could be a single epic or five 4 minute songs.

2) Scoring:  The basic scoring format will be a rating out of 10 (except Rd 11).  I have given a guide as to what the ratings mean below

3) Bonus : I reserve the right to add a half bonus point where someone pleasantly shocks me with something I deem to be “way out of my comfort zone” , so if you take a risk a score of 10.5 is possible .  These will be given out very sparingly (if at all) and require a base score of 8 or better for the track .

4) Themed Bonus : I have decided not to theme rounds , mostly because I reckon they disadvantage a portion of the players (translation:  they’ve cost me dearly in a roulette or two as a participant  :lol ) and can leave participants unable to send a lot of stuff they really wanted to.   As an alternative I have an OPTIONAL bonus point system related to a couple of areas that interest me – you can attract a bonus point for a submission that is either an instrumental or a song from one of the following "DTF faves" that have never done much for me from the songs I have sampled:

Tool
Devin Townsend/DTP
Spock’s Beard
Neal Morse
Ayreon and other Arjen stuff except Star One (which I do like a bit).
Pain Of Salvation
Riverside
Steve Wilson
Porcupine Tree
Rush (aside from stuff from Moving Pictures)
Opeth (aside from Damnation)
Amorphis
Anathema
The Dear Hunter
Coheed & Cambria
Destiny Potato
Sigur Ros
Oceansize
Tesseract
Haken
Genesis - nothing off their "The Hits" compilation (reserved for Tim   ;) )
Muse
Periphery
Leprous
Sun Caged
IQ
King Crimson
The Flower Kings
Geoff Tate  :neverusethis:

All of these artists are a risk but if you feel confident and think that the bonus point can make a difference then fire away.

(limit 2 bonus points per person during the roulette. And only one instrumental/ one DTF fave bonus point per person) 

This way ,if you are weak in instrumentals or don’t wish to take the risk on the DTF faves , then just keep submitting cool rock and metal or whatever.  A regular 9/10 will always beat a 6/10 + bonus point.   Let me know the tracks for which you wish to claim a bonus point.

5) The Winner : will have made the Top 5 after Round 10 and won the Grand Final with 20 mins of awesome. A life size cutout of my favourite Kip Winger photo will be up for grabs  - not in 3D as that could be dangerous. 

Scores will NOT be zeroed for the Grand Final as I don't want to diminish the efforts of the leaders to that point BUT Round 11 will be a score out of 20 , so there is potential for a big comeback if the leaders slack off in the "Granny".

RATINGS: (what is he thinking?)

2: Close to unlistenable (but I forced myself)

4: very few redeeming features and I struggled with the listen

6: Some redeeming qualities- decent enough song but I have no real desire to listen other than very occasionally

7.5: A really solid song that had me involved .  happy to hear it semi-regularly but not a stand out track

9: A great song that had me very involved and will be on regular rotation.  Not quite a classic

10: As for 9 but could grow to be an all time favourite/classic with more spins

All of the above descriptions relate to my opinion ,nothing more. 

QUESTIONS: Feel free to ask me questions about my taste in the thread only (not PM) so everyone can see a response.  I will not answer questions about specific bands , just general info.

Any band that is submitted becomes banned for the remainder of the roulette ,so get in early if you have concerns about being gazumped. If two people submit the same band for the same round then I will accept both - if it gets to a third then I will ask for another entry.  I am prepared to accept one extra round in advance at any time.  If you're away or otherwise tied up (hold back on the detail  :biggrin: ) then just let me know and we'll work something out.

I am in the middle of a whole lot of stuff at the moment myself (incl selling a house and moving) so apologies in advance if I slack off from time to time , but I will be aiming to get through at least a round every 4-5 days ( 3 per fortnight).

I won't start getting on your case or listening until Shadow Ninja has finished his roulette , so let's say that everyone has about a week to get some ideas together , ask questions and get cracking on Round 1...

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 07:53:23 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: BL5150 Roulette - Ghost Protocol...............5 spots remain
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 08:07:27 PM »
Got some work to do here.  I'll try and get a list up and running and send it through tonight Brent.  Sending something you don't know that's also quality is going to be a challenge for all, but let's do it. 

Most of my rips are wma, is that okay?

Would love to win that Kip Winger cut out too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 08:14:52 PM »
I'd like to play on this one. I know a pair of great obscure bands - expecting last place tho  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 08:18:01 PM »
I'd like to play on this one. I know a pair of great obscure bands - expecting last place tho  :lol

Glad to have you along Sacul.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 08:22:11 PM »

I think that'll be okay Kade - I don't use anything much but iTunes as a player but those will play in the native Windows Media Player i imagine.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: BL5150 Roulette - Ghost Protocol...............4 spots remain
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 08:24:24 PM »
Bleep it.

I'm in.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: BL5150 Roulette - Ghost Protocol...............3 spots remain
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 09:40:16 PM »

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 10:37:37 PM »
Well I'll do it because I want to try this before I actually do it  :lol
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 10:44:09 PM »

Done and good to have you on board.........I replied to your question on forum settings too btw.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: BL5150 Roulette - Ghost Protocol...............2 spots remain
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 10:53:22 PM »
jeez, I don't know if I could come up with 10 artists that would be of interest to you.  I mean, I could fill up your inbox with instrumentals, "DTF faves", and classical I suppose. :lol
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 11:09:13 PM »
jeez, I don't know if I could come up with 10 artists that would be of interest to you.  I mean, I could fill up your inbox with instrumentals, "DTF faves", and classical I suppose. :lol

Obviously I am hoping to discover new bands here but don't forget that I am happy to accept missing albums in my collection from artists of mutual interest..........a band named after a US state's transit authority for instance. Just let me know the bands you're thinking of and I'll give you the info you need, if that helps.

You will have no trouble mate.  ;)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 11:20:55 PM »
Put me in, coach. I'm ready to play.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: BL5150 Roulette - Ghost Protocol...............1 spots remains
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 11:22:47 PM »
Put me in, coach. I'm ready to play.

Great...........this lineup is looking fantastic.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: BL5150 Roulette - Ghost Protocol...............1 spot remains
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 11:26:59 PM »
Cool idea on prelims, I can send some songs I wasn't sure about.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 11:45:00 PM »
So where is the legendary banned list?  :P

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 11:49:17 PM »
So where is the legendary banned list?  :P

Look in the original post under the heading "BANNED ARTISTS/ALBUMS" where you'll find no list  :P :lol

I have well in excess of 2500 artists in my collection that should be on a banned list and in my opinion it's not practical.  Those who share a lot in common with my taste are pre-approving stuff.   I have been part of a few roulettes with you Sacul and I don't expect a lot of crossover in our collections , so just fire away and in the unlikely event that I already have the song/album in question then I will request a re-submission.

I know the Banned List can be a good indicator of the host's taste in music , which is why I put the extra time into the boring essay on my musical tastes.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 12:16:54 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2015, 12:27:52 AM »
I suppose I should address the topic of harsh vocals (and will update the OP).........in my collection I believe I have two discs with some degree of harsh vocals on songs that I really love  - that's something like 0.03% of my collection.   One is by the band After Forever where the harsh vocals are used sparingly enough that they fail to distract me from the brilliant Floor Jansen.   The other is an obscure Aussie thrash band where the guitars are that catchy that I hardly notice the vocals.

As a rule though - not a great idea.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2015, 02:23:08 AM »
This may be a grind, but I'll give it a shot

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2015, 02:25:35 AM »
No grinding while in this thread please.  And I hope you read what I said about growls jj - that'll cut your options right down  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2015, 02:31:19 AM »
No grinding while in this thread please.  And I hope you read what I said about growls jj - that'll cut your options right down  ;D

lol

There is as much of a chance in me sending you growls as there is me sending country, rap, pop, electronica, hip hop, trance (ie- not a chance)

Offline Lowdz

Re: BL5150 Roulette - Ghost Protocol......
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2015, 03:19:48 AM »
MIght be a complete waste of time as we have very similar tastes, and you go far deeper than even I have! I'll give it a go for the shits and giggles though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2015, 03:57:29 AM »
Awesome Paul.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2015, 04:57:51 AM »

You might've picked the worst one to join.

But it is a good idea to play in a couple to get the gist.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2015, 05:16:29 AM »
Following, cuz new music.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2015, 06:13:14 AM »
The other is an obscure Aussie thrash band where the guitars are that catchy that I hardly notice the vocals.

Do tell.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2015, 06:13:53 AM »
It's in your roulette playlist   :neverusethis:  :impatient:

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2015, 06:18:21 AM »
Well played sir.

Brent from the guys sending you a list to check over, were they big lists?  I could make a big one but seems like I should have done more homework more.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2015, 06:19:26 AM »

I think that'll be okay Kade - I don't use anything much but iTunes as a player but those will play in the native Windows Media Player i imagine.

itunes should convert them straight into it anyway I believe.  I can alter if there is an issue.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2015, 06:26:44 AM »
Well played sir.

Brent from the guys sending you a list to check over, were they big lists?  I could make a big one but seems like I should have done more homework more.

Don't worry about it - no banned list makes it harder (esp for those of us into many of the same bands) and this is how we're working around it. I can't remember numbers but it's likely >>50 artists I have checked out/ commented on for each of the others , so I'm not going to limit you within reason.   

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2015, 06:30:48 AM »
50 is cool, more than what I had in mind.  I'll email you something.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2015, 06:41:27 AM »
5) The Winner : will have made the Top 5 after Round 10 and won the Grand Final with 20 mins of awesome. A life size cutout of my favourite Kip Winger photo will be up for grabs  - not in 3D as that could be dangerous

I might have to rethink my participation then.  :neverusethis:

Seriously, I'm all over this like a cougar on a wounded chicken.

Question... if we send an instrumental from one of those 'bonus' bands, are two bonus points up for grabs?  Kinda joking, kinda serious.  Also, do we 'squat' on the band that we want to use now (and publicly), or just submit in Round 1 to make sure Ruslan doesn't cock-block me.  :lol

@ Kade... I sent a few queries over the last few weeks, maybe 10-20 bands each time.  I'm now working on a list of about 50-60 bands I know I can call from, and with the above information, I can find a few more from the 70s.  Diggin the format.

Beast of a group to compete against here.  Hope Splent's head doesn't explode.  :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2015, 06:45:04 AM »
Thanks Chad.  Just sent Brent about 55 bands at once looking through my library, and not confident I'll get many back.  If only you people could handle some man growls you'll make my job so much easier.  Still threatening to send some too.  Probably will have too.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2015, 06:45:13 AM »
My list was about 70 I think, though a lot were rejected and a bunch of others are last ditch kind of things that I'd rather not send at all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2015, 06:46:15 AM »
My list was about 70 I think, though a lot were rejected and a bunch of others are last ditch kind of things that I'd rather not send at all.

I know that well.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2015, 06:50:12 AM »
I still have a handful that I didn't check either, as I'll seriously shart myself if he knows them.  Then again, he's got Big House and Slik Toxik, so getting some Canadian Glam past his collection will be a feat.  Though, the band I have in mind wasn't much more than a bar band - though, a very well known Canadian melodic industry icon did contribute to and engineer their only studio album.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion