Author Topic: Spock's Beard Discography thread  (Read 110149 times)

Online The Letter M

Re: Spock's Beard Discography thread - v. The First Twenty Years and Recap
« Reply #350 on: September 12, 2017, 10:01:51 AM »
I wonder what they'll end up doing with the Storytellers night of Morsefest 2016. My guess is that will be released on it's own at some point in the future, but I guess we'll see.

I've been wondering this as well, though I suspect it'll be a Radiant Records release through there store, perhaps not a wide-spread album, since it's not really the NMB or SB, or exactly FC or TA, it doesn't really "fit in" with any prior band's output.

Now I'm trying to figure out which part of my CD tower I should shelf this under - Spock's Beard (because it technically IS SB live), or Neal Morse (because it was at Morsefest and it's his music, more or less). On one hand, it's nice to see this get its own separate release and be billed as such, rather than released as part of a Morsefest 2016 package (like the last two sets were), but I'll just have to get over the idea that I won't have the last 3 Morsefest sets in matching packaging. Ah well...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #351 on: September 12, 2017, 08:39:59 PM »
Neal confirmed on twitter that a) the Snow release will include the encores from that night, and b) the material from the other night of Morsefest 2016 will be released later.  I could see it being packaged with this year's Morsefest.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #352 on: September 14, 2017, 05:18:53 AM »
That's a question: Is this an official Spock's Beard release, or is it Neal Morse feat. Spock's Beard?

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: September 14, 2017, 06:48:43 AM »
That's a question: Is this an official Spock's Beard release, or is it Neal Morse feat. Spock's Beard?

It's from MorseFest 2016, however that was SNOW in it's entirety with every single band member (current or past) being part of the show. 

So it's Neal's thing, but is first and foremost Spock's Beard material.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #354 on: November 25, 2017, 11:37:51 AM »
Nobody here already heard Snow live? I didn't see the DVD, but the audio version is really amazing! Great performance of the band, hard to believe it was the first one! Great mix and overall sound also!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #355 on: November 25, 2017, 11:39:41 AM »
Rich Mouser should record and mix a DT album!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #356 on: November 25, 2017, 12:24:59 PM »
I ordered the Art book version from Radiant and they were delayed. Still anxiously waiting for its arrival. Hoping sometime next week.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Mladen

« Reply #357 on: November 25, 2017, 12:40:59 PM »
I went to pick up the Snow DVD and I even held it in my hands, but at the last second I kind of convinced myself it was too expensive. I'll probably regret not buying it at some point.

Offline Dreammajesty

• mp.com refugee
« Reply #358 on: November 25, 2017, 01:29:12 PM »
Bought the blue vinyl here at the biggest cd and vinyl fair in Holland.Sounds awesome  stunning show !!

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #359 on: November 25, 2017, 03:27:28 PM »
Bought the blue vinyl here at the biggest cd and vinyl fair in Holland.Sounds awesome  stunning show !!

I don't understand why people buy only the audio version, tbh. It's a thing you have to WATCH!
Okay, still waiting till Christmas for my copy to arrive, but I already read some reviews saying the vibe is awesome (the stage not so much). I was at the Night of the Prog gig with a couple of thousand people - and that gig was the best I ever saw (and I've seen a looot). Too bad that one wasn't filmed for that release...
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #360 on: November 25, 2017, 04:47:32 PM »
I prefer a good concert vid (DVD, Blu-ray, etc) to a good live album if it's one of those that really puts me there in the concert and I really love the band.  Sure, it's a more immersive experience.  Snow Live sounds amazing.  But I rarely have time to sit and watch concerts these days, so I tend to get more mileage out of good live album.  I can listen to it over and over in the car during my commute as loudly as I want.  That's not a bad option either.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #361 on: November 30, 2017, 11:55:49 AM »
I prefer a good concert vid (DVD, Blu-ray, etc) to a good live album if it's one of those that really puts me there in the concert and I really love the band.  Sure, it's a more immersive experience.  Snow Live sounds amazing.  But I rarely have time to sit and watch concerts these days, so I tend to get more mileage out of good live album.  I can listen to it over and over in the car during my commute as loudly as I want.  That's not a bad option either.

