Author Topic: Parama's Coincidental Roulette! (FINAL RESULTS!)  (Read 55555 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Parama's Coincidental Roulette! (ROUND 10 RESULTS!!!)
« Reply #630 on: October 26, 2015, 08:01:29 PM »
Time to take huge risks now - I just have to refine the Parama playlist and reduce it to an EP. Should be done by Thursday/Friday at least.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 08:30:32 PM by Sacul »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #631 on: October 26, 2015, 08:38:12 PM »
btw when i say "there's no rush" that doesn't mean you can't send me rush bcuz they're still on the semi-banned list

Offline 425

« Reply #632 on: October 26, 2015, 08:45:09 PM »
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #633 on: October 26, 2015, 09:02:13 PM »
oh man i really thought i was gonna make it

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #634 on: October 27, 2015, 12:03:46 AM »
And now the slate is wiped clean, eh? Watch out Richard and Lucas!

Damnit, you're in the Finals as well :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #635 on: October 27, 2015, 12:11:43 AM »
This should be an interesting round  :hat

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #636 on: October 27, 2015, 12:24:17 AM »
btw if two people send me the same song whoever sends it first gets priority
just in case that happens, it already did once before

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #637 on: October 27, 2015, 12:28:23 AM »
And what's your stance on the 'eligible for re-entry' list with regard to the wagers? Since songs do not get scored out of 10, but rather out of '0.66X', where X is the song length.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #638 on: October 27, 2015, 05:55:47 AM »
Seriously, I haven't seen a single roulette without Blackbird since I've joined the DTF's, I guess it is a great closer though.

people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #639 on: October 27, 2015, 05:59:31 AM »
Oh man, The End Is Here deserves more than that  :'( probably my favorite actual Alter Bridge closer..
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #640 on: October 27, 2015, 07:22:10 AM »
I think it's great time to check Alter Bridge. I'm not sure if I ever heard anything from them. Probably I did but I don't remember anything from it.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #641 on: October 27, 2015, 08:45:03 AM »
you can safely ignore the wagers for the EP round. anything on the semi-banned list can be entered at no risk.
and every song will be scored out of 10 first, then the final score for the EP will be calculated from those scores.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #642 on: October 27, 2015, 03:28:31 PM »
Oh man, The End Is Here deserves more than that  :'( probably my favorite actual Alter Bridge closer..
Thank you :laugh:
I thought only to the closer of the albums, I didn't think about songs that feel like a closer but they are not! I chose The End Is Here over Fortress and Words Darker Than Their Wings, but it was a difficult choice.. One Day Remains is the album that made me interested to music when I was 13 or 14, so I decided for The End Is Here.

I listened to Chromatic Aberration two times when I was searching a closer but I found it too chaotic even for my tastes. Instead I find the anticlimatic end really unusual and interesting, considering that in the whole album there aren't sections as aggressive as the last minutes of this song. It's clear that they wanted to experiment with everything in their debut, even with the way to close an album.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #643 on: October 27, 2015, 07:46:46 PM »
Shadow Ninja 2.0: You actually had the best run of anyone in the last five rounds, but none of your first five submissions did too much for me and really brought you down overall. I appreciate that you basically spent the entire roulette taking risks and entering weird stuff, though, definitely got a few artists on my list to check out from you. Gordian Knot and SikTh especially, but Shining, Native Construct, and Mum were all pretty cool too, and I doubt I'd have found Shining and Mum on my own  :tup

LordCost: Well, round 4 really hurt, and round 2 was a little tragic (I still need to give that album a listen, actually), but for the most part you sent some good and sometimes weird stuff. Unexpect, The Ocean, and The Contortionist are bands I need to at least check out further, and that Thumpermonkey song grew on me a lot too. Nothing was really one of my absolute favorites but a mostly consistent run of quality stuff  :tup

Train of Naught: Out of everyone here, it seems like your tastes lined up the least with my own. CHON was a great entry, even if it was already on my radar, and Shinedown and Royal Blood were also pretty good listens. You seemed intent on avoiding prog stuff pretty much the whole way through though which is a pretty gutsy move considering how much prog was on my banned list and top albums list  :tup

FlyingBIZKIT: It's really unfortunate that I win your roulette and then turn around and give you a lot of trouble in my roulette, oops  :lol Alcest was admittedly kind of a freebie but one I was more than happy to receive, and I was laughing pretty hard when you snubbed Sacul on that NIN entry too. A generally solid run with one or two tracks I wasn't so hot on but I'd definitely be up for participating in your next roulette if you're not planning on revenge-nuking my scores   :tup

Tomislav95: You had the most flatly consistent run of anyone, scores entirely in the 6.5-8.5 range, tending towards the high end of that range too, and sending a fair share of great but not quite amazing stuff, like The Sword, Thy Light, and Bjork, among others. You also avoided prog for pretty much the entire time, which is again a move I find pretty gutsy but certainly appreciated  :tup

425: A pretty solid run for the first eight rounds with two fantastic entries in the last two rounds, haha. Shame you didn't do as well in my roulette as I did in yours, either, but I definitely have a fair few new artists to check out from you! Coldplay and Yes were two artists I'd heard stuff from before and your entries from them were pretty solid, and I loved Marketa Irglova and Dire Straits as well. There seemed to be a trend of artists I was at least aware of and often had heard stuff from before, but hadn't checked out deeply enough to even be on my Semi-Banned list, which is a pretty interesting trend  :tup

mikemangioy: Missing the finals by such a slim margin has gotta hurt, ouch  :lol I quite liked the majority of your entries, but, man, that AAL song just killed your score, didn't it? I'm still not sure you were aware they were on the semi-banned list when you sent them, either, but entries had taken long enough that I didn't want to confirm that you knew, and in hindsight I probably should've checked to be sure, but blah. Bent Knee was a fantastic entry and I definitely have to get that album in the near future. Snubbing Sacul on Destiny Potato was funny, too  :lol Aside from those, Foo Fighters, Destrage, and PFM were also pretty cool entries, really a lot of good stuff from you  :tup

