Author Topic: Parama's Coincidental Roulette! (FINAL RESULTS!)  (Read 55115 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Parama's Coincidental Roulette! (Round 10 Listening)
« Reply #595 on: October 25, 2015, 03:06:06 AM »
Mine's about 5 minutes I think, I doubt that'll be considered overly long, but you never know  :'(
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #596 on: October 25, 2015, 08:47:33 PM »
So since I'm a horrible tease, I'm gonna do something ~fun~!
Slight spoilers for the results of Round 10, but only slight. Figure out which one is you for a hint at where your round 10 score lies  :biggrin:

Round 6
Round 7
Round 1
Round 3
Round 8
Round 9
Round 5
Round 10
Round 2
Round 4

Round 1
Round 3
Round 4
Round 10
Round 8
Round 2
Round 9
Round 7
Round 5
Round 6

Round 10
Round 9
Round 2
Round 7
Round 1
Round 3
Round 4
Round 5
Round 8
Round 6

Round 3
Round 2
Round 4
Round 7
Round 9
Round 1
Round 8
Round 5
Round 10
Round 6

Round 6
Round 8
Round 7
Round 10
Round 9
Round 3
Round 2
Round 5
Round 1
Round 4

Round 3
Round 8
Round 2
Round 10
Round 6
Round 1
Round 4
Round 9
Round 5
Round 7

Round 9
Round 6
Round 3
Round 2
Round 5
Round 4
Round 10
Round 1
Round 8
Round 7

Round 10
Round 1
Round 4
Round 6
Round 8
Round 3
Round 5
Round 2
Round 9
Round 7

Round 8
Round 1
Round 6
Round 7
Round 10
Round 2
Round 9
Round 5
Round 3
Round 4

Round 9
Round 7
Round 2
Round 10
Round 3
Round 6
Round 8
Round 5
Round 4
Round 1

Note: At the moment of doing these rankings, I have four listens done on the round 10 songs, and I've relistened to rounds 6-8. I also went and revisited two songs from the first five rounds and upped scores a tiny bit there. And there's a few songs that, if I were to go back, I'd lower by a half point or so, too. So not all of these are 100% accurate to my posted scores   :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #597 on: October 25, 2015, 09:06:28 PM »
I think I figured out which one mine is, and if I'm right, I'm very pleased that you like this song that much. It's not like I'm in this thing, really, but it's still really nice to see. That is, of course, assuming that I'm actually right about which list is mine! :lol
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #598 on: October 25, 2015, 09:11:35 PM »
on a side-note, i went and redid score sums for every score post thus far.

the end result was catching a total of two errors; Tomislav95 and FlyingBIZKIT each picked up an extra point somewhere, which is a bit unfortunate, but I need to be 100% sure on scores and I'm pretty sure now.
If someone else who isn't me wants to go over them too they can feel free to but I highly doubt anything is wrong at this point

The standings as of the end of Round 9 are:
Elite - 76
Sacul - 72
mikemangioy - 71.5
senecadawg2 - 70.5
Tomislav95 - 70
FlyingBIZKIT - 69.5
425 - 69
LordCost - 67
Train of Naught - 66.5
Shadow Ninja 2.0 - 64

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #599 on: October 25, 2015, 09:17:29 PM »
out of curiosity, i went and checked to see what the standings would be if i went with what i have in my relistens doc and round 10 doc right now.

the results are... a tiny bit heartbreaking for one of you  :'(

but some of these scores are subject to change, still  :corn

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #600 on: October 25, 2015, 09:21:56 PM »
Round 1
Round 3
Round 4
Round 10
Round 8
Round 2
Round 9
Round 7
Round 5
Round 6
Hell yeah  :metal

