Author Topic: Under a Glass Moon - Lost Not Forgotten structural similarity analysis  (Read 13006 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Under a Glass Moon - Lost Not Forgotten structural similarity analysis
« Reply #140 on: September 11, 2015, 07:50:47 AM »
Oh no....not this again please...

How can you even imagine that a band can "get inspired" by the structure of a song?
It's like getting inspired by the frame of a painting...it simply doesn't make sense!

You can "get inspired" (read "copy") by ideas, riffs, moods, solos, even time signature...but not stuctures.
YOU DON'T WRITE SONGS starting from a structure.

Yes, there are similiarities in the structures...but so what?
If you look at most band, you will see that they tend to have similiar structures in different songs across the albums...

In this specific case, structures are similar but all the rest of the songs has nothing to share..
I would have been "worried" in the opposite case...

:facepalm:

I facepalm your entire post.   Who are you to say what inspires an artist or not?  I have already cited one artist (the great Michael Moorcock, legendary sci-fi writer, musician, and sometime lyricist for Hawkwind and Blue Oyster Cult, among others) who absolutely and by his own admission (I have personally heard him say this) wrote material inspired strictly by the structural limits he self-imposed on himself.

I know they are hacks, and not well known for their songwriting, but there was a band from Liverpool, England called "The Beatles" who often wrote to a "structure", especially in the early days, and what little "genius" they had (if you can even use that word with The Beatles) often came from them piecing verses - written as verses - with choruses - written specifically as choruses - and bridges - written specifically as bridges - to come up with a complete song.  Bad example, I know...  ;)

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #141 on: September 11, 2015, 11:39:57 AM »
I must say one thing though. It had never occured to me to actually plan the music I write before actually doing it. Usually I'll come up with a riff, some chords or something else and just add parts until I feel satisfied.

However when I make an illustration, it's the opposite. I'm planning what I'll draw, where I'll place the major elements, which colors I'll use. It's not always set in stone, but I do have a general idea of where I'm going. It's similar in movies. You have storyboard artists who plan all the elements of the major shots that you'll see in the movie before the movie is filmed.

I'll have to try that out when I feel like writing music. I find it a bit stupid to never have thought about doing it before :lol

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #142 on: September 11, 2015, 03:49:29 PM »
See, when I write music, depending on what kind of music it is (overture, gymnosolitude, symphony movement), I usually write down a ton of ideas then start thinking about how to structure them together. When it comes to symphony movements, I know what structure I'm going to be using going into it, so I come up with a few ideas and loosely apply them to the structure.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin