Author Topic: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Final Results - no more mind games  (Read 80527 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Rd 6 finished.... and scores posted.
« Reply #910 on: October 23, 2015, 09:35:38 PM »
Sent.

Shall be interesting to see if you complete your epic comeback!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #911 on: October 23, 2015, 11:12:07 PM »
Sent something that I'm quite fond of. Whole album is something special, I think, but I went for the most ballad-y song I've submitted so far in the roulette.

Hopefully you'll like it a lot and the top two will drop the ball this round. I'd love a shot at the finals no matter what, but a little less distance from the top two would be nice as well, if that's not asking for too much  :laugh:
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #912 on: October 23, 2015, 11:23:05 PM »
Sent something that I'm quite fond of. Whole album is something special, I think, but I went for the most ballad-y song I've submitted so far in the roulette.

Hopefully you'll like it a lot and the top two will drop the ball this round. I'd love a shot at the finals no matter what, but a little less distance from the top two would be nice as well, if that's not asking for too much  :laugh:

watch your 6, bub
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #913 on: October 24, 2015, 05:54:50 AM »
I'll take that  :)     I should have placed a bet on two songs featuring the singer from Black Fate being submitted.........would've got some good odds.

I have about half an hour to myself during this 36 hr window - will get you something one way or another. 
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #914 on: October 24, 2015, 06:12:17 AM »
Sorry to be putting the pressure on.  This round is gonna be an extended one.  With this business trip, I'm not sure how many chances I'll get to listen to the music between now and Thursday.  Then I'm going away again next weekend (Fri-Sun) to attend a wedding in New Mexico.  My hope is that I can get results up on Thursday, give the finalists until Sunday to put their final 30 minutes together, then I'm traveling again on Monday the 2nd.  I think I'm gonna see my kids for a total of 6 hours in the next 2 weeks.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #915 on: October 24, 2015, 09:27:20 AM »

watch your 6, bub

I'd be happy if you beat me by a single point this round so we could both move on. Just be gentle and leave it at that.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #916 on: October 24, 2015, 11:51:17 AM »

watch your 6, bub

I'd be happy if you beat me by a single point this round so we could both move on. Just be gentle and leave it at that.

:tup
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #917 on: October 24, 2015, 12:33:24 PM »

watch your 6, bub

There will be no shennanigans.  All scores will be earned and evaluated honestly.

I'll take that  :)     I should have placed a bet on two songs featuring the singer from Black Fate being submitted.........would've got some good odds.

I didn't even do the investigation to see that Vasilis Georgiou is the vocalist for both Black Fate and The Chronicles Project.  Guess that's why they both sounded like Roy Khan!!  :lol

Offline Lowdz

Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Rd 7 ... you guys are FAST!!! :tup:
« Reply #918 on: October 24, 2015, 12:45:12 PM »
In the continued absence of the great Khan he will most certainly do.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #919 on: October 24, 2015, 02:25:03 PM »
In the continued absence of the great Khan he will most certainly do.

No shit!  Gonna have to make note of his other projects - Innosense, Victims Reborn, and Sunburst.  Anybody know anything about those?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #920 on: October 24, 2015, 02:50:07 PM »

watch your 6, bub

The only problem you guys got you're going to be tied at 4th place and you both will be able to move on indeed. Third is all mine now with that song.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #921 on: October 24, 2015, 09:21:01 PM »
They are guys, of course them came quickly.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #922 on: October 25, 2015, 05:23:20 AM »
I had a feeling you would go for MR this roulette Paul  ;)   I had This Lonely Road lined up early on but thought I would leave it for you   :-*

Lots of my favourite artists appearing on Chad's last.fm this round (including a couple I considered for this very round) - should be interesting  .
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 05:29:22 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #923 on: October 25, 2015, 11:01:11 AM »
I had a feeling you would go for MR this roulette Paul  ;)   I had This Lonely Road lined up early on but thought I would leave it for you   :-*

Lots of my favourite artists appearing on Chad's last.fm this round (including a couple I considered for this very round) - should be interesting  .

