Author Topic: Honor Thy Father Keyboard Solo Appreciation Thread  (Read 1841 times)

Offline goo-goo

Honor Thy Father Keyboard Solo Appreciation Thread
« on: September 08, 2015, 04:50:27 PM »
Every time I listen to this solo, chills go up my spine and I get pumped. It's one of those solos that energizes me (listening to the solo on a plane doesn't help). This is probably in my top 3 DT-JR keyboard solos. The other ones that I like are the solos from Home, Misunderstood, and Blind Faith...

Offline Sycsa

Re: Honor Thy Father Keyboard Solo Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 05:33:56 PM »
If you're talking about the solo that starts at 6:23, then yeah, it's a tasteful melody with a warm sounding Moog-like lead. Come to think of it, it's really one of his best, most melodic solos (JR is not that great of a soloist in my opinion. He can hit high peaks, but most of his solos are simply not really memorable). It's a nice change of pace compared to the wah-wah drenched, sounds-way-too-much-like-shredding-on-a-guitar-lead he overused back then (case in point, second solo that starts at 8:13, yuck).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 05:40:49 PM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 06:18:48 PM »
Come to think of it, it's really one of his best, most melodic solos (JR is not that great of a soloist in my opinion. He can hit high peaks, but most of his solos are simply not really memorable). It's a nice change of pace compared to the wah-wah drenched, sounds-way-too-much-like-shredding-on-a-guitar-lead he overused back then (case in point, second solo that starts at 8:13, yuck).
I feel like the solos he used with that particular wah lead were almost always less musical than the other lead he used at that time (the one in Home, BF, etc). A lot of my favorite JR solos are from projects outside of DT such as Liquid Tension Experiment and his various solo projects. He can play stuff that's just as emotional as Petrucci when he wants to.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 07:09:00 PM »
If you're talking about the solo that starts at 6:23, then yeah, it's a tasteful melody with a warm sounding Moog-like lead. Come to think of it, it's really one of his best, most melodic solos (JR is not that great of a soloist in my opinion. He can hit high peaks, but most of his solos are simply not really memorable). It's a nice change of pace compared to the wah-wah drenched, sounds-way-too-much-like-shredding-on-a-guitar-lead he overused back then (case in point, second solo that starts at 8:13, yuck).

I'm talking about the one at around 8:21. LOL, the one with the wah guitar sounding solo.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 07:57:30 PM »
Yes, always love the solo in this song. In fact that whole 'bridge' section is straight out epic sounding. I often get chills listening to that part if I'm in the right mood and the musics cranked loud enough.  :metal

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 09:28:12 PM »
I love this solo, it's just so raw and wailing and fits the song perfectly. It's just badass. :metal
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 01:58:15 AM »
As I said before:

HTF is actually one of his best solos because it's so different and so over the top.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 05:40:10 AM »
The solo doesn't stand out in my mind as being particularly memorable in itself, however I am very much in favour of the idea of individual solos/sections of songs having their own threads. I would like to see more of these.

Offline Rickharris1011

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 01:36:08 PM »
HTF - terrible chorus.  Might be the worst in DT's catalog...but...the JR parts are all awesome - actually the whole rest of the song rocks and really shows his versatility.  So, yeah, I like the lead a lot.  Has anyone seen him do this live?  I picture him rocking his Key-tar whenever he plays this.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 02:29:12 PM »
HTF - terrible chorus.  Might be the worst in DT's catalog...
It's nothing special, but it doesn't stand out and bother me like the You Not Me chorus, for instance. How awesome is the "respect is not a one-way street" part though, with Jordan's organ cutting through James' great delivery.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 02:34:26 PM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 04:17:18 PM »
IMO - Jordan's leads stopped being memorable after Octavarium.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 04:18:22 PM »
EDIT - Actually I just thought of one post Octavarium I really like. That nice slow square wave sounding one on " This Is The Life ".

I think it's just before " Have You Ever Wished That You Were Someone Else ? "

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 06:00:17 PM »
HTF - terrible chorus.  Might be the worst in DT's catalog...
It's nothing special, but it doesn't stand out and bother me like the You Not Me chorus, for instance. How awesome is the "respect is not a one-way street" part though, with Jordan's organ cutting through James' great delivery.

But that's not the chorus.. The chorus is :

"How can you ever sleep a wink at night (...) Never in my life have I seen someone (...)"

Anyway, as I said in another thread, that one you mentioned is very similar to the TCoT's chorus.. So maybe that's what makes you think that is the chorus..

IMO - Jordan's leads stopped being memorable after Octavarium.

EDIT - Actually I just thought of one post Octavarium I really like. That nice slow square wave sounding one on " This Is The Life ".

I think you're right.. Besides TitL, he has the ones in LNF and BtS.. I really like those two.. But, in general, I guess I don't like very much the JR's solos he's done in DT.. But yeah... and his solos are totally absent in the latest album..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 08:20:58 AM »
*appreciates*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Enalya

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 07:16:17 AM »
*appreciates*

And I can't get over 5:02, SO POWER SO ENERGY

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 07:25:40 AM »
I love the insane build up to the break.. from the unison to "don't cross the crooked step". That's one of my favourite ever moments!

Offline Enalya

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 08:40:21 AM »
I love the insane build up to the break.. from the unison to "don't cross the crooked step". That's one of my favourite ever moments!

Yes, what I said above, the moment at 5:02  :metal

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2015, 10:50:28 AM »

Yes, what I said above, the moment at 5:02  :metal

:metal :hefdaddy

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 01:22:21 PM »
That used to be one of my favorite ToT moments, but that section just goes on for waaay too long, constantly the same.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2015, 02:13:21 PM »
That used to be one of my favorite ToT moments, but that section just goes on for waaay too long, constantly the same.

But that's precisely the goal and intended essence of that part.. Besides, it does get more dynamic with the spoken vocals and the JR's neat melody..

Anyway, at least I was worshiping the moment, not the entire section.. Those seconds totally rock.. The section is very nice, but not that great as the crooked step/break beginning fragment..