Author Topic: Dream Concert - Both Mikes behind the kit  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Rickharris1011

Dream Concert - Both Mikes behind the kit
« on: August 28, 2015, 09:50:28 AM »
I was listening to Fillmore East - Allman Brothers last night and it hit me they played the whole show (pretty much) with two drummers.
Stepping outside the bounds of reality for a bit - wouldn't it be awesome to see DT with both Mike's playing?  They have the technical chops that the could mirror/counterpoint each other and with their abilities could probably do some amazing interesting things.  And what a drum duet that could be!  Dueling drummers! 

I'd specifically love to see the two of them play SDOIT together.  Particularly About to Crash (awesome groove), War Inside My Head and TTTSTA. 

If you agree with me this would be awesome, what song(s) would you like to see them play together?

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Dream Concert - Both Mikes behind the kit
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 10:02:46 AM »
Beneath the Surface.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 10:10:46 AM »
A Change of Seasons would be pretty cool. Really any of the epics would work. I would absolutely love to see a drum duel with The Dance of Eternity. The Shattered Fortress would kick ass as well. A lot of opportunities for counterpoints and trade offs in that one. I guess Metropolis would be cool. I'm also going to say Breaking All Illusions just because I've always wondered what Portnoy would do with the songs written after his departure and since BAI is my favorite post-MP song, I decided to go with that one for this.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Rickharris1011

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 10:12:40 AM »
Beneath the Surface.

Far From Heaven, Wait for Sleep and Vacant would round out that set nicely  ;)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 10:26:29 AM »
I don't think DT's music is well-suited for two drummers. I mean, the songs are usually very busy in terms of drum orchestration, and MP never plays a song the same way, so I can only imagine Mangini's parts crashing with MP's with a mess as a result.

I dunno, I could be wrong.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 10:29:05 AM »
This happened, sort of. 

When MP was still in the band (I think this was during the 6DOIT tour), Mangini guested during the Boston show.  They did a drum duet on MP's giant Siamese Monster kit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 11:59:26 AM »
And as a sort of "music history", the Allman's ALWAYS had two drummers (Jaimoe Johanson and Butch Trucks; Butch's nephew Derek later joined the band as second guitar player), and in fact, since 1991, have had two drummers AND a percussionist (Mark Quinones).   (I think there was a short spell in the early 80's where Jaimoe moved on, but there was a second drummer brought in, I can't remember his name).

The Grateful Dead had two drummers - Bill Kreutzman and Mickey Hart - from 1967 through the present, live and in studio, (with a short period from 1971 through fall of 1974 when Mickey Hart took leave and was not replaced).

Also, Widespread Panic uses a sort of two drummer setup (main drummer, and a percussionist), and Genesis famously toured with two drummers from 1976 (when Phil assumed lead vocals as well as studio drumming) through the present.  The Doobies, King Crimson, and Slipknot have all used two drummers at various points in their careers.

I love the sound of two drummers.   If the players don't step on each others toes, it makes it so full and rhythmic.    Having said that, while I have no doubt that the Mike's could do it, I don't think the material lends itself to that.  It might be more of a novelty than anything else.  Having said that, I would pay hard earned money for Portnoy to do an album with a second drummer.   His arranging skills would make that kick ass, I feel.   

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 12:03:54 PM »
Doesn't anybody have any feelings toward the drum tech?  That poor bastard if this scenario happened.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 12:23:57 PM »
Yes, I was there.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 01:22:06 PM »
And as a sort of "music history", the Allman's ALWAYS had two drummers (Jaimoe Johanson and Butch Trucks; Butch's nephew Derek later joined the band as second guitar player), and in fact, since 1991, have had two drummers AND a percussionist (Mark Quinones).   (I think there was a short spell in the early 80's where Jaimoe moved on, but there was a second drummer brought in, I can't remember his name).

The Grateful Dead had two drummers - Bill Kreutzman and Mickey Hart - from 1967 through the present, live and in studio, (with a short period from 1971 through fall of 1974 when Mickey Hart took leave and was not replaced).

Also, Widespread Panic uses a sort of two drummer setup (main drummer, and a percussionist), and Genesis famously toured with two drummers from 1976 (when Phil assumed lead vocals as well as studio drumming) through the present.  The Doobies, King Crimson, and Slipknot have all used two drummers at various points in their careers.
Related point:  On Bob Seger's song "Hollywood Nights", there are two separate drum tracks recorded by his drummer, with separate patterns.  So it sounds like two drummers.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 02:32:26 PM »
It would be great if they could do that at some point down the line, like a special anniversary show or something.  It's even more cool that they actually did it before.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 03:51:19 PM »
I think the OP was asking for a list of songs that we think would sound good or even better played by both drummers. I know that not ALL of these songs could be played at one show, but maybe if they had a rotating set-list...

A Fortune in Lies

Take the Time
Under a Glass Moon

6:00
Erotomania
Scarred

A Change of Seasons

New Millennium
Just Let Me Breathe
Overture 1928 / Strange Deja Vu
The Dance of Eternity

The Glass Prison
War Inside My Head / The Test That Stumped Them All

This Dying Soul
Honor Thy Father
Stream of Consciousness

Panic Attack
Octavarium

In the Presence of Enemies, part 1
Constant Motion
The Dark Eternal Night

A Nightmare to Remember
The Shattered Fortress
Stargazer

Lost Not Forgotten
Bridges in the Sky
Breaking All Illusions

The Enemy Inside
Enigma Machine
Behind the Veil
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 04:13:54 PM »

I love the sound of two drummers.   If the players don't step on each others toes, it makes it so full and rhythmic.    Having said that, while I have no doubt that the Mike's could do it, I don't think the material lends itself to that.  It might be more of a novelty than anything else.  Having said that, I would pay hard earned money for Portnoy to do an album with a second drummer.   His arranging skills would make that kick ass, I feel.

As a more prog metal addendum, Crimson Glory used two drummers when they reunited with Midnight in 2006. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkeKAulFWFE
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 04:26:23 PM »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2015, 12:35:52 AM »
Doesn't anybody have any feelings toward the drum tech?  That poor bastard if this scenario happened.

Never mind that, is there even a stage on Earth that could fit both of their drum kits simultaneously? :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 05:55:47 AM »

Never mind that, is there even a stage on Earth that could fit both of their drum kits simultaneously? :lol

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2015, 02:05:42 PM »

It would be a logistical nightmare on so many levels to set up the whole band and their gear, but I think it would be cool to shoot a video here. A drummer battle would be fun to see here.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2015, 06:45:50 PM »

That's the only logical place for a drum duel this epic.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2015, 03:11:16 PM »

It would be a logistical nightmare on so many levels to set up the whole band and their gear, but I think it would be cool to shoot a video here. A drummer battle would be fun to see here.

That reminds me of TLC's Waterfalls Video. 

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD