Author Topic: Parama's Coincidental Roulette! (FINAL RESULTS!)  (Read 54668 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Parama's Coincidental Roulette! (Final Round Listening!)
« Reply #700 on: November 01, 2015, 09:58:46 PM »
This mostly seems to serve as a dose of slow heaviness with a bit of a pulse and a pretty crushing ending.

This has a lot of 70’s influence in it, pretty clearly. The vocals are kinda weird and kind of for the sake of being weird, or it feels that way to me at least.

I like the use of the horns, they add a bit of life into an otherwise kind of sluggish song. Not necessarily a knock against the song that it feels a little slow, though.

I really don’t have much to say, this is nice and pleasant and all but needs more listens.

It’s very pretty music, but it’s not grabbing me in the same way. The swell at the end is pretty good though.

I should probably be paying more attention to the lyrics than I am, they seem to be the focus here. Despite being a bit low in the mix.

There’s not really much else for me to comment on though, the vocals seem to be the focal point here as well as the most interesting, which is fine, but leaves the music feeling a bit… sidelined and kinda generic.

The rest of the band comes in around the halfway point and the song just gets, a hell of a lot more intense, christ, those vocals are giving me serious chills man.

Man, this has one heck of a crushing atmosphere. The vocals are really buried in the mix here but I’m not sure that was a bad choice either, since I feel if they were louder the vocal style would get to me more.

It’s hard to know what to say on first listen because I can very accurate identify this as a grower on my first listen; pleasant enough to listen to but I can tell I’m not really taking it everything in just one listen.

There’s a few short breaks from the intensity and the ending is a lot calmer too, so I don’t think it ends up feeling too much like a constant wall of noise either.

Thus far this seems like pretty standard metal fare, though, some decent riffs, but I’m kinda waiting for it to go somewhere else. It doesn’t seem that interested in doing so, though… :lol

It may suffer from just being a style I’m never too fond of, even if it does that style fairly well and is far from uninteresting.

It doesn’t really feel like it goes much of anywhere at the end though, there’s no climax or even proper ending, just a slow burnout.

I’m sorry but I can’t just ignore that, ugh, why throw one element into a song that turns it from pretty good to borderline obnoxious?

It does pick up a little bit but mostly stays on one sound, which is fine enough but the end result is that the track doesn’t stand out too well on its own.

The subtleties in the back of the mix help build atmosphere, but other than that there’s not much else to talk about musically. The ending’s a bit sudden, I guess, but fits lyrically.

honestly a bit underwhelmed in general on first listen but this could be a set of growers like Round 3 seemed to be so who knows  :lol
amusingly my favorite song of the whole bunch is off what i'd, on first listen, call my least favorite of the three EP's, so that's both bad and good for one of you

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #701 on: November 01, 2015, 10:19:54 PM »
This mostly seems to serve as a dose of slow heaviness with a bit of a pulse and a pretty crushing ending.

It’s very pretty music, but it’s not grabbing me in the same way. The swell at the end is pretty good though.

The rest of the band comes in around the halfway point and the song just gets, a hell of a lot more intense, christ, those vocals are giving me serious chills man.

Man, this has one heck of a crushing atmosphere. The vocals are really buried in the mix here but I’m not sure that was a bad choice either, since I feel if they were louder the vocal style would get to me more.

There’s a few short breaks from the intensity and the ending is a lot calmer too, so I don’t think it ends up feeling too much like a constant wall of noise either.
Pretty sure these are mine  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #702 on: November 01, 2015, 10:44:56 PM »
i'll be a dirty tease and say only one of those is yours  :lol
but you don't know which one, nor for which song  :hat

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #703 on: November 01, 2015, 11:27:29 PM »
Those descriptions are far too vagie for me to tell which one could be mine.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #704 on: November 01, 2015, 11:47:59 PM »
yeah, you've got the idea  :tup

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #705 on: November 02, 2015, 04:54:05 AM »
I never comment on these because I never have any idea.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #706 on: November 03, 2015, 07:13:18 AM »
More teasers?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #707 on: November 03, 2015, 11:00:25 AM »
well i'm only through them all twice, yet  :lol
i may do my next listen as all the songs by themselves because i do need to be able to take the songs outside the context of their EP's and a listen like that should give me pretty solid starting ratings for all the individual songs, but i don't have any scores in mind or much to tease you with yet

