Author Topic: Women who like Dream Theater  (Read 26373 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Women who like Dream Theater
« Reply #140 on: September 23, 2015, 12:11:40 PM »
Why would you introduce someone you don't know to anything?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #141 on: September 23, 2015, 12:42:13 PM »

Where's Peter Graves when you need him?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #142 on: September 23, 2015, 12:43:36 PM »
lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #143 on: September 23, 2015, 01:00:22 PM »

Yeah, I was ambiguous with that.. I didn't mean "anything".. I meant without knowing in depth to that person..

Among the people we are in contact, there's generally more we barely know than those we know better.. And I would (and I did in fact) introduce DT to someone I'm in touch though I'm not sure about his/her personal preferences..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Calvin6s

« Reply #144 on: September 23, 2015, 02:57:48 PM »
Still the question remains: what [insert band] songs are the best to introduce to a woman?
The answer is still "depends".

But if it is a long term sexual relationship and we are sticking with Dream Theater.

1st to 3rd date:  Erotomania
Monogamy and testing established: Raw Dog
Time to spice it up:  Anna Lee (or on The Backs of Angels)
Wedding song:  Eve
Infidelity:  Home (unedited)
Separation / Divorce song:  Never Enough
One spouse passes:  Another Day, Take Away My Pain or The Best of Times, A Change of Seasons

Going out dancing: uhmm ..... 

Offline Enalya

« Reply #145 on: September 23, 2015, 02:59:25 PM »
Still the question remains: what [insert band] songs are the best to introduce to a woman?

But if it is a long term sexual relationship and we are sticking with Dream Theater.

One spouse passes:  Another Day, Take Away My Pain or The Best of Times, A Change of Seasons

:rollin You made my day lol

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2015, 05:04:34 PM »

:lol

Prophets of War or the short electronic drum part of In the Name of God on loop.

Or... The Dance of Eternity!

Offline pcs90

« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2015, 05:08:07 PM »
If the part near the beginning of Breaking All Illusions with the synth line was in 4/4 it could be danceable, I think...

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2015, 07:40:44 PM »
Those are good.. I got a better one though: Stream of Consciousness at 3:19..

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #149 on: September 23, 2015, 09:49:40 PM »

You forgot Raise the Knife for divorce and Probably Disappear for separation and/or passing. :P

Anyway, I've found you can't really introduce music to people. Well, you can but you'll have to do a lot more work. When the tables are turned and I have people trying to convert me to certain bands or types of music, sure I'll take a listen, I might even appreciate or enjoy some of it. But it better be god damn amazing if they want me to come back to it on my own later on. Do you guys find you enjoy music more when you discover it yourself as opposed to being told what to like or agreeing with someone else's preferences? I don't like to think it's stubbornness (thought it might well be), it's just I encounter resistance to someone pushing a type of music, I feel it's more satisfying when you discover something on your own but maybe that's just me.  :lol

Offline pcs90

« Reply #150 on: September 23, 2015, 09:53:26 PM »
Do you guys find you enjoy music more when you discover it yourself as opposed to being told what to like or agreeing with someone else's preferences? I don't like to think it's stubbornness (thought it might well be), it's just I encounter resistance to someone pushing a type of music, I feel it's more satisfying when you discover something on your own but maybe that's just me.  :lol

If I like the music, regardless of how I heard it, then I'll listen to it. It doesn't matter if someone else showed it to me or I found it on my own.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #151 on: September 23, 2015, 10:32:04 PM »
I encounter resistance to someone pushing a type of music
Yep, you're not alone. I'm the same with everything (music, movies, books...). I like to think of it as having very specific tastes, and knowing exactly what I want. So people who don't know me well can barely guess what I would like.
I'm probably wrong, though.  :)

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #152 on: September 24, 2015, 01:14:56 AM »
npiazza, yea I think you're spot on. As you said, the same goes for men (these types of people make up a HUGE portion of the world). But apparently a higher number of men than women is pulled towards bands like DT. It's interesting to think about what the reasons are. There have been named quite some legit things already in this thread, like social factors, the dancing factor etc. But I stick with it that aren't the complex or mellow factors.

Furthermore, it's useless to know what is general, because you'd be introducing the band to someone you know (you don't go up the streets to preach DT songs, do ya :lol).

Lastly, we do see more and more females coming to DT concerts, so lets see how it's in 10 years : )

Very true, men DO seem to be drawn to DT more than women...huh.  It's very interesting.  I get why mainstream audiences aren't crazy about it, but if you take men and women by themselves (the ones separate from the mainstream audience), what about men draws them to DT more?  Well, you're a woman, what drew you to DT?  I would assume (and I reserve the right to be 100% wrong) that the aspects of DTs music that drew you to them, would also work on other women...or perhaps it is just people with your personality type, whether it be man or woman.

Either way, it's very interesting to me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #153 on: September 24, 2015, 07:09:31 AM »
npiazza, yea I think you're spot on. As you said, the same goes for men (these types of people make up a HUGE portion of the world). But apparently a higher number of men than women is pulled towards bands like DT. It's interesting to think about what the reasons are. There have been named quite some legit things already in this thread, like social factors, the dancing factor etc. But I stick with it that aren't the complex or mellow factors.

Furthermore, it's useless to know what is general, because you'd be introducing the band to someone you know (you don't go up the streets to preach DT songs, do ya :lol).

Lastly, we do see more and more females coming to DT concerts, so lets see how it's in 10 years : )

Very true, men DO seem to be drawn to DT more than women...huh.  It's very interesting.  I get why mainstream audiences aren't crazy about it, but if you take men and women by themselves (the ones separate from the mainstream audience), what about men draws them to DT more?  Well, you're a woman, what drew you to DT?  I would assume (and I reserve the right to be 100% wrong) that the aspects of DTs music that drew you to them, would also work on other women...or perhaps it is just people with your personality type, whether it be man or woman.

Understanding that we can only talk in generalizations, I think I answered this a couple posts back.  GENERALLY speaking, men are systemizers (they are drawn to the complexity and structure of something - the HOW does it react to people emotionally) and women are empathizers (they are drawn to the actual emotional reaction).  That is NOT to say that men like things more complex, it's just that that is the variable they will be drawn to.    It explains a lot about the cross-gender appeal of bands like AC/DC and Van Halen, for sure, and explains why bands like DT (and a lot of prog bands for that matter) are generally accepted by more males than females. 

And there are always exceptions.  That's what makes the world a beautiful place.  The exceptions. 

Offline Enalya

« Reply #154 on: September 27, 2015, 04:42:02 AM »
Well, you're a woman, what drew you to DT?  I would assume (and I reserve the right to be 100% wrong) that the aspects of DTs music that drew you to them, would also work on other women...or perhaps it is just people with your personality type, whether it be man or woman.

Oh that is an interesting question which I can't fully substantiate, but here goes: I never listened to prog (metal), I was completely into symphonic metal (Nightwish, Epica etc.) and pagan/folk (Wintersun, Turisas, Equilibrium, Finntroll etc.). Then, one rainy night when the streets were dark and the dogs would bark..  :hat
No lol, someone posted A Nightmare To Remember on facebook and I was simply attracted to the album art so clicked it. I was completely taken by surprise. I loved every single note; from start to end. I loved the mystery, the sound, the vocals, the complexity and weird elements I never heard before.
So I yearned for more but I thought the band had just had a happy accident with that song and that I happened to like it by chance (like my experience with other bands). But I (luckily) found Score first on YouTube and I thought I'd listen a song or two. But then I watched the whole damn thing without a break or winking my eyes. Never looked back since :heart

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #155 on: September 27, 2015, 04:54:27 AM »
Nice!

So, what do you think of A Nightmare to Remember now?  Do you still like it as much, or has hearing DT's other music changed your viewpoint?

