Author Topic: Women who like Dream Theater  (Read 26362 times)

Offline Enalya

Re: Women who like Dream Theater
« Reply #175 on: September 30, 2015, 12:24:16 PM »
.. Of course you should view it reasonably, which is to accept when people don't like it, and I do accept that. But emotions are different - I feel attacked for a moment, like npiazza explained. And then I recover by telling myself to be rational.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #176 on: September 30, 2015, 02:54:56 PM »
I am exactly the same.  I get personally offended when someone doesn't like DT.  It's like every once of yourself that you put into the music, your heart and soul, it's like it's being attacked.  I can't help but think "how can this person be so cruel as to put something down that feels so personal to me".  It's like if someone spoke bad about my family (though not that extreme, it's the same concept).

I don't know, call it narcissism.

I've felt the same way and sorta understand.

The way culture works now, music is a device used to signal who you are. So if someone says, "Dream Theater's music is silly," they aren't talking about Dream Theater. That person's talking about their fans. It's meant to be an insult.

But being mad just because other people don't like DT is just wanting other people to have the same tastes you have. What would the world be like if everyone thought the same way? It would suck.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #177 on: September 30, 2015, 04:03:01 PM »
Another topic for another thread, maybe, but even if music IS a signal, I'm just not that thin skinned.  If someone wants to attack me for the music I listen to, or the clothes I wear, or the team I root for... that's on them.  I'm not changing my tastes for them, and I'm not losing a minutes sleep over it.  Perhaps if it was my wife or daughter, but beyond that, I just don't have that gene where I feel "attacked" by very much. 

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #178 on: September 30, 2015, 09:13:36 PM »
The way culture works now, music is a device used to signal who you are. So if someone says, "Dream Theater's music is silly," they aren't talking about Dream Theater. That person's talking about their fans. It's meant to be an insult.

Is it really meant to be an insult, or are they simply stating that it's silly to jerk off your guitar to impress people? (because I sort of agree) :P
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #179 on: September 30, 2015, 10:35:13 PM »

Is it really meant to be an insult, or are they simply stating that it's silly to jerk off your guitar to impress people? (because I sort of agree) :P

Wait, wait, are you implying that JP jerks off his guitar to impress people?..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Calvin6s

« Reply #180 on: September 30, 2015, 10:39:34 PM »
The exaggerator

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #181 on: September 30, 2015, 10:49:17 PM »
The sarcastic, maybe..  :lol
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #182 on: September 30, 2015, 11:06:31 PM »
The guitar certainly enjoys it
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline r0cken

« Reply #183 on: September 30, 2015, 11:13:43 PM »
...music is a device used to signal who you are.
It's so simple and true. Also a lot of people connect with music on a deeply emotional, personal level. So, as childish as it sounds, it's not that weird to take it personally when someone puts down your favorite musicians.
This month a co-worker told me Slash was a terrible guitarist and that he hates him. I felt personally insulted, and actually thought less of that co-worker.  :facepalm:

Calvin6s

« Reply #184 on: September 30, 2015, 11:35:47 PM »
The guitar certainly enjoys it

The John Petrucci Red Rocket model.  Where can I buy it?

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #185 on: October 01, 2015, 12:26:12 AM »
1. Do you know any women who like Dream Theater?
Just a few
2. Did you yourself introduce them to Dream Theater?
I introduced my cousin to DT many years ago with I&W and then my girlfriend.
She used to listen to Pink Floyd, so I told her to listen to DSODM bootleg.
Both of them came with me to the Meet & Greet and for my girlfriend the last it's been the
fourth live!
3. Have you ever failed to get a lady to share in your love with Dream Theater?
They always turn down the volume in my car... ;D
4. Why didn't she like them?
It was not their genre..
5. Have you ever "gotten freaky" to DT, if so what song?
The discography..  :lol
6. What, in your opinion, is the best Dream Theater song for introducing a women to the world of DT?
TSCO, IWBY or something from FII.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #186 on: October 01, 2015, 11:35:25 PM »
I don't know how many people here know about MBTI, but is it safe to say that N types (intuitives) overall prefer DT over S types (sensors)?

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #187 on: October 01, 2015, 11:52:20 PM »
^^^ Normally when we categorize people like that, there's always exceptions to the trends. So you can't really say anything certain or absolute about it, but who knows, you could be onto something there. That is, if Carl Jung was also onto something regarding if it's possible to categorise or identify our psychological states. Unfortunately it's not really provable but then again all the fun ideas are impossible to prove. lol  ;)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #188 on: October 02, 2015, 08:05:42 AM »
The thing about Slash is, a lot of people seem to "hate" him, I think what they're trying to say is they don't like how much credit and fame he gets for the amount of skill he has? I love his recent work myself, but the thing that annoys me is when people praise things like the November Rain solo, which to me sounds pretty much like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g762REJWcg
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #189 on: October 02, 2015, 12:09:59 PM »
The thing about Slash is, a lot of people seem to "hate" him, I think what they're trying to say is they don't like how much credit and fame he gets for the amount of skill he has? I love his recent work myself, but the thing that annoys me is when people praise things like the November Rain solo, which to me sounds pretty much like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g762REJWcg

I'm actually very glad one of the commenters provided the tab for that.   Consider that learned!!!

Seriously, though, there's no room for that no matter what the reason.   So what he gets credit?  How do you control that?   In my view, if he DOES get credit (and not saying he does) it's partly because he's the normal one in the group!   Adler's a maniac, Axl is on his own planet, Izzy was AWOL from Day 2, and Duff, well, he might be normal too, but he's not the guy standing on the grand piano, is he?   

Calvin6s

« Reply #190 on: October 02, 2015, 12:57:34 PM »
The November Rain solo sounds like a guy that can't play guitar to save his life?  What?

Offline r0cken

« Reply #191 on: January 15, 2016, 05:15:53 AM »
This woman here got a guy totally unrelated to anything metal and even rock (never heard of Hendrix!) to listen to DT yesterday. He liked "Forsaken"!
 :hat
Just a thought, women could be a good vehicle for spreading good music, if they wanted to. Guys would probably gladly listen to stuff just to impress them.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: January 15, 2016, 06:32:39 AM »
This woman here got a guy totally unrelated to anything metal and even rock (never heard of Hendrix!) to listen to DT yesterday. He liked "Forsaken"!
Just a thought, women could be a good vehicle for spreading good music, if they wanted to. Guys would probably gladly listen to stuff just to impress them.

Maybe, a girl recently tried to get me to listen to country music.  I listened, I gave her my honest opinion on not being totally into it, but respecting the musicianship as I enjoyed it more than listening to Justin Beiber.   :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #193 on: January 15, 2016, 06:42:34 AM »
Any girl who listens to Dream  Theater is a dating option.  There's a psychology behind it for me that tells me she's intriguing and unconventional.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #194 on: January 15, 2016, 06:53:48 AM »
Any girl who listens to Dream  Theater is a dating option.  There's a psychology behind it for me that tells me she's intriguing and unconventional.

I married one.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TK

« Reply #195 on: January 15, 2016, 07:20:13 AM »

I married one.

Me too.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #196 on: January 15, 2016, 12:06:05 PM »
So did I, but now we're not together.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: January 15, 2016, 12:12:21 PM »
Other DT fish in the sea.

21 years + married so far.  We're seeing the Boston show with a buddy of mine.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #198 on: January 15, 2016, 12:16:43 PM »
Out of curiosity, just how many are there? A brief questionnaire:

Yes, myself and the other's on this message board. Don't think I know any in person though.
My husband introduced me to DT
I have failed to get men to like DT
JLB's voice is a driver I think from what I remember
Actually - I don't think I have... which is strange.
6. What, in your opinion, is the best Dream Theater song for introducing a women to the world of DT?
SFaM is what sucked me in

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #199 on: January 15, 2016, 12:29:29 PM »
Other DT fish in the sea.

21 years + married so far.  We're seeing the Boston show with a buddy of mine.

Awesome.  :metal

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #200 on: January 15, 2016, 12:32:02 PM »
I think people that get offended by others not liking DT need a bit of self-stem, really  :P

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #201 on: January 15, 2016, 12:36:21 PM »
I'd love to give a DT girl my self-stem.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: January 15, 2016, 12:38:35 PM »
I'd love to give a DT girl my self-stem.

I think any rock chick you're willing to take their temperature with your self-stem.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #203 on: January 15, 2016, 05:04:34 PM »

I KNEW you'd do that, I KNEW it before I clicked it!!
But yes, I totally agree
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #204 on: January 17, 2016, 07:11:25 PM »
Sorry, kinda late to the thread.

Yes
Yes
No. I'm batting 1000. But to be fair, I usually don't show them Dream Theater if I know they would hate it. And none of them fell in love with the band like I did, so maybe they don't "share my love", but they all enjoyed them. They're now my girlfriend's 3rd favorite band behind Panic at the Disco and coheed and cambria  :lol
NA
No, but that's a good idea. In fact, I'll let you guys pick the song.  :biggrin: :corn
Asked my current gf, she said PMU or ITNOG. Asked my ex, she said 8vm. I personally think PMU or BAI.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #205 on: January 17, 2016, 07:29:59 PM »
No, but that's a good idea. In fact, I'll let you guys pick the song.  :biggrin: :corn

The Mirror

"How the dance do you fuck to the mirror?"
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 08:07:44 PM by IDontNotDoThings »
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #206 on: January 17, 2016, 07:44:31 PM »

Through my Words :neverusethis:

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #207 on: January 17, 2016, 08:14:30 PM »
This'll be fun to explain to her lol. I think I'll throw in ANTR and do the roar when I cum
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline DT_12_Octavarium

« Reply #208 on: January 20, 2016, 06:35:54 AM »
Every woman I am friends with likes DT, mainly because I don't associate with anti-DT people. If they arent intelligent enough to understand the complexity and beauty in DT's music, then they are not someone I want to hang around

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #209 on: January 20, 2016, 06:39:17 AM »
Every woman I am friends with likes DT, mainly because I don't associate with anti-DT people. If they arent intelligent enough to understand the complexity and beauty in DT's music, then they are not someone I want to hang around
This comment has 'ignorant' written all over it.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.