Author Topic: Women who like Dream Theater  (Read 26391 times)

Offline Skeever

Women who like Dream Theater
« on: August 27, 2015, 08:12:57 PM »
Out of curiosity, just how many are there? A brief questionnaire:

1. Do you know any women who like Dream Theater?
2. Did you yourself introduce them to Dream Theater?
3. Have you ever failed to get a lady to share in your love with Dream Theater?
4. Why didn't she like them?
5. Have you ever "gotten freaky" to DT, if so what song?
6. What, in your opinion, is the best Dream Theater song for introducing a women to the world of DT?

Offline Cable

Re: Women who like Dream Theater
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 08:15:48 PM »
1. Do you know any women who like Dream Theater? None in the wild
2. Did you yourself introduce them to Dream Theater?  Yes
3. Have you ever failed to get a lady to share in your love with Dream Theater? Yes
4. Why didn't she like them? No concrete reason, but I'm guessing for the usual reasons.
5. Have you ever "gotten freaky" to DT, if so what song? No.
6. What, in your opinion, is the best Dream Theater song for introducing a women to the world of DT? IWBY, TW
---

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 08:48:52 PM »

None that I can think of (in real life, not counting here).

Yes.

Too noisy, can't dance to it, etc.

Probably, back in my 20s, but I can't remember which songs.

6. What, in your opinion, is the best Dream Theater song for introducing a women to the world of DT?

Hollow Years, The Spirit Carries On or Another Day.

Calvin6s

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 09:30:16 PM »
Yes.  Quite a few through out my life, but never more than 1-5 at a time (Not counting net women you don't meet in real life).  The # I know at a time depends more on me (levels of metal sociability in life)

No.  If I did, I don't remember it.  I was pretty pushy for DT 1992-1995, but I didn't keep track of converts and was mostly dude musicians in my social circles.  The DT women were DT women before I met them.

Absolutely.  Quite the uphill battle.  If I'm not into "the lady" beyond friends, it is easier.  No relationships ever seemed to have a real interest in my metal (glam metal excluded) concert going.  Thanks for bringing up the painful memories of begging my girlfriend to go to Monsters of Rock (Van Halen+4) only to get shot down so badly that I had to ask "are we still cool?"  On the flip side, if I'm not into them (mainly because I'm not really into *metal chicks*) I can get them to go to any concert.  Iron Maiden.  Sure,  Anthrax?  Sounds great.  Pantera? If you like 'em, I like 'em.  And now you are reminding me of all the girls that liked me, but I didn't like them in that way for stupid reasons.  This is not a good trip down memory lane.

See Blind Melon review of Dream Theater.

Dude.  Do you hate me?
Yes.  Only once, because it went nothing like I hoped.  Relatively new *relationship*.  Songs are nostalgic.  Why can't I have one of my favorite albums/songs linked up to these nostalgic memories?  Tonight, I don't care how bad this idea sounds, my new Dream Theater Awake CD that I absolutely love is going to get played when we come back here tonight.  Always had a CD ready to go ... but more so my roommates didn't get to be auditory spectators than seriously thinking about setting a mood.  The album brought me joy.  I knew it had dark songs, but surely not every song is a mood killer.  Pushed play.  I love that tom roll intro.  It didn't take long for her to say "really?  this is what we are going to be listening to?"  So I pushed skip ... Caught in a Web "Nope"  IF "Nope", ok, regroup.  Erotomania ... I know the song title, but she doesn't, so I said no for her.  Oh wait, there's a very un-metal song at the end.  Start playing.  Wow.  I knew this was melancholy, but damn this is starting to feel like a slasher movie with this playing.  Ok.  Why didn't I listen to myself?  Because you were tired of compromising.  Later, it was made clear that band was never to be played again for that.