It also looks like some have sent their best song on this round.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #601 on: October 25, 2015, 11:47:18 PM »
in the meantime i did listen to a number of albums
the two maudlin of the Well albums were alright but I'm not sure how eager I am to rush out and get them, especially since mp3 is really the only feasible option
Deathconsciousness really needs another listen because 1. it's long 2. it's a lot to take in and i don't have much of an opinion on it yet
Emergent is a decent prog metal album but I don't know how badly I need it, especially since I already have a number of options in prog metal from this roulette alone that i preferred over it, but i'll prob get this and gordian knot's debut at some point
the Royal Blood album was decent but I don't think any of the other songs has as much groove as Loose Change, but maybe

also it turns out the homestuck song shadow ninja sent me was by toby fox which

makes a lot of sense
bless undertale
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 12:03:25 AM by Parama »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #602 on: October 26, 2015, 01:26:37 AM »
So, what happens? Some people gain a couple of points for relistens, others lose some points?
And then the round 10 results points gept added to the total. Since you said I should be preparing the Final round, I guess whatpever halpens, I'll still be in the top 3 (bit maybe not in first place anymore)

Do the results from the first 10 rounds count towards the end result of the EP round?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #603 on: October 26, 2015, 01:55:49 AM »
I think this is me:
Round 10
Round 1
Round 4
Round 6
Round 8
Round 3
Round 5
Round 2
Round 9
Round 7
I didn't think you'd like final round submission that much, I'm getting at least 8,5 :)
It's interesting,  my lowest score is 6,5 and highest 8,5.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #604 on: October 26, 2015, 02:40:36 AM »
Round 9
Round 7
Round 2
Round 10
Round 3
Round 6
Round 8
Round 5
Round 4
Round 1

This is mine, meaning it's currently sitting at a 7.5-ish score, which is alright, but probably not enough to get me up to that #8 spot  :'(
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #605 on: October 26, 2015, 08:42:37 AM »
Mine is the first one, I'll score 6.5 or 7. Honestly I didn't expect much this round,I didn't find really good closers not banned

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #606 on: October 26, 2015, 08:57:03 AM »
i don't take off points in relistens even if there are songs i think i rated too highly the first time, i only add points.
and the EP round is going to be for the whole thing, regardless of the results from the first 10 rounds.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #607 on: October 26, 2015, 09:14:55 AM »
Can you remind me, is it the top four of three that move on to the EP? I know I read it somewhere before, but I can't seem to find it again. And I take it results coming soon?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #608 on: October 26, 2015, 09:27:47 AM »
three, and results should be some point today

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #609 on: October 26, 2015, 12:20:48 PM »
The Relisten Brigade, Pt. 2

senecadawg2: Lunatic Soul – Cold

Mmm. When I’m taking this outside of the context of the theme it’s a bit better, but still not that engaging. I like it more than AAL or OSI, at least? So.

New Score: 5/10 (+1)

425: Iron Maiden – Sign of the Cross

Meh. Relistening to this, 6 flat feels just a bit too low for this, but it’s still my least favorite of the round.

New Score: 6.5/10 (+.5)

senecadawg2: Agalloch – Limbs

Ehh, now that I’ve been actually listening to a lot of black metal, I dig this one a bit more. I think it would be better if the vocals were a bit lower in the mix, like a lot of the stuff I’ve been listening to has been tending to do? But yeah, I feel a half-point back for this one is fair.

New Score: 8/10 (+.5)

mikemangioy: Destrage – My Green Neighbor

Ehh, I was already a bit unsure on this score the first time and I think it deserves at least another half-point, though I don’t really have anything new to say about it.

New Score: 8/10 (+.5)

Elite: Frost* – Experiments in Mass Appeal

Ehh, this one gets a bit better when taken outside of the context of the theme, too. Probably because of the build at the end. Giving you an extra half-point hardly matters anyways at this point but, whatever :lol

New Score: 8.5/10 (+.5)

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Múm – Green Grass of Tunnel

Honestly if not for this song I might’ve skipped relistening to round 9 at all, but I was just super unsure of this rating. And I’m gonna bump it up, yeah, it’s just a very pleasant song that I quite enjoy, even if the vocals aren’t the greatest.

New Score: 8.5 (+.5 Bonus) = 9/10 (+.5)

mikemangioy: Bent Knee – Being Human

Out of all the songs in this roulette, this is the one I keep coming back to and relistening to the most. I mean Limousine I listen to on the album and have probably heard more but this one I go seek out on its own. The live version was really cool too and does a few things better, a few things worse. Watching it helped me catch some more of the subtleties I missed before, as well. Also it turns out there’s another minute and a half of reeeeally pleasant ambience at the end of the full version! You should’ve sent me that version, to be honest. I dunno, if any other song in this roulette deserves a 10, it’s this one.

