Author Topic: BL5150 Roulette - Ghost Protocol......GRAND FINAL RESULTS  (Read 69400 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: BL5150 Roulette - Ghost Protocol......Round 1 RESULTS , Rd 2 OPEN
« Reply #210 on: September 17, 2015, 06:12:52 AM »
I don't mean to sound like a dick Brent, it's your roulette and you run it any way you want, I respect that 100%.  It's my issue and I think I'm pissed at myself as it just feels like a wasted opportunity when I see favs like Primal Fear, Steve Vai and POS getting in there with the high scores.  And of course they should get high scores, they are amazing.

I think I'm frustrated at myself not reading between the lines and thinking I should be sending stuff you've never heard before.  My issue my good friend, I'm sorry if I've put a damper on it, never meant that.  Looking forward to getting back on the horse in round 2.  Ayreon is an acquired taste and I can fully understand them not clicking with you.

Saying that only one round in and I'm now a bit torn on how I tackle this.  I love a good challenge though.

Damn you for making me take this too seriously.  :rollin
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: September 17, 2015, 06:14:35 AM »
I had an inkling when I read your past dealings with A.C.T.  Well, time to man up and get a killer tune for the next round.

That was the risk we took with taking bands from the DTF fav list.  I just picked the wrong band, that's what's cut me.

It's like when you have a gut feeling on a football game, but change your mind at the last minute and then go with the crowd and your gut was in fact right.  Such an awful feeling in the stomach.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: September 17, 2015, 06:16:36 AM »
Don't forget you get to drop 2 rounds after Rd 5 - some of you took risks that didn't quite come off but that's why I made the rules the way I did......so you could stuff up a couple of times with no real penalty.

Shit....... even I wasn't expecting the lowest score to be a 7 - maybe I'm being too nice  ;D

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #213 on: September 17, 2015, 06:20:07 AM »
Primal Fear wasn't banned? How the fuck did I miss that? :facepalm:

They weren't banned but when Brent did a random summary of your basic power metal bands he stated he had two PF albums.  I stayed away simply because of that aspect.
I guess I just thought that they would be so far up his alley, that he would be a fan and they would be banned outright. Didn't even put them in my list that I sent. Oh well, you know what they say about assuming. :biggrin:

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #214 on: September 17, 2015, 06:24:27 AM »
Brent, I will send you a Rush song that you will enjoy that has vocals. It's not an entry for the round, it's in the interest of making you enjoy a song of theirs. Hahaha

Steve Vai is a calculated move to put myself in a good position. :) Yes, it sounds a bit like the Extremist stuff. Most of his stuff is in the "weird" category nowadays that harks to his Zappa roots, so it isnhard to come up with something harking to his old stuff.

Now it's time to hit that 10.  :rollin

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #215 on: September 17, 2015, 06:30:00 AM »
Half the World is shit... for us Rush fans that know the catalog, and are "Rush" fans.  I can totally see why it appeals to Brent though.  BTW, my Rush short list was La Villa, Dreamline, and Headlong Flight.

@ Kade...

@ Brent... totally fair writeup on those Ayreon tracks.

Nice mix of tunes we all submitted.  @ Paul... FUCK!  There goes Mystery from my short list.  :newman:  I figured the same as Bolsters vis-a-vis Primal Fear.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #216 on: September 17, 2015, 06:33:22 AM »
Don't forget you get to drop 2 rounds after Rd 5 - some of you took risks that didn't quite come off but that's why I made the rules the way I did......so you could stuff up a couple of times with no real penalty.

Taking full advantage of this in Round two!

Sent something that I was saving for jj's roulette! :lol

I dare Brent to not tap his foot.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #217 on: September 17, 2015, 06:36:05 AM »
I like Half The World, and Test For Echo in general rates pretty highly with me. But I am fully aware of the fact I'm an oddball Rush fan for saying that. :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: September 17, 2015, 06:36:36 AM »
Half the World is shit... for us Rush fans that know the catalog, and are "Rush" fans.  I can totally see why it appeals to Brent though.  BTW, my Rush short list was La Villa, Dreamline, and Headlong Flight.

@ Kade...

@ Brent... totally fair writeup on those Ayreon tracks.

Nice mix of tunes we all submitted.  @ Paul... FUCK!  There goes Mystery from my short list.  :newman:  I figured the same as Bolsters vis-a-vis Primal Fear.

I guess I can see how that Rush song would appeal too, but definitely one of their worst tracks.  I didn't even consider Rush from that list for some reason, went straight to Ayreon.  Was listening to the Human Equation again yesterday Chad and forgot how damn good it is.

Looks like we both were thinking the same way from our dismissal of Primal Fear.  Maybe time to chagne tactics.  No idea what the hell to do know haha.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #219 on: September 17, 2015, 06:39:36 AM »
I didn't consider Ayreon because I didn't think I'd be able to pick a song Brent would like much. Maybe Amazing Flight?

Anyway, I just read the rules and realised I only get one bonus point for an instrumental or DTF fave (I was thinking we could get one for each) so I don't think I will bother sending a DTF fave as I've got a killer instrumental lined up for later.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: September 17, 2015, 06:42:06 AM »
Fuck.

That's exactly my initial response to Tim's Rd 2 submission  :rollin   How the fuck am I going to rate this?    ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #221 on: September 17, 2015, 06:46:54 AM »
For you guys thinking, I posted this in the TAC Roulette.
It should be one of the Roulette Commandments!