Depends on the woman.  I almost never converted the woman to DT, so best not to ask me.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 09:36:55 PM »
Dude.  Do you hate me?
Yes.  Only once, because it went nothing like I hoped.  Relatively new *relationship*.  Songs are nostalgic.  Why can't I have one of my favorite albums/songs linked up to these nostalgic memories?  Tonight, I don't care how bad this idea sounds, my new Dream Theater Awake CD that I absolutely love is going to get played when we come back here tonight.  Always had a CD ready to go ... but more so my roommates didn't get to be auditory spectators than seriously thinking about setting a mood.  The album brought me joy.  I knew it had dark songs, but surely not every song is a mood killer.  Pushed play.  I love that tom roll intro.  It didn't take long for her to say "really?  this is what we are going to be listening to?"  So I pushed skip ... Caught in a Web "Nope"  IF "Nope", ok, regroup.  Erotomania ... I know the song title, but she doesn't, so I said no for her.  Oh wait, there's a very un-metal song at the end.  Start playing.  Wow.  I knew this was melancholy, but damn this is starting to feel like a slasher movie with this playing.  Ok.  Why didn't I listen to myself?  Because you were tired of compromising.  Later, it was made clear that band was never to be played again for that.

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 10:06:44 PM »

Yes - my younger sister

Yes

Never really tried , other than my sister.

N/A

No

I put Another Day on a compilation of "ballady" rock for my wife and she quite liked it.  So I'll go with that.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 04:22:26 AM »
My wife.  We were engaged when we saw our first DT show in 1993.   She already liked hard rock and metal so it was easy for her to get into DT.  She still loved them too.

1. Do you know any women who like Dream Theater?  -- My Wife
2. Did you yourself introduce them to Dream Theater?  -- Yes
3. Have you ever failed to get a lady to share in your love with Dream Theater?  -- Of course.  Some of her friends only want to boogie.
4. Why didn't she like them?  --  Their girls and like dance or country, not hard rock or metal.
5. Have you ever "gotten freaky" to DT, if so what song? --  Too many to count with the wifey.
6. What, in your opinion, is the best Dream Theater song for introducing a women to the world of DT?  --  I Walk Beside you then work to the harder songs ect....
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 06:26:38 AM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Skeever

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 05:15:01 AM »
I'm loving the responses so far, especially Calvin's  :tup

I better answer my own thread:

1. Do you know any women who like Dream Theater? Yes
2. Did you yourself introduce them to Dream Theater? No
3. Have you ever failed to get a lady to share in your love with Dream Theater? Never got anyone "into" them, introduced a few people to them that claim to like them but would never listen to them without me in charge of music in the car
4. Why didn't she like them? Too much instrumental, not enough memorable vocals and lyrics
5. Have you ever "gotten freaky" to DT, if so what song? No, sadly. I get too distracted by music to do anything else while it's on.
6. What, in your opinion, is the best Dream Theater song for introducing a women to the world of DT? I like to try and SHOW the band, actually. If I'm feeling really good about a girl, sometimes I'll see if she wants to check out my DT DVDs.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 05:27:45 AM »
1. Do you know any women who like Dream Theater? Yes, quite a few
2. Did you yourself introduce them to Dream Theater? A couple of them
3. Have you ever failed to get a lady to share in your love with Dream Theater? No
5. Have you ever "gotten freaky" to DT, if so what song? No
6. What, in your opinion, is the best Dream Theater song for introducing a women to the world of DT? The Spirit Carries On

I've dated women in the past who are DT fans. My ex-wife is a fan. Back when I had an AOL profile, she recognized the quote from Wait For Sleep and that's how we started talking. 

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 06:51:11 AM »
Yeah, two, one is a hardcore fan who wears DT t-shirts and is also a singer who idolizes JLB.

I introduced one of my exes to DT who ended up having the TDOE ragtime as a ringtone for a year or so, but she couldn't get into DT because JLB's voice irritated her.

Yeah, my current gf. We don't really match in terms of musical tastes (or otherwise, for that matter), but she's really hot, so there's that.

JLB is more often cited as a reason than anything else. 

