Author Topic: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Final Results - no more mind games  (Read 80068 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Welcome back my friends
« Reply #245 on: September 08, 2015, 02:55:37 PM »
What is this nerd talk Chad.  Run this roulette mofo! :lol

Get your ass back on vacation - unless of course, you're the Mystery Machine?   :lol

Before I get to results, let me start by saying it’s hard to have to eliminate any of you - but I'm not going to run 9 rounds with 18 people - 162 songs is just too much.  I know you all as posters quite well (except Train of Naught and who specifically the Mystery person is), and well… we Canadian’s don’t like to upset anyone.  So, for those I’m about to eliminate, let me start by apologizing :lol.  I’m sorry you sent me shit  :rollin.  JK, those songs that didn’t make the cut were still enjoyable - nothing grossed me out.  So, before I get to results, everyone needs to watch the following 17 seconds, and bear in mind to replace the following words as follows:

“crying” with “butt-hurt”, and “baseball” with “roulettes”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx2Sps9aMcY

One more listen tonight (assuming I'm home in time), then you'll all know your fate.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Results.... <soon>
« Reply #246 on: September 08, 2015, 03:40:55 PM »
So that means we're allowed to cry? I can't promise I won't cry.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #247 on: September 08, 2015, 03:43:55 PM »
Fingers crossed I guess!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Welcome back my friends
« Reply #248 on: September 08, 2015, 03:49:24 PM »

Really not sure what to make of this.  Sneaky for sure, and I literally mean sneaky... not trying to suggest that's who this is.

Where the fuck is this posted? 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #249 on: September 08, 2015, 03:54:06 PM »
It's an e-mail sent to Chad.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: September 08, 2015, 03:59:54 PM »
Right, so he's communicating through email to Chad to ask us questions lol. 

Mystery Machine, not sure if I want someone who won't post on the forum to participate.  I'll have to give it some thought dude, no offense.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #251 on: September 08, 2015, 08:00:36 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: September 08, 2015, 08:28:04 PM »
Half way thru my final listen.  Putting the finishing touches on my writeups. 

:soon:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #253 on: September 08, 2015, 08:59:10 PM »
:caffeine: Nobody Leaves!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: September 08, 2015, 09:00:06 PM »
I gotta go for now. Stupid work.  >:(

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: September 08, 2015, 09:07:04 PM »
Writeups will be brief (for the most part), and to the point.  Though I said this was an in/out decision, I will rank them in (mostly) the order I liked them - from best to worst.  The margin of difference was pretty small across the board.  Every song that made it thru was stellar in one way or another.  Even those that didn’t will get some replay value.

Elite:  Theocracy - I Am
Way better than the last Theocracy tune I got (Kris/YtseBitsySpider in Roulette #1).  This song had a little bit of everything… great lyrics and melodies (“I am the melody that weaves it’s way inside your soul”), excellent vocals, hard and soft elements, pace changes.  It was the total package.  I particularly loved the celtic breakdown in the middle.  Is this the typical style of Theocracy - because I wrote them off after Kris’s substandard submission?

bl5150:  Rox Diamond - Familiar Strangers
Doesn't get much better than this for melodic rock - or what some of us used to call glam/hair metal. Leave it to Brent to be the only one going deep enough that Spotify doesn't have the tune.  This one tickled me right on my musical funny bone

Zook:  Shear - Turmoil
Great riffage here.  Vocally this was really good… got better with every listen.  I almost always love my female fronted music.

wolfking:  Ride the Sky - New Protection
Vocals are right up my alley - they’re a perfect blend of smooth and gruff.   Oh here’s why - his is fronted by Bjorn Jansson from Tears of Anger - love their two albums.  Pretty safe submission - but there’s nothing wrong with safe.

Lowdz:  Anubis Gate - Snowbound
I’ve seen the band name all over the place here, but never checked 'em out.  Pretty much what I expected from this band; great melodies , excellent vocals, and everything else that is the standard formula for the melodic rock/metal that appeals to me.

TAC:  Lords Of The Trident - Shattered Skies
Blind Guardian vibe coming through pretty strong.  Now THESE are some massive cheesy lyrics, and my god… why did I look at a band profile pic!  Good thing the music stands well on it’s own.

Prog Snob:  A.C.T. - Wailings from a Building
John led with a different band, but got a warning that what I do know if that act hasn’t been overly favourable - I won’t say who, as it still might be a viable option (as opposed to the below, who I’ll tell all of you is a BIG risk).  This reload option was funky, rockin, proggy… not at all what I was expecting from A.C.T.  And not at all like anything anyone else submitted.

lonestar:  Deadly Circus Fire - Threnody
Voyager was RJ’s first choice, and he bailed on it after I told him of my (not so exciting) experience with them at the Evergreen show just 10 days ago.  So, he rage-submits this on me.  Some big ass crunchy guitars coming through loud and clear - his roulette calling card these days.  I feel like I was left with an "RJ was here" business card.  Loved the little feedback-y screeches that came along the main riff.  For a brief moment during the intro, the combined drum run and guitar riff reminded me a hella lot of Spoonman.