New Score: 10/10 (+.5)

Adjusted Scores
Elite – 76.5
mikemangioy – 72.5
Sacul - 72
senecadawg2 – 72
Tomislav95 - 70
FlyingBIZKIT - 69.5
425 – 69.5
LordCost - 67
Train of Naught - 66.5
Shadow Ninja 2.0 – 64.5

Not nearly as many changes this time since I'm getting better at rating stuff and a lot of the ones from the more recent rounds were scores I wasn't so sure of to begin with.

Offline 425

« Reply #610 on: October 26, 2015, 12:46:43 PM »
Eleven saintly shrouded men...

Silhouettes stand against the sky...

One in front with a cross held high...

Come to wash...

My sins...

Away.

Still sad that you didn't love it but I appreciate the extra half-point! :tup
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #611 on: October 26, 2015, 12:54:01 PM »
Tfw I didn't get any extra point  :sadpanda:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #612 on: October 26, 2015, 12:59:41 PM »
if we're gonna be honest badbadnotgood is one of the songs i would've taken a half-point off of if i was lowering scores

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #613 on: October 26, 2015, 02:05:40 PM »
No extra point for Chelsea Wolfe or PRR?  :angel:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #614 on: October 26, 2015, 02:10:56 PM »
No extra point for Chelsea Wolfe or PRR?  :angel:
i didn't revisit most round 1-5 songs, and chelsea wolfe didn't have that 8.5 shine to it
i wanted to like it more than i did, i guess

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #615 on: October 26, 2015, 03:25:55 PM »
just started on write-ups, get hyped  :metal

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #616 on: October 26, 2015, 04:24:49 PM »
I'm ready :metal

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #617 on: October 26, 2015, 04:49:05 PM »
*heavy breathing*

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #618 on: October 26, 2015, 05:43:37 PM »
Round 10 Results:

LordCost: Alter Bridge – The End Is Here

First Impressions: You get to be the first of the two Alter Bridge songs I got this round! I have heard one Alter Bridge song from guitar hero and like, nothing else. I don’t even remember the song name but it’s neither of these two. Thus far this is falling into the category of songs of “I can say I like this and wouldn’t turn it off, but nothing about it really stands out.” It seems to, more than anything else, rely on an emotional weight that I’m not quite being hit with, at least not on first listen. There’s some okay riffs, but nothing surprising. The vocals are alright, kind of standard for the post-grunge genre. Ehh. Wish I liked this more than I do, mostly.

Final Thoughts: Yeah, this has the dual disadvantage of not being a song I’m too crazy about to begin with, and very clearly weaker than the other song from this same artist I was sent this round. It’s entirely solid. The Alter Bridge singer is passable as a singer, but he doesn’t really stand out to me as great. Fits the music, certainly.

The production job on this one isn’t great, either, rather muddy and I feel like some stuff gets lost in the louder moments. Not awful or anything but far from the best. The hooks and riffs are just okay, too. The womp-womp riff thing is the only thing I was ever remembering about this song when it ended, though. Couldn’t remember the verses, chorus, anything, just that riff. So I guess I’d call that the strongest point of the song, but even then it isn’t particularly strong.

The one thing this has over the other Alter Bridge song is that it knows to end when it should instead of two minutes later, but for all intents and purposes this is just a standard, kind of forgettable post-grunge song to me. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing I’m likely to return to.

Also apparently the singer is Myles Kennedy again? And the guitarist is Mark Tremonti? Train, it seems like someone really wanted to re-enter your artists :lol

Score: 7/10

mikemangioy: Rush – The Garden

First Impressions: I know some Rush, but I’m completely unfamiliar with any of their output in the last, let’s say, 30 years? :lol Geddy Lee sure sounds a lot different here than on the Rush I’m familiar with, and wow that production is just super muddy. Really, really struggling to have much to say about this one. It’s alright. It just sounds like a kind of standard alt-rock closing ballad? Which isn’t what I expected at all, so props for that I guess???