Offline Enalya

« Reply #156 on: September 27, 2015, 01:23:27 PM »
Nice! So, what do you think of A Nightmare to Remember now?  Do you still like it as much, or has hearing DT's other music changed your viewpoint?

I still love it nearly as much as I did when I heard it the first time (although no fan of the cookie monster part). But the mystery is a bit gone, since I now know where the lyrics are about. I wish I didn't - 'the man without a face' sentence was so mysterious when I didn't know what it was about :lol At first I thought it was a surrealism. But well, it's still a gem and especially the part:

In peaceful sedation, I lay half awake
And all of the panic inside starts to fade.
Hopelessly drifting,
Bathing in beautiful agony

Now I'm searching for more prog metal. And what DT also did for me, is ruin other bands or new bands that don't stand a chance now -.-

Offline pcs90

« Reply #157 on: September 27, 2015, 01:31:00 PM »
But well, it's still a gem and especially the part:

In peaceful sedation, I lay half awake
And all of the panic inside starts to fade.
Hopelessly drifting,
Bathing in beautiful agony

Yep, that section is the best part of the song!

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #158 on: September 27, 2015, 02:36:26 PM »
And what DT also did for me, is ruin other bands or new bands that don't stand a chance now -.-

Yeah, it happens..  :lol

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #159 on: September 27, 2015, 10:34:51 PM »
Well, you're a woman, what drew you to DT?  I would assume (and I reserve the right to be 100% wrong) that the aspects of DTs music that drew you to them, would also work on other women...or perhaps it is just people with your personality type, whether it be man or woman.

Oh that is an interesting question which I can't fully substantiate, but here goes: I never listened to prog (metal), I was completely into symphonic metal (Nightwish, Epica etc.) and pagan/folk (Wintersun, Turisas, Equilibrium, Finntroll etc.). Then, one rainy night when the streets were dark and the dogs would bark..  :hat
No lol, someone posted A Nightmare To Remember on facebook and I was simply attracted to the album art so clicked it. I was completely taken by surprise. I loved every single note; from start to end. I loved the mystery, the sound, the vocals, the complexity and weird elements I never heard before.
So I yearned for more but I thought the band had just had a happy accident with that song and that I happened to like it by chance (like my experience with other bands). But I (luckily) found Score first on YouTube and I thought I'd listen a song or two. But then I watched the whole damn thing without a break or winking my eyes. Never looked back since :heart

Wow that's impressive...My first DT album was I&W and any track above 8 minutes usually turned me off at that point.  After I fell in love with I&W I started to youtube as many DT songs I could find.  ANTR was one of the main songs I stayed away from at first due to its length.  Before DT I listened to Megadeth, Rob Zombie, Motley Crue, Metallica, Twisted Sister, stuff like that (and I still do).  So ANTR's gargantuan run time of 16+ minutes turned me off at first.

Ironically, ANTR is my #1 DT song...everything about it is amazing.  Like you, I wish I didn't know what the subject matter was about (and this holds true with all music I listen to) because I like to come up with my own interpretation (makes it more personal, and how you imagine it is usually better, in your mind, than what the lyrics actually mean).  The lyrics are interesting, but there's no mystery to it anymore.

I too absolutely love the "Beautiful Agony" part.  It is the most beautiful passage in any DT song bar none.  It's only competition comes from 4:20-12:16 in Octavarium.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #160 on: September 27, 2015, 10:54:02 PM »
Wow that's impressive...My first DT album was I&W and any track above 8 minutes usually turned me off at that point.  After I fell in love with I&W I started to youtube as many DT songs I could find.  ANTR was one of the main songs I stayed away from at first due to its length.  Before DT I listened to Megadeth, Rob Zombie, Motley Crue, Metallica, Twisted Sister, stuff like that (and I still do).  So ANTR's gargantuan run time of 16+ minutes turned me off at first.