Big Hath:  Harvest - Roundabout
This gave me an Anathema vibe. Gorgeous female vocals, and musically, it's not too heavy, but not too light .  Perfect blend.

Evermind:  Rustfield - Waxhopes
Big Subsignal vibe throughout.  It somehow manages to be a prog-metal song but never feels overly heavy or proggy.  I don't know how else to describe it.

jjrock88:  Accept - Losing More Than You've Ever Had
Really like Udo's vocals.  Solid metal, holds up pretty good for 1980s music.  I’d probably have liked this more 25 years ago, but still enjoyed it plenty hearing it for the first time here.

Bolsters:  Better - The Screaming Jets
Solid rock.  Nothing that floored me, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with this.  Loved the frantic outro.

Nekov:  Rival Sons - Electric Man
Man, this is some blatant old school rock 'n' roll.  No kidding when they describe themselves with influences from Bad Company, Deep Purple, Zeppelin, and the Doors.  It's certainly a potpourri of all of that and more.  Hated to say that this was at the low end of the winners, cuz it was a great tune!

Mystery Machine:  Sphere of Souls - Sweet Sorrow
Borderline between really good, and just ok.  I should’ve enjoyed it more, having come from the vocalist of Sun Caged, and keyboardist Joost van den Broek (Star One, Sun Caged, After Forever).  I was thinking that Bolsters' anti-climatic comment was going to be spot on, but this got better with multiple listens, and it came down to this and ...

Sacul:  Last Crack - Energy Mind
Highlighted by a plodding guitar riff that didn't do much for me.  Nice vocals and solo however.  It came down to this and Mystery Machine's tune, as the last safe one, and I’m going to defer to Mystery - I'm intrigued by what he/she might come up with - considering the band they used in Mason’s (fairly obscure and under-rated btw).  I have a feeling I know that your tastes and mine are, by and large, not in alignment .  No soup for you.

senecadawg2:  Orden Ogan - Nobody Leaves
This one started great, but then the double bass kick put it on the edge of thrashy… I’m not a fan of thrash.  The chorus was great and I found more to like about it with each listen.  Despite Doc's 8/8 in his roulette, this didn't quite align with the things that float my boat.  I find that while Doc and I have a lot in common, we also have a lot not in common.  Which leads me to...

Dr. DTVT:  Ghost - Cirice
Beautiful song, for sure, but it just didn't click.  There's something about really HEAVY songs that carry a slow pace - they usually don't jive with me.  I dunno what it is with me and you and Roulette’s.  We just don’t seem to click, despite our obvious “SUPER” compatibility - at least, according to last.fm (before they fucked with the interface).

Train of Naught:  Pendulum - Witchcraft
Electronica? According to my ears, definitely so (and confirmed by Wiki). Clearly you missed one of the VERY FIRST THINGS I STATED IN MY OP!  This was certainly entertaining, and catchy as fuck, but then again, so is influenza, and herpes.  Not my thing man.  I’ll probably come back to it on occasion, but this just didn’t cut it with this crowd.  At least you kinda figured this was coming.

So here’s the deal for Mystery Machine… you’re gonna have to wow the shit out of me if you want to make it.  You’re on probation for barely sneaking in.  Mason and Nelson... Both your songs had things to like, but against this competition, fell a little short. However, you're both saved with a get out of jail free card. I know you both have something for me, so wow me. If you don't, I can't save you twice.

And on this round, there are no get out of jail cards.  So don't fuck up.   :D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Are you through... or are you THROUGH?
« Reply #256 on: September 08, 2015, 09:47:22 PM »
Besides Accept, I have no idea about any other band from that round.

On a separate note, any time Chad uses a Seinfeld or Ric Flair gif, it makes my day!!

song sent for this round.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #257 on: September 08, 2015, 09:50:04 PM »
Solid rock.  Nothing that floored me, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with this.  Loved the frantic outro.
Glad you didn't hate the outro, that was the one thing in the song I really wasn't sure how you would react to. Oh and fuck you for putting Song - Artist just like Last.fm does. :tdwn

Regarding Mystery Machine...I don't understand why anyone is getting their panties in a bunch about it. :huh: I think it's an intruiging idea and I'm looking forward to trying to figure out who they are based on their comments and the songs they send.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #258 on: September 08, 2015, 10:04:30 PM »
Funny thing about my submission, that album hasn't left my player since I submitted it, straight up fucking crack that one is. If you're a fan of Tool, just listen to it, trust me.

Glad I got by, I was a bit nervous about it. Now on to bigger and better things...in a few days, gotta get old first.  :RJ:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: September 08, 2015, 10:35:13 PM »
So only two people got eliminated in the first round? Well, at least I got through without any probations or anything.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #260 on: September 08, 2015, 11:02:20 PM »
Yay not last place  ;D . Will send soon.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #261 on: September 09, 2015, 12:16:07 AM »

Actually, I think you have been eliminated :|

Good write-ups man! Short and concise makes you read all of them, especially to figure out who made the cut and who didn't. Regarding Theocracy; they tend to write similar stuff as well. They're mainly a 'progressive power metal' band, so lots of their songs have power metal influences. Their longer songs are more in a progressive vein, like the one I sent you. They're definitely a fun band to listen to occasionally.
Squ

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: September 09, 2015, 04:45:53 AM »

Actually, I think you have been eliminated :|

I think so too.  I'm trying to work it out also.  Seems Sacul and Train of Naught are out with Mystery Machine, DTVT and senecadawg2 all been given another round to prove themselves.  Could be wrong though.

Chad?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #263 on: September 09, 2015, 04:47:46 AM »
That is also my interpretation of the results.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: September 09, 2015, 04:59:32 AM »
Glad you didn't hate the outro, that was the one thing in the song I really wasn't sure how you would react to. Oh and fuck you for putting Song - Artist just like Last.fm does. :tdwn

My bad... I tried to catch it all, but being complete unfamiliar with them, I brain-farted out on that one.  :blush

Regarding Mystery Machine...I don't understand why anyone is getting their panties in a bunch about it. :huh: I think it's an intruiging idea and I'm looking forward to trying to figure out who they are based on their comments and the songs they send.

Yeah, it actually dawned on me that this is a cool idea - I can't possibly be swayed by who the person is.  For instance, if it is Parama, I may have been skewed by my knowledge that his tastes are so different from mine and scored lower than the song was worth; conversely if it's Kirksnosehair, the opposite could be said.  I trust that he/she is a known entity around here as they claim.

@ Lucas... yeah buddy, you're toast.

I think so too.  I'm trying to work it out also.  Seems Sacul and Train of Naught are out with Mystery Machine, DTVT and senecadawg2 all been given another round to prove themselves.  Could be wrong though.

Pretty much... though Mystery got the last spot - I'm just giving them a stern warning to do a hella lot better, as I'm not going to favour them over a 'known' participant if it comes down to a close decision.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #265 on: September 09, 2015, 05:01:14 AM »
Well damn, that's not a good start. Sorry for letting you down, boss man.

And thanks for giving me another chance, hopefully I can blow you away with this next one.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: September 09, 2015, 05:02:13 AM »
Fair enough Chad.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #267 on: September 09, 2015, 05:09:40 AM »
My bad... I tried to catch it all, but being complete unfamiliar with them, I brain-farted out on that one.  :blush
I thought you did it on purpose. :lol

hopefully I can blow you
Well yeah, that'd probably get you safely past the qualifiers at least.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #268 on: September 09, 2015, 05:11:42 AM »
C'mon man, don't be silly.

Don't you think I've already tried that?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: September 09, 2015, 05:13:18 AM »
A few in there I don't know.  Looks like I do have cause to run a roulette.

Love the Screaming Jets submission again, the ending is pure Aussie rock.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: September 09, 2015, 05:30:35 AM »
Chad, I was probably going to send some Voyager too at some stage, but not now, what's the story?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: September 09, 2015, 05:50:05 AM »
Chad, I was probably going to send some Voyager too at some stage, but not now, what's the story?

Excellent music, great stage presence, and I liked the vocals... however, the vocals were a little soft/poppy for my liking.  What I said to the people I was hanging with was that it was like having a steak dinner (the music) with a side of cupcake (the vocals).  Nothing wrong with cupcakes... I love cupcakes - just not as a side to my steak.  For some reason, the vocals and music just didn't mix together for me.  It was like the time I tried wasabi hummus.  I love wasabi; I love hummus... but the combination was just awful.  I wouldn't say Voyager was awful, but they didn't do anything for me.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: September 09, 2015, 05:52:55 AM »
That's cool.  I did find their vocals a bit off at the start too.  Certainly an acquired taste.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #273 on: September 09, 2015, 05:57:08 AM »
Blast, I had read that part about no electronica, I must've switched things up with another roulette, I believe I had planned to send either The Fray or The Script.
Oh well, I did see it coming, good luck to the rest of you!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: September 09, 2015, 05:59:01 AM »
Blast, I had read that part about no electronica, I must've switched things up with another roulette, I believe I had planned to send either The Fray or The Script.
Oh well, I did see it coming, good luck to the rest of you!

Dunno if you would have been any better off to be honest mate.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #275 on: September 09, 2015, 05:59:41 AM »
Thought the same here

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #276 on: September 09, 2015, 06:04:43 AM »
Listening to Voyager now...yeah, not a fan of the vocalist. Mostly because his Australian accent is so thick. Musically it's not bad though...shame.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: September 09, 2015, 06:18:48 AM »
I have only heard bits and pieces by Voyager but nothing ever made me want to investigate further - one in particular was a lyric video with painfully bad lyrics , which always makes things worse than they need to be :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: September 09, 2015, 06:25:13 AM »

That was close!

I'll send something tonight after I get home and can run through my music library properly. This gonna be hard
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #279 on: September 09, 2015, 06:58:45 AM »
I guess I'm in the minority here who likes Voyager quite a bit. Though I definitely understand the criticism- those vocals are definitely hit or miss.