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #708 on: November 03, 2015, 12:47:21 PM »
sorry this round is gonna be super long btw i'm trying to stave off musical burnout a little :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #709 on: November 03, 2015, 11:59:38 PM »
i did a third listen standard-roulette style. 90 minutes straight heck yeah. i think there's enough diversity that i can listen this way just fine though.
so i'm gonna be a tease and post my preliminary scores. these are fairly conservative so expect these to mostly go up, rather than down, but there's like one or two that could get worse.

i will also state for the record that one of the songs this time is possibly my least favorite of the entire roulette even though it's not going to end up with an awful score, but i'll explain that later.

anyways here's the things. these are all scores without the bonus half-points.

6.5 - 6.5 - 7 - 7 - 7.5 - 7.5 - 7.5 - 8 - 8 - 8 - 8 - 8 - 8.5 - 8.5 - 8.5 - 8.5 - 9

i have a good idea of who is going to end up winning this whole thing, at this point, but that won't be set in stone until i do final scores and tally up the points. i haven't done the "EP Score" 10 points yet, which is going to cover flow, cohesion, song order, and everything else that isn't direct scoring itself, so that could throw a wrench in things too

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #710 on: November 04, 2015, 12:13:15 AM »
Well, that's interesting.
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #711 on: November 04, 2015, 12:29:26 AM »
i wonder what's so interesting?

on an unrelated note i am really digging that Lesoir album. Battle's one of the better tracks but A Lady Named Bright, Press Play From Start, My Perfect Self, Flawless Chemistry, and ESPECIALLY the title track are all great too. Man. The title track uses samples in a way I like, too, haha. Good stuff.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 12:42:46 AM by Parama »

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #712 on: November 04, 2015, 01:16:56 AM »
Especially the part about you least favourite song in the roulette being in this last round. I wonder who sent that track and I also wonder why it still scores (at least) a 6.5.

And glad you like that Lesoir album, I agree with you that the second half is better than the firsr, but Battle is a great opener.
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #713 on: November 04, 2015, 08:59:18 AM »
I’m sorry but I can’t just ignore that, ugh, why throw one element into a song that turns it from pretty good to borderline obnoxious?

it's this one btw because nothing is sadder than lost potential
songs like the Slint one and the AAL i don't think ever had potential to begin with IMO  :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #714 on: November 04, 2015, 09:07:47 AM »
I really want to hear that awful song now!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #715 on: November 04, 2015, 12:08:02 PM »
Is it the third track on my EP? If there's any song on my EP that could fit with that qoute, it would be that one.
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #716 on: November 04, 2015, 12:14:13 PM »
i can see why you'd think that, yes. it could be that track. or maybe not.
i'm getting better at mentally phasing out what was giving me problems in that specific track though, now that i've heard it a few times, so maybe my mind will have changed by the final write-up. i'm gonna try and go through all the EP's once today and then do write-ups tomorrow  :tup

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #717 on: November 04, 2015, 12:33:32 PM »
But to be honest, I don't think it is. The second 'tidbit' seems perfect for that particular track.
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #718 on: November 04, 2015, 10:04:45 PM »
what's the story/concept of Mantiis exactly btw I read through the lyrics booklet but I don't get it  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #719 on: November 04, 2015, 11:15:17 PM »
other things:
i figured out a kinda arbitrary scoring for the EP, out of 10 for cohesion, out of 5 for flow, out of 5 for track ordering (last two are similar-ish but i feel needed to be rated separately) then cut that score in half for the 10 EP points total
after fourth listen, the three EP scores are 7.5, 7.5, and 8.5
so y'all did pretty good on that front, i have a feeling it will come down more to the songs than the EP score in the end

