Author Topic: How are you listening to music?  (Read 2739 times)

Offline amagr

How are you listening to music?
« on: August 27, 2015, 12:03:19 PM »
I mean if are you listening to it while surfing the net, cleaning,.. Or when you are listening it doing only listening.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: How are you listening to music?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 12:23:48 PM »
With my ears?.....

:neverusethis:

But seriously, nowadays I mostly listen to music while doing other stuff, working, surfing the net, gaming, etc. It's very unusual for me to sit and just listen to music.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 12:30:09 PM »
1. I Buy CDs. Special Editions if possible.

2. I import the CDs into my iTunes at WAV quality.

3. I then sync it to my iPhone.

4. I listen to my new music on long walks using a pair of over the ears SONY Headphones.

If CDs ever stop being sold and bands go back to using vinyl, I'll get a record player rather thsn have to put up with iTunes 128kbps downloads.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 12:32:39 PM »
I listen to Pandora One and Amazon Music at my desk through earbuds. At home I play Pandora One and Amazon Music through my Bose Mini Sound Link. On Sundays when I'm doing house stuff, I turn the vinyl up to 11.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 12:52:22 PM »
I listen pretty much all the time

1. At my job

2. Just doing work around the house

3. In the car

4. or doing HW

Music is my life

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 01:11:10 PM »
I listen pretty much all the time

1. At my job

2. Just doing work around the house

3. In the car

4. or doing HW

Music is my life

On the bed, on the floor
On a towel by the door
In the tub, in the car
Up against the mini-bar

:lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 01:23:18 PM »
Almost never these days.  I used to do all my listening in the car driving to and from work, and sometimes in my bedroom when single and living with my family.  Now, I have no car commute and I live with my wife.  On long car rides with her, I will occasionally play some long DT song that I haven't heard in a while, but she is not interested.

I sometimes go to sleep with headphones, but I fall asleep quickly and don't get more than a few songs in.  Then I wake up 10-15 minutes later confused in the middle of a random song and just shut it off.

If I go back to commuting by car, I will prob start listening to music more often.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 01:23:25 PM »
At home I have a nice sound system, with surround sound when applicable. I buy all my CDs and prefer DVD-A when possible. I tend to listen to new music/purchases slightly more intently than old stuff/live material. But in most cases I'm playing a game while I listen to music nowadays.

For my car I made the audio system a very real concern when purchasing, and very much enjoy the Bose system that came in the (premium) Altima. I got one of the last 6-CD changers too before ports and such became much more important. Prior to this vehicle I always kept a case of 10 CDs in the car, and will switch back to that with the next vehicle.

Then very occasionally I will listen to music off my phone, when traveling (air/train etc) alone or similar circumstances. Also use that when I play drums. I have a part of my collection on there via MP3, I typically don't do Pandora or anything similar.

And then due to my radio show (www.wpapu.com) :shamelessplug: I do get promo materials that I listen to on my computer. This is my least favorite way to do things.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 01:36:04 PM »
I listen to music most of my day at work through my bose headphones connected to my laptop or my phone, depending if I am walking around or at my desk.

Always have music on in my car, almost always through my phone via bluetooth or aux, occossionally through CD but thats rare as I hardly ever buy physical discs anymore.

At home, I use my computer when gaming or doing work whether be it with my logitech G930 headphones or my bose speakers.

I get most of my music these days through amazon and prefer to have the downloads, I never stream music besides youtube.

Offline 425

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 01:49:02 PM »
I'm usually listening on my over-ear headphones. I'm a college student who lives in the dorm so I usually can't play things out loud (I don't think my roommate wants to hear Seventh Wonder). And I'm usually doing something else while listening. If an album is new to me it may just be browsing the internet (because typically I devote a greater degree of attention to a new album because it's unfamiliar), but usually I'm doing something else, whether that's reading stuff online, doing laundry or doing homework that has relatively low demand on attention. I find that often if I place 100% of my attention on music that I'll overanalyze it and enjoy it less, so I usually have some other thing that I am also doing.

Other things: I buy CDs and rip them into iTunes. I have most of my CDs stored on a shelf, with a drawer available for overflow. Soon I'm probably going to have to get one of those CD towers.

I almost always listen to full albums. I really appreciate a well-constructed album that is a full journey in and of itself. Most people I know listen to much of their library on shuffle these days, which is something I could never do—it would be too weird for me to oscillate between so many different styles. It works when it's a playlist with a stylistic thread running through, though I rarely make those, but shuffle is just too much. This full-album approach is also why I ignore most pop music. I have no problem with pop music stylistically, and when I find pop artists who produce good full albums (Taylor Swift, Lorde), I often play those to death, but when there are a few singles that I like but the whole album isn't a good listening experience, I really just don't connect at all. I've had this issue with a few albums I've bought from artists who are more on the pop side of things.

If CDs ever stop being sold and bands go back to using vinyl, I'll get a record player rather thsn have to put up with iTunes 128kbps downloads.

...iTunes downloads are 256kbps, which is totally different from 128kbps. There's much more audible difference between 128 and 256 than there is between 256 and lossless. Not saying you should or shouldn't do something, just correcting a fairly significant factual inaccuracy. I rip CDs at 256 and notice no difference from the lossless ripping I had done in the past, while just the thought of 128 horrifies me.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 02:02:05 PM »
I usually watch either live performances or in summertime just listen on Spotify/actual records while texting or just chilling.
I listen a lot when school's open while doing homework, and on my road to class, and back.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 02:03:04 PM »
Mainly in the car these days as I drive a lot in my job.

I use spot iffy and now Apple music, google play music for my own stuff that's been ripped to the pc.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 03:02:03 PM »
I listen to most of my music through Spotify, either new records or old favs. The audio quality is so good that I don't really bother getting albums either digital or physical. Used to listen with my speakers, but now they're broken, all I have are my phone's speakers. The sound is decent, but can't wait to get a real stereo system.

And I listen to just one album per day with headphones, a nice pair of Sennheisers, although I hope to get the PSB M4U some day soon.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 03:06:23 PM »
Every chance I get.  I actually listen to my ipod with one ear bud when I'm watching tv

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 03:14:02 PM »
Every chance I get.  I actually listen to my ipod with one ear bud when I'm watching tv

One ear bud during sex I bet as well JJ. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 03:21:27 PM »

Thats a Costanza to the max!!!

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2015, 03:25:51 PM »
As a college student, I have lots of 10-20 minute walks in my daily routine. I oftentimes listen to music on my headphones during these walks. A combination of iTunes and Spotify.

Sometimes I intentionally listen to a song of the same length as my walk.
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 03:28:51 PM »

Ugh has this ever happened to anyone ? You give your friend your iPhone / iPod to listen to something you really like and they put one ear in and talk about something the entire time and when it's finished - just hand it back without even mentioning it...

??? dude.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 03:40:51 PM »

Hey, I get the reference :D

On topic: most of the time I listen to music from my laptop on earphones while surfing the new. Also, I like to listen to music in bed before going to sleep (many times my smartphone tried to strangle me with earphones when I fall asleep). During college year I listen to music on my smartphone while going to university (walking to station and in tram).
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 04:27:46 PM »
A mix of physical and digital. I buy a lot of CDs, which I play in the car and rip to the computer. I collect Vinyl, but seeing as its more expensive, I try to only go for the albums I truly love, with a few exceptions, like if I'm really hyped for a new album, I might pre-order a vinyl and hope for the best. So I spin vinyl from time to time at home. But most of my listening is from my digital library, played through Foobar2000 and my computer.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 04:55:23 PM »

Right in the small end table. :lol

Offline Cable

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 06:08:58 PM »
Pretty much I can only listen to music when I'm doing something else. Driving, cleaning, playing along to it, working out and so on. The last time I took my time out to listen to an album, and only that (plus artwork & lyrics) was Periphery: Juggernaut. Before that, it was probably years.
---

Offline 425

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2015, 06:17:21 PM »
Ugh has this ever happened to anyone ? You give your friend your iPhone / iPod to listen to something you really like and they put one ear in and talk about something the entire time and when it's finished - just hand it back without even mentioning it...

Not this exact scenario but I absolutely know what you mean. I don't really get it, I'd need to give almost my full attention to something where my immediate thoughts on it were expected.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2015, 11:19:44 PM »
I always listen to music on my PC, while doing whenever. I rarely move away from the computer, so I have no need for portable music. :lol
Sometimes during the day I'll crank it on speakers, but usually it's my headphones because they sound a lot better.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2015, 11:34:06 PM »
I have two sound systems that I use at home, one for my computer which is just a set of half-decent 2.1 speakers, and my much better 5.1 Home Theatre setup. I also have a 2.1 setup on my bed, so I can listen to music in bed without headphones or earbuds. ;) Although I do have some decent headphones when I'm in the mood. Then I have an iPod for use in bed, in the car, or if I go away somewhere. Anywhere from a third to half of my listening any given week is from the iPod, if I had to guess.

As for what I listen to, most of my collection is still 320kbps MP3 or AAC, but more and more of it is being replaced by FLAC. I probably won't ever go 100% FLAC but things that are personal favourites and/or get listened to a lot I generally have in FLAC. I mostly just go for digital downloads now, but if the only way I can get something in lossless quality is with a physical CD and I want to have it in FLAC, I'll buy one. I also use Spotify (free) to sample new music.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2015, 11:45:10 PM »
As for what I listen to, most of my collection is still 320kbps MP3 or AAC, but more and more of it is being replaced by FLAC. I probably won't ever go 100% FLAC but things that are personal favourites and/or get listened to a lot I generally have in FLAC. I mostly just go for digital downloads now, but if the only way I can get something in lossless quality is with a physical CD and I want to have it in FLAC, I'll buy one. I also use Spotify (free) to sample new music.

Most of my music is either 256kb VBR or 320kb CBR, but I've ripped all of my DT albums in FLAC, along with Appetite for Destruction. While I'd have the space, I don't need everything FLAC.
I also use Spotify free to check out new music, although I find it too annoying to regularly listen to music that way.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2015, 10:01:09 AM »
I have the premium and it's all kinds of awesome :neverusethis:

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2015, 10:09:25 AM »
I listen mostly with headphones at work and in my car.  The car is a distant 2nd because I'm hardly on the road long enough to listen to more than 2 or 3 songs.  At work, I can get through 2-3 albums in a day easily.

:2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Art

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2015, 10:39:52 AM »
I use spotify premium, and i listen to music preety much all the time. Working, reading, driving...an yes, sometimes i JUST listen to music for the sake of it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2015, 01:41:59 PM »
I have the premium and it's all kinds of awesome :neverusethis:

I have too many bills going out each month to warrant £13 going to Spotify too. . .

But i found a way around not being able to shuffle if you want to hear just one track.

1. make a playlist for that one song.

2. shuffle the playlist.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2015, 01:48:32 PM »
I've realised it's way cheaper in my country, around $0.50 dollars per month :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2015, 06:15:20 PM »
I really feel like listening to music makes work barely feel like work. Which is an attribute I really love. Or even that I'm more motivated than I would be otherwise.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2015, 08:36:01 PM »

What? All my iTunes downloads are 256kbps... not exactly a massive improvement, but it's at least decent.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2015, 08:58:49 PM »
I buy a ton of CD's, rip them onto my iPod, and listen a lot - when I walk my dog, when I drive, at work when I'm not teaching class, cooking, playing games on my iPad, and sometimes just listening.  I probably listen to five hours of music on an average day.

Offline 425

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2015, 09:27:33 PM »

What? All my iTunes downloads are 256kbps... not exactly a massive improvement, but it's at least decent.

I said this earlier and it apparently went unnoticed...

And I would say that 256kbps is a massive improvement over 128. I think experts say that above 256kbps it gets very hard for the human ear to discern the difference between compressed and lossless. I've never been able to hear a difference between 256 and lossless myself.

Meanwhile 128 I can hear a definite difference and do not want anywhere near any of that.
And if spirit's a sign,