That's also impressive.. I mean, at first you were missing all the epics.. :P

Offline Enalya

« Reply #161 on: September 28, 2015, 05:12:25 AM »
Wow that's impressive...My first DT album was I&W and any track above 8 minutes usually turned me off at that point.
(...) Ironically, ANTR is my #1 DT song...everything about it is amazing.

Cool! I listened to ANTR this morning with my dad in the car (high volume). All pieces together just make it a great song. It would be a dream if they'd do it live when I am present, but they don't do that one much.

Why did long tracks turn you off? I am always disappointed with short (3-4 minute) tracks ::) Like not enough has been explored or it has just started.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #162 on: September 28, 2015, 06:41:00 AM »
Now I'm searching for more prog metal. And what DT also did for me, is ruin other bands or new bands that don't stand a chance now -.-
Try Haken.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #163 on: September 28, 2015, 11:48:12 AM »
Try Haken.

THIS
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #164 on: September 28, 2015, 12:34:07 PM »
Wow that's impressive...My first DT album was I&W and any track above 8 minutes usually turned me off at that point.
(...) Ironically, ANTR is my #1 DT song...everything about it is amazing.

Cool! I listened to ANTR this morning with my dad in the car (high volume). All pieces together just make it a great song. It would be a dream if they'd do it live when I am present, but they don't do that one much.

Why did long tracks turn you off? I am always disappointed with short (3-4 minute) tracks ::) Like not enough has been explored or it has just started.

Nice, I wish I had family members who listen to DT.  See, back then, I was used to 4 minutes songs and that was really what my brain was able to grasp the best, it made sense to me.  Anything "too long" was sort of scary to me I guess.  But it's completely different now.  Shorter songs disappoint me now, I keep thinking "it hasn't even started yet and now it's over".  Of course, this is only really for prog. Long songs don't really work in traditional heavy metal.  I know Megadeth has a 9 minute song and it's almost torturous to get through.  You can't have a basic verse-chorus-verse-chorus format and make it a 10 minute song.  Think about any pop song and imagine it as 10 minutes...it just doesn't work.  The beauty of DT is, they do so much with their music that keep you interested and sometimes 10 minutes isn't even long enough.

Offline Enalya

« Reply #165 on: September 28, 2015, 01:26:08 PM »
Try Haken.

I will, thanks!

Shorter songs disappoint me now, I keep thinking "it hasn't even started yet and now it's over".  Of course, this is only really for prog. Long songs don't really work in traditional heavy metal.  I know Megadeth has a 9 minute song and it's almost torturous to get through.  You can't have a basic verse-chorus-verse-chorus format and make it a 10 minute song.

Not only prog. I've loved long tracks for a decade now - Nightwish has them (one of 24 minutes: The Greatest Show on Earth, must listen), Wintersun (ongoing album of 40 minutes: Time II), Moonsorrow (26 minute song: Jotunheim), even Hammerfall with an instrumental: Something for the Ages :p But of course, it's not the length that makes good songs. It's just perfect when it dóes need that time, fits and doesn't bore - when you can really sit down for it.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #166 on: September 29, 2015, 02:10:59 AM »
  Well, you're a woman, what drew you to DT?  I would assume (and I reserve the right to be 100% wrong) that the aspects of DTs music that drew you to them, would also work on other women...
It's time to exercise that right (to be wrong).  ;)
I would suggest people don't assume anything about anyone's music taste, until they get to know them (at least a little). It's the same logic that often gets men into trouble with girls - they assume that since their previous girlfriend liked X, their next girlfriend is going to be into it as well. There are some generalizations out there that might work, but it's better for everyone to "research" a person a bit, before trying anything.

If you absolutely must suggest DT music to a woman you know nothing about, and can't research beforehand, I would still suggest something like "Another Day". That goes along with other gross generalizations like roses, candles and chocolate.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #167 on: September 29, 2015, 02:22:01 AM »
Try Haken.

I will, thanks!