ALSO. if there somehow manages to be a tie for first place in the EP round, the tiebreaker will be the results of the main roulette, so if Elite ties with someone, he wins, if seneca ties with Sacul, seneca wins, and Sacul is a little screwed if there happens to be a tie. I haven't actually added up scores yet and am not going to until I have all final scores done and ready to post because i actually dunno who's gonna win at this point and i want it to be a surprise to myself too  :lol

nuggetz: seneca's EP is 1912 seconds long

edit: okaaaay i lied because i was super curious and i added up the points and there's totally time for me to change my opinion on some of these songs a little, but... it's a close one  :tup
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 11:43:24 PM by Parama »

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #720 on: November 05, 2015, 12:09:52 AM »
what's the story/concept of Mantiis exactly btw I read through the lyrics booklet but I don't get it  :lol

I have no idea to be honest, but reading through the lyrics it's quite messed up. That's what the singer (who's an awesome dude by the way) also said on stage: "we sing songs about really fucked up stuff". I might be reading into it too much, but I think it's about the kidnapping and abuse of a child. The song titles 'Not Yet Five' and the lyrics of the last two songs contribute to this idea. There's also some necrophily in there I think, just read the lyrics to 'Fingers in Anguish'. It's quite messed up and it helps with the unsettling nature of the album. As far as I know, the band has never released an official statement on what the album is about, but from what I can gather from the lyrics, it is indeed some fucked up stuff.

I can't make more out of the artwork either; the vinyl EP has lots of pictures of bugs along with some very strange lines of text that aren't in the actual lyrics. It's certainly a unique album.
Squ

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #721 on: November 05, 2015, 05:05:39 AM »
Looking forward to it!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #722 on: November 05, 2015, 12:04:12 PM »
get hype, i finished the writeups for the first EP

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Parama's Coincidental Roulette! (FINAL RESULTS.... soon)
« Reply #723 on: November 05, 2015, 01:37:45 PM »
:soon:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #724 on: November 05, 2015, 02:34:33 PM »
Okay, bring it.
Squ

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #725 on: November 05, 2015, 02:45:36 PM »
:caffeine:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #726 on: November 05, 2015, 02:51:48 PM »
gimme like an hour

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #727 on: November 05, 2015, 03:17:47 PM »
no

okay.
Squ

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #728 on: November 05, 2015, 03:38:41 PM »
:caffeine:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #729 on: November 05, 2015, 03:40:48 PM »
like at literally the last second i realized i should include judging variety in my EP score and that slightly affected individual scores but did not end up affecting the overall ranking, tho it made results super duper extraordinarily close  :lol

but technically I'm basically done now. i know who wins, with absolute certainty.

be back in 24 hours, suckers  :biggrin:

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #730 on: November 05, 2015, 03:41:23 PM »
ok, bye!
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #731 on: November 05, 2015, 03:47:29 PM »
senecadawg2’s EP

Ludovico Einaudi – Uno

First Impressions: There’s a nice slow build at the start, synth swell and light piano coming in. It does pick up a little bit but mostly stays on one sound, which is fine enough but the end result is that the track doesn’t stand out too well on its own. This is definitely effective as an opening track, though. I can tell you submitted this more as an album opener than anything else, though.

Final Thoughts: Yeah, this ended up not doing too much for me. It’s pleasant enough music, but beyond that not that memorable and rather one-note. It works as an EP opener just fine, though. But on its own it’s just a nice but fairly unmemorable piano-driven instrumental. I really don’t have much else to say about this, sorry!

Score: 6.5 (+.5 Bonus) = 7/10 (11.87%)

Sarah Fimm – Velocity

First Impressions: She has a pretty nice voice, though it doesn’t particularly stand out to me, sounds like a lot of similar singers doing similar stuff. Granted, uniqueness isn’t always the best thing either. The instrumentation has a lot of subtleties to it and it’s plenty dynamic enough, always matches with the level of the vocals. As far as softer pop songs go this is pretty good, really. It doesn’t really feel like it goes much of anywhere at the end though, there’s no climax or even proper ending, just a slow burnout.

Final Thoughts: Yeah, her voice is what I have the most gripes with here. On one hand she can sing technically well and there’s enough emotion in her voice. On the other hand, her voice is just… really generic, as far as female pop singers go. I wouldn’t be able to pick her out from a lot of similar artists. It’s not necessarily a problem to have a fairly generic singing voice as long as you sing well, though, and she passes on that front.

