Author Topic: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Final Results - no more mind games  (Read 80150 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Rd 6 started (2 MORE TO GO)- got 'em all
« Reply #875 on: October 21, 2015, 10:09:02 PM »
Google Drive clearly blows, then.

nothing was truly spectacular, but it all came together very nicely
I'm going to take a guess that this is in reference to my song.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #876 on: October 21, 2015, 10:10:35 PM »
I'm just running out of shit to say.   :lol

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #877 on: October 22, 2015, 04:51:49 AM »
Not sure if I am in the teaser comments but I don't even have to look at last.fm  to know that someone sent Black Fate (Khan comment)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #878 on: October 22, 2015, 05:43:13 AM »
Not sure which one of those comments would fit mine to be honest.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #879 on: October 22, 2015, 07:50:12 AM »
There isn't a 20 year ago float my boat comment, so I'm not sure either

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #880 on: October 23, 2015, 07:15:27 AM »
hhmmm… apparently I do still have a lot of shit to say.

Big Hath - Seventh Key / I Will Survive
Similar to H.E.A.T., nothing was truly spectacular, but it all came together very nicely.  Intro was a little bland, but business picked up pretty quick.  Chorus was fluffy, but catchy - and reminded me a lot of a band called Cryptic Vision - not sure if anyone has heard of them.  I felt this one needed a little more edge - it felt too polished, much like how I feel about Work of Art.
Ranking - 8th (4 points)

bl5150 - Universe Effects / Equilibrium
I don't know what you were worried about… this was straight off the top shelf.  All the elements of a great prog-metal tune.  This was the total package - piano and acoustic interludes, time and key changes, tremendous vocals, variety in melody and rhythm, multiple instrumental sections demonstrating their talent, and that final scream, and final outro - gold baby, gold.
Ranking - 1st (11 points)

Bolsters - Mree / Monsters
Oh YEAH!!  And by "yeah", I mean "hell no". :biggrin:  I appreciate you trying to mix it up, but there wasn't anything here that appealed to me.
Ranking - 11th (1 point)

Evermind - Empire / Ring of Fire
Production wasn't as horrible as I expected, though upon a dedicate headphone listen, the guitars do sound like shit.  Boals can be hit and miss for me, and on this one,  he's closer to a miss than hit.  Vocal melodies kinda sucked too.  Like Tim's song a few rounds ago, the more I listened, the more I disliked it.
Ranking - good thing you had another song to tag in.

Evermind - Mostly Autumn / Evergreen
Another gorgeous female vocal performance - you love you ladies more than Zook methinks.  I didn’t get the folk-sy vibe you were preparing me for, but liked it long time anyway… the slow acoustic start allowed her voice to seep right in, instrumental mid-way was nice, but it was the outro that blew me away - highlight of the song.
Ranking - 7th (5 points)

jjrock88 - Steeler / Hot On Your Heels
I was never a huge fan of early Malmsteen, and the first (instrumental) 1/2 was typical early Yngwie shred-tastic talent, but shredding for the sake of it just never really did much for me, so I was only luke warm on this to start with.  The second half of the song absolutely melted my face though… killer.  If had been more of the latter, and less of the former, this would’ve been top 3 material.
Ranking - 9th (3 points)

Lowdz - Giant / Can't Let Go
Love Dan Huff's voice - smooth like an 18-year old Scotch.  I've spun a bit of Giant before, and always liked 'em.  Didn't know this tune at all - while I enjoyed it quite a bit, and it had all the right pieces for a power ballad, I wouldn't quite call it wow-worthy.
Ranking - 10th (2 points)… and I feel REALLY bad about it.

Mystery Machine - Kenziner / The Last Horizon
Most excellent.  Killer opening riff with nice background keyboard accompaniment.  Overall, it was a great blend of prog and power, with the vocal style that seems to appeal most to me - raspy and aggressive without being harsh or growlie.  All the right pieces were present, including a nice instrumental bridge that wasn’t a wankfest at all, just good musicianship.
Ranking - 5th (7 points)

senecadawg2 - The Chronicles Project / Forever
Holy shit does THIS guy sound like Roy Khan.  The whole experience was very, VERY Kamelot-ish… but better.  More prog than power here, whereas Kamelot is a little more power than prog.  Can't believe the vocal similarities to Khan.  Some really nice keyboard action here.  Definitely gonna be on the lookout for this release when it’s out.
Ranking - 3rd (9 points)

TAC - Golden Resurrection / See My Commands
Nice frantic power metal.  Killer guitar shredding arpeggios all thru this one.  The double bass kick was used just right, even if it was a little excessive.  Catchy chorus, despite being fairly predictable.  I'm not so sure that style appeals as much to me as it did a few years ago.  Still, I loved it.  It was a virtual tie with Evermind, and I'll give you the nod for being just a tad more diverse in your submissions over the course of the roulette.  A little, but not much.   ;)
Ranking - 6th (6 points)

wolfking - Crazy Lixx / Call To Action
I'd call this proggy-glam.  Definitely more glam than not, but overall it's a very nice package.  Has all the appeal of glam, while still delivering some creative writing, and excellent musicianship.  Add on some nice vocals, and this hit all the right buttons.
Ranking - 8th (4 points) 4th (for 8 points)

Zook - Iced Earth / Pure Evil
Despite my effort to try Iced Earth on multiple occasions, they just never clicked with me.  The music here was the really good, it really reminded me of 80s Metallica - even though I wasn't much of a fan of 80s Metallica, I enjoyed this one.  Vocally, didn't appeal to me at all, and was the downfall of this tune.
Rating - good thing you had another song to tag in ….

Zook - Black Fate / Weight of the World
… and mother of God did you make the best use of the tag-team option.  Holy shit does this guy sound like Roy Khan too.  Very Kamelot-ish, but almost entirely guitar led… very little keyboard, which gives this one it’s own uniqueness, and just a shade ahead of Seneca’s submission.  And man did that guitar melt my face.  Killer shit here man.
Ranking - 2nd (10 points)

Standings:
bl5150 - 49
wolfking - 48
senecadawg2 - 42
Big Hath - 41
Evermind - 39
TAC - 37
Zook - 36
Lowdz - 36
Mystery Machine - 27
jjrock88 - 22
Bolsters - 20

Traditional 10 point scoring wise, the range between first and last is 49 vs 42... and the 42 is only that low because Bolsters tapped out a few rounds ago, and has been "experimenting".   :D

Brent and Kade continue to leap-frog one another, and it looks to be a 3-way dog-fight for 3rd place - although TAC/Zook/Lowdz are not mathematically out of it.   It would take a few people dropping a turd this round for either of them to post a big comeback and grab third place.

Top 3 (including ties if there are any) make it to the finals.

Big Hath and wolfking still have their tag-team option to use in this final round.

Please get your songs in to me within the next 36 hours, so I can listen while I'm away on business next week.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 03:03:07 PM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #881 on: October 23, 2015, 08:04:46 AM »
Traditional 10 point scoring wise, the range between first and last is 49 vs 42... and the 42 is only that low because Bolsters tapped out a few rounds ago, and has been "experimenting".   :D
I've still got one round left to widen that gap some more. :neverusethis:

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Rd 6 finished.... and scores posted.
« Reply #882 on: October 23, 2015, 08:21:53 AM »
Evermind - Mostly Autumn / Evergreen
Another gorgeous female vocal performance - you love you ladies more than Zook methinks.  I didn’t get the folk-sy vibe you were preparing me for, but liked it long time anyway… the slow acoustic start allowed her voice to seep right in, instrumental mid-way was nice, but it was the outro that blew me away - highlight of the song.
Ranking - 7th (5 points)

This review seems really favourable, and yet I got only 5 points. Damn. But yeah, I love some great female vocals. Findlay is amazing here.

I think I'm kinda out of Finals already if I don't send the 10-11 points song, so I guess it's all or nothing for me now. May as well go with something risky. Will send something today.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #883 on: October 23, 2015, 08:29:10 AM »
This review seems really favourable, and yet I got only 5 points. Damn. But yeah, I love some great female vocals. Findlay is amazing here.

You're right... it is a favorable review.  Five points doesn't mean I didn't like your tune, it means that 6 people sent something a little better.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #884 on: October 23, 2015, 08:30:15 AM »

You're right... it is a favorable review.  Five points doesn't mean I didn't like your tune, it means that 6 people sent something a little better.

I know and understand that, but it doesn't prevent me from being just a bit disappointed.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #885 on: October 23, 2015, 08:40:27 AM »

I know and understand that, but it doesn't prevent me from being just a bit disappointed.

:hug:

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #886 on: October 23, 2015, 08:43:42 AM »
Aww.

Alright, I just sent you a song with growls for this. :angel:

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #887 on: October 23, 2015, 10:12:30 AM »
Glad you enjoyed the song. I don't think it's particularly out of the ordinary, just an excellent and solid song for hitting all the sweet spots that any strong progressive, power metal song should hit.

I was debating Mostly Autumn as well, Evermind. Reason being that I know how much jingly loves his Human Equation, and Findlay has always been one of the highlights for me on that album. Anyways, thanks for taking that bullet for me  :D
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #888 on: October 23, 2015, 10:40:37 AM »
Findlay is my favourite on the album. The live show though, that's the whole other story. ;D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #889 on: October 23, 2015, 12:44:46 PM »
I agree that the second half of that Steeler song is a scorcher.

Song sent.  Likely a 20 year/boat song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #890 on: October 23, 2015, 12:45:35 PM »
What is a boat song?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #891 on: October 23, 2015, 12:46:29 PM »
What is a boat song?

The majority of my songs for Chads roulettes get a review of 20 years ago it would have floated my boat.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #892 on: October 23, 2015, 12:47:01 PM »
Christopher Cross - Sailing
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #893 on: October 23, 2015, 12:49:32 PM »
Although you say you love a ballad, I'm thinking you can't do as I've sent you two of the best and this prog metal crap keeps out scoring them...  :biggrin:

And the steeler tune better than it? I love early Yngwie, even Keel ( :eek), but the Steeler album was average.

