Author Topic: Parama's Coincidental Roulette! (FINAL RESULTS!)  (Read 54684 times)

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Re: Parama's Coincidental Roulette! (ROUND 9 RESULTS)
« Reply #560 on: October 20, 2015, 12:31:25 PM »
Heh, almost sent Summer's glory as well.

Round ten will come your way soon, have to think about this.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #561 on: October 20, 2015, 03:57:31 PM »
i'm way behind on listening to albums to go along with entries but i gave the Lesoir album a listen just now.
The album feels oddly backloaded; Battle is still great but tracks 2-5 all were a bit weaker, far from bad but didn't do a lot for me. Press Play to Start was great though and after In Reverse everything else was fantastic too, so. At first I wasn't really feeling it but about by the time of the title track I'd decided I definitely wanted this album  :lol

gonna ease off on most of the stuff I got recently (except Coheed, since that's still p. new) and try to spin the albums of every 8.5+ score since round 6, except for the ones I'd already spun once before people sent me songs off them  :lol
(and actually the Alcest I was looking towards getting the most was Ecailles but it probably wouldn't hurt to get both Ecailles and Les Voyages considering I just love this band's sound anyways)

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #562 on: October 20, 2015, 04:11:41 PM »
You're not going to want to miss out on their debut, while you're at it. I think Shelter is their weakest yet, but it's still got the phenomenal Deliverance.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #563 on: October 20, 2015, 04:15:05 PM »
yeah, basically everything I've seen suggests that their first three albums are all great, which is great for me

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #564 on: October 20, 2015, 08:54:41 PM »
also listened to that Shining album too, it's... uhh, intense, maybe a bit too much for my tastes right now but it seemed pretty cool, will probably get it eventually

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #565 on: October 20, 2015, 10:49:11 PM »
Blackjazz?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #566 on: October 20, 2015, 10:58:48 PM »
Blackjazz?
yes, that one
the king crimson cover was pretty cool tho

also i'm listening to a lot of albums i'm trying to decide between for my next order and i'm realizing
obsidian kingdom
lesoir
schizoid lloyd
serdce (indirectly)

a ton of these are Elite's fault
Bent Knee is on the table too 'cause that's basically my second favorite song of the roulette, still, but the album as a whole didn't do as much for me
the seller I'm looking at also has Alcest, Markéta Irglová, Enslaved, and Shining for pretty good prices too but i don't want to get everything at once even if i'd save a little on shipping by getting everything at once  :lol
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 11:04:53 PM by Parama »

Offline LordCost

« Reply #567 on: October 20, 2015, 11:00:58 PM »
Sent a song that fits the theme like no other

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: October 20, 2015, 11:04:00 PM »
Oh yes, the cover is pretty cool, but I'm quite meh on that record overall. Anyways, will send an epic closer... :soon:

And I thought about sending you Dead Can Dance but when Sacul said he sent some ambient I thought he sent it because I know he loves it :D .
I had some DCD planned for the EP round, but still have doubts about whether Parama will like them or not. Feel free to send them tho :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #569 on: October 20, 2015, 11:09:03 PM »
Oh yes, the cover is pretty cool, but I'm quite meh on that record overall. Anyways, will send an epic closer... :soon:
i'm gonna get it at some point mostly out of sheer curiosity  but it sounds like something i'd really warm up to after having a few more good listens in

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #570 on: October 21, 2015, 02:03:45 AM »
And I thought about sending you Dead Can Dance but when Sacul said he sent some ambient I thought he sent it because I know he loves it :D .
I had some DCD planned for the EP round, but still have doubts about whether Parama will like them or not. Feel free to send them tho :P
I should have send them instead of Emancipator but I had dilemma. Also, I'm sucker for samples. Too bad Parama isn't, I would get better score on song I sent :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #571 on: October 21, 2015, 01:01:08 PM »
where should I even start with Enslaved, also, they have 13 albums apparently ???
Maybe I'll just stick with the one I know a song off of and am listening to right now (it seems like Roots of the Mountain isn't a fluke song, at least) but poking around I'm getting conflicting reports  :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #572 on: October 21, 2015, 02:50:44 PM »
Their newest album is one of my favorite of the year. Top 5-10, at least. Easily. Really solid album, almost no filler at all (for my tastes at least). You should definitely check it out.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: October 21, 2015, 08:25:09 PM »
Sent an epic tune  :metal

