Author Topic: Why is every intersection not a rotary?  (Read 3660 times)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Why is every intersection not a rotary?
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2015, 10:27:19 PM »
Called "Traffic Circles" in California.  They're great, until one idiot without common sense turns it into a goat f%^k.  :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2015, 12:49:31 AM »
I think it's what we call "Kreisverkehr"

No one calls it that.  No one.

Well, there's at least 80 million germans and problably some austrians and swiss people that call it that.  ;)

And I remember some 20 to 25 years ago when the first roundabouts/rotaries/whatever were introduced in Germany, people had the same reservations and complaints like most have in this thread. Let me tell you, no one wants to have their intersection back once they have learned the advantages of a roundabout.

And the argument that it doesn't work because of dumb people is invalid because dumb people fuck up every traffic situation, it's because they are dumb.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2015, 01:01:28 AM »
was one of those was the salem four corners one?
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2015, 01:26:51 AM »
The roundabout at Clearwater Beach is a fucking disaster.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2015, 10:52:11 AM »
They already have rules for that though.  Although it appears some don't seem to get it.  It is more about being overly courteous or overly jerky when the real problems happen.
Rules don't cover everything, and nobody seems to agree on them anyway. Four way stops are an instance where coordinated social order is more important than the state vehicle code.

At an intersection controlled by stop signs in all directions, you must yield the right-of-way to…

•Another vehicle that has already come to a full stop at the intersection

A vehicle on your immediate right that has stopped at the intersection at the same time as you. Confusion can develop at four-way stop intersections.

-You should try to make eye contact with the drivers of other vehicles at the intersection to better judge their intentions and avoid accidents.
If you put it to a vote on this forum you'll get a pretty huge debate about which car constitutes the car on the right (strange but true). Moreover, nobody seems to know which rule applies first, so some people will be working the vehicle to the right angle and others will be going by who stopped first. That's why "-You should try to make eye contact with the drivers of other vehicles at the intersection to better judge their intentions and avoid accidents" is the important part and the gist of my "social order" remark. Strict following of your interpretation of the rules is nowhere near as important as being attentive to what everybody else is doing.

Sadly, your opinion that the rules are brief and simple enough that there's no excuse for not knowing them doesn't mean dick in the grand scheme of things.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2015, 10:59:55 AM »
Sometimes I want to marry you, Barto. And now we can. Let's do it.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2015, 11:07:22 AM »
No, fuck those things. Mostly because of what Barto said. People don't know what the fuck they're doing and are constantly pulling idiot moves.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2015, 11:11:46 AM »
They already have rules for that though.  Although it appears some don't seem to get it.  It is more about being overly courteous or overly jerky when the real problems happen.
Rules don't cover everything, and nobody seems to agree on them anyway. Four way stops are an instance where coordinated social order is more important than the state vehicle code.

At an intersection controlled by stop signs in all directions, you must yield the right-of-way to…

•Another vehicle that has already come to a full stop at the intersection

A vehicle on your immediate right that has stopped at the intersection at the same time as you. Confusion can develop at four-way stop intersections.

-You should try to make eye contact with the drivers of other vehicles at the intersection to better judge their intentions and avoid accidents.
If you put it to a vote on this forum you'll get a pretty huge debate about which car constitutes the car on the right (strange but true). Moreover, nobody seems to know which rule applies first, so some people will be working the vehicle to the right angle and others will be going by who stopped first. That's why "-You should try to make eye contact with the drivers of other vehicles at the intersection to better judge their intentions and avoid accidents" is the important part and the gist of my "social order" remark. Strict following of your interpretation of the rules is nowhere near as important as being attentive to what everybody else is doing.

Sadly, your opinion that the rules are brief and simple enough that there's no excuse for not knowing them doesn't mean dick in the grand scheme of things.

It's funny that you mention this and made me remember something that came up on my written driver's exam when I got my license.  There was a question that said "What is the best way to communicate with another driver?"  I forget the answers listed, but one was honk your horn, another was make a gesture to get eye contact.  I chose honk your horn which was the "wrong" answer, but upon further review they gave me the credit for that question.  There is no flat out answer with regards to human interaction between vehicles while driving because you are correct, driving conditions and "rules" sometimes can and need to be changed due to driving conditions and the people surrounding you.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2015, 12:21:42 PM »
I think it's what we call "Kreisverkehr"

No one calls it that.  No one.

