Author Topic: Women who like Dream Theater  (Read 26387 times)

Offline Enalya

Re: Women who like Dream Theater
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2015, 03:05:09 PM »
It's not that simple..

It does depend on her person, yes.. But that's just one element.. Others can be: the gender (whatever the percentage or reasons), the country she's from, the musical culture around her, the musical taste of her family/friends, the acces she or you can have to a specific band (DT in this case), the popular this band is, the way you share the song with this woman, your type of relation with her, etc..

Nah, my point won't come across then. But what do I know, from a female point of view. :coolio

J/k that was salty, of course all those elements count but I stay with it that you shouldn't pay too much attention to gender.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2015, 03:07:19 PM »
Still I want to endorse that whatever DT song you would share with a female should depend on her person, not gender.

I completely agree. Really though, this should be true regardless of gender.
A lot of this has already been said in some form above, but the main reason people seem to not like DT is that the music is just too complex or layered. People by default don't usually feel weird time signatures for example, it's not like you can get up and dance to all of them. And, while DT is very melodic, even many of their melodies are more complex than for example a pop radio hit. People want music they can fully grasp instantly, and DT is not designed for that. So really if more people were exposed to this style of music and it became common I think a lot of women would be able to start enjoying it...it's just so unusual from what is considered normal. Kind of like trying completely new food from an unfamiliar culture...some people may love it instantly and some people need a while to really let it sink in.

Some people explain it by saying men also have more interest in maths, but I know more woman studying maths than men.

Well, I am not one of them. I hate math! haha! Actually I know around an equal amount of men and women who like math.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2015, 03:08:45 PM »
..Others can be: the gender (whatever the percentage or reasons)

Nah, my point won't come across then. But what do I know, from a female point of view. :coolio

So you're saying that the gender has nothing to do with the musical taste?.. Or, more specifically, with your taste about a certain song you're listening for the first time?.. I think it has..

The personality or a given choice one could have after knowing a band/song is all that mainly matters, but not the only thing.. As someone said before, generally women are not like men, which it doesn't mean that two individuals, one woman and one man, can't have similar personalities or musical tastes.. We're all humans at the end, but you can't ignore the the gender variable..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Enalya

« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2015, 04:23:35 PM »
I completely agree. Really though, this should be true regardless of gender.
A lot of this has already been said in some form above, but the main reason people seem to not like DT is that the music is just too complex or layered. People by default don't usually feel weird time signatures for example, it's not like you can get up and dance to all of them. And, while DT is very melodic, even many of their melodies are more complex than for example a pop radio hit. People want music they can fully grasp instantly, and DT is not designed for that. So really if more people were exposed to this style of music and it became common I think a lot of women would be able to start enjoying it...it's just so unusual from what is considered normal. Kind of like trying completely new food from an unfamiliar culture...some people may love it instantly and some people need a while to really let it sink in.

Exactly, I also think this (could happen).

So you're saying that the gender has nothing to do with the musical taste?.. Or, more specifically, with your taste about a certain song you're listening for the first time?.. I think it has..

The personality or a given choice one could have after knowing a band/song is all that mainly matters, but not the only thing.. As someone said before, generally women are not like men, which it doesn't mean that two individuals, one woman and one man, can't have similar personalities or musical tastes.. We're all humans at the end, but you can't ignore the the gender variable..

I'm trying to say you shouldn't look at gender when introducing someone to a band. For example, if you would've come up to me with "Hey, listen to The Best of Times to feel all nostalgic" that would've totally been the wrong choice. Panic Attack or Honor Thy Father hooked me right away. Yes, there's always 'numbers and generally'. But it's definitely more safe to first know their personality and base it on that. We are talking about first knowing a woman before introducing her to a band, right?

I just saw all those posts with slow and easy songs as suggestions for woman (which are nice, but don't necessarily reflect the band) - maybe you can imagine some frustration from my side.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2015, 04:41:53 PM »
I think it's funny how were putting percentages and objective measures on the idea that women have largely different tastes than men

this entire thread is strange
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2015, 05:03:16 PM »
My high school female friend attended (willingly :P) DT concert with me and my two friend last year. I introduced her to DT few years ago and she is not big music fan at all. It's weird to her I listen to music all day amd she's surprised how many artist I listen to. But she was there, knew most of the songs DT played and enjoyed the show.
If I recall correctly, her favorites were On the Backs of Angels and Illumination Theory. I don't know why I never asked her did she like Awake (it's quite different than newer stuff she likes) since DT played half of it on that show :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Calvin6s

« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2015, 05:06:13 PM »
I think it's funny how were putting percentages and objective measures on the idea that women have largely different tastes than men

this entire thread is strange

You are missing the point.  There are trends.  And you can apply them to a large group of people.  You just can't apply them to a single person.  That's not objectifying.

