Author Topic: Women who like Dream Theater  (Read 26390 times)

Offline 425

Re: Women who like Dream Theater
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2015, 07:03:21 PM »
Yes, aside from its irrelevance to the core topic of the thread, it's kind of a strange idea as well. I don't really consider prog anything to be that kind of music. :lol
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2015, 07:07:46 PM »
But growls 425!  Growls! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline 425

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2015, 07:09:37 PM »
Ah of course. Blackwater Park is perfect music for such an occasion. Or, "hold on, I need to scroll to just the right part of A Nightmare to Remember." :lol
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Calvin6s

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2015, 07:28:21 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Calvin6s

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2015, 08:05:06 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2015, 08:19:01 PM »
 :rollin

Perfect response!

Calvin6s

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2015, 08:20:55 PM »
It's all in fun

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2015, 08:22:14 PM »
You know it.  I'd have it no other way my friend.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2015, 12:01:06 PM »
Well, it's not music to roll around too.
Weeeeeell.  :xbones

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2015, 12:25:17 PM »

:lol

I'm 47. I don't need a 20 minutes song.  :lol

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2015, 12:37:55 PM »
I introduced my girlfriend to it a few weeks back. She is in awe of the band especially JR but she hates JLB and says he has a boy scout kind of voice! So I am making a DT instrumental playlist for the purpose of having my two most important indulgences coexist!

She digs LTE stuff as well
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Calvin6s

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2015, 12:47:00 PM »
I'm 47. I don't need a 20 minutes song.  :lol

But it's not about you.   :blush

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2015, 12:57:05 PM »
What do you take me for, a rookie?  Thanks copernicus.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 01:22:32 PM by kingshmegland »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2015, 01:14:26 PM »
Oh my god :rollin

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2015, 11:21:08 PM »
1. Do you know any women who like Dream Theater?

Yes.. I'd say three, but neither of them are really close to me..

2. Did you yourself introduce them to Dream Theater?

No.. None of them..

3. Have you ever failed to get a lady to share in your love with Dream Theater?

No.. In fact I never tried with anyone, female or male..

4. Why didn't she like them?

[This is the kind of questions I prefer to hate rather than the one below that has generated so much -fun- debate :lol]

5. Have you ever "gotten freaky" to DT, if so what song?

Nop.. TDoE came to mind though :heart ..

6. What, in your opinion, is the best Dream Theater song for introducing a women to the world of DT?

Instead of a song, I think that is much better to introduce to someone, anybody (yeah, women and men are different, but also we're all different from each other, whatever the gender) a band they don't know to make them listen an entire album..

And, if the question would have been "what is the best album for introducing someone to DT?", I'd say SFAM.. BC&SL has every DT element, and it would be a sensate choice as for me, but, while SFAM hasn't, flows better and has those little/ballad moments (TMW, THE, TSCO) where you can process better the longer/prog/metal songs that can make you (and should) be interested in DT..

If you don't like an album as SFAM (and I'm trying to ignore my personal tastes, since I like 6 other DT albums more than SFAM) then you'll probably never end up like DT at all.. Anyway, as others have said, is never that simple.. All this kind of things are very subjective, contingent and, most of all, unpredictable..

:justjen
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2015, 01:35:28 AM »
Yeah, took my gf to the first DT gig I ever went to.....not going to do that again.
Point is, the music is too technical, (too many long periods of guitars or keys going weedly weedly weeeee), too loud for her taste,  so basically, to her BORING.

As for gettin' Freaky to DT.....yeah, No. Not going to happen anytime soon. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline r0cken

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2015, 02:32:34 AM »
Oh... I thought it was a thread for the female fans. But then I realized that all the participants are male.
Can I answer the questions too, being a woman?  ;)

1. Do you know any women who like Dream Theater? Me, obviously, and my best (female) friend. Also a female boss at some previous job I had.
2. Did you yourself introduce them to Dream Theater? Nope. Me and my friend kinda got into it together.
3. Have you ever failed to get a lady to share in your love with Dream Theater? Nope, never tried. Wait, does my mom count?
4. Why didn't she like them? Mom was appreciative, but she's not into rock/metal music in general.
5. Have you ever "gotten freaky" to DT, if so what song? Nope.
6. What, in your opinion, is the best Dream Theater song for introducing a women to the world of DT? Short answer: Another Day.
Long answer: Depends on the woman. If she's not into rock or metal, I wouldn't even try. If she is, depends on the genres she likes.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2015, 06:14:55 AM »

I'm adventurous. I would definitely try it.  ;)

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2015, 10:52:35 AM »
6. What, in your opinion, is the best Dream Theater song for introducing a women to the world of DT? Short answer: Another Day.
Long answer: Depends on the woman. If she's not into rock or metal, I wouldn't even try. If she is, depends on the genres she likes.

But here's the thing.. Obviously that depends on the woman, but you can't be sure that because she doesn't like rock, metal or prog thus she won't like DT.. In fact, you can open a door for her that can only be opened that way..

I mean, DT is precisely the type of band that, due to its many facets, you can start listening to one side (melodic let's say -so this is the thing that depends on each individual- or the heavy side if she doesn't like prog but does like metal/rock) and then you can move on and listen to other stuff from the same band or another from the same genre..

OR, you can even like any song from their catalogue without having listened to something similar in your whole life.. Some ppl just like the strange/distinctive/refreshing musical sounds, something different to listen that really surprises you, and there are even the ones who don't get to know they're that way until they hear the certain song/band..