I once got a BJ in the car while Blind Faith was playing. I know, I'm spoiled beyond my wildest dreams. :biggrin:

Depends on the individual. I don't think musical taste is gender biased.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Rickharris1011

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 09:28:18 AM »

See Blind Melon review of Dream Theater.

Wow - this is memory lane.  I remember this interview in Guitar or Guitar Player.  I generally disliked Blind Melon before this interview because I couldn't stand Shannon Hoon's voice...I really disliked them afterwards because I thought they were pretentious douchbags (though I admit it was pretty funny when one of them mentioned he (JP) must have a lot of blinking lights in his rig).  I remembered thinking  "I hope Blind Melon is a one hit wonder and disappears quickly"  Turns out I was right, though I wasn't wishing for literal death to lead to their musical demise.

Offline Rickharris1011

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 09:33:21 AM »

1. Do you know any women who like Dream Theater? Yes, but back in the mid 90's. 
2. Did you yourself introduce them to Dream Theater? In fact, I did.  I introduced a lot of people to DT - most of them musicians, but my sister actually really liked them around the time of awake.  She even went to one of their shows at Toad's in New Haven and had a great time. 
3. Have you ever failed to get a lady to share in your love with Dream Theater?  A big yes.  My wife (of 13 years) is the best example.  She was the reason I stopped trying.  It's OK to have different musical tastes.  Though as a sidebar - we always had a lot of fun playing panic attack on rock band (as long as she was the drummer)
4. Why didn't she like them? She's more into music for relaxation.  DT does not fit that bill
5. Have you ever "gotten freaky" to DT, if so what song? Certainly not in the last 13 years :)
6. What, in your opinion, is the best Dream Theater song for introducing a women to the world of DT? Pull me under.  When in doubt, go with the hit (s)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 10:04:56 AM »
1. Do you know any women who like Dream Theater? Yes, one of my female friends likes them; in fact, I went to my first DT concert with her last year. I also know a girl who's heard the second disc of Six Degrees.
2. Did you yourself introduce them to Dream Theater? No.
3. Have you ever failed to get a lady to share in your love with Dream Theater? I've never really tried to get anyone into DT, so I can't answer this one.
4. Why didn't she like them? See above. However, I played a JLB solo song to my sister once and she didn't like his "heavy metal mannerisms", so his voice might not appeal to her in DT, either.
5. Have you ever "gotten freaky" to DT, if so what song? No.
6. What, in your opinion, is the best Dream Theater song for introducing a women to the world of DT? The aforementioned friend loves The Dance of Eternity, but she likes ragtime music so her tastes don't exactly match those of the average lady. :lol One of her other favorites is Wither, so I think that one or another ballad like Hollow Years might be a good pick.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 10:05:19 AM »
Only ever met one.  But she was a total babe and a really nice person as well if that matters.

No.

No, but mainly because I've never tried.  There's no way my wife would like them.

The usual reasons.  Can't sing along, not really catchy, instrumental wankery, etc.

No.

Actually, she kinda liked "Surrounded".  The song part is really mellow and melodic.  We were in the car and it came up on shuffle.  I struck up conversation during the instrumental because I knew she wouldn't like it, but when it came back to "I know it's easier..." she asked me who it was.  That's about as close as she gets to interest in anything listen to.

Online TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 10:18:59 AM »
Yes. My mother and my girlfriend although neither like them to the extent that I do.

Yes. My mother happened to be home while I was listening to Octavarium (the album) and my girlfriend took me to see them for our anniversary and ended up liking them. I should also add that my sister heard me listening to Take the Time and liked it but doesn't like them past that.

No because I've never really tried to get people into them.

Since I've never tried, I can't answer this. I will say that my mother doesn't like the crazier songs like Octavarium or The Dance of Eternity because, well, they're crazy.

No. I don't use music as background noise for anything and especially not DT. If there's music on, I'm listening to it.