This, I have watched most of my concert dvds only once, even if they are of stellar quality. But I regularly listen to my favorite live albums.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #362 on: February 28, 2018, 12:01:40 PM »
Spock's Beard will release their new album in may this year!

Spock’s Beard announce 13th studio album ‘Noise Floor’

Legendary US progressive rockers Spock’s Beard have announced the release of their 13th studio album ‘Noise Floor’ for 25th May 2018. As announced previously, for this album Ted Leonard, Alan Morse, Dave Meros & Ryo Okumoto are joined in the studio once again by drummer & original member Nick D’Virgilio, who records his first album with the band since 2010’s ‘X’.

Spock's Beard are a band who are in a continual state of evolution, as is always the case with genuinely creative musicians. And their new album, 'Noise Floor', fits perfectly into this process.
“We are always about evolution, not revolution. But what we have done this time is make the songs more melodic,” believes vocalist/guitarist Ted Leonard. “We still love our crazy prog, but now appreciate how important it is to grab people's attention early on.”

As with all Spock's Beard songs, most of the new album was written by the individual members, and then brought to the rest of the band as high quality demos. “We all do this type of thing in our home studios,” adds Leonard. “So, by the time they reach the stage where the entire band get to judge them, they are really developed, and therefore everyone can make a reasoned judgement.”
Much of what you will listen to here is very much the product of fresh inspiration from the Californian band.

One key change on this album sees the return of drummer Nick D'Virgilio, who originally left in 2011. There are also two violinists, a cello player, a viola player and an English horn featured on the album, thereby giving the sound a slightly more evocative and persuasive twist.

The album was once again engineered by long-time collaborator Rich Mouser and will be released as a 2CD digipak (featuring an EP of material from the same sessions), gatefold 2LP + 2CD & as digital download.
The track-listing is as follows:
Disc 1 – Noise Floor
1. To Breathe Another Day
2. What’s Become of Me
3. Somebody’s Home
4. Have We All Gone Crazy
5. So This Is Life
6. One So Wise
7. Box of Spiders
8. Beginnings

Disc 2 – Cutting Room Floor
1. Days We’ll Remember
2. Bulletproof
3. Vault
4. Armageddon Nervous

Look out for more information in the coming weeks!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #363 on: February 28, 2018, 12:21:07 PM »
Awesome! Loved Brief Nocturns, didn't like Oblivian Partical. Still plan on picking this up day one.

Also, finally watched the Snow Blu-Ray. Awesome show.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #364 on: February 28, 2018, 12:22:57 PM »
BNADS and The Oblivion Particle were pretty good, but I've been hyped for this release since it was first alluded to last year, especially with the return of NDV on drums for the album!

The track list looks good - 12 new songs from SB that have some SB-sounding titles, especially the punny "Armageddon Nervous" :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #365 on: February 28, 2018, 12:23:53 PM »
I'm seriously excited. So far the two records with Ted were great. I hope they can keep it up.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #366 on: February 28, 2018, 12:34:10 PM »
Color me excited.  Oblivion didn't grab me at first, but eventually I warmed up to it.  It's been a while since I spun it or BNADS... should rectify that today.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #367 on: February 28, 2018, 12:41:59 PM »
That is factually incorrect to say, "As with all Spock's Beard songs, most of the new album was written by the individual members," considering how many songs in the post-Neal were written by outside writers, but that aside, I am still looking forward to this.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #368 on: February 28, 2018, 12:45:26 PM »
I was keeping my fingers crossed for this news. Wonderful.  :tup

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #369 on: February 28, 2018, 12:51:44 PM »
That is factually incorrect to say, "As with all Spock's Beard songs, most of the new album was written by the individual members," considering how many songs in the post-Neal were written by outside writers, but that aside, I am still looking forward to this.

I think it's meant more in the line of: the songs weren't written by the group together in a rehearsal room but by individuals. The band then worked on far advanced demos.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #370 on: February 28, 2018, 01:18:39 PM »

I thought the same thing. I hope the band has more writing credits this time than on Oblivion. Although it shouldn't really matter to me as long as the music is good (which it is), it leaves the strange feeling that I would have liked it even better if it was completely written by the band.

Does anyone sense an early 80s feeling from the cover and name? I mean, Noise Floor? That almost sounds disco to me. I wouldn't mind, since Haken have already proven that 80s influences work pretty well with modern prog.
But the whole cover reminds me a bit of early 80s-Kansas (Audio Visions & Vinyl Confessions).

Anyway, I get the feeling that the band wants to become more modern and catchy with their music. Maybe try what Steven Wilson did.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #371 on: February 28, 2018, 02:02:17 PM »
Really exciting news! I can't wait! I wonder if we should consider the Disc 2 tracks as part of the main album or as bonus tracks, separate from the "symphony" that is the album.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: March 02, 2018, 04:35:28 AM »
What’s their label?

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #373 on: March 02, 2018, 04:39:56 AM »
What’s their label?

It has been InsideOUT. The press release doesn't specifically mention the label, which is highly unusual. But I've just checked IO's website and the statement is there, so I'm guessing they're still with them.

Offline DTA

« Reply #374 on: March 02, 2018, 05:53:15 AM »
I have been extremely satisfied with all of their output so far in both eras. They have not released a weak album yet and each disc has tons of stunning moments. So far, I've loved both Ted releases (and I think I'm one of the few who prefers Oblivion Particle), so Noise Floor is an automatic buy. The cover and album title has me intrigued.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #375 on: March 02, 2018, 06:50:39 AM »
This is effectively Spock's Beard's 5th "era", if every member change counts as an era.

1st: The Light
*Ryo joins*
2nd: Beware of Darkness to Snow
*Neal leaves, NDV takes over on vocals*
3rd: Feel Euphoria to X
*NDV leaves, Ted Leonard and Jimmy Keegan join*
4th: BNADS to The Oblivion Particle
*Jimmy leaves; NDV rejoins*
5th: Noise Floor to  ???

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #376 on: March 04, 2018, 03:19:34 AM »
Can't wait. Super band.  :)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #377 on: March 05, 2018, 03:15:15 PM »
This is effectively Spock's Beard's 5th "era", if every member change counts as an era.

1st: The Light
*Ryo joins*
2nd: Beware of Darkness to Snow
*Neal leaves, NDV takes over on vocals*
3rd: Feel Euphoria to X
*NDV leaves, Ted Leonard and Jimmy Keegan join*
4th: BNADS to The Oblivion Particle
*Jimmy leaves; NDV rejoins*
5th: Noise Floor to  ???

I think SB fans, and maybe prog fans in general, just discuss SB's "Eras" in terms of who the lead singer is, much in the same way as Genesis was - Gabriel-Era and Collins-Era, and the one-off Wilson-Era. If you counted every line-up change for Genesis in the same way, then there were technically 11 line-ups of Genesis, but you only ever really hear of the 3 listed above.

Not every line-up change is an era, and not every era should reflect a line-up change. It's more based on the lead vocalist and possibly even the lead writer(s) of each era. With the first six SB albums, Neal was that voice and writer, but once he left, the writing duties were split up between the remaining 4 members and 2 co-writers, with Nick singing lead. When Nick left, his music did, too, so the writing fell on the remaining 3 members, with new input from Jimmy and Ted, the latter of which was now the lead voice of the band. And so with Noise Floor, we still continue the third era of SB with Ted still singing lead vocals.

Side-note - good god, could you imagine how many "eras" there would be for bands like King Crimson or Yes?! It'd be a headache...and in the case of Yes, would a similar line-up be considered part of that era, or something new? For example, the Keys To Ascension studio songs were written by the same band that did Tales From Topographic Oceans, Going For The One, and Tormato, but they're clearly not the same era, despite being the same line-up.

-Marc.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #378 on: March 15, 2018, 03:06:44 PM »
Pre-orders are up in BurningShed. Here's updated tracklist info for the vinyl and CD.

https://burningshed.com/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=Noise%20floor&filter_sub_category=true

LP

A
1. To Breathe Another Day (5:38)
2. What Becomes of Me (6:11)
3. Somebody's Home (6:32)

B
1. Have We All Gone Crazy Yet (8:07)
2. So This Is Life (5:36)
3. One So Wise (6:58)

C
1. Box of Spiders (5:29)
2. Beginnings (7:25)

D
1. Days We'll Remember (4:15)
2. Bulletproof (4:41)
3. Vault (4:49)
4. Armageddon Nervous (3:32)

CD 1 - Noise Floor

1. To Breathe Another Day (5:38)
2. What Becomes of Me (6:11)
3. Somebody's Home (6:32)
4. Have We All Gone Crazy Yet (8:07)
5. So This Is Life (5:36)
6. One So Wise (6:58)
7. Box of Spiders (5:29)
8. Beginnings (7:25)

CD 2 - Cutting Room Floor EP

1. Days We'll Remember (4:15)
2. Bulletproof (4:41)
3. Vault (4:49)
4. Armageddon Nervous (3:32)

Looks to be 69:18 total in length, which is 3:10 longer than TOP (sans the bonus cover).

-Marc.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 03:14:40 PM by The Letter M »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #379 on: March 15, 2018, 05:28:16 PM »
Wow, only around 50 minutes for the proper CD.  That is short by today's standards. 

Online The Letter M

« Reply #380 on: March 15, 2018, 06:32:07 PM »
Wow, only around 50 minutes for the proper CD.  That is short by today's standards.

NF is 52:02, which is only 3:48 shorter than BNADS' 55:50 for its main album, and Octane was only 55:49.

For the curious, here are the album lengths for their past albums up to Feel Euphoria, not including bonus tracks/discs:
The Light - 57:03
Beware Of Darkness - 58:12
The Kindness Of Strangers - 56:35
Day For Night - 61:21
V - 62:59
Snow - 103:41 (Obviously their longest one)
Feel Euphoria - 63:53

NF is looking to be the band's shortest album to date, but by no means should that reflect upon the music, which I am hopeful will live up to the greatness of their last few albums! At least there's 17:16 of bonus tracks. I wonder what their thought processes were in B-Side'ing those pieces. I always thought that SB9 should have had a bit of trimming done, with the less-than-stellar tracks relegated to B-Side Status (much like Octane before it, and BNADS after, though the bonus tracks on BNADS are pretty enjoyable).

-Marc.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 06:56:55 PM by The Letter M »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Spock's Beard Discography thread - v. New album in 2018!!
« Reply #381 on: March 15, 2018, 07:13:35 PM »
I think some of the best songs from the BNADS sessions are from the bonus disc.  Then again, with the exception of Afterthoughts, I am a big fan of every song from both the main and bonus disc.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #382 on: March 16, 2018, 10:14:08 AM »
I think some of the best songs from the BNADS sessions are from the bonus disc.  Then again, with the exception of Afterthoughts, I am a big fan of every song from both the main and bonus disc.

I pretty much agree with all of that, though I do like Afterthoughts myself. Coming after X, it was going to be hard to make another knock-out album, but the band did it, and with a line-up change to boot! BNADS is probably in my top half of SB albums, while TOP is slightly near the middle - still good, but it didn't quite reach the same heights as BNADS. I do have high hopes for NF though, especially from the behind-the-scenes clips the band has posted over the last several months on Facebook!

-Marc.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #383 on: March 16, 2018, 12:02:03 PM »
I approve the length  :tup.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #384 on: March 16, 2018, 12:13:06 PM »
That's what she...