Author Topic: How are you listening to music?  (Read 2715 times)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: How are you listening to music?
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2015, 09:56:56 PM »
My bad, I don't usually read through all the replies to see if someone already noticed something before me. :lol

And yeah, 256kbps is actually what I set all my songs to when I sync them to my iPod. It sounds good enough to me, and I can't really tell the difference between it and 320kbps. Plus it saves a bit of storage space.

For audiophiles though, 256kbps probably still sounds like ass.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline 425

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2015, 09:58:39 PM »
Eh, so they claim. :P

I mean, I sympathize with the plight of audiophiles most of the time, but this is one instance where I'm a little skeptical. I also use 256kbps.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2015, 10:07:20 PM »
i listen to music in almost every situation in my life. if there's a way to listen to music, you bet i'm gonna find it. and if i can't listen, u bet ur ass imma be humming, or singing, or tapping.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2015, 11:02:35 PM »
Eh, so they claim. :P

I mean, I sympathize with the plight of audiophiles most of the time, but this is one instance where I'm a little skeptical. I also use 256kbps.
I believe that while the difference between 256kbps and a CD rip is small, compare it to a 24-bits file, and you'll notice a huge step. Specially if you have high-end headphones/speakers and a good sound system (better than an iPod ;) ). That's why I try to get dvd-a rips and 24-bits downloads whenever it's available - por example, Lightbulb Sun and Insurgentes sound fantastic in such high quality. And The Downward Spiral, as noisy as it can get, it has a really clear mix on the remastered DVD-Audio. So yeah, I'm a bit of an audiophile :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2015, 11:04:55 PM »
Eh, I'm happy with 256kbps. Saves me hard disk space and it sounds fine to me. 128kbps would give me double the hard disk space but it would not sound fine to me. So 256 is what I do.

I don't think Lightbulb Sun will ever sound good to me. Very much dislike the production on that album, though musically speaking there are some really good songs on there.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2015, 06:50:20 AM »
Oh it's fine, enjoy music as you want :P

The remastered edition of Lightbulb Sun sounds fantastic, maybe you should check it.

Offline 425

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2015, 08:47:13 AM »
Honestly I probably am listening to the remastered edition. I just don't like the guitar tone and some other things I can't quantify.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2015, 03:59:13 AM »
If I have the choice between 256 or 320, I'd chose 320 because disk space is cheap so I don't mind filling up the space for the better audio, but the reality for me is that I can't tell the difference really.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2015, 03:09:58 AM »
I listen to it at all possible times.

While driving, one of my favourite times to listen to music. I focus on the music and the driving just happens. It's what got me through three years of delivering pizza.
Sometimes I just put an album or song on, lay down and listen to it intently, forgetting everything else.
I can't cook or clean without listening to music.
I listen to it while walking around. Sometimes when I fall in love with a new song I'll drive up to this country lake park near my place and take it for a walk.
I listen to it before I fall asleep, and then put it back on to get a shower in the morning.

I listen to a _lot_ of music. My last.fm account has registered about 130k plays in the past ten years I've had it. And none of that includes the time I spent at work listening to CDs in my car.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...