My mom likes The Answer Lies Within and These Walls. My girlfriend likes Trial of Tears and On the Backs of Angels.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 10:27:37 AM »
The only women I know who like DT are my daughters.  And I raised them that way.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 10:31:54 AM »
:tup

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 10:51:47 AM »
The only women I know who like DT are my daughters.  And I raised them that way.

THIS  :metal
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 12:05:39 PM »

Same with me:  my daughter likes a couple songs ("This Is The Life", "Cover My Eyes", "To Live Forever") but I NEVER try to "convert" anyone.  I actually hate that idea, to be honest.  "Convert"?   I play what I like and if someone takes notice, fine (good or bad) and if they don't, so be it.

My daughter thinks James has an amazing voice.   She likes the doubled vocals on TITL, as well.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 12:24:07 PM »
No matter how many times my x listened to DT while in my car, she never caught on.  I would have that the psychology of hearing something enough would make you like it, but I guess not.  She did come see DT with me once though and she would always bring up that JLB peed his pants since it clearly looked like he did.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 01:25:51 PM »

Same with me:  my daughter likes a couple songs ("This Is The Life", "Cover My Eyes", "To Live Forever") but I NEVER try to "convert" anyone.  I actually hate that idea, to be honest.  "Convert"?   I play what I like and if someone takes notice, fine (good or bad) and if they don't, so be it.

My daughter thinks James has an amazing voice.   She likes the doubled vocals on TITL, as well.
It's kind of funny: although my daughters love DT as much as I do, their opinions are different than mine.  Both of them love The Dark Eternal Night, but neither of them care much for the longer progtastic pieces like Six Degrees, Octavarium, or A Change of Seasons.

They like In The Presence of Enemies, but I think mostly because it's split into two parts.

Of course, both of them LOVE A Dramatic Turn of Events, so that's cool.  My youngest likes DT12 a lot, especially Illumination Theory and The Enemy Inside.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 02:05:51 PM »
My daughter is 15. I tried! She just can deal with them. My wife likes them at least.
Good job, Hef! :tup
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline 425

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2015, 02:08:30 PM »
...I NEVER try to "convert" anyone.  I actually hate that idea, to be honest.  "Convert"?   I play what I like and if someone takes notice, fine (good or bad) and if they don't, so be it.

Same. I don't think it's a good idea to try and force a band on somebody. If music is the topic you can bring up artists you like, but don't proselytize. That's just annoying.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2015, 05:27:08 PM »
Never.  My sister can't stand them and it pisses me off because she finds moments to put the band down specifically because I like them (she's 18 with a maturity of about 5).  She says she think Labrie's voice is "terrible" and that they are show offs.

Then again she likes Dance music and Lana Del Rey so...make of that what you will.  For some reason I seem to notice that the least self aware/least mature people listen to pop.  No idea why.

If we are talking about friends for a second, I have tried to get a few of my guy friends in DT, but they usually say that "I can respect them because they are great, but I personally don't like them".  Mutual respect on that cause.

Offline 425

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2015, 07:36:54 PM »
For some reason I seem to notice that the least self aware/least mature people listen to pop.  No idea why.

Damn my immaturity and lack of self-awareness!

And while I'm being contentious, I'll just say that though I'm not the type of person to look for instances of discrimination, something about asking about sex in a thread otherwise about women being interested in a particular band makes me somewhat uncomfortable. I don't think it's a huge deal or anything, but IMO it's a little weird to ask that in this context.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2015, 07:45:14 PM »
The only woman I know who likes DT is my sister.  And I raised her that way.

:)  Her favourite bands are DT and Queensryche.  Brainwashed :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Calvin6s

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2015, 08:31:37 PM »
Things just got weird.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2015, 02:41:56 PM »
And while I'm being contentious, I'll just say that though I'm not the type of person to look for instances of discrimination, something about asking about sex in a thread otherwise about women being interested in a particular band makes me somewhat uncomfortable. I don't think it's a huge deal or anything, but IMO it's a little weird to ask that in this context.
It's a bit weird. Might as well ask me how many boyfriends have I unsuccessfully tried to convert and all :P

The only woman I know who likes DT is my sister.  And I raised her that way.