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #574 on: October 21, 2015, 11:33:17 PM »
still need two more and i'mma be a bit unhappy if i don't have them by the time i wake up tomorrow, blah  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: October 22, 2015, 09:53:35 AM »
Also, I'm sucker for samples. Too bad Parama isn't, I would get better score on song I sent :lol
I love samples too - some of my all-time favorites have lots of them, or are even completely written with samples.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #576 on: October 22, 2015, 11:19:57 AM »
from what i've seen apparently Pelagial is always a 2-disc album? what if i just want the disc with vocals  :lol
(it's pretty good, the vocals work well with the music even when they get harsh so)

anyways still waiting on Elite  :lol
will get to this as soon as i have all songs

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: October 22, 2015, 11:45:51 AM »
anyways still waiting on Elite  :lol
will get to this as soon as i have all songs

It was his birthday yesterday, he's probably still drinking. :angel:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #578 on: October 22, 2015, 11:49:12 AM »
happy birthday elite your present is participating in my roulette  :tup

Offline LordCost

« Reply #579 on: October 22, 2015, 02:15:08 PM »
I have the 2-disc album at home, I suppose that a single disc version doesn't exist but I don't know..

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #580 on: October 22, 2015, 02:19:54 PM »
i was poking around and everywhere i looked they only had 2-disc versions so i'm just going to assume 1-disc doesn't exist  :lol
which is fine, dunno how much i'd be happy about for paying for basically the same album twice though

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #581 on: October 22, 2015, 03:51:30 PM »
Sent, with a birthday and uni graduation delay.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #582 on: October 22, 2015, 04:04:10 PM »
congratulations  :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #583 on: October 22, 2015, 04:12:52 PM »
i was poking around and everywhere i looked they only had 2-disc versions so i'm just going to assume 1-disc doesn't exist  :lol
which is fine, dunno how much i'd be happy about for paying for basically the same album twice though

It is worth it.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #584 on: October 22, 2015, 10:21:27 PM »
i can already tell you in advance that this round will take a bit longer, expect results probably 4 days from now instead of the usual 3  :lol
halfway through the first impressions though, so

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #585 on: October 22, 2015, 11:09:55 PM »
Despite the extended length limit, this round is only about 12 minutes longer than Round 8 was  :lol
Also! Second occurrence of two people sending the same artist. Sweet.

4:58 - 5:18 - 5:34 - 6:59 - 7:06 - 7:58 - 9:56 - 12:28 - 13:06 - 15:00

The strings might be a bit underplayed, they seem to be mixed in the background when they’re there at all, but they have presence nonetheless. They do add to the song.

The vocals here seem especially downplayed, which I actually appreciate considering what little of them there are don’t exactly suit my fancy, probably the only element I don't dig here.

There’s a great sense of progression, new elements and sections introduced and buildup happening the whole way through, but it’s not afraid to return to familiar themes either to keep things sounding cohesive.

Thus far this is falling into the category of songs of “I can say I like this and wouldn’t turn it off, but nothing about it really stands out.” It seems to, more than anything else, rely on an emotional weight that I’m not quite being hit with, at least not on first listen.

Sometimes minimalism is just more effective, the very empty feel of the first verse is quite haunting. It gives a good base to build on. It’s very clear that this song is gonna get huge, and you’re just along for the ride as it happens.

This is clearly a “nothing particularly unique or original but quite competent and with a lot of power behind it” type of song, a type that has, thus far in the roulette, been faring pretty damn well.

I like how this builds slowly from very light to heavy, but even when it gets to “heavy” it doesn’t go all-out loudness, it still has room to build yet.

There’s… a lot going on at any given moment, to be sure. It feels a bit overly noisy, actually, but it’s not necessarily a bad thing, either. Just… very chaotic and very proggy. A bit much to take in on first listen.

Really, really struggling to have much to say about this one. It’s alright. It just sounds like a kind of standard alt-rock closing ballad? Which isn’t what I expected at all, so props for that I guess???

