Author Topic: What is the most recent classic riff?  (Read 6849 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
What is the most recent classic riff?
« on: August 31, 2015, 10:21:14 PM »
I was talking to a friend this evening and I made a comment how I could play most classic riffs even though I'm a complete hack, and it got us thinking, "What is the last 'classic riff' that most people could identify.  I was trying to stick to mainstream stuff, and the most recent one I could think of is the "Enter Sandman" riff.  Most people recognize that one.  Can anyone think of anything more recent and almost as big as that one?  My drifting away from mainstream probably hurts my knowledge base on this, and I really don't want to believe nothing more memorable has been made in the 24 years since (as a commentary on the state of music, not the riff.  I love that riff).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: What is the most recent classic riff?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 10:39:29 PM »
I can think of a couple of reasons. Anything too recent is hard to classify as classic yet (say, under 20 years), and rock isn't as popular as it was before the 1990s, so it's harder for a song to be widely known enough to be as universally recognized, or have the longevity.

I'm sure there are some one hit wonders during the '90s that have fairly recognizable riffs, but I'm not sure if they'd ever be considered "classic" riffs.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 10:48:34 PM »
I agree with Blob.  And, sadly... I hate to admit it, but Smells Like Teen Spirit is newer than Enter Sandman.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 11:01:09 PM »
I agree with Blob.  And, sadly... I hate to admit it, but Smells Like Teen Spirit is newer than Enter Sandman.

I was going to mention that one, but wasn't sure if it was any newer given that they were released in the same year, and also because it would have made me feel dirty.

Well, dirtier than usual.

Offline 425

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 11:03:04 PM »
Yes, unfortunately, that one was my first thought as well. Can't really think of anything that ubiquitous since.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 11:25:46 PM »
Seven Nation Army?

Calvin6s

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 12:37:36 AM »
Linkin Park - One Step Closer

I would have said In The End, but One Step Closer is more riff oriented

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 12:52:25 AM »
If we were talking about Linkin Park, I would have totally thought it would be Numb regarding this subject.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 02:28:11 AM »
I wouldn't say Linkin Park. I used to like them once (when I was twelve), but I can't recall a single thing from them, let aline that a complete music noob could.

Seven Nation Army?

This, definitely. The riff has been beaten to death, even in electronic music and the likes. Everybody knows this one. However, it feels odd to me at least to call this a 'classic' riff, mainly because it's fairly recent. It's from 2003, though I think we could even find something more recent, but I'm not sure. I can't think of anything (guitar driven at least!) that has had the same impact since.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 02:40:47 AM »
I just checked out that Seven Nation Army song on Youtube, and have never heard it before.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 02:43:10 AM »
Seven Nation Army?

This is the first one I thought of too. Fans are singing it on sport stadiums around the world etc.

And that Blob hasn't heard it doesn't stop it from being considered a classic ;)
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 02:58:16 AM »

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 03:40:17 AM »
I just checked out that Seven Nation Army song on Youtube, and have never heard it before.

But did you recognize the riff when you heard it? It's being sung at parties and sports events all around the world, with most people not knowing that's even coming out of a rock song.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 03:56:33 AM »
Never mind, I must have checked the wrong song entirely in the video I clicked, because I just checked out a different video and I did recognize it (although I guarantee not from a party or sports event). Carry on. :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 04:41:10 AM »
I don't know anything by The White Stripes except that riff.  Good call.

Classic might have been the wrong word choice, but I think most of you got what I meant.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 04:41:14 AM »
Never mind, I must have checked the wrong song entirely in the video I clicked, because I just checked out a different video and I did recognize it (although I guarantee not from a party or sports event). Carry on. :lol

Oh okay then :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 05:42:11 AM »
Maybe something from Green Day?

That White Stripes one is a great call.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 06:08:55 AM »

American Idiot comes to mind.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2015, 06:11:26 AM »
Yeah, I think that's the one I'm thinking of.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2015, 06:26:54 AM »
The end of Knights of Cydonia. 

Yeah, yeah, everybody doesn't know it, but so what? :lol

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2015, 06:27:59 AM »
I've always thought No One Knows by Queens of The Stone Age had a great main riff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2015, 06:56:13 AM »

I'm with you.  Once you say "White Stripes" or "Hack White", it's pretty much a given I haven't heard it (and I do listen to modern music a fair amount in the car on Sirius Satellite Radio).