This thread started out so fun.    :\

Offline Lucien

« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2015, 05:47:37 PM »
On another note, I would totally get freaky to enigma machine

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2015, 07:31:42 PM »
I'm trying to say you shouldn't look at gender when introducing someone to a band. For example, if you would've come up to me with "Hey, listen to The Best of Times to feel all nostalgic" that would've totally been the wrong choice. Panic Attack or Honor Thy Father hooked me right away. Yes, there's always 'numbers and generally'. But it's definitely more safe to first know their personality and base it on that. We are talking about first knowing a woman before introducing her to a band, right?

I just saw all those posts with slow and easy songs as suggestions for woman (which are nice, but don't necessarily reflect the band) - maybe you can imagine some frustration from my side.

Yes, that's true.. That would be a prejudiced attitude, which most of the times should be something to avoid.. Before continue, let me quote this comments from this very thread:

6. What, in your opinion, is the best Dream Theater song for introducing a women to the world of DT? Short answer: Another Day.
Long answer: Depends on the woman. If she's not into rock or metal, I wouldn't even try. If she is, depends on the genres she likes.

But here's the thing.. Obviously that depends on the woman, but you can't be sure that because she doesn't like rock, metal or prog thus she won't like DT.. In fact, you can open a door for her that can only be opened that way..

I mean, DT is precisely the type of band that, due to its many facets, you can start listening to one side (melodic let's say -so this is the thing that depends on each individual- or the heavy side if she doesn't like prog but does like metal/rock) and then you can move on and listen to other stuff from the same band or another from the same genre..

OR, you can even like any song from their catalogue without having listened to something similar in your whole life.. Some ppl just like the strange/distinctive/refreshing musical sounds, something different to listen that really surprises you, and there are even the ones who don't get to know they're that way until they hear the certain song/band..

So... I think we agree on this one, because, though I'm going beyond the gender there, I'm saying that not even if a woman you know likes slow and easy songs, you can't be sure if she will like or not a DT's heavy or prog song.. You always have to try, that's my way of thinking concerning these kind of issues..

Offline r0cken

« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2015, 01:49:49 AM »
But aren't women in general considered more mellow than men? More gentle? Less aggressive (again)? Don't know if it's cultural or biological, but it's generally agreed upon. It's obvious then, to suggest the mellower songs.
I understand that it might upset the girls that like metal, fast cars and horror movies. But women and men are just inherently different, in more ways than one.

By the way, women are also more social. How many nerdy, loner girls do you know? How many nerdy, loner guys? People with less social life, have more time to get into complex music (and other hobbies).

Offline Enalya

« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2015, 03:37:47 AM »
So... I think we agree on this one, because, though I'm going beyond the gender there, I'm saying that not even if a woman you know likes slow and easy songs, you can't be sure if she will like or not a DT's heavy or prog song.. You always have to try, that's my way of thinking concerning these kind of issues..

Good point, thanks.

But aren't women in general considered more mellow than men? More gentle? Less aggressive (again)? Don't know if it's cultural or biological, but it's generally agreed upon. It's obvious then, to suggest the mellower songs.
I understand that it might upset the girls that like metal, fast cars and horror movies. But women and men are just inherently different, in more ways than one.
By the way, women are also more social. How many nerdy, loner girls do you know? How many nerdy, loner guys? People with less social life, have more time to get into complex music (and other hobbies).

They are, in general, considered more mellow (although I'm starting to doubt that with the number of mellow men rising nowadays xD) - which is ofc fine. Though I don't know that goes as far as musical taste. It could just as well be half half for all I know and see around me. I don't have the numbers. Maybe it is indeed the social life that keeps woman away more often from this kind of music or even hobby. But I wouldn't consider myself a loner (though nerdy) and I'd say most of DTF have a healthy social life (which is just a wild guess, based on nothing :D).

You're right, my apologies, I'll leave it with this :biggrin:

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2015, 09:50:32 AM »

You're right, my apologies, I'll leave it with this :biggrin:

I think the opposite.. It started out a bit weird.. Now it got interesting..

Offline pcs90

« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2015, 10:39:42 AM »
I think the opposite.. It started out a bit weird.. Now it got interesting..
I agree!

