Author Topic: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Final Results - no more mind games  (Read 79971 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Rd 7 Results - down to the Final THREE
« Reply #1015 on: November 03, 2015, 10:33:34 PM »
Yeah they've all had a lot longer than just nine roulette rounds to hone in on your tastes. Be tougher. :P

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1016 on: November 03, 2015, 10:37:37 PM »
I don't care if I get 60's , as long as everyone else gets 50's  :biggrin:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1017 on: November 04, 2015, 04:08:13 AM »
Three listens in so far.  Good stuff - couple of plodders (as Brent would say).  I think this is gonna be a close one.  Might have results up on Friday, if not then Sunday (as I've got shit to do on Saturday).

Just a heads up... if you thought I was handing out tough ratings before, it's gonna be even a tad tougher for the finals.  You've all had 2 qualification + 7 main rounds of competition to zone in on my tastes.  Just like in school, that gave you plenty of time to 'study', and thus my expectations of a good performance are a little higher than they were earlier.  You're the best of the best, so I came into this round expecting you to demonstrate it.  Something that got a low 80s in the main competition is likely going to get a mid/high 70s.

Tough but fair.

I don't care if I get 60's , as long as everyone else gets 50's  :biggrin:

Yeah, well there's that too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1018 on: November 06, 2015, 07:59:48 AM »
Quick update... have listened 5 times each.  Haven't been able to write any thoughts yet.  You all had some level of cheating - all three of you using vocalists you know I adore, and two of you riding on Lowdz's winning ways from the last roulette.  Paul will be happy to know the legacy of his victory last year lives on.

And, each of you kinda dropped a turd with one of your choices.

Hope to get some teaser comments up tonight, full results by Sunday night (my time).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Finals ....
« Reply #1019 on: November 06, 2015, 08:14:49 AM »
oh boy . . .
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1020 on: November 06, 2015, 08:30:47 AM »
Looking forward to seeing what has been sent.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1021 on: November 06, 2015, 02:21:29 PM »
Just checked my email.............no turds sent  ;D    I'll be interested to know where I stuffed up - I went for pretty rare stuff but felt that the quality was still there.  Also went varied and included an acoustic ballad and instrumental..........that's where I would be guessing for my lower score.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1022 on: November 06, 2015, 02:31:53 PM »
I'm guessing that you have a pair of these over your ears:

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1023 on: November 06, 2015, 02:33:11 PM »
Just checked my email.............no turds sent  ;D    I'll be interested to know where I stuffed up - I went for pretty rare stuff but felt that the quality was still there.  Also went varied and included an acoustic ballad and instrumental..........that's where I would be guessing for my lower score.

Ballad was a mistake. The Canadanian (as my son called him the other day!) says he likes ballads but his roulette scores would disagree...  :biggrin:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1024 on: November 06, 2015, 02:35:44 PM »
I'm guessing that you have a pair of these over your ears:

I'll reserve judgement on what I think of your ears until I see the results :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1025 on: November 06, 2015, 02:36:53 PM »

Ballad was a mistake. The Canadanian (as my son called him the other day!) says he likes ballads but his roulette scores would disagree...  :biggrin:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1026 on: November 06, 2015, 02:49:40 PM »
 :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1027 on: November 06, 2015, 02:51:22 PM »
HA!
Winger would be better!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1028 on: November 06, 2015, 03:33:29 PM »
Getting interesting.  ;D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1029 on: November 06, 2015, 06:20:12 PM »
 :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1030 on: November 08, 2015, 01:18:52 PM »
Some of the writeups are kinda short - I’ve just run out of things to say that I haven’t already said.  And holy mother of god was this a close one.  But enough... on to the results.  Song-by-song first.

Why is it that, as organizers, we post the writups first, then the scores?  If the three finalists are like me, they'll just scroll to the bottom, and look for the score.  Well, I’m back to my dirty tricks.  You must read writeups first.  Yes, I'm an evil mother-fucker. 

Brent:
No Gravity / Can't Dream Anymore
Definitely cheating on with my man-love of Kuntz's vocals at the moment. Double cheat points for sending Italian Power Metal that’s also a little groggy. Gonna check this out, with a couple of other nice guest vocalists - Luppi (Secret Sphere/Vision Divine), Lione (Rhapsody/Vision Divine/Angra), Basile (DGM/Mind Key), and Tiranti (Labyrinth).
Grade - 82%

Wildside / So Far Away
Nothing wrong, but nothing great.  Kinda like eating a plain hot dog.  Vocally it was nice - some good glammy screams.  This song gets the JJ treatment - it would've floated my boat 20 years ago in a big way, but today, it was just so-so.
Grade - 68%

Sigma Project / Analysis
All the feel of The Dance of Eternity, but none of the good parts.  It felt like a bunch of leftover bits of writing the band had, so they stitched them altogether and this was the result.  Some parts were excellent, but overall it seemed like a hot mess.
Grade - 64%

Mattador / Tired
You got some set of balls to send an accoustic-only track, but man… excellent stuff.  You nailed everything I like about a rhythm section-less song  - great vibe, writing, lyrics and vocals.  Paul… it seems you just weren't sending the right kinds of ballads.  As I said, sometimes there's no accounting for tastes (including my own!).
Grade - 80%

Withem / Miracle
Well, this was a helluva last minute change.  Not really much to say here that I haven’t said about a bunch of the 80%+ songs throughout this roulette - killer riffs, killer vocals, drums and bass that do more than just keep the beat, keyboards that add a little atmosphere here and there.  Everything was right in my wheelhouse, but what really stuck out was the chorus.  Song of the round.  Good thing I knew The Four Horsemen already, cuz this song slayed it.  Seneca’s really gonna kick himself now, as this was a band he ‘checked’ but didn’t use.
Grade - 87%

Jonathan:
Signal / Arms of a Stranger
Kinda fluffy… as if Toby Hitchcock was fronting Work of Art.  Solid AOR top to bottom though.  Very enjoyable, it was just missing a certain ‘uuumph’.
Grade - 76%

Ænimus / Seven Circles of Hell
Great opening riff, and it carries throughout the song.  Every now and then, there's a total Dennis DeYoung vibe from the enunciation - the way he screams/growls - but it's not growlie growls… it's clean growling.  Don't know how to explain it.  Excellent tune - Top 4 of the round.
Grade - 81%

Odyssey / Amon-Ra
This one was a plodder.  Crunchy guitars; couple of nice breaks, and Swano's voice is growing more and more on me.  Nothing terribly wrong here, just not quite as good quite most of the others.
Grade - 75%

TNT / Everyone's A Star
Tony's screams were just non-stop.  Tons of talent in his voice, but there was no variety in this - he was just belting it out start to finish, and it grated on me after about 30 seconds.
Grade - 66%

Leverage / Rise/Wolf and the Moon
I’m not rating this as two tracks… the intro track just sets the mood/vibe, and my ears were prepared, but my God!!!!  The lyrics were cringe-worthy… if not for that, it would've been the clear favourite of the entire finals - musically it was everything I love, and a bag of chips.  But man, those lyrics.  Any song that uses “mistress” and “temptress” in the very first verse is sending a warning “Beware!  Cheese ahead".
Grade - 79%

Kade:
Pink Cream 69 / No Way Out
Second song that rides on Lowdz's coat-tails (Leverage being the first).  Great solo, liked the lyrics, and Readmann of course is fantabulous.
Grade - 78%

Malpractice / Symmetry
And on the flip side from the TNT track, the vocal range on this one was way low, with no variety on the other end of the register.  Great instrumental section, and solo though.  This grade was initially pretty low, but I found more reasons to like it every time I spun it - as I became more accustomed to his voice, and the chorus was a bit of an ear worm.
Grade - 70%

Coldspell / Night Falls
Nice melodic/proggy tune.  This one was also a bit of a plodder, off-set by some tremendous vocals, bass lines, and guitar licks.
Grade - 75%

Fullforce / Oblivion
Love Mike Anderson… and this song got better with every listen, and a killer solo section - one of the best in the round.
Grade - 77%

Cans / Beyond the Gates
Nice acoustic start, ripping into some very nice riffs and guitar runs.  I usually don't like these kinds of plodders, but this was enjoyable - nice harmonies in the chorus - gave me a Blind Guardian vibe (less the distinctive vocals from Hansi).  Great solo, and symphonic outro from it.
Grade - 78%

Adagio / Dominate
Some great parts, some not-so greats.  Growls weren't the problem - it was mainly opening segment … it was just too thrashy for my tastes.  Fortunately, it didn’t last, or get reprised at all.  The riffs were great; vocal melodies (both verses and chorus) were excellent.  Tasty little keyboard runs underneath the chorus.
Grade - 78%

Brent hammers it with three songs, but swings and misses with two.  Kade gets the nod in the finals for consistency, that’s for sure.  For him, it’s a good thing I listened to the tunes one more time this morning, as Symmetry finally started to click.  The first few listens, it was my least enjoyed tune.  And if not for the TNT track, Jon also was a model of consistency.

As I mentioned, my grading was pretty tough in the finals - most of those high 70s songs would’ve been mid-low 80s in the main competition.  You all gave me some solid, SOLID shit here.

Final scores were so close, I had to go to one decimal point 76.8%, 77.8% and 78%.

I'll let you know who got which in a few hours.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Finals... Song scores are up!!!
« Reply #1031 on: November 08, 2015, 01:27:59 PM »
What about my EP?

:neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1032 on: November 08, 2015, 01:28:48 PM »
Interesting final.

Only Wildside I'm familiar with from Brent's songs, pretty good album that.

Some pretty good stuff in there from the rest.  Sounds like a close final. Good luck splitting that lot  :biggrin:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1033 on: November 08, 2015, 01:41:26 PM »
Listening to the Withem now. Excellent stuff and a good antidote to the Stratovarius I've just been listening to.
The Aenimus is good too.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1034 on: November 08, 2015, 02:26:27 PM »
wow, photo finish

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1035 on: November 08, 2015, 03:39:15 PM »
Both of those 60% -er ratings surprise me a lot , but more so the Wildside (the instrumental was always a risk) and how it rated compared to some of the others I know  :omg:.  And you say you like glam metal ?   :-\     

I was worried I had blown it with the high ratings in the qualifiers but I probably would've saved the two shockers for the final anyway  :justjen

Overall pretty happy though.........subs in song of the round as an afterthought  :metal 

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1036 on: November 08, 2015, 03:47:15 PM »
Withem / Miracle
Well, this was a helluva last minute change.  Not really much to say here that I haven’t said about a bunch of the 80%+ songs throughout this roulette - killer riffs, killer vocals, drums and bass that do more than just keep the beat, keyboards that add a little atmosphere here and there.  Everything was right in my wheelhouse, but what really stuck out was the chorus.  Song of the round.  Good thing I knew The Four Horsemen already, cuz this song slayed it.  Seneca’s really gonna kick himself now, as this was a band he ‘checked’ but didn’t use.
Grade - 87%

Ahhh what the fuck. No need to kick a man when he's already dead.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1037 on: November 08, 2015, 04:18:50 PM »
What about my EP?

What about sending it? 

And you say you like glam metal ?   :-\     

I do... Rox Diamond scored wonderfully; as did Heavy Bones.  In my first roulette, Blessed By A Broken Heart rocked my socks off, and JJ killed it with Crimson Glory too.

Goddamn tastes, huh?   ;)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1038 on: November 08, 2015, 04:20:40 PM »
it's okay mate...............I figured out what happened here.