My crown has well and truly gone!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #894 on: October 23, 2015, 01:00:07 PM »
What is a boat song?

The majority of my songs for Chads roulettes get a review of 20 years ago it would have floated my boat.

I see.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #895 on: October 23, 2015, 01:02:16 PM »
The Black Fate is really good and I almost sent it this round. The Chronicles Project I was saving for the finals if I made it. Didn't think anyone would send it as the album isn't out yet

Don't know Brent's submission, will check it out. The rest I can't believe scored higher than mine.

And yes, I sound like whiny brat  :biggrin:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #896 on: October 23, 2015, 01:05:15 PM »
Although you say you love a ballad, I'm thinking you can't do as I've sent you two of the best and this prog metal crap keeps out scoring them...  :biggrin:

And the steeler tune better than it? I love early Yngwie, even Keel ( :eek), but the Steeler album was average.

My crown has well and truly gone!

Sorry dude... them's tastes for you.  I absolutely adore Hardline/In the Hands of Time; Lord/New Horizons (Kade sent that in roulette #1, and it was a top 3 song of the roulette); Whitesnake/Sailing Ships; Winger/Witness; Serenity/For Freedom's Sake; Primal Fear/Born With a Broken Heart.  I have a playlist of Power Ballads with 127 songs on it.  This Giant tune will make the cut, but it ranks where it ranks against this bunch - I told you I felt REALLY bad about the 10th place finish.

Hold a roulette of your own - you can pay me back.   :biggrin:  Whine away... I've been accused of doing as such when my submissions don't score as well as I wanted/expected.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #897 on: October 23, 2015, 02:00:27 PM »
Shot you an email with a couple questions... Trying to narrow down my choices
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #898 on: October 23, 2015, 02:09:09 PM »
Shot you an email with a couple questions... Trying to narrow down my choices

Answered.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: October 23, 2015, 02:29:50 PM »
Damn, that didn't work.  Was quite confident in Crazy Lixx too.  Shit, I have to go and will be out the weekend, and will miss the 36 hour deadline.  I'll send two songs right now without even thinking.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #900 on: October 23, 2015, 02:39:30 PM »
I'll take what I got in the last round. It's a fair grade.

Sending a classic while heeding a warning. It's a song I know Kade and Paul will vouch for.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #901 on: October 23, 2015, 02:59:00 PM »
you have my song and wolfie's song both ranked 8th for 4 points.  Was one of our songs supposed to be 4th for 8 points?
Winger would be better!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #902 on: October 23, 2015, 03:02:39 PM »
you have my song and wolfie's song both ranked 8th for 4 points.  Was one of our songs supposed to be 4th for 8 points?

Yes... and it wan't you. 

Damn, that didn't work.  Was quite confident in Crazy Lixx too.  Shit, I have to go and will be out the weekend, and will miss the 36 hour deadline.  I'll send two songs right now without even thinking.

I was thinking "Damn, you got some high expectations of yourself if you think an 8 (score) didn't work)."

Attention to detail - I suck at it.  The Standings are accurate, that much I know.  Just a brainfart in my writeups - which I'm fixing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #903 on: October 23, 2015, 03:06:37 PM »

Yes... and it wan't you. 

I was thinking "Damn, you got some high expectations of yourself if you think an 8 (score) didn't work)."

Attention to detail - I suck at it.  The Standings are accurate, that much I know.  Just a brainfart in my writeups - which I'm fixing.

Ahh, I thought the blurb on my song was a little too positive for 8th position.  :lol  Didn't make sense.  Happy with 4th again though.  Expectations lowered.

Just sent two songs.  I think possibly the least amount of time I ever taken to think and submit two songs for a roulette.  :hat

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #904 on: October 23, 2015, 03:09:17 PM »

Here's the reason for my deadline of tomorrow night - if the song isn't on Spotify, I need my personal laptop in order to sync it to my iPhone.  Since my flight leaves at 8am Sunday morning, and I'm not taking my personal laptop with me on my trip, if your song ain't on Spotify, I won't be able to spin it until I get home on Thursday.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #905 on: October 23, 2015, 03:21:07 PM »

Here's the reason for my deadline of tomorrow night - if the song isn't on Spotify, I need my personal laptop in order to sync it to my iPhone.  Since my flight leaves at 8am Sunday morning, and I'm not taking my personal laptop with me on my trip, if your song ain't on Spotify, I won't be able to spin it until I get home on Thursday.

It's fine mate, I'm happy with my tracks.  I guess being on different sides of the world always ain't gonna work for everyone.  :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #906 on: October 23, 2015, 03:23:54 PM »
Yes... and it wan't you. 

doubly sucks because Crazy Lixx was the band I was sending next
Winger would be better!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #907 on: October 23, 2015, 03:33:16 PM »
You know what would be nice?  Once, just once, I'd like to do my writeup with out any errors!  :zeltar:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #908 on: October 23, 2015, 03:47:32 PM »
Yes... and it wan't you. 

doubly sucks because Crazy Lixx was the band I was sending next

Nice, since you sent HEAT the round before and I was going to use them the next round too.  :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #909 on: October 23, 2015, 08:53:45 PM »
Sent.