Offline Enalya

« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2015, 11:14:07 AM »
Oh okay, continue :'D

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2015, 12:01:22 PM »
Here's something that I don't think has come up yet.  Guys like to think that they're logical, and women don't make sense, but guys also have more tendency to do things "just because they can".  At any large gathering of people, somewhere there will be a group of guys attempting to stack beer cans, or chairs, or automobiles.  Or they'll be seeing who can jump/piss/throw the farthest.  Or make the most baskets while blindfolded, or facing backwards.  Why?  Because they can.  To see who can do it, and do it faster/farther/better than anyone else.

DT's music has a lot of instrumental insanity.  I love that kind of thing.  Even if I don't like the song overall, if it's got a cool break where they go through four key changes and 11 time changes in six minutes, I'm impressed and I'll listen to it again.

But again, I think of the conversations my wife and I have about music.  Her taste in music is as diverse as mine, and there's a lot of overlap, but the instrumental insanity does not interest her at all.  I'll try to say "Listen to this.  The bass is playing the same thing as the keyboards, but at half the speed.  Meanwhile the guitar playing in a different time signature, while the drums..." and she's already heard enough.  Does anything I've described make the music "good"?  Umm... maybe?  Okay, no.  Then why do I like it?  Because it's cool that people even write music like this.

Because they can.  Part of what I love about Dream Theater is that they'll make music that "normal" people would never make.  It's off the charts crazy stuff, and I love it.  To me, yes there is something inherently awesome about doing this kind of music just because you can.  To my wife (and I imagine, most females), that alone does not make the music worth listening to over and over.  You don't do stuff just because you can; you do it because it makes sense to do it.  Does it make sense to write a song in 17/8 time?  Sure it does.  Why?  Because you can!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2015, 12:06:51 PM »
Dude mentality  :metal

Offline jammindude

« Reply #121 on: September 22, 2015, 12:10:07 PM »
That was where I got my "puzzle box" idea.

Straight music is boring to me because it's easy to figure out what they're doing right away.

It's much funner for me (from a puzzle standpoint) to be challenged by my music
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Lucien

« Reply #122 on: September 22, 2015, 12:11:29 PM »
if it's got a cool break where they go through four key changes and 11 time changes in six minutes, I'm impressed and I'll listen to it again.

"Listen to this.  The bass is playing the same thing as the keyboards, but at half the speed.  Meanwhile the guitar playing in a different time signature, while the drums..."  it's cool that people even write music like this.

Because they can.  Part of what I love about Dream Theater is that they'll make music that "normal" people would never make.  It's off the charts crazy stuff, and I love it. Does it make sense to write a song in 17/8 time?  Sure it does.  Why?  Because you can!

honestly imo stuff like that in music seems about as pretentious as atonality  :lol

Offline r0cken

« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2015, 12:16:35 PM »
I wouldn't call their jamming "instrumental insanity". If after a few listens you can hum along to it (and I usually can), there's method to the madness. Even their craziest jams aren't just improvisations, they are structured and melodic.

And back to gender preferences... I wonder, if you take a group of men and women that know nothing about music and nothing about gender roles, and you play them a Justin Bieber song and a Dream Theater song... I bet they would all like the Bieber song better. Cause it's catchy and accessible.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2015, 12:21:32 PM »
I wouldn't call their jamming "instrumental insanity". If after a few listens you can hum along to it (and I usually can), there's method to the madness. Even their craziest jams aren't just improvisations, they are structured and melodic.
Well, even improvised jams can easily be melodic and have structure, and there are many live versions of songs that have extended jams (some composed, some more loose). Even more so if we include Liquid Tension Experiment in this since 3/4 of them were in DT and they're all instrumental.
I'd call the end of Misunderstood "Instrumental Insanity" though!

Offline r0cken

« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2015, 12:26:40 PM »
Well yeah, "Three Minute Warning" is not hummable... But it's nothing close to noise music or the aforementioned atonal music, or even some jazz. These I just can't get. Maybe cause I'm a woman.  ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2015, 12:43:27 PM »
Here's something that I don't think has come up yet.  Guys like to think that they're logical, and women don't make sense, but guys also have more tendency to do things "just because they can".  At any large gathering of people, somewhere there will be a group of guys attempting to stack beer cans, or chairs, or automobiles.  Or they'll be seeing who can jump/piss/throw the farthest.  Or make the most baskets while blindfolded, or facing backwards.  Why?  Because they can.  To see who can do it, and do it faster/farther/better than anyone else.

We tried to throw our piss at a stack of automobiles once.  It was messy.

But again, I think of the conversations my wife and I have about music.  Her taste in music is as diverse as mine, and there's a lot of overlap, but the instrumental insanity does not interest her at all.  I'll try to say "Listen to this.  The bass is playing the same thing as the keyboards, but at half the speed.  Meanwhile the guitar playing in a different time signature, while the drums..." and she's already heard enough.  Does anything I've described make the music "good"?  Umm... maybe?  Okay, no.  Then why do I like it?  Because it's cool that people even write music like this.

Seriously, though, you are on to something.  I had this exact same conversation with my wife last night, I shit you not.  The football game was boring, and Flight 666 was on Palladia, so I switched over, and I was telling her something about The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, and she just looked at me, and I could literally see her eyes glaze over.   But "Can I Play With Madness" had a neat tune!

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2015, 01:09:21 PM »

And back to gender preferences... I wonder, if you take a group of men and women that know nothing about music and nothing about gender roles, and you play them a Justin Bieber song and a Dream Theater song... I bet they would all like the Bieber song better. Cause it's catchy and accessible.

I agree with the first paragraph..

Not with the second though..

Their reactions might be different from what you're expecting.. I mean, I wouldn't say "they would ALL like Bieber over DT".. And I'm saying this regardless the fact that I know many DT female fans like you.. I'm talking about the unpredictable some people (women or men) can be sometimes.. Those women listening to both songs can easily like more the DT one (at least some of them).. So I think you'd lose that bet..  ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2015, 01:12:29 PM »

DT's music has a lot of instrumental insanity.  I love that kind of thing.  Even if I don't like the song overall, if it's got a cool break where they go through four key changes and 11 time changes in six minutes, I'm impressed and I'll listen to it again.

Because they can.  Part of what I love about Dream Theater is that they'll make music that "normal" people would never make.  It's off the charts crazy stuff, and I love it.  To me, yes there is something inherently awesome about doing this kind of music just because you can.  To my wife (and I imagine, most females), that alone does not make the music worth listening to over and over.  You don't do stuff just because you can; you do it because it makes sense to do it.  Does it make sense to write a song in 17/8 time?  Sure it does.  Why?  Because you can!
Orbert strikes again.

I have had this exact thing happen with my wife.

My daughters fare a little better, but only because I raised them.  But my wife is a lost cause.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Enalya

« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2015, 01:38:19 PM »
(...) but guys also have more tendency to do things "just because they can".  At any large gathering of people, somewhere there will be a group of guys attempting to stack beer cans, or chairs, or automobiles.  Or they'll be seeing who can jump/piss/throw the farthest.

Okay, so men are cock fighters, showing off and enjoying other men showing off. Sorry, but I don't believe that for many of my male friends nor DT (the band/listeners).

Does it make sense to write a song in 17/8 time? Sure it does.

These are the exact conversations of awe that I have with my father and friends about DT. I love those weird rhythms and complex melodies and I'm happy that they're able to write and play them. A lot of male friends disagree and think DT is too complex to be catchy. There you have it. Catchy. MEN mind that it's not catchy, in my area.

And that's okay. Everyone has the right to their own taste.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2015, 01:42:14 PM »
Well yeah, "Three Minute Warning" is not hummable... But it's nothing close to noise music or the aforementioned atonal music, or even some jazz. These I just can't get. Maybe cause I'm a woman.  ;D
Well, with the exception of about 10 minutes in...that part is more noise, at least to me. But other than that I completely agree! Jazz is really variable, some of it I just can't listen to and/or don't like. I tend to prefer the groups that have more people involved, and where a lot of different styles are used. Not interested in swing...and less into trio stuff...just sounds very empty and disjointed a lot of the time.

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2015, 08:47:01 PM »
  The thing is, there are plenty of girls out there who would enjoy DT.  I think the problem is that 1) it's not a huge part of pop culture, and 2) it's "too complex" to be able to dance to.  Number 2 is a bit of a nitpick, but I truly think number 1 is a huge reason for it.  If someone isn't out in the open and it's more unknown than what you hear on the radio, then people dismiss it.  People that aren't music fanboys, people that mainly listen to the radio, people that just like certain songs and not the artists specifically, these types of people make up a HUGE portion of the world.  These people don't think too deeply about music, so something that doesn't grab their attention quickly is a "skip" for them.