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2015, 11:39:02 AM »
1. Do you know any women who like Dream Theater? Actually yes, one friend who actually tried to seduce me a bit listens to PT and DT and started to listen Haken, JLB solo material and The Dear Hunter because I introduced them to her ::)
2. Did you yourself introduce them to Dream Theater? No.
3. Have you ever failed to get a lady to share in your love with Dream Theater? Never really tried but if I have played one song they have said it was nice.
4. Why didn't she like them? Too complex, not memorable chorus...
5. Have you ever "gotten freaky" to DT, if so what song? Nope I think. Good music kills the atmosphere.
6. What, in your opinion, is the best Dream Theater song for introducing a women to the world of DT? IWBY, TSCO or Another Day.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 01:14:22 PM by YtseJamittaja »
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2015, 11:56:14 AM »
What's so weird?  DT is a male centric style of music, sure there are female fans but we know what the % are.

It's not a response I just felt I needed to post Manowar for some reason.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline r0cken

« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2015, 12:59:40 PM »
But here's the thing.. Obviously that depends on the woman, but you can't be sure that because she doesn't like rock, metal or prog thus she won't like DT.. In fact, you can open a door for her that can only be opened that way..
You're probably right. But that person should at least be actively interested in music, beyond casually listening to what's currently on the radio. A lot of people just don't care.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2015, 02:29:02 PM »
You're probably right. But that person should at least be actively interested in music, beyond casually listening to what's currently on the radio. A lot of people just don't care.

Yes, yes, that's for sure.. In fact, and since we're in that subject, my sister-in-law would be that kind of case.. She listen to some pop (U2 mostly) but doesn't care about music, not at least to be interested in knowing a new band.. If my brother would have to answer the questionnaire, in question 3 he should say "Yeah, I failed miserably, and several times"..  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2015, 03:00:13 PM »
While I would put Up as Pop (though they have an album with that as their name :lol)  I would not say that because someone doesn't like my music doesn't make them wrong. 

Btw, I married a metal head that likes many styles of music and she rocks.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2015, 09:39:28 PM »
Btw, I married a metal head that likes many styles of music and she rocks.
Man, you're lucky. My long time boyfriend is one of those "radio people". He's great and all, even goes to an occasional rock concert with me, but he's not actively interested in listening to albums. Maybe a track here, a track there.

Hey, I failed miserably even with guys, even with rock and metal fans. So I'm kinda discouraged to try DT with regular people.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2015, 05:43:00 PM »

1. Do you know any women who like Dream Theater?

My wife

2. Did you yourself introduce them to Dream Theater?

Yes

3. Have you ever failed to get a lady to share in your love with Dream Theater?
 Never bothered.
4. Why didn't she like them?  N/A

5. Have you ever "gotten freaky" to DT, if so what song?
 Rush yes (accidentally)...Dream Theater No

6. What, in your opinion, is the best Dream Theater song for introducing a women to the world of DT?

I don't know. Hollow Years?  Wait For Sleep? (or as my wife says "Tubular Dream Theater.")

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2015, 05:25:25 AM »
I had sex with Liquid Tension Experiment on last week, does that count?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2015, 05:42:28 AM »

Three Minute Warning?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2015, 05:58:45 AM »

Three Minute Warning?

:rollin

Also listened to Sky Blue by Devin Townsend on a different occasion recently (although we didnt have sex then, but she really digged that album).

Calvin6s

« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2015, 06:46:55 PM »
Obviously the best song for #5 is Anna Lee because of the subliminal possibilities.

Offline Enalya

« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2015, 02:29:36 AM »
Okay, gotta let off some steam here..

Looking at answers to the last question, many of you just suggest SLOW and more MAINSTREAM songs (The Spirit Carries On, Hollow Years, Wait For Sleep - I like these, don't get me wrong).
But please. The first song I heard of DT and that instantly made me a fan was A Nightmare To Remember. And I especially love the heavy stuff (ToT etc.). Don't only feed woman the soft sound, because 1: they don't always like that better and 2: only that doesn't give the idea of what DT is.

Just please look at ones personality, not gender : )

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2015, 05:18:54 AM »
And now we know!  :tup
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2015, 08:51:17 AM »
Enalya, you have a point.  It's sexist for guys to think that girls will only like the less heavy or more mainstream songs.  But you have to admit, it's probably true more often than not.  While there are girls who are into metal and heavier rock, they're the exceptions.  Guys tend to play the percentages, go with what seems will have the best chance.

I mentioned upthread that "Surrounded" happened to catch my wife's attention.  The mellow part, the recap after the crazy jam.  Since then, "Wait for Sleep" got a similar response.  We were in the car, my iPod on shuffle, it came on and she said "Who is this?"  So yeah, personality matters, and generalizing can be bad, but generalizations are also generally true.  My wife listens to a lot of 80's hair metal, so she's not afraid of metal, but she also likes... okay, I have to be sexist again here... a lot of "lite rock" and stuff you'd normally associate with girly girls.  Dream Theater just gets too crazy for her; it's not the metal, it's the instrumental insanity.  But when they chill things down and go more melodic, she likes it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 01:12:50 PM by Orbert »

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2015, 10:14:24 AM »

4. Why didn't she like them?
See Blind Melon review of Dream Theater.

Wow - this is memory lane.  I remember this interview in Guitar or Guitar Player.  I generally disliked Blind Melon before this interview because I couldn't stand Shannon Hoon's voice...I really disliked them afterwards because I thought they were pretentious douchbags (though I admit it was pretty funny when one of them mentioned he (JP) must have a lot of blinking lights in his rig).  I remembered thinking  "I hope Blind Melon is a one hit wonder and disappears quickly"  Turns out I was right, though I wasn't wishing for literal death to lead to their musical demise.

I remember that issue and I remember thinking the same thing.  That I couldn't stand Blind Melon and after reading their take on PMU, I hated them even more.