Just before you wrote that Wildside up you were obviously getting a bit

Brent:
No Gravity / Can't Dream Anymore
Definitely cheating on with my man-love of Kuntz's vocals at the moment. Double cheat points for sending Italian Power Metal that’s also a little groggy. Gonna check this out, with a couple of other nice guest vocalists - Luppi (Secret Sphere/Vision Divine), Lione (Rhapsody/Vision Divine/Angra), Basile (DGM/Mind Key), and Tiranti (Labyrinth).
Grade - 82%

Wildside / So Far Away

« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 04:55:20 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1039 on: November 08, 2015, 04:54:51 PM »

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1040 on: November 08, 2015, 06:18:47 PM »
Leverage / Rise/Wolf and the Moon
I’m not rating this as two tracks… the intro track just sets the mood/vibe, and my ears were prepared, but my God!!!!  The lyrics were cringe-worthy… if not for that, it would've been the clear favourite of the entire finals - musically it was everything I love, and a bag of chips.  But man, those lyrics.  Any song that uses “mistress” and “temptress” in the very first verse is sending a warning “Beware!  Cheese ahead".

HA!  As per normal, I couldn't tell you a single thing about the lyrics to this song (or any of the songs I sent for the most part!).
Winger would be better!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1041 on: November 08, 2015, 06:33:16 PM »
I never noticed those awful lyrics until Chad pointed it out either - there's a shocking development  ;D   

I really don't tend to notice lyrics at all unless they stand out like a sore thumb - good and bad - and I didn't really notice it with Leverage......maybe I should've :lol  There's one song out of the 27 in my final where I noticed the lyrics (in a bad way) and even then , it didn't affect the score greatly.   

Not referring to Chad at all here but I  :omg: at the detail of some of the analysis of lyrics on DTF - listening to music ain't anywhere near that complicated for me.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1042 on: November 08, 2015, 07:40:38 PM »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1043 on: November 08, 2015, 07:59:12 PM »
Wow, that's some close shit.

Doesn't my big lead at the end of the normal rounds give me a bit of an edge?  ;D

And, even though I like the approach, those are some tough rankings Chad, you badass!

For peoples information;

I don't know any of Brents songs, and I know Leverage from Hath.  I know TNT but not that song, but in my roulette, they will still be banned.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1044 on: November 08, 2015, 08:37:14 PM »
Ok, no more waiting...

Jonathan:
Main - 79.7%
Finals - 75.4%
Total - 76.8%

Brent:
Main - 81.1%
Finals - 76.2%
Total - 77.8%

Kade:
Main - 81.9%
Finals - 76.0%
Total - 78.0%

In a mirror image of my first roulette, where the final listen swayed the decision against Kade, the final listen this morning helps him out this time - by the narrowest of margins.  Congrats dude… that’s two in a row for you.  Maybe Brent can make it a hat-trick for ya - unless of course he’s got a vindictive streak in him.   :biggrin:

Thanks to everyone, putting up with my mind games, tough ranking system, but most importantly, for giving me some awesome tunes.  139 new tunes/bands, and only a couple of handfuls were duds.  Got lots of experimenting to do over the coming weeks/months.

Congrats to all.  As usual, I'm the real winner; my wallet is the biggest loser.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Final Results - no more mind games
« Reply #1045 on: November 08, 2015, 08:45:26 PM »
Well done Kade...............and congratulations to the other 5 finalists in my roulette too  :xbones :biggrin:

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1046 on: November 08, 2015, 08:48:32 PM »

Fuck yeah!!!!  :metal :metal :metal

Unreal how close it came.  Should thank Malpractice hey Chad hahaha.

Awesome roulette, very well run and a pleasure to be involved from start to finish.

As usual, I'm the real winner; my wallet is the biggest loser.

You knew that was going to be the case from the start though.  :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1048 on: November 08, 2015, 09:26:15 PM »
Thanks fellas.

Actually starting to look forward to running mine after this, Brent's and Tim's.  Lots of bands that have been submitted that I've never heard of, so good stuff.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1049 on: November 08, 2015, 09:43:51 PM »
Awesome job Kade!!!