The instrumentation is plenty atmospheric and pretty dynamic, it does a good job providing a backdrop for the vocals. On its own, I don’t know how much I’d care to listen it, but for a pop song something like this is totally serviceable and fairly enjoyable. The ending really does go nowhere though, it doesn’t feel like this song ends up having a climax at all, really.

Pop isn’t exactly my favorite of genres but this is a pretty good example of the genre, if not a tad generic on the whole. But yeah, may check out more of her stuff in the future.

Score: 7.5 (+.5 Bonus) = 8/10 (14.38%)

The Antlers – Parade

First Impressions: I’ve probably heard something from the Antlers before, knew someone who was pretty big on them and they’ve likely been submitted the other site I frequent for music-related stuff. I like the use of the horns, they add a bit of life into an otherwise kind of sluggish song. Not necessarily a knock against the song that it feels a little slow, though. Vocals are fine enough, the instrumentation creates a pretty full sound too which I always like. And it definitely feels like it gets more intense as the song goes on.

Final Thoughts: The vocal melodies on this feel really familiar, are they a sample from something else? They may not be and I’m just crazy, who knows. Anyways, the vocals are pretty good, they sound very indie-rock but at the same time I can’t say I’ve heard another voice quite like the singer’s, so it remains enjoyable to listen to. I can tell he’s not the best of singers but he’s singing emotionally enough.

The horns are probably my favorite part of the instrumentation here, they add some swell to the bigger moments of the song, they feel like they’re mainly there just for volume, but the vocals always get more intense when they come in. The guitars and drums and synths and whatever else are all pleasant too though they stay pretty firmly in the background for most of the song, either the singer is drowning them out or the horns are. They do end up feeling a bit sidelined though.

This isn’t exactly making me want to run out and check out more stuff from The Antlers but it’s a pleasant piece of slower indie rock and I’m not worse off for having listened to it, it’s alright!

Score: 7.5/10 (16.32%)

The National – Slow Show

First Impressions: A name with “slow” in the title after three other relatively slow songs isn’t exactly what I was hoping for at this point, but it turns out it’s the most upbeat song thus far :lol Liking that deep voice, it’s a good change of pace from what the usual indie rock in this style tends to use, makes it stand out. There’s not really much else for me to comment on though, the vocals seem to be the focal point here as well as the most interesting, which is fine, but leaves the music feeling a bit… sidelined and kinda generic.

Final Thoughts: The lower vocals here are very much what makes this song stand out, I quite like this singer’s voice. Deeper voices always sound a bit classier and smoother, which is funny here especially because I’m pretty sure this song is about being insecure and feeling dumb or something :lol

The drums do a decent job of changing up the basic rhythm at points and keeping the song musically interesting, which is good since, aside from them, and the piano-driven bridge/outro, this song isn’t really that musically special, the instruments are very clearly just a backdrop for the vocal lines. And vocal-centric rock isn’t necessarily a bad thing, especially when the vocalist is pretty interesting on their own anyways.

Overall, I don’t know how well this song will stick with me, aside from the vocals, but it’s again a pretty nice listen, if not an immensely enjoyable one.

Score: 7.5/10 (13.08%)

Glen Hansard – Bird of Sorrow

First Impressions: I can tell right off the bat this is going to be a more emotional and evocative track, light piano melodies and somewhat strained vocals pretty much indicate that. Which is something I generally like a lot. The strings coming in right as the vocals get more intense creates a nice swell. The rest of the band comes in around the halfway point and the song just gets, a hell of a lot more intense, christ, those vocals are giving me serious chills man. The Sufjan song better be damn good because this is gonna be hard to top, this feels like one heck of an album closer, haha.

Final Thoughts: Again, he doesn’t sound like the most technically proficient of singers. On the other hand, god damn, this is just pure singing from the heart, and that’s going to win over a technically perfect but soulless vocal performance any day. Really, the biggest gripe I have with this song is that some of the vocal lines just have an awkward/clunky flow to them, too many words being said too fast or something.

The piano serves as a nice backdrop for the quieter moments, playing relatively standard stuff, sure, but that just lets you direct more attention towards the vocal performance that really is the main attraction here. And the strings come in for the swell of the chorus, giving it more weight.