Final Thoughts: Honestly, if you hadn’t told me this was Rush, I never would’ve guessed it was. Geddy Lee barely sounds like the Geddy Lee I’m familiar with and the music isn’t very Rush-sounding either. Maybe that has to do with the fact that I haven’t heard a single Rush song that came out in like the past 30 years or so, but :lol

That production is really hard to get past. It’s just. It destroys basically all the instrumentation. The instrumentation isn’t even much to write home about to begin with, either… bass does a few cool things, the strings are alright, but other than that, nothing really notable.

Geddy’s singing here is fine enough, and the harmonized vocals that come up later into the song are pretty cool, the song is able to come into its own and sound pretty full and grand in the later sections despite the production and it’s mostly in part because of how cool the harmonized vocals sound and how well they’re used.

Overall this is… fine. It’s certainly not making me too interested in whatever Rush has been doing since the 80’s, but it’s not something that completely bores me or something I’d turn off if it was on the radio (that I don’t ever listen to). But just not really strong enough for me to get much from it.

Score: 7/10

FlyingBIZKIT: Smashing Pumpkins – The Beginning Is the End Is the Beginning

First Impressions: Next on the list of “bands that I know a few songs from but have never checked out on my own”. Probably because I don’t really like Billy Corgan’s voice. APPARENTLY this is from the Batman & Robin soundtrack? Well then. Okay. I just… don’t dig his voice, at all. Not that he’s a bad singer, or that his voice is lacking in emotion; there’s really nothing wrong with it, other than it doesn’t resonate well with me. The song very heavily focuses on his vocals, with an alright electronic and string backbone to it, but if I don’t like the main attraction, the sideshows aren’t really going to be enough to make up for it.

Final Thoughts: Ehh, the vocals grew on me a bit, even if I’m still not the biggest fan of his voice. The harmonies in the chorus are probably what did that. They work a lot better than his singing in the verses.

The instrumental backbone here is solid enough, it wouldn’t stand on its own in the same way that the vocals wouldn’t stand on their own without the instrumentals, but the instrumentals here are definitely the better half of this musical sandwich. The synths and electronic percussion sound a bit dated, even for the song’s release date, but in a kind of charming way. The song really does feel like a product of its time, if nothing else.

The strength of the chorus is probably what elevates this above the previous two songs this round, but beyond that there isn’t a lot I really feel inclined to revisit here. Solid, but not fantastic.

Score: 7.5/10

Train of Naught: A.C.T. – A Failed Escape Attempt

First Impressions: First thoughts are that this is just some pretty solid symphonic metal. The strings might be a bit underplayed, they seem to be mixed in the background when they’re there at all, but they have presence nonetheless. They do add to the song. This feels like perfect 7.5-8.0 bait though, it’s solid enough but not standing out in any real way. I dunno how much of a feeling of finality this has, a little I guess, but not that strongly.

Final Thoughts: Another song in the category of songs where I basically can’t remember a single thing about it after it’s done, but I enjoy it while I’m listening to it. The mixing on this is just a bit weird in general, it feels like, the high end is a lot lower than the low end and the strings, synth, and sometimes the guitar end up drowned out.

‘Tis a shame because the instrumentation is, at a base level, pretty good. Not the most original but the basslines are solid, the drums tend to do interesting things that keep energy high.  The guitar riffs are pretty chuggy as a whole but they’re all solid enough, the instrumental break has some nice interplay between all the instruments going on too.

Don’t really have any comment on the vocals. They’re… there. It’s a very power-metal-y voice that generally doesn’t do much for me, but doesn’t bother me either. As a whole I’d say I like this enough to give it a pretty decent score, but I still doubt I’ll remember a thing about this in a week or two from now.

Score: 8/10

Sacul: Alter Bridge – Blackbird

First Impressions: Man, the vocals here are just on a completely other level from the other song sent by this artist, and the instrumentation seems much stronger too. Maybe it’s the 6/8 feel though because I am a sucker for 6/8. This is clearly a “nothing particularly unique or original but quite competent and with a lot of power behind it” type of song, a type that has, thus far in the roulette, been faring pretty damn well. Also one heck of a solo, wow. It does feel like it outstays its welcome a bit, though. A 6-minute edit of this would probably be more effective.

Final Thoughts: It’s pretty cool how the acoustic guitar line in the intro plays the same melody as the vocals in the chorus, nice foreshadow-y touch. The singing here is just, a lot more powerful than the other Alter Bridge song of the round, too, which I’m thankful for, and the riffs pack a lot more punch, too, that first heavy riff especially, that’s good. That makes me happy.