Well, there's at least 80 million germans and problably some austrians and swiss people that call it that.  ;)

And I remember some 20 to 25 years ago when the first roundabouts/rotaries/whatever were introduced in Germany, people had the same reservations and complaints like most have in this thread. Let me tell you, no one wants to have their intersection back once they have learned the advantages of a roundabout.

And the argument that it doesn't work because of dumb people is invalid because dumb people fuck up every traffic situation, it's because they are dumb.

I am part Austrian (1/4 on my Mom's side), so I understand.  It was more a joke at the expense of the word itself.  If I offended, I apologize.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2015, 12:23:32 PM »
How are you supposed to make eye contact when you have to adjust your radio and text your buds to order that beer for you, because you'll be there in ten?  Rules have to be realistic, after all.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2015, 12:29:10 PM »
Not until all white, heterosexual, long-haired, long-bearded, atheist, libertarian, Maiden and Patriot fans can marry. We can dream, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2015, 02:56:12 PM »
Not until all white, heterosexual, long-haired, long-bearded, atheist, libertarian, Maiden and Patriot fans can marry. We can dream, though.

Man a lot of people hate you in America. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2015, 02:58:41 PM »
I thought Joe was going to ask for a 3 way!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2015, 03:07:37 PM »
I do have that charisma.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2015, 04:01:50 PM »
I do have that charisma.

What is maaaa
Charismaaaaaa
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2015, 04:15:12 PM »
The only problem is the people who stop at them.    They see that "yield" sign and they think that you can't enter the circle until it's empty.   Freakin MORONS.     I actually had someone get really ticked off at me when I slipped in between two cars (exactly what you're supposed to do at a roundabout) without stopping.   

Even my kids driving instructor was teaching the entire class to treat it like the gears of a wheel.    You slide in between the "cogs"....   But I honestly don't think most people are ever going to get it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2015, 04:19:52 PM »
I love the roundabouts I have encountered.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2015, 12:18:45 AM »
I am part Austrian (1/4 on my Mom's side), so I understand.  It was more a joke at the expense of the word itself.  If I offended, I apologize.

No problem here, my answer wasn't meant to be that serious either.  ;)

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2015, 12:38:56 AM »
I love roundabouts. We have 2 of them on my property at work (ok.. just off the property but they are both visible on our CCTV system. What I have found though is that people are morons who do not understand the concept. I have seen countless close calls... a lot of them would have been head on collisions.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2015, 06:43:50 AM »
From England.

Many Roundabouts.

Roundabouts = good.

/thread

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2015, 06:44:36 PM »
The only problem is the people who stop at them.    They see that "yield" sign and they think that you can't enter the circle until it's empty.   Freakin MORONS.     I actually had someone get really ticked off at me when I slipped in between two cars (exactly what you're supposed to do at a roundabout) without stopping.   

Even my kids driving instructor was teaching the entire class to treat it like the gears of a wheel.    You slide in between the "cogs"....   But I honestly don't think most people are ever going to get it.

I never do that because my philosophy while driving is "everyone else is a bad driver and isn't paying attention". I've overly cautious but within reason mainly because I do not trust anyone on the road.

Calvin6s

« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2015, 06:56:32 PM »
I never do that because my philosophy while driving is "everyone else is a bad driver and isn't paying attention". I've overly cautious but within reason mainly because I do not trust anyone on the road.
Defensive driving.  I figured that was the suggestion for every single driving rule as taught when I was getting my driver's license. 
It doesn't negate any rule nor make any rule less clear.  Seems like that might not be the case.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2015, 11:58:23 PM »
The Netherlands is full of them, especially on large intersection in big cities and in rural areas.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2015, 06:44:49 AM »
Went through the roundabout in Dupont Circle in Washington DC this weekend, man was that a shit show of no one knowing where to go.  Granted that is a larger roundabout with more than 4 exits

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dupont+Circle,+Washington,+DC/@38.9096044,-77.0433941,308m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x89b7b7c5d741b8af:0x2ebd3e79025f91b2!6m1!1e1