My vote was already tendered in the very first post:  "Enter Sandman".   I was watching "Later... with Jools Holland" and mostly that show is a bunch of arty pretentious douches, but they had Metallica on, and it was amazing to watch when the camera panned around the other artists:  EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM sat or stood, clapping and singing along to Metallica playing "Enter Sandman".  (I think Kings of Leon, Nicole Atkins, Carla Bruni, and Paul McCartney/Youth were the other acts).   And they DESTROYED it.   It was so good.  Even my 14 year old daughter commented something to the effect of "Uh, dad, so... do you have that on CD anywhere?"   The only other time I got a vibe like that was when U2 played SNL and after the regular two songs, they came back out and played over the credits (and by all accounts put on a three-song "mini concert" after the show).   

One of the reasons I love music; how it can bring people together so unexpectedly.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2015, 08:42:33 AM »
If only talking about 00's mainstream stuff:

Take Me Out, Plug in Baby, Reptilia, American Idiot, Seven Nation Army, No One Knows.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2015, 12:09:58 PM »

I'm with you.  Once you say "White Stripes" or "Hack White", it's pretty much a given I haven't heard it (and I do listen to modern music a fair amount in the car on Sirius Satellite Radio).

My vote was already tendered in the very first post:  "Enter Sandman".   I was watching "Later... with Jools Holland" and mostly that show is a bunch of arty pretentious douches, but they had Metallica on, and it was amazing to watch when the camera panned around the other artists:  EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM sat or stood, clapping and singing along to Metallica playing "Enter Sandman".  (I think Kings of Leon, Nicole Atkins, Carla Bruni, and Paul McCartney/Youth were the other acts).   And they DESTROYED it.   It was so good.  Even my 14 year old daughter commented something to the effect of "Uh, dad, so... do you have that on CD anywhere?"   The only other time I got a vibe like that was when U2 played SNL and after the regular two songs, they came back out and played over the credits (and by all accounts put on a three-song "mini concert" after the show).   

One of the reasons I love music; how it can bring people together so unexpectedly.

One day her kids will be like " Mum - do you have any metallica CDs ? "

And she'll be all " No but I might have the mp3s on a hard drive in the loft somewhere... "

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2015, 12:29:45 PM »
Seven Nation Army?
First thing I thought of.

Hell, my daughter's marching band was playing that as in-stadium music during football games 4 years ago.  You can't get away from it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2015, 12:42:57 PM »
Is it bad that I've never heard the Enter Sandman riff nor the song until a few minutes ago? :P

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2015, 12:49:52 PM »
Is it bad that I've never heard the Enter Sandman riff nor the song until a few minutes ago? :P
Not to make a mountain out of a molehill or anything, but fuck yes, it's bad.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2015, 01:27:39 PM »

American Idiot comes to mind.

Your guys' avatars are confusing the shit out of me!  I don't know who is who AND I now have a massive boner which is also confusing. 

Jesus wtf is wrong with you Lucas.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2015, 01:34:10 PM »
 :lol  I'll go back to my old avatar after TAC roullete ends.

I wonder if the death of radio has something to do with it.  Let me explain.

Radio dominated how you got all your new rock songs.  You heard them a million times.  Then classic rock stations popped up and you heard those same iconic riffs over and over.

Now you don't really here much new rock on radio anymore. Mostly classic rock still so you don't hear the riffs over an over and they don't seem as iconic since we are not beaten over the head again and again.

I'm wondering if that has any influence in us not coming up with many riffs for the newer rock songs and how we go to Enter Sandman and Smells Like Teen Spirit since you saw them on MTV over and over and now, not so much.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2015, 01:37:06 PM »
Ah, i thought it was only about 00's...

There is Smells like Teen Spirit, Song 2 (Blur), Enjoy the Silence and Personal Jesus (Depeche Mode), Symphony of Destruction, Thunderstruck, Here Comes Your Man (Pixies), Black or White...

Shit, there is tons of them but these are the ones that came to my head for now.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2015, 01:40:49 PM »
Duhh ! It's THIS Obviously :neverusethis:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2015, 01:41:16 PM »

There is Smells like Teen Spirit, Song 2 (Blur), Enjoy the Silence and Personal Jesus (Depeche Mode), Symphony of Destruction, Thunderstruck, Here Comes Your Man (Pixies), Black or White...

Shit, there is tons of them but these are the ones that came to my head for now.

Definitely Song 2. That's a guitar shop riff that is.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2015, 01:44:38 PM »
Yeah, Song 2 is in my brain forever.

WHOOOOOOWHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2015, 04:41:35 PM »

Thunderstruck is pretty well known.  State side, I don't know if Song 2 or Pixies would be well known enough.  Sure they have cult followings, but I don't think they would be as recognizable as some of the others mentioned.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2015, 04:43:48 PM »
i only know enter sandman (or really 90% of the metallica i know) because of the guitar hero metallica game, so  :P