Shorter songs disappoint me now, I keep thinking "it hasn't even started yet and now it's over".  Of course, this is only really for prog. Long songs don't really work in traditional heavy metal.  I know Megadeth has a 9 minute song and it's almost torturous to get through.  You can't have a basic verse-chorus-verse-chorus format and make it a 10 minute song.

Not only prog. I've loved long tracks for a decade now - Nightwish has them (one of 24 minutes: The Greatest Show on Earth, must listen), Wintersun (ongoing album of 40 minutes: Time II), Moonsorrow (26 minute song: Jotunheim), even Hammerfall with an instrumental: Something for the Ages :p But of course, it's not the length that makes good songs. It's just perfect when it dóes need that time, fits and doesn't bore - when you can really sit down for it.

Try Redemption. Great emotion there.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #168 on: September 29, 2015, 08:19:11 AM »
  Well, you're a woman, what drew you to DT?  I would assume (and I reserve the right to be 100% wrong) that the aspects of DTs music that drew you to them, would also work on other women...
It's time to exercise that right (to be wrong).  ;)
I would suggest people don't assume anything about anyone's music taste, until they get to know them (at least a little). It's the same logic that often gets men into trouble with girls - they assume that since their previous girlfriend liked X, their next girlfriend is going to be into it as well. There are some generalizations out there that might work, but it's better for everyone to "research" a person a bit, before trying anything.

If you absolutely must suggest DT music to a woman you know nothing about, and can't research beforehand, I would still suggest something like "Another Day". That goes along with other gross generalizations like roses, candles and chocolate.

Not that it matters, but that wasn't me that said that; I am personally not big on 'introducing' music to people.  Not my thing.  To me it smacks of self-justification.    If I'm listening to something and someone likes it, I will share it, but very rarely do I ever try to "get" someone to like something.    The most I will do is a mix tape to send a message (a la love songs) or I will on occasion play a song for someone if I am surprised they have never heard it before (my wife and I were watching a movie with Kris Kristofferson in it, who's music I LOVE, and she said she never heard his music, so I played "Me And Bobby McGee" to her, which he wrote). 

Offline Enalya

« Reply #169 on: September 29, 2015, 03:36:44 PM »
Same for me actually, Stadler. And it's so personal and important to me, that I could feel attacked/embarrassed when someone wouldn't like it.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #170 on: September 29, 2015, 03:40:01 PM »
I learned to keep my "weird" musical tastes to myself. The days of introducing people to DT or other bands I like are mostly gone, even though I have retained a certain ability to guess which individual song by some group I like a friend of mine would appreciate the most.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Calvin6s

« Reply #171 on: September 29, 2015, 04:55:58 PM »
Same for me actually, Stadler. And it's so personal and important to me, that I could feel attacked/embarrassed when someone wouldn't like it.

You have to roll with the punches.

It is common for people to change lyrics into something amusing.  Dokken's "You Just Got Lucky" became "You're Just So Ugly".  Simple dumb things like that.  Just enjoy it instead of getting defensive.

And then there are songs that need very little changing
I'm only seventeen (seventeen), you ain't seen love, ain't seen nothing like me
She's only seventeen, seventeen yeah yea

Grinder
Looking for meat
Grinder
Wants you to eat

How do you not just laugh with it?

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #172 on: September 30, 2015, 02:20:40 AM »

I am exactly the same.  I get personally offended when someone doesn't like DT.  It's like every once of yourself that you put into the music, your heart and soul, it's like it's being attacked.  I can't help but think "how can this person be so cruel as to put something down that feels so personal to me".  It's like if someone spoke bad about my family (though not that extreme, it's the same concept).

I don't know, call it narcissism.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #173 on: September 30, 2015, 04:28:19 AM »
Dude, WTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #174 on: September 30, 2015, 11:29:26 AM »
 :lol

I love DT but I completely understand, like in life, people have different tastes.  There's no rhyme or reason.

Dude, WTF.

Indeed.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC