Author Topic: Under a Glass Moon - Lost Not Forgotten structural similarity analysis  (Read 13004 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Under a Glass Moon - Lost Not Forgotten structural similarity analysis
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2015, 07:03:57 AM »

Pretty much. From its inception, this debate always sets off a spectacular failure of communication. It's either you hear the similiarities and thus are "stirring shit up that doesn't exist," or you don't and are thus "an ignorant, butthurt fanboy who won't acknowledge reality." Or some such.

Is there an option to be "an ignorant, butthurt fanboy" who is "stirring shit up that doesn't exist"?  I might go for that.  Sounds like it's more fun.  :)

(I'm kidding).

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2015, 04:31:12 AM »
I haven't been replying since I started the topic, so here's the thing

I'm glad some people got it. I love both ADTOE and IAW. I love both songs I analysed, the analysis is not here because of some ''conspiracy theories'' and shit. I'm not saying LNF rips UAGM off and that the band lost their inspiration. The post fundamental, it has no intention of discussing anything other than the SIMILARITY. I noticed the similarity between the two songs, just like many others did, it was interesting to me, so I went deeper to analyse the stuff, and I found even more similarities than expected and I thought it would be fun and interesting to share. Period.
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline Mladen

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2015, 04:51:17 AM »
Sorry that I immediately thought this was going to turn into another "lets bash ADTOE" discussions, I realize you had good intentions. As I said in my very first post, there's nothing wrong with the analysis itself. It is very interesting. But as other people pointed out, it's very often an excuse for haters to "stir up shit".

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2015, 05:25:42 AM »
I've always heard similarities between the songs on ADTOE and the songs on I & W. I would like to just completely ignore it and say it's because it's the same band writing both albums and of course you will find similarities in orchestration and feel. However, I don't find it to be the case with any other two Dream Theater releases, so it definitely holds water to some extent. It could really just be a case of them wanting to get back to that same feel of Images and Words, which is the album that put them on the map.

Offline emtee

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2015, 07:57:45 AM »
I don't mind the similarities because I would always rather that they use themselves for inspiration.

I sure wish I could have been a fly on the wall during conversations and during the creation though. I will always wonder how intentional
it was and what they all talked about and agreed on...or maybe disagreed on. As someone mentioned maybe it was set up as an
exercise to get into an I&W mindset. We will never know.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2015, 08:46:55 AM »
All I know is that those are two of the most bad a$$ solo's that JP has ever recorded. I really don't know which one I like better? They are both perfect IMO
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2015, 03:14:28 PM »
All I know is that those are two of the most bad a$$ solo's that JP has ever recorded. I really don't know which one I like better? They are both perfect IMO

Yes!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2015, 03:27:16 PM »

Pretty much. From its inception, this debate always sets off a spectacular failure of communication. It's either you hear the similiarities and thus are "stirring shit up that doesn't exist," or you don't and are thus "an ignorant, butthurt fanboy who won't acknowledge reality." Or some such.

Is there an option to be "an ignorant, butthurt fanboy" who is "stirring shit up that doesn't exist"?  I might go for that.  Sounds like it's more fun.  :)

(I'm kidding).

There is a 3rd option :

Acknowledging the possibility that they used the *form* of another song for a newer song and not giving a flying fuck about it because a FORM doesn't mean the music lyrics vocals or rhythms or

melodies are in any way the same.

King Nothing is very similar to Enter Sandman structurally but do they sound identical ? Nope. Not at all.

Calvin6s

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2015, 06:35:34 PM »
I don't mind the similarities because I would always rather that they use themselves for inspiration.

incestpiration?  Hopefully they never try to use Erotomania or DT might end up in the INXS bandwagon.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2015, 07:49:39 PM »

(I'm kidding).

There is a 3rd option :

Acknowledging the possibility that they used the *form* of another song for a newer song and not giving a flying fuck about it because a FORM doesn't mean the music lyrics vocals or rhythms or

King Nothing is very similar to Enter Sandman structurally but do they sound identical ? Nope. Not at all.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2015, 08:57:23 PM »
There is a 3rd option :

I think you're misconstruing what some people are saying. I could be completely wrong, but I don't think that anyone is saying that the corresponding parts are the same melodies, rhythmically or lyrically - I've never felt that way. But in terms of the general vibe or feel, they are similar - if they weren't, it's highly doubtful that people would've noticed the structural similarities in the first place. The biggest issue is the reasoning behind why the band chose to use those old IaW structural outlines for several ADToE songs.

There could be a legitimate reason for what led them to do it, but the fact that the band has remained completely mum on the subject is what causes some fans to suspicious of the reasoning. Had they come out and explained everything right off the bat (media catchphrase "being transparent"), it would probably take all the wind out of the sails of the conspiracy theorists, but they haven't, which leads to the debates we've seen.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Calvin6s

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2015, 09:41:59 PM »
Let's put the guessing to rest.

Jordan made an iOS app that can listen to songs and spit out a new one based off the song playing.  At the time, it was Top Secret so Mangini was left out of the *song writing* loop until he was jumped in.

Robin Thicke hacked into the app and the rest is history.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2015, 11:33:40 AM »

(I'm kidding).

There is a 3rd option :

I was kidding, but I think you missed the point of the joke:   debates on songs are awesome; that's why most of us are here.  That's why I, for one, love music the way I do, because it is so open to discussion (why does THIS person LOVE that song, but that person HATES it?).   The SECOND - I mean, the literal SECOND - it becomes an ad hominem discussion about the person making the argument, it loses all relevance.   Whether someone is "butthurt" or not, whether someone is "stirring shit" or not, is completely, utterly and totally irrelevant to whether the songs are or are not based on a common template.   And as Scotty so eloquently said, as long as the band is mum on the subject, we have no other option but to speculate.   

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2015, 03:16:48 PM »

(I'm kidding).

There is a 3rd option :

I was kidding, but I think you missed the point of the joke:   debates on songs are awesome; that's why most of us are here.  That's why I, for one, love music the way I do, because it is so open to discussion (why does THIS person LOVE that song, but that person HATES it?).   The SECOND - I mean, the literal SECOND - it becomes an ad hominem discussion about the person making the argument, it loses all relevance.   Whether someone is "butthurt" or not, whether someone is "stirring shit" or not, is completely, utterly and totally irrelevant to whether the songs are or are not based on a common template.   And as Scotty so eloquently said, as long as the band is mum on the subject, we have no other option but to speculate.

So if the band commented on it, case would be closed?

Hate to break it to you, but JP did address this in an interview and said the accusation was ridiculous.  I'm thinking it was maybe 4-6 months after the controversy broke. 

So, case closed.........?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2015, 03:22:10 PM »
Provide the link to the interview and case closed.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2015, 04:51:47 PM »
Provide the link to the interview and case closed.

If I get bored tomorrow, maybe.  Otherwise, happy hunting.  I haven't read it since it was first published however long ago. 

Offline Shine

« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2015, 08:52:12 PM »
So John said there's no truth to the claim that certain songs from ADTOE closely mirrored songs from I&W.

I just can't comprehend how he reconciles this with the obvious similarities between these songs. Not even a slight nod to their structural influences. Does he honestly believe that songs like LnF are unique, or is he just trying to ignore the accusation?
lake of fire

Offline 425

« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2015, 09:42:44 PM »
LNF is unique. It is completely its own song, melodically, musically and emotionally. Whatever structural things you can point out, great and maybe that's legitimate, but when it gets to the point where you're saying that the song itself is not unique, that's absolutely wrong.

Plenty of artists repeat song structures. That doesn't mean that the songs that repeat the structures are unoriginal.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2015, 09:55:51 PM »
LNF is unique. It is completely its own song, melodically, musically and emotionally. Whatever structural things you can point out, great and maybe that's legitimate, but when it gets to the point where you're saying that the song itself is not unique, that's absolutely wrong.

Plenty of artists repeat song structures. That doesn't mean that the songs that repeat the structures are unoriginal.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2015, 10:00:46 PM »
So John said there's no truth to the claim that certain songs from ADTOE closely mirrored songs from I&W.

I just can't comprehend how he reconciles this with the obvious similarities between these songs. Not even a slight nod to their structural influences. Does he honestly believe that songs like LnF are unique, or is he just trying to ignore the accusation?

Just because you think the similarities are obvious doesn't mean they are.  It's obvious that many, including JP, think they are not.  To each their own.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2015, 06:01:49 AM »
https://www.guitarworld.com/lord-strings-shred-king-john-petrucci-discusses-dream-theaters-new-self-titled-album

Nevermind, here ya go.
Case closed.
Well, that's a relief.
;)  :lol

Of course, people can discuss the similarities as much as they want, it's still interesting. It's just good to know that JP addressed the issue so no one can put the analysis against the band anymore.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2015, 07:04:36 AM »
Question to OP - Can you go into the key signature stuff a little more? I'm curious what makes their keys unusual from a technical standpoint.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2015, 07:20:33 AM »
I thought he explained it pretty clearly, however I believe DT has used the scale/mode for a few other songs too, including Home, the instrumental section of ITNOG, and the sitar bit in Paradigm Shift. It's not too common, but not too unusual either.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2015, 07:57:25 AM »

This is pretty much how I feel. I hear the similarities but it doesn't mean LNF is a blatant rip-off of UAGM. Just look at their history. They have always given obvious nods to their influences in the music they write. What's wrong with writing some songs that have the feel of Images and Words? I don't hear rip-off or lack of originality. Go listen to AC/DC and then come back and complain about ADTOE.   :lol

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2015, 09:12:57 AM »

Under A Glass Moon

Lost Not Forgotten

Offline 425

« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2015, 10:59:15 AM »
That **might** be something approaching a valid comparison if one of the trucks was a completely different color and had different wheels or something.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2015, 11:04:49 AM »
You're being a wise ass, I hope.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2015, 11:06:57 AM »
Wow. Nice trucks. Wouldn't mind having one of those.

My only comment on this thread would be that I'd rather have DT 'copy" themselves (or get inspired by their OWN music) than by someone else's (i.e. Muse).

Carry on.  :metal

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2015, 11:34:06 AM »
LNF kicks Glass Moon's ass anytime.
Glass Moon is too short for me, and the only good part is the first prechorus.
Jatruccyundessgini

Calvin6s

« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2015, 12:06:00 PM »
LNF kicks Glass Moon's ass anytime.

Please.  UAGM brought LNF into this world and it can take it out.   :D

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2015, 12:06:06 PM »

Exactly. Someone here already pointed out (almost) every pop song in existence follows the same verse-chorus-etc structure.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline 425

« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2015, 12:32:36 PM »
You're being a wise ass, I hope.

Nope. The pictures you posted imply that LNF is the same thing as UAGM, just with different names (since that Chevy truck and the GMC are pretty much the exact same truck, just one is branded Chevy and the other is branded GMC). As I and others have continually pointed out throughout this thread, that is simply not the case.

They have very similar structures, so they are physically similar pickup trucks, sure, but the melodic, lyrical and emotional content are completely different, so one truck is red and the other one is blue, and they have different sets of custom wheels.
And if spirit's a sign,