:)  Her favourite bands are DT and Queensryche.  Brainwashed :lol
You know, my brother tried to play the part of the one who always brought new music into the house and "raised" the rest of us, and this ended when it became clear that my taste in music was much more diverse than his... when I was about 14 and he was 19 :lol during this time he managed to try and persuade me that power metal was actually progressive metal, and when I bought my first DT CD having known the band for a few years already he told me in a very serious tone of voice "hey, did you know their singer was in a glam metal band"? :lol noooo, I had NO IDEA.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline matthewmatt

• the resident reactionary recalcitrant
  • Our pizza travelled far
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2015, 02:46:12 PM »
Yep. My wife.

Isn't it obvious? Funny fact: 2 years after I've played Metropolis 2 for her, it was the three-part documentary "The Spirit Carries On", the one about looking for the new drummer, that closed the deal. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one.

Before my wife, I hardly even tried. I succeeded in luring women to Bob Dylan, Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, even, but Rush or Maiden or (gasp! God forbid!) Dream Theater were always the line.

Well... "Metal", "long", "complicated", "old" (seriously)... do you really have to ask? The usual deal, I'd say.  :biggrin:

Nope. That idea is simply too kinky to me.

Depends. Is she a metalhead? Play Train to her and she'll love it, she'll hum This Dying Soul in a minute. Is she a pop-drenched cutie? Then your struggle is futile, but you could play Wither or Through Her Eyes to her and maybe... maybe it could work. Is she a prog fan? Rape her with Octavarium (the song) or Systematic Chaos. It worked for me.  ;D
"They want to qualify their boys for jobs in the modern world. You can hardly blame them, can you?"
"Oh yes," said Scott-King. "I can and do." [...]
"If you approve, headmaster, I will stay as I am here as long as any boy wants to read the classics. I think it would be very wicked indeed to do anything to fit a boy for the modern world."

Offline commanderbob

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2015, 03:17:29 PM »
1. Do you know any women who like Dream Theater? No
3. Have you ever failed to get a lady to share in your love with Dream Theater? Yes
4. Why didn't she like them? James voice, and a lack of emotion that connected with her.
5. Have you ever "gotten freaky" to DT, if so what song?  No
6. What, in your opinion, is the best Dream Theater song for introducing a women to the world of DT? Breaking All Illusions (#4 above loves THAT song)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 03:24:19 PM by commanderbob »

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2015, 04:20:07 PM »
I doubt there is any clear equation of "prog" as many bands got songs that are just fitting in the description but they're not considered prog. Many people just label prog as "extremely long songs with crazyasshard instrumentals and powerful voices".

As for the OP, the fact that no feminist has appeared to yell, proves that they're so scarce or they just don't care enough.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline 425

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2015, 06:31:20 PM »
It's a bit weird. Might as well ask me how many boyfriends have I unsuccessfully tried to convert and all :P

Alright, yeah, thanks for confirming that I wasn't being completely paranoid. Asking about women listening to DT is pretty valid because I think it's rather clear that the fanbase is majority male, but the way that "have you ever had sex while listening to DT" was rolled into the same thread made me a bit uncomfortable. I wanted to say something, but also I was kind of waiting for one of the female users to chip in, and, well, now you're here.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2015, 06:37:33 PM »
What's so weird?  DT is a male centric style of music, sure there are female fans but we know what the % are. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline 425

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2015, 06:43:35 PM »
It's not that. As I was saying, this is a totally valid thing to be talking about.

It's question number 5 that I find weird. The other questions are basically about "do you know women who like this band?" And then that question asks if you've had sex while listening to the band. To me it's kind of weird to tie a question about having sex to the band's music into a series of questions about why women do or don't like it.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2015, 07:01:35 PM »
Oh. :lol

Well, it's not music to roll around too.  Mine was just by accident with the I-Pod on random.  :lol