Also, DT is not a very social band.  It doesn't really make you fist pump and go crazy, it doesn't really belong in parties, it doesn't belong in the gym while you work out, the entire vibe of the band is introverted.  It's "on another level" as I would say, and unfortunately most people don't want music "on another level", they just want to dance, or mosh, or do whatever they do.  DT is the kind of band that you dissect, that leaves a lasting impression.  It's not easy listening in the slightest.  Plus, a lot of their songs are super long.  I think all of these points is good enough reason to see why a lot of the women that you meet would not like them.  I'm just using women as an example, because that's what the topic is about, but I have heard the same from men too.

But I do think that if DT was way more out there in the open, you'd be surprised about how many people get into them.  They are just a bit too below the radar, and the average music listener doesn't want to (or care to) dig through anything to find music.  They like the songs they like and that's it.

But hey, I think you CAN dance to DT.  There has never been prog dancing, but if there can be prog music, then I think prog dancing can be a thing.  Enigma Machine is a very sexy song (in my opinion) so I don't think it would be too hard to make a dance for it.  The Dance of Eternity, Blind Faith, Through Her Eyes (slow dance) and Octavarium would make some epic dances if someone actually took the time out to make one.  Seriously, if someone uploaded a video to youtube making an epic dance of a DT song, if done right, it would go viral.  DT can be danced to, it's just that its listeners don't care to make the time to make a dance for something that isn't made for dancing.  Heck, I can't even dance anyway, so you wouldn't catch me making one.

Calvin6s

« Reply #132 on: September 22, 2015, 10:35:11 PM »
if someone uploaded a video to youtube making an epic dance of a DT song, if done right, it would go viral. 
Just put DT music to these videos
Elaine dance
Sweet Dee dance

They might go viral, but not in the way you are thinking.

Offline Enalya

« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2015, 02:09:39 AM »
npiazza, yea I think you're spot on. As you said, the same goes for men (these types of people make up a HUGE portion of the world). But apparently a higher number of men than women is pulled towards bands like DT. It's interesting to think about what the reasons are. There have been named quite some legit things already in this thread, like social factors, the dancing factor etc. But I stick with it that aren't the complex or mellow factors.

Furthermore, it's useless to know what is general, because you'd be introducing the band to someone you know (you don't go up the streets to preach DT songs, do ya :lol).

Lastly, we do see more and more females coming to DT concerts, so lets see how it's in 10 years : )

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2015, 07:01:35 AM »
  The thing is, there are plenty of girls out there who would enjoy DT.  I think the problem is that 1) it's not a huge part of pop culture, and 2) it's "too complex" to be able to dance to.  Number 2 is a bit of a nitpick, but I truly think number 1 is a huge reason for it.  If someone isn't out in the open and it's more unknown than what you hear on the radio, then people dismiss it.  People that aren't music fanboys, people that mainly listen to the radio, people that just like certain songs and not the artists specifically, these types of people make up a HUGE portion of the world.  These people don't think too deeply about music, so something that doesn't grab their attention quickly is a "skip" for them.

Also, DT is not a very social band.  It doesn't really make you fist pump and go crazy, it doesn't really belong in parties, it doesn't belong in the gym while you work out, the entire vibe of the band is introverted.  It's "on another level" as I would say, and unfortunately most people don't want music "on another level", they just want to dance, or mosh, or do whatever they do.  DT is the kind of band that you dissect, that leaves a lasting impression.  It's not easy listening in the slightest.  Plus, a lot of their songs are super long.  I think all of these points is good enough reason to see why a lot of the women that you meet would not like them.  I'm just using women as an example, because that's what the topic is about, but I have heard the same from men too.

But I do think that if DT was way more out there in the open, you'd be surprised about how many people get into them.  They are just a bit too below the radar, and the average music listener doesn't want to (or care to) dig through anything to find music.  They like the songs they like and that's it.

But hey, I think you CAN dance to DT.  There has never been prog dancing, but if there can be prog music, then I think prog dancing can be a thing.  Enigma Machine is a very sexy song (in my opinion) so I don't think it would be too hard to make a dance for it.  The Dance of Eternity, Blind Faith, Through Her Eyes (slow dance) and Octavarium would make some epic dances if someone actually took the time out to make one.  Seriously, if someone uploaded a video to youtube making an epic dance of a DT song, if done right, it would go viral.  DT can be danced to, it's just that its listeners don't care to make the time to make a dance for something that isn't made for dancing.  Heck, I can't even dance anyway, so you wouldn't catch me making one.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with most of this.   I think this switches cause and effect in favor of you.   Meaning, it is sort of self-rationalizing.  Essentially it is saying that you have found this great music, it is "on another level" and if only the whole world heard it, they'd be as enlightened as you are.

It doesn't work that way.   Bands like this HAVE gone "above" the radar, so to speak, and the outcome is not what you predict.   Rush, Yes, Iron Maiden are all bigger than DT (by a lot) and yet... granted I haven't seen Rush on any of the recent tours (shame on me) but they are just as chock full of sausage as a DT show, and I have seen Maiden, and, well, same thing. 

This isn't about "dancing".  It's not about any one thing, and if it was it would be far more likely that it would be about the lyrics than anything else.  It's about FEEL GOOD, which, to be fair, you did allude to.   Even I fall victim to this once in a while, where I just want three and a half minutes of "no mortgage, no kids, no custody battles, no dick boss, no toilet leaking"... and sometimes I go to DT (Cover My Eyes is my favorite DT song of all time) but honestly, usually I go to Night Ranger or Journey or Cheap Trick or Kiss. 

Don't get me wrong; I'm a DT fan from way back (I bought I&W on release) and I'm here for a reason (though a large part of that reason is pursuing other opportunities at this particular time).  But DT doesn't not appeal to the masses because of exposure.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: September 23, 2015, 07:20:14 AM »
So the question is why.   It turns out, with a little help from Google, that there are pretty significant differences in gender and music preference.   Music preference is pretty strongly tied with the five main personality traits, and as a result is pretty strongly tied with the concepts of "systemizing" and "empathizing" nature of personality profiles.   Put (too) simply, "systemizing" tends to analyze the complexity and structure of something, and "empathizing" tends to analyze the subjective emotional reaction to something.   That is not to say that "men like complex songs" and "women like sad songs"; it is more the reaction to music and what factor resonates.  Studies have shown that women react more emotionally to music than men do, so some of the "generalizations" are accurate, but an artist like Bruno Mars consistently scores high with both men AND women.  So it isn't as if "more complex" means "more male", it just means that that is the trait that will be focused on. 

Msic preference is also tied as much to sexuality as gender, so things like self-views and mood play in as well. 

Offline Enalya

« Reply #136 on: September 23, 2015, 08:24:27 AM »
Fair enough, thanks for searching that up. Though many researches are of bad quality; have only been held under 500 people or the questions weren't good, but lets just go with you.

Still the question remains: what [insert band] songs are the best to introduce to a woman?

The question is just weird and not defined and that's why there are some misunderstandings. You don't just walk up to a random woman and introduce her to DT. You don't walk up to a random woman and say she should go and see Magic Mike in the cinema. My whole point was about when you know the person. So you can't say that should always be Another Day or Hollow Years.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #137 on: September 23, 2015, 10:58:13 AM »
The question is just weird and not defined and that's why there are some misunderstandings. You don't just walk up to a random woman and introduce her to DT. You don't walk up to a random woman and say she should go and see Magic Mike in the cinema. My whole point was about when you know the person. So you can't say that should always be Another Day or Hollow Years.
I agree with all of this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: September 23, 2015, 11:31:50 AM »

But that's a sort of grander question; I personally wouldn't do that for any band. I play what I like and if someone says "hey, what was that?" I explain it, but if they don't, I don't lose a minute's sleep.  I just know that there's little rhyme or reason to what I like, and there is plenty that I SHOULD like and don't (Alter Bridge) and plenty I love that I shouldn't (One Direction, Demi Lovato) that I don't even know what I should be introduced to, let alone someone else.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #139 on: September 23, 2015, 12:03:00 PM »
Still the question remains: what [insert band] songs are the best to introduce to a woman?

Yes, and even more when it's about a band as diverse as DT.. Most of bands don't have the spectrum of music DT has.. According the woman or man's personality, you can go with a heavy, mellow, prog (rock or metal), pop, instrumental, ballad, epic, experimental, hard rock... song.. From shortest to longest, from oldest to latest, etc..

So I think the "insert band" thing, if we're going to consider the way of being and/or the musical taste of a particular person, it should be instead and more precisely "insert prog band", or "insert multifaceted band".. So you can choose between the songs/albums for this person with more options and gradients..

Though I agree that is better if you know the person, I think the question is useful to know the common answers before the hypothetical situation of having to convince a woman to like DT.. The types of songs you'd choose without a second thought or without knowing the woman..