:tup

Was gutted I didn't get it through yours. Haven't checked the competition in advance of results for the last few rounds

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Rd 7 - the home stretch... what's happening
« Reply #924 on: October 27, 2015, 10:59:13 PM »
Had to save myself from page 2.  So here's the dealio...

Round 7 results will be up sometime on Thursday.  The finalists will be named, and have until Sunday night to put together their final submission.  I'm going to New Mexico for the weekend (mrs.jingle's cousin is getting married), so I'm going to start listening of final round Monday Nov 2nd - when I'm traveling to Phoenix for the week.  My intent is to provide the finalists with their "grade" as I mentioned a while back, as to how the ultimate winner will be determined:

1/3 of total score - 'grade' for rounds 1-7
2/3 of total score - 'grade' for the finals

I also intend to provide everyone's full scoring summaries - how all of your songs did for each of you, and how the songs scored (out of a % scale) round by round.

Not sure when the winner will be announced, likely sometime the weekend of the 7/8.

Another good crop of songs this time around - four crackers; six solid tracks, and one outlier.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #925 on: October 27, 2015, 11:22:59 PM »
Man, didn't realise we were so close to the end.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #926 on: October 27, 2015, 11:25:39 PM »
Another good crop of songs this time around - four crackers; six solid tracks, and one outlier.
:footloose:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #927 on: October 27, 2015, 11:26:04 PM »
 :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #928 on: October 28, 2015, 12:08:25 AM »
:footloose:

At least you know which grouping you fall under.

Some thoughts at the moment:

Damn those screams!  Great drum fills too.  The more I listened, the more I liked this one.
Overall though, it was fairly standard AOR, leaning towards the heavy-ish side.  I couldn't put my finger on why the vocals sound so familiar.
Something about the vocals that didn't click with me - it just sounded like he was struggling to hit some of the high notes.
AOR if there ever was AOR.  Why does this vocalist sound so damned familiar?
Of course the guitar work is top shelf.  Production was clean, and this one improved with every listen
Righteous solo, and the drum melody exiting it was the tits
Very nice solo… close to shredding, but not quite.
So, as I’m listening to the intro, I’m very intrigued, and I’m thinking “Please don’t be David’s song; please don’t be David’s song; please don’t be David’s song…. Ah fuck, it’s David’s song”. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #929 on: October 28, 2015, 12:22:14 AM »
Couple of those could be mine I guess.  I did use my tag team too but both were pretty safe and decent enough.

You're up late Chad.  If my time zone knowledge is right, which it probably isn't. hahaha

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #930 on: October 28, 2015, 12:24:33 AM »
So, as I’m listening to the intro, I’m very intrigued, and I’m thinking “Please don’t be David’s song; please don’t be David’s song; please don’t be David’s song…. Ah fuck, it’s David’s song”.
I could have chosen a better song from that album. I mean it wouldn't have done much better, but still.

I sent my EP aswell. Female-fronted symphonic metal, incase you were worried. :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #931 on: October 28, 2015, 12:31:59 AM »
No idea if I am in there but there are familiar vocalists all over the place it seems.  At a guess (based off last.fm) we're talking Urban Breed and Michael Bormann (Silent Force).  Although the Urban Breed wouldn't be AOR.  I dunno.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #932 on: October 28, 2015, 05:13:17 AM »
Almost there!

I don't think my submission is among the teasers.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #933 on: October 28, 2015, 06:01:07 AM »
Going through some music for my final 30 minutes and I don't know why I was talking shit that I would have no music.  Still finding lots of decent stuff that I think Chad might like. 

My 30 EP thingy won't have any sort of trend or theme though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #934 on: October 28, 2015, 06:03:23 AM »
I have an EP ready to go. I just hope I get a chance to use it. Perhaps I should be granted one of those "Get Out Of Jail Free" cards he referenced in the OP.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #935 on: October 28, 2015, 06:23:55 AM »
You're up late Chad.  If my time zone knowledge is right, which it probably isn't. hahaha

I'm still in San Francisco at the moment - just leaving for the airport shortly.  It was about 11pm when I posted last night.

I plan to do my writeups while on the plane, but I won't be able to post them as I have a function I'm attending tonight.  Still on track for tomorrow sometime.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #936 on: October 28, 2015, 06:29:17 AM »
Pulling this out of Brent's thread for clarification:

So you are not scoring the EP on whether it sounds like an EP? (that is, there is a theme, there is a good flow of songs).

Interesting question and something I considered in preparing an EP for jingle.boy in case I make his final.   The way I read his rules it didn't seem like the flow of the EP would affect the rating , but all the same I have placed one short interlude track on it for that reason - the transition from one track to the next was too jarring IMO.

This is NOT an EP round... theme, flow, transitions etc... have no bearing.  I just want 30 minutes of music.  Each song will get it's own individual grade/rating in and of iteself.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #937 on: October 28, 2015, 06:36:00 AM »
So was a minimum amount of time specified? I know you said you have no real desire for a full 30 mins but presumably there is some sort of minimum? 

I know you will probably specify this on Thursday (and I'm not assuming anything) but once it gets past Thursday I am going to have very limited time and trying to get this planned out in advance.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #938 on: October 28, 2015, 06:59:18 AM »
I don't have an EP ready, because to be honest, I don't think I'll make it. :lol My track is probably among the solid ones. Don't think any of the comments is mine though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #939 on: October 28, 2015, 10:32:15 AM »
You'll be in Phoenix for a week? I'm so sorry.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #940 on: October 28, 2015, 10:50:58 AM »

So you are not scoring the EP on whether it sounds like an EP? (that is, there is a theme, there is a good flow of songs).

Interesting question and something I considered in preparing an EP for jingle.boy in case I make his final.   The way I read his rules it didn't seem like the flow of the EP would affect the rating , but all the same I have placed one short interlude track on it for that reason - the transition from one track to the next was too jarring IMO.

This is NOT an EP round... theme, flow, transitions etc... have no bearing.  I just want 30 minutes of music.  Each song will get it's own individual grade/rating in and of iteself.

OK. Well forget what I posted about my EP. It's awesome, but..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #941 on: October 28, 2015, 08:16:32 PM »
So was a minimum amount of time specified? I know you said you have no real desire for a full 30 mins but presumably there is some sort of minimum? 

I know you will probably specify this on Thursday (and I'm not assuming anything) but once it gets past Thursday I am going to have very limited time and trying to get this planned out in advance.

No need for tou to assume anything. It was mathematically impossible for you to NOT to make the finals.

There is no minimum time. Up to 30 mins, as many songs and bands as you see fit.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #942 on: October 28, 2015, 08:30:37 PM »
OK - fair enough.   I was allowing for me getting a 1 or 2 and Hath getting 11, seneca getting 10 , wolfy getting anything decent etc..........according to my calcs I wasn't 100% in.    I would've been spewin' though :lol

Anyway- coolio.   Sent a 27 min EP  ;D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 08:39:10 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #943 on: October 28, 2015, 09:37:55 PM »

Sounds good.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #944 on: October 29, 2015, 07:06:59 AM »
Ok, let's wrap up the main competition.  Without further ado...

Big Hath - Jaded Heart / Ain't A Perfect World
Not sure if you’re intending to cheat here, or if this is just dumb luck.  I don’t speak of my love for Bormann's voice much, and haven’t done so in quite some time, but he's likely a top 10 modern-day vocalist for me.  Love absolutely everything he does – I consider Silent Force’s album last year with him to be their best.  This is no exception.  He can deliver some great melodies, and the lyrics here are really good, with some pretty sweet riffs to accompany his vocals.
Ranking – 2nd (for 10 points)

bl5150 - Evidence One / Trust vs Heart
Nice acoustic start, and a very smooth transition to bring in the rest of the band and kick the song into gear.  Overall though, it was fairly standard AOR, leaning towards the heavy-ish side.  I couldn't put my finger on why the vocals sound so familiar.  Research concludes he did a lot of backing for Eden's Curse - and you can definitely here that sound in this song - not just the vocals, but the overall writing.  Good song, though not scoring too high during this very competitive round.
Ranking – 7th (for 5 points)

Bolsters – Gunship / Tech Noir
So, as I’m listening to the (very promising) intro, I’m very intrigued, and I’m thinking “Please don’t be David’s song; please don’t be David’s song; please don’t be David’s song…. Ah fuck, it’s David’s song”.  :lol Sorry dude, I left this style behind the woodshed 29 years ago.  I think the only reason I enjoy any of what I do is largely from nostalgic reasons.
Ranking – 11th (for 1 point)… again.

Evermind – Moonspell / Breathe (Until We Are No More)
Started out good, then hit a brick wall right at the 1:00 mark.  The growls on this weren't the problem.  The hollow/echo-y feel of the clean vocals, along with the very low range/tone didn't jive – it gave me a Voyager feel.  Very distorted sound to the song overall – not sure if that was effect that was intended.  The abruptness of the style changes from the ‘softer’ feel of the verses to the ‘heavy’ feel of the chorus also didn’t work for me.  Symphonic piece coming out the solo was good, but it was then buried by that same abrupt transitioned, only to return for the outro… just sounded erratic and inconsistent to me.
Ranking – 10th (for 2 points)

jjrock88 – Obsession / For The Love of Money
To hell with 20 years ago, this floated my boat plenty now.  Damn those screams!  Great drum fills too; production made it sound a little dated, but that wasn't a show stopper.  Reminded me a lot of that Crimson Glory track you gave me in the 1st Roulette, with a little Savatage sprinkled in there.  Killer solo.  The more I listened, the more I liked this one.
Ranking – 4th (for 8 points)

Lowdz - Malison Rogue / Scars
Some parts were great, and then some weren't.  Something about the vocals that didn't click with me - it just sounded like he was struggling to hit some of the high notes.  Had a bit of an Andre-era Angra feel in that regard.  Guess you better book that plane ticket, or else just give me a virtual bitch-slap.
Ranking – 9th (for 3 points)

Mystery Machine - Steelhouse Lane / Seven Seas
AOR if there ever was AOR.  Smooth and silky rock tune.  Why does this vocalist sound so damned familiar - Keith Slack??  Can't place him, and neither can the internet – just a little MSG touring in the 90s.  Sounds more like Toby Hitchcock is providing the backing vocals/chorus, with a little James Christian??  Solid tune though.  MR.com surely gave it a 98%.
Ranking – 5th (for 7 points)

senecadawg2 – Shaaman / Innocence
Musically it was a great ballad – all the right pieces for me to love, and the intro was excellent (sounded a lot like Kuntz). However, Matos (like Kiske) is a weird one for me… tons of talent, and there’s nothing bad about his voice, but there’s a certain ‘je ne sais quoi’ about his tone/pitch that leaves me underwhelmed with him on the mic – especially when he tries to get really high in the register.  Tastes!  You're pre-submission line of questioning may have swayed you in the wrong direction – while I love Fireworks, it’s mostly swayed by the fact it was my first Angra album, and part of my musical discovery period 10+ years ago that started me on a path to discover a shit ton of non North American bands – and I find Matos to be the least-best part of that album. As you’ll see below, you’re really gonna be kicking yourself.
Ranking – 8th (for 4 points)

TAC - Gary Moore / Wild Frontier
Very ordinary vocal melodies (especially the chorus), and Gary isn't a strong singer to begin with.  The verses were better, and of course the guitar work is top shelf.  Production was clean as clean can be (maybe because Spotify had a 2002 remaster), which certainly helped the listening experience.  In the end, this became a bit of an earworm – not in a bad way, as it improved with every listen, as I was very underwhelmed at first
Ranking – 6th (for 6 points)

Wolfking - Machine Men / No Talk Without the Giant
Great guitar tone and riffs, with the most metal bass-line dragging the rest of the band along with it.  Vocals… who does this remind me of???  Really nice range, and while it almost sounds like screams, it's not really because he maintains an incredible amount of control.  Righteous solo, and the drum rhythm exiting it was the tits.
Ranking – 1st (for 11 points)

Zook – Bloodbound / Dominion
Well, I wasn't nearly as wow'd over this as I was about Nosferatu, but this did the trick nicely - though I do suspect Bloodbound is a one or two trick pony.  I remember checking out the album when Zydar gave me them in my 1st roulette, and was mostly underwhelmed – I recall, the few highlights were pretty high, but the rest was so-so.  This was closer to the 'high' side of things, and of course, Urban breed makes everything better.  Might give this album a shot.
Ranking – 3rd (for 9 points)

Tag Teams:

Wolfking - Saint Daemon / Way Home
Not a lot to say here - straight up melodic metal… interesting transition into the guitar solo.  Solid all the way around, though fairly unspectacular.  There are times I have trouble appreciating the more mid-paced rocking tunes.  For the most part, I tend to prefer a more frantic/rushed pace to my metal… like the below.
Ranking – 8th

Big Hath - Black Tora / Fuel My Hunger
This is more like the pace that I like my metal.  Great screams, riffs, transitions.  Very nice solo… close to shredding, but not quite.  Very creative.  You nailed it with both of your submissions this round – not sure which one of them was the “risk”, or if you were simply aiming hard with both guns blazing – or perhaps trying to cock-block your competition in the finals.  If so, mission accomplished on all fronts.
Ranking – 3rd

Final Standings:
wolfking - 59
bl5150 - 54
Big Hath – 51
------------------
senecadawg2 - 46
Zook - 45
TAC - 43
Evermind - 41
Lowdz - 39
Mystery Machine - 34
jjrock88 - 30
Bolsters - 21

Two of the Aussies found my musical sweet spot, and managed not to sway to far from it. Big Hath slams the hammer down in Round 7, and grabs the third spot - Seneca will invariably be doubting his decision to NOT send Bloodbound for a while.  Zook and TAC are saddled with a couple of bad rounds each, otherwise they rocked it throughout.  The others seemed unable to zone in on my elusive tastes, and are likely either  ::) or :getoffmylawn: at a few of their scores.  Bolsters… pays me back threefold for punishing him with Animotion.

Report Cards:
Had I been ranking songs on a 10-point scale, there would have been very little range/variation in scores.  Other than Bolsters’ experiments, I didn’t find anything terribly off-putting, so there would’ve been a few in the 6.5 range, but most would have been in the 7s/8s and a handful of 9s.  Nothing perfect though.  Perfection is reserved for … well… perfect songs – songs that are beyond flawless.

Because I was stack ranking, I had to delineate very finely, so went with a grading/percentage method – and you are all very good students.  You all have fantastic musical tastes, and know mine fairly well too.  So, right out of the gate, I wasn’t expecting any bad/low grades, let alone anyone failing (which by default is why all scores ended up at 5 or higher on a 10 point scale).  Most scores instantly fell in that B range, a handful of Cs for the mediocre stuff, and some (impressive) A’s and A+’s.  Rather than making this post any longer, I'll post the specific song-by-song 'grades' later tonight.  But overall, here's your report card:

wolfking - 81.9%
bl5150 - 81.0%
Big Hath - 79.7%
senecadawg2 - 78.9%
Zook - 77.9%
Lowdz - 76.7%
TAC - 76.6%
Evermind - 76.4%
Mystery Machine - 75.6%
jjrock88 - 73.7%
Bolsters - 68.1%