And to show that I walk the walk, my Round 2 submission is devoid of any thought whatsoever! :lol

Fuck.

That's exactly my initial response to Tim's Rd 2 submission  :rollin   How the fuck am I going to rate this?    ;D

You're going to rate it with your heart. Your true heart. Your inner being will be exposed! But you're among friends. Surely we won't judge you.
But we WILL judge whoever finishes behind me in this round!! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #222 on: September 17, 2015, 06:48:56 AM »
You didn't send Animotion, did you?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #223 on: September 17, 2015, 06:50:51 AM »

:rollin

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: September 17, 2015, 06:52:44 AM »
I didn't consider Ayreon because I didn't think I'd be able to pick a song Brent would like much. Maybe Amazing Flight?

Anyway, I just read the rules and realised I only get one bonus point for an instrumental or DTF fave (I was thinking we could get one for each) so I don't think I will bother sending a DTF fave as I've got a killer instrumental lined up for later.

Wait... I missed that too.  I just thought if (like Tim) only one point was available if one song was BOTH a DTF Fave and instrumental.  But, only one bonus point available per player?  Brent... confirm please?  Not sure I'll take a chance on an instrumental if there's no bonus available.

Roulette submissions are a tricky heart/mind decision.  I went with my heart in Round 1, when my mind told me I should probably submit something else (Chaos perhaps, or Dawn of A Million Souls).

It's his obsession now.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #225 on: September 17, 2015, 06:57:22 AM »
Thanks to Chad, Animotion's sales have increased by 5 this week.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 07:02:27 AM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #226 on: September 17, 2015, 07:00:22 AM »
My understanding is that you could get a bonus point for an instrumental. And a separate bonus point for a DTF fave. You just can not get both for the same song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #227 on: September 17, 2015, 07:02:01 AM »
My understanding is that you could get a bonus point for an instrumental. And a separate bonus point for a DTF fave. You just can not get both for the same song.

Nope. I tried!!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: September 17, 2015, 07:03:27 AM »
From the OP

(limit 2 bonus points per person during the roulette. And only one instrumental/ one DTF fave bonus point per person) 

So yes - you get one bonus point (if you like) from each pool - DTF Faves and instrumentals.

Tim submitted a song that met both criteria so he can choose where his other bonus point comes from. I only smacked you down in that PM Tim because you wanted 2 bonus points for the one song in Round One when I had already said you couldn't.... :P
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 07:09:12 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #229 on: September 17, 2015, 07:03:44 AM »
Yes. Glad I submitted something different. I have a few ideas for next round.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #230 on: September 17, 2015, 07:09:23 AM »
I'm quite pleased with 8.5 for Mystery as I wasn't that impressed with them myself  :lol
Tried them early in case anyone else tried. Sampled loads of tracks and liked a few. I liked that riff and it was the reason I went for this track as their others seemed to meander a bit.

And I agree with Kade, some pretty obvious submissions there which I wouldn't have thought to try because they were obvious. Ah well, the game is afoot. I also agree with Kade that Half The World is shit. The whole album is shit in my opininon - the worst pre-hiatus Rush album including the debut.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #231 on: September 17, 2015, 07:13:56 AM »
So yes - you get one bonus point (if you like) from each pool - DTF Faves and instrumentals.
Fuck, I actually thought it was that way. But when you started marking off people who received bonuses, it made me think we might only be getting one, so re-read it and screwed myself up. :\

If you'll allow me Brent, I might change my Round 2 submission and send a fave before someone else claims it.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #232 on: September 17, 2015, 07:15:02 AM »
Fuck, I actually thought it was that way. But when you started marking off people who received bonuses, it made me think we might only be getting one, so re-read it and screwed myself up. :\

If you'll allow me Brent, I might change my Round 2 submission and send a fave before someone else claims it.

Touch move! :p

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: September 17, 2015, 07:15:32 AM »

Sorry if I confused things with those markers- my intent was to use a 2nd one for the second bonus point too so people could keep track.

Re-send if you like.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #234 on: September 17, 2015, 07:27:39 AM »
Last time a guy tried to use Bonus Points..er Secret Points, the roulette asploded!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: September 17, 2015, 07:34:24 AM »
Last time a guy tried to use Bonus Points..er Secret Points, the roulette asploded!

:rollin :rollin

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: September 17, 2015, 07:50:00 AM »
Half the World is a pretty good Rush tune, but would rank on the lower tier for me from the band

Glad you liked the PF song. That song is an absolute smoke show

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: September 17, 2015, 09:03:34 AM »
10,5 for one round? Oh hell yeah.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #238 on: September 17, 2015, 09:08:38 AM »
At least you got more than 3 points for that song this time.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: September 17, 2015, 09:21:25 AM »
10,5 for one round? Oh hell yeah.

Way to blow your wad right out of the gate!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #240 on: September 17, 2015, 09:28:35 AM »
It goes to 11.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: September 17, 2015, 09:30:09 AM »
It goes to 11.

Apparently 12 now.

Sent... for the second time.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #242 on: September 17, 2015, 09:49:26 AM »
i can't believe nobody has sent rush in my roulette yet
and yay for Iter Impius, definitely one of my favorite PoS songs.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #243 on: September 17, 2015, 09:56:58 AM »
Sent.

Let me know if you got it.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: September 17, 2015, 09:57:40 AM »

www.theguitardojo.com.au