I just… don’t dig his voice, at all. Not that he’s a bad singer, or that his voice is lacking in emotion; there’s really nothing wrong with it, other than it doesn’t resonate well with me.

Yeah... round's gonna need more listens to sink in but I'm overall pretty pleased with these. One song here that neither is nor feels like a closer but it's close enough that I'm not gonna bother asking for a resubmission, blah.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's Coincidental Roulette! (Round 10 Listening)
« Reply #586 on: October 22, 2015, 11:27:48 PM »
I just… don’t dig his voice, at all. Not that he’s a bad singer, or that his voice is lacking in emotion; there’s really nothing wrong with it, other than it doesn’t resonate well with me.[/i]

Yup. :tup

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #587 on: October 23, 2015, 04:28:53 AM »
I just… don’t dig his voice, at all. Not that he’s a bad singer, or that his voice is lacking in emotion; there’s really nothing wrong with it, other than it doesn’t resonate well with me.[/i]

Yup. :tup
Oh, I was thinking that would be mine, but I guess it could be anyone's.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline 425

« Reply #588 on: October 23, 2015, 06:30:00 AM »
No idea which is mine. Some of the ones that I think could be mine are good and some are bad.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #589 on: October 23, 2015, 08:50:32 AM »
have confidence, everyone's getting a 10 this round

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #590 on: October 23, 2015, 09:43:52 PM »
decided after first listen that i probably shouldn't listen to all of these in one sitting again, which is a positive choice, but also guarantees this is gonna take longer than the other rounds

as compensation i will be doing relistens to songs from the other rounds while doing this round, i want relisten scores to be finalized first, actually, so that when i post round 10 results the three people going to the final round will instantly know who they are and can start working on their ep's

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #591 on: October 24, 2015, 07:13:51 PM »
The Final Round
Is going to be an EP round.
1. Maximum of 35 minutes, but I would hiiiighly recommend not going very far above 30. Consider 30 a soft limit and 35 a hard one.
2. Up to 20 points will be given out as an overall measure of song quality. Each song will be scored out of 10. The total score will be a sum of song score divided by relative length; a 10-minute 10-point song in a 30 minute EP would be worth 6.6 points, but a 1-minute 10-point song in a 30 minute Ep would only be worth .66 points.
3. Up to 10 points will be given out as a measure of cohesion and flow. This is where I expect people to trip up the most. The songs don't have to be from the same artist, but they should sound like they belong together. As well, song order is important. Don't put a closer at the start of an EP, for example. I'm aware some songs will have endings that don't segue into other songs well and I won't take that into consideration, but if you find a really cool segue, I'd highly recommend putting those two back to back.
4. 15 minutes max per artist. Any artist on the semi-banned or eligible for re-entry list can be entered in the EP round without the wager attached to it, but anything on the banned or newly banned list is ineligible. The cap on a single song length will be 15 minutes flat, as a result. Again, I highly recommend not putting anything longer than 10 minutes on an EP, though; having one song dominate the entire thing is a big risk itself.
5. Please send EPs as a .zip file of mp3's in the order you want me to listen to them, preferably numbered.

A slight spoiler: Elite 100% needs to start preparing an EP. Everyone else in the top 6 should probably start thinking about what they'd want to send me, too. I will try to have the top three finalized by the time I post round 10 results.
If you have any other questions feel free to ask them, also. Wanna try to make this as easy for everyone as possible  :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #592 on: October 24, 2015, 09:19:43 PM »
did preliminary scores after my third listen just now.

what to expect:
1. no bonus half-points. nobody gets one.
2. one song is a pretty clear standout, a few others might need the extra listens to sink in
3. overall nothing i really dislike that much here, but at the same time a lot in the 7-7.5 range of "okay but doesn't stand out in any real way"
4. the song that feels the most overlong is under 10 minutes, surprisingly

also where is everyone i feel so lonely  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #593 on: October 25, 2015, 02:20:21 AM »
I'm here!

Okay then, this is probably the part where I screw up :lol will think of what to send soon
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #594 on: October 25, 2015, 03:05:28 AM »
At the same time I want and don't want to go in final round. Next two weeks will me crazy for me :lol but whatever, of course I want to win, this is my no.1 priority :P
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...