The bridge has a nice build to it and that guitar solo is pretty good, not too showy and some strong melodies. It’s a good way to transition back into the chorus from the softer bridge, the backing instrumentation having some nice swell to it. The last chorus doesn’t really have anything that elevates it above the second chorus that happened 3 minutes prior, though. And then the song… has two minutes to go, for some bizarre reason.

I think when your second chorus ends 3 minutes in, the song being 8 minutes is… a bit much. Yeah, this song definitely lost points for feeling overlong, I was pretty dang sure about that the first time I listened to it. It just repeats the one heavy riff for a while, then goes to the acoustic line from the verse with a basic solo over it.

It’s not like, a horrible way to end a song, but it really feels like something could’ve been done to tighten up the song, and it doesn’t feel as overlong as the first two or three times I listened to it, but. It’s a solid rock song with a lot of power behind it and if its only real flaw is that it should’ve ended a minute or two sooner I can’t fault that too much.

Score: 8/10

Elite: Bruce Springsteen – New York City Serenade

First Impressions: This is certainly a strange entry given my tastes, so let’s see how it fares. Apparently, pretty well. The acoustic guitar and piano drive the song, but the strings and sax come in as it all builds up, and the song gets more and more compelling the more it progresses. There’s a great sense of progression, new elements and sections introduced and buildup happening the whole way through, but it’s not afraid to return to familiar themes either to keep things sounding cohesive. Yeah, I can already tell you on first listen that you’re easily in the finals with a submission like this :lol

Final Thoughts: The piano solo intro is pretty strange; it changes between these very classical-sounding passages and jazzier sounding ones but they work surprisingly well together, even though I wouldn’t say piano solos of that kind are something I like that much, but as an intro it’s a good start.

When the song begins for real, the piano and guitar interplay is just very nice and pleasant, and Springsteen’s vocals are just, great. I don’t think that’s a surprise. The piano line that plays in what I guess serves as the chorus is pretty nice, a good hook in its own right.

The build the song gets going as the verses go on and more instruments come in is very effective, climaxing in a much more upbeat passage that comes and goes almost too quickly. I mean, if the entire song was just that I’d get tired of it, but we only get about 20 seconds of it in an otherwise slower-paced song that never really hits as much of a climax after.

The song fades out a little then comes back full force with another big moment, and just kind of holds on it and eventually feels like it’s meandering a bit too much on it. The sax solo is fine and all but I wouldn’t have complained about a minute or so of the ending being chopped off, but maybe that’s just me. Cut down the intro and outro a bit and I’d probably like this a bit more but even as is it’s a very nice ride from start to finish with some big moments and great instrumentation the whole way through.

Score: 8.5/10

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Native Construct – Chromatic Aberration

First Impressions: Well the RNG is a jerk, going from one long prog metal song to another one, fantastic :lol I actually gave this album a spin once back when this first came out and people were giving it a lot of buzz and I thought it was in the category of “totally fine but not that interesting or unique”. There’s… a lot going on at any given moment, to be sure. It feels a bit overly noisy, actually, but it’s not necessarily a bad thing, either. Just… very chaotic and very proggy. A bit much to take in on first listen. Maybe the effect of having this right after Headspace but this ain’t doing much on first listen, I’m only 4 minutes in and already wondering how much is left to go. It feels more like a string of ideas patched together than it does any sort of cohesive song, mostly. Bleeehh. This needs more listens, clearly.

Final Thoughts: Honestly the first time I listened to this I was fully prepared for it to end up with like, a 6 or something. It was just an absolute mess of a song that went nowhere and ended really pathetically.

And… everything in that last sentence is still wholly true, but it grew on me a fair bit. There’s a few tricks they like to pull a fair number of times; the biggest and probably my favorite being these short bursts that repeat in the middle of other riffs or ideas. The vocals playing off these bursts, especially, creates some cool moments.

For how incohesive and messy the song is, it’s interesting that it at least all flows well. It’s more like a series of different proggy ideas strung together really tightly; the gaps between each section happen smoothly enough that I barely notice them unless I’m really paying attention, it’s strange how effortlessly they’re able to transition from wacky progfests to quieter moments.