Offline 425

« Reply #644 on: October 27, 2015, 08:19:15 PM »
425: A pretty solid run for the first eight rounds with two fantastic entries in the last two rounds, haha. Shame you didn't do as well in my roulette as I did in yours, either, but I definitely have a fair few new artists to check out from you! Coldplay and Yes were two artists I'd heard stuff from before and your entries from them were pretty solid, and I loved Marketa Irglova and Dire Straits as well. There seemed to be a trend of artists I was at least aware of and often had heard stuff from before, but hadn't checked out deeply enough to even be on my Semi-Banned list, which is a pretty interesting trend  :tup

I'd like to say that was an intentional strategy, but it's actually just a result of the size of my library :lol Still, happy to have given you some stuff to check out! :tup
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #645 on: October 27, 2015, 08:44:12 PM »
Hey man I had a lot of fun. I kinda determined early on to just send you strange or offbeat stuff; honestly I was kind of baffled when you started liking my submissions. :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #646 on: October 27, 2015, 11:24:40 PM »
Train of Naught: Out of everyone here, it seems like your tastes lined up the least with my own. CHON was a great entry, even if it was already on my radar, and Shinedown and Royal Blood were also pretty good listens. You seemed intent on avoiding prog stuff pretty much the whole way through though which is a pretty gutsy move considering how much prog was on my banned list and top albums list  :tup
Pretty much true, believe it or not, Dream Theater has been my favorite band for a long time, but besides them, I never listened to prog, but as I progressed through this roulette I've done my own bit of discovering and found TONS of great prog bands, so that's why in the end things like CHON and A.C.T. started showing up.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #647 on: October 27, 2015, 11:33:49 PM »
i've just been digging into a ton of melodic/modern math rock recently because it's just a sound i like, dunno why but i'm enjoying it. only real problem is that i have trouble differentiating a lot of what i've found  :lol

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #648 on: October 28, 2015, 02:52:50 PM »
mikemangioy: Missing the finals by such a slim margin has gotta hurt, ouch  :lol I quite liked the majority of your entries, but, man, that AAL song just killed your score, didn't it? I'm still not sure you were aware they were on the semi-banned list when you sent them, either, but entries had taken long enough that I didn't want to confirm that you knew, and in hindsight I probably should've checked to be sure, but blah. Bent Knee was a fantastic entry and I definitely have to get that album in the near future. Snubbing Sacul on Destiny Potato was funny, too  :lol Aside from those, Foo Fighters, Destrage, and PFM were also pretty cool entries, really a lot of good stuff from you  :tup

In the end that's what matters  :tup :tup
Oh and I sent AAL just to took that risk, at times it's worth it.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #649 on: October 28, 2015, 02:54:29 PM »
i'm just like, super past anything djenty at this point, i think, don't have any interest in getting the new tesseract album even

Offline LordCost

« Reply #650 on: October 28, 2015, 03:43:47 PM »
I had fun too :tup. The writeups were interesting, the first impressions thing was a good idea and the results were always on time! Thumpermonkey play a sort of math rock, listen something from the last two albums ;)

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #651 on: October 28, 2015, 06:45:59 PM »
Sent my EP. There will be no  :metal
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: October 28, 2015, 07:03:27 PM »
Damn, I'm still working on it - managed to reduce it from 2.5 hours to just one and a half :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #653 on: October 28, 2015, 07:19:08 PM »
seneca was first to send and wins the roulette by default  :P

(there's no rush srsly lol)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #654 on: October 28, 2015, 07:43:37 PM »
Will send next year then  :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #655 on: October 28, 2015, 07:45:25 PM »
deadline is end of the month btw i just decided right now

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #656 on: October 28, 2015, 07:51:08 PM »
Fair enough. Btw, what's your take on experimental music? Do you like electronic glitches in your music?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #657 on: October 28, 2015, 08:01:32 PM »
answer: no, not at all
really electronic stuff will almost never do well with me

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: October 28, 2015, 08:44:22 PM »
Oh great! I deleted several tracks, and realised I barely reach 29 mins now. Thanks!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #659 on: October 28, 2015, 08:46:22 PM »
you had an hour of electronic stuff on your playlist?  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #660 on: October 28, 2015, 11:11:10 PM »
Kind of, yeah :lol

And lots of stuff I thought you'd dig, but realised you won't after, eh, reviewing and trying to make sense of your tastes :P

Will send this Friday evening (GMT -3).

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #661 on: October 29, 2015, 03:56:47 AM »
I'm sending mine tonight, because I'm going to Paris this weekend (starting Friday morning).
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #662 on: October 29, 2015, 12:51:30 PM »
My god, this is so difficult.. Should I send you the incoherent black metal and ska punk combination, the show-off-all-progressive-metal-band-you've-never-heard-of-disc or the one that showcases a couple of different bands and style while still remaining pretty cohesive?

I think I'm going with the latter, though it will be vastly different from the stuff that scored well for me in this roulette.
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #663 on: October 29, 2015, 01:02:05 PM »
y'all still get bonus points for sending stuff outside of my comfort zone, though they're applied to each track's individual score  :tup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #664 on: October 29, 2015, 01:06:58 PM »
Nah, I think I got my EP finished, I'm just listening to that thing a couple of times before sending it. I still really want to send you everything that didn't make the cut though. I really hope this EP will do the trick. Why can't you just let me win now? :|
Squ