And it’s smart that there are breaks from the wackiness that happens. The song starts on a constant rhythm, goes into “what is happening” mode for a bit, then cools down with a simpler, quieter moment. Of course, drums come in to infuse it with some technicality, but it works as a build, strings coming in to give the song some swell.

Also, there’s an absolutely delicious bass groove at 5:45 which is the highlight of the song without any competition. I just love that. The guitar and vocals play off it well and it has another of those bursts in it that I find really amusing.

Around the nine-minute mark there’s a pretty cool climax that is pretty grand and epic and, being the ending movement of a near-epic such as this, works pretty dang well, there’s been more than enough build to deserve this level of swell.

Unfortunately, that isn’t actually the end. Nothing against the heavy moments that come after it, either, they’re fine enough on their own right, but… the song just seems to fizzle out a little in the last few minutes. It just seems like fundamentally wrong songwriting to me. Aside from the blastbeats, the song doesn’t really do much else new. The last minute is just one heck of an anti-climax, this really heavy riff with harsh vocals that… dies… unceremoniously… it’s super confusing that they chose to end the song and the album this way. Like, what the heck happened?

Now that I’ve had time to process this better, it has grown on me a fair bit, enough to convince me to at least check out this album again, but I wouldn’t say it’s top-tier as far as prog epics or near-epics go and, man, those last few minutes are just unfortunate.

Tomislav95: Thy Light – …And I Finally Reach My End

First Impressions: I mean, if you’re gonna use a sample, yeah, make it something pleasant like this song starts with. Atmospheric Black Metal is actually, like, my jam right now, I’ve listened to some Burzum and Wolves in the Throne Room recently along with some Blackgaze stuff too. The production quality of this seems a bit above average for the genre, but this is the remastered version so maybe that happened there. Honestly not complaining. The vocals here seem especially downplayed, which I actually appreciate considering what little of them there are don’t exactly suit my fancy, probably the only element I don't dig here. Not much else to say, it’s an atmospheric track that does atmosphere well. Crushing and evocative but never overwhelming and never overly noisy, just the way I like it.

Final Thoughts: Okay, so, the more I listened to this… man, those vocals are just SILLY, more than anything else. I don’t know what it is about them but those howls or moans or whatever are just dorky and funny and proooobably shouldn’t have been included if it were up to me, but they aren’t a huge distracted in the end and I can kind of ignore them if I don’t listen too closely.

And that is one thing about this, it serves pretty well as background music, possibly better than as active listening music primarily because of the vocals. It’s got enough power to it and enough texture to it to carry its mood pretty far and the thirteen minutes don’t end up feeling that long even though the song is pretty one-note the whole way through. It’s not just like one guitar line the whole way through, though, it has some distinct sections and a break near the end, all that good stuff.

Not a lot to say about this, though, vocals aside there’s no problem I have with it, it’s something I enjoy listening to but I may have been a bit oversaturated with this kind of stuff as of late to where it doesn’t stand out among the crowd. Nonetheless I enjoy it a fair bit.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #619 on: October 26, 2015, 05:43:51 PM »
senecadawg2: Headspace – Daddy F***ing Loves You

First Impressions: Congrats on the “longest song of the entire roulette” award. There’s no prize, but. Also, only song title I’ve needed to censor. The start is a pretty effective fit of the theme, too. Very pretty. Song doesn’t take too long to really kick in, either. The singer’s voice is pretty interesting. Seems especially high-pitched but pleasant. Oh. This guy’s sung on a ton of Ayreon stuff, apparently. I recognize that voice, yes. I like how this builds slowly from very light to heavy, but even when it gets to “heavy” it doesn’t go all-out loudness, it still has room to build yet. And this is, clearly, proggy as heck. I think this kind of thing runs the risk of being pleasant but unmemorable, especially considering the length, but that’s not something to judge yet, we’ll see how I feel during my final writeup. Some of these riffs are kinda djenty, but it’s far from “djent” as a whole, which is probably the best way to use djenty stuff; in small doses. Anyways this is long but also good yet there’s not a lot to say about it.

Final Thoughts: Man, as far as “starting a prog epic” goes, this has to be high on the list. The intro is a very nice and pleasant beginning that you know is going to betray the heaviness of the rest of the song. Sure, it seems a little detached from even the section that comes right after it, but ehh, I wouldn’t want the song to just skip over that first section.

The relaxed groove of the next section is pretty nice and you can really hear the song building up all the while, until the first heavy riffs kick in. The riffs are passable enough though not really a standout, but soon enough the first proggier section kicks in, I like the frantic descending scale thing that kicks off this section a lot. The rest of this section… it’s fine enough but doesn’t do a lot for me, it’s the same kind of prog metal instrumental you’d hear any other band do, DT has written this section before, Haken has written this section before, a ton of other similar bands that I don’t actually listen to have probably written this section before. It’s all fine enough stuff, just not particularly inventive or grabbing.

The break in the middle for another softer moment is much-needed when it comes in, though it has much darker undertones than the brighter soft moments earlier in the song. And a pretty nice acoustic solo to finish it off, before more of the proggy stuff comes back in. At least here Wilson’s still singing with the riffs and synths and strings providing a backdrop for the more intense vocals. The solos and unisons that happen until the 10-minute mark are fine enough but again, not really that impressive nor original.

And then another softer break with piano and strings, light guitar melodies. Very pretty, haunting stuff. The heavier stuff that comes in after has a solid drumline to it and comes to a really nice climax with harmonized vocals and crushing riffs at the end. And the big climax that follows is pretty great, too, as is the kind of noodly guitar line to close out the song.

Of course, this song also doesn’t end right after the biggest, most climactic moment of the song, same as Native Construct did. The song fades out on its last idea and we get… my favorite thing ever, samples! At least, here, they fit. And the acoustic passage that really closes out the song is very nice and serves as a good outro; end on a light note just as you started on a light note. I think I’d like this ending better if it crossfaded from the guitar noodling to the lighter acoustic line and had just cut out the sample bit altogether, but I don’t think it really felt unnecessary here like the end of the Native Construct song did, and as a closer it works quite well. Despite not actually being a closer on the album. How about that.

So in the end… the proggier this song gets, the less I seem to like it, my favorite parts are the softer, prettier parts, and the huge but straightforward parts. The fifteen minutes go by pretty fast though and the two proggy instrumental breaks are both only about 2-3 minutes each so they don’t dominate the song nor feel too excessive, even if they’re not really memorable in the slightest to me. A very solid song on the whole though, will definitely have to look into this album/band.

425: Dire Straits – Brothers in Arms

First Impressions: Dire Straits! I know a few songs from these guys and they’re generally alright. Sultans of Swing is a cool song. The start of this is absolutely NAILING the theme this round, it’s very clear this is an ending, though it’s keeping me on edge whether it’ll be a happy one or a sad one. Sometimes minimalism is just more effective, the very empty feel of the first verse is quite haunting. It gives a good base to build on. It’s very clear that this song is gonna get huge, and you’re just along for the ride as it happens. I really want to look up the lyrics of this one the next time I listen to it, they feel really important here. The organ and the somber guitar leads, the soft-spoken verses… yeah, they get to me a little.

Final Thoughts: So I did look up the lyrics on my second listen, and… they’re serviceable, they carry a good message in simple words, and I wouldn’t say they drag the song down but they don’t elevate it either; the more important factor here is the delivery of those lyrics, which is just fantastic.

Is that a bagpipe or a harmonica or something else in the first verse, I can’t actually tell, whatever it is it’s probably the most important instrument for that section, it just really sells the mood. The song knows not to stay that empty forever, either, with drums and organ coming in to give the song more of a pulse for the second verse, making each of them special in their own right rather than repeating the same thing unnecessarily.

The guitar throughout spends a lot of time playing various short leads that keep a unified sound but are technically different every time (I think? I don’t have them memorized or anything but they all sound different) which is a kind of style I like a lot, it’s a very Floydian thing to do. I have to imagine this song was very Floyd-inspired. Actually, the song it reminds me of the most is Two Suns in the Sunset, a really good song on an otherwise rather forgettable/mediocre album. Maybe that’s part of why I like it so much.

But yes, this is just a very emotional ride all the way through, with the perfect instrumentation to fit the mood, enough swell to keep the tension constantly building but not too much so as to get overwrought and melodramatic. I’m actually sad this one is only 7 minutes, I’d have loved for it to be longer with how powerful the mood it carries throughout is, but it’s not too short and that comes down more to personal preference than anything else.

So yeah. A pretty clear standout for a round otherwise filled with good but not amazing songs.

Score: 9.5/10

Final Standings
Elite – 85
senecadawg2 – 80.5
Sacul - 80
mikemangioy – 79.5
425 – 79
Tomislav95 – 78.5
FlyingBIZKIT - 77
Train of Naught – 74.5
LordCost - 74
Shadow Ninja 2.0 – 73

And that means that the final round will be played by…
Elite, senecadawg2, and Sacul!

Sorry to everyone else, especially mike, who missed the finals by half a point, but only three people could make it in the end!

I’m gonna try and write words at the seven of you who are done soon, probably not tonight but maybe tomorrow, as a sort of post-mortem, as I do have words that need to be said :lol

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Parama's Coincidental Roulette! (ROUND 10 RESULTS!!!)
« Reply #620 on: October 26, 2015, 05:51:08 PM »
Glad you enjoyed the song, it always seems to score well in roulettes.

And now the slate is wiped clean, eh? Watch out Richard and Lucas!

I never considered it, but Brothers in Arms is a great choice. Definitely my favorite Dire Straits song, not to mention having a phenomenal atmosphere and top-tier guitar solo. Good thinking, 425

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #621 on: October 26, 2015, 05:57:21 PM »
i am fully expecting you all to do a good job sending me songs i like but the final results will end up coming down to the 10 points for EP cohesiveness because i know from experience that's way harder to get right than just sending a lot of good music, i'd have given my EP in 425's roulette like a 6 or so for flow and cohesiveness if that had been a factor  :lol

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #622 on: October 26, 2015, 06:13:26 PM »
Glad you enjoyed the song, it always seems to score well in roulettes.

And now the slate is wiped clean, eh? Watch out Richard and Lucas!

I never considered it, but Brothers in Arms is a great choice. Definitely my favorite Dire Straits song, not to mention having a phenomenal atmosphere and top-tier guitar solo. Good thinking, 425
I think I already said it but Brothers in Arms may be my favorite song ever. I'm always coming back to it (especially that Mandela's birthday version) and love it more and more.
About vocals in Thy Light. Band is labeled as suicide depressive black metal (yes, that exist) and vocals represent pain and depression. Some other songs have lyrics (I think there are just random screams in one I sent). It's interesting album is actually demo and Thy Light is one-man band, kinda cool.
Maybe it's better I didn't enter the final, I really need to study alot and do some homework for exercise (Java programming, pain in the ass right now :P).
Congratulations everyone :) Parama, count me in for your 2nd Roulette, I really had fun in this one :D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #623 on: October 26, 2015, 06:18:21 PM »
i haven't worked much with java lately, C++ for me  :lol

and i probably won't be doing a second roulette for a loooong time but i'll try to remember to keep you on the player list when i do another  :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #624 on: October 26, 2015, 07:01:48 PM »
Glad you liked Brothers In Arms that much! :tup It's one of those songs that I think everyone needs to hear; it's just so powerful.

Too bad I didn't find some of the magic I've had these last two rounds a bit sooner. Then again, I have no idea what I'd put on an EP, so maybe it's better this way, going out on a good note. Mostly I'm just happy you liked some of what I sent, obviously these last two songs in particular.

Thanks for having me! You're obviously invited for my V2 if a) that ever happens and b) you promise not to send another hour-long song. :lol
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #626 on: October 26, 2015, 07:50:09 PM »
This was fun, thanks for having me! :tup

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #627 on: October 26, 2015, 07:54:05 PM »
I'm having a hard time choosing my songs and the order, but I should have it set and sent by tomorrow.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #628 on: October 26, 2015, 07:54:29 PM »
Hell yeah :2metal:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #629 on: October 26, 2015, 07:57:52 PM »
I'm having a hard time choosing my songs and the order, but I should have it set and sent by tomorrow.
honestly there's no rush 'cause i have an off-site music binge i need to do tomorrow/wednesday so i probably won't get to these until thursday at the latest  :lol