And then, when the full band starts coming in at the second chorus, and the song just gets a hell of a lot more intense… yeah, this part of the song has unfailingly given me chills. The vocals, man. Just raw emotion. I wouldn’t ask for any other singer for this song, Hansard just nails it. If I can nitpick for a second, though, it almost feels like the instrumentation doesn’t quite get big enough to match the vocals.

The slow denouement of the outro as a bit of a cooldown is nice, too, though the way the song transitions from the loud parts to the cooldown feels a little clumsy and sudden. Not a huge problem or anything though.

As a whole, this is another one of those great piano ballads crammed with emotion, and that always seems to do pretty well in my book. Can’t complain. Loving it.

Score: 9.5 (+.5 Bonus) = 10/10 (18.31%)

Damien Rice – 9 Crimes

First Impressions: I thought this name sounded familiar and yeah I’m preeetty sure I’ve heard this before but I’ll let it slide because I don’t remember it anyways. I think this is pretty nice but the vocalists aren’t as powerful here and it’s reeeeally overshadowed by the song before this one. Both have the same piano-driven ballad feel with a vocal focus and some nice strings, though. It’s very pretty music, but it’s not grabbing me in the same way. The swell at the end is pretty good though.

Final Thoughts: So the first time, this song just got completely overshadowed by Glen Hansard. Maybe it’s because that was a song I immediately loved, whereas this song has just been one heck of a grower.

Both singers show plenty of emotion both in the softer moments and the louder swell at the end. It’s a very quiet song as a whole, a very pained song, driven almost purely by emotions. The string swell for the climax of the song with both singers singing over each other is just… another moment of chills, man.

I still do think this ends up overshadowed a little by the song preceding it in the end, but at the same time it’s still a damn fine track on its own, and a tad more succinct.

Score: 9 (+.5 Bonus) = 9.5/10 (11.45%)

Sufjan Stevens – Fourth of July

First Impressions: This has a bit more of a pulse than the last two, fortunately. The rather bright piano and Sufjan’s vocals have an underlying melancholy to it, which the lyrics themselves seem to make evident. I think I have to focus on the lyrics here the most, and while I’m not getting the full story here on my first listen, I at least get pieces of it. The subtleties in the back of the mix help build atmosphere, but other than that there’s not much else to talk about musically. The ending’s a bit sudden, I guess, but fits lyrically.

Final Thoughts: Alright, I get why the lyrics have a lot of the cheesy name-calling going, this is just a really intimate song. I almost feel bad listening to it, like I’m peering into someone’s private life that I have no place actually seeing. I dunno, it’s just, too personal for me, almost.

The dark tone of the song as contrasted with the rather bright piano sound does work pretty well, I feel. The music is a backdrop for the vocals here, again, though there’s enough atmosphere to it in the end.

I dunno. Talking about this feels wrong, I’m sorry, haha. I really do like this song, but there’s not a lot for me to say about it. By the time it comes around I’m a little emotionally spent from the two songs before it, too.

Score: 8.5 (+.5 Bonus) = 9/10 (14.59%)

Overall Song Score: 17/20

EP Score

First Impressions: The first track is an effective intro track that carries the same mood of the rest of the EP while not overshadowing the others. I understand why, thematically, the Sufjan song is at the end, though all things considered I’d have at least put Glen Hansard after the Damien Rice song, if not at the end. As far as cohesion goes, though, the songs are all pretty soft and focused on atmosphere, so they do feel like they belong together on that front. At the same time, it’s a little one-note, especially since there’s only one track that really picks up the tempo at all, and the last three songs all being completely piano-driven makes them blend a little; I already can’t really remember what the Damien Rice song sounds like, being the weakest of the three. We’ll see how my thoughts on this develop over time, though, this could easily change.

Final Thoughts: I think you picked your opener and closer perfectly. The rest of the track order I’d probably have changed up a little. I dunno, having the two indie rock songs in a row followed by the three piano ballads in a row doesn’t benefit any of them on their own, there’s too high a risk of one of them overshadowing the other by direct proximity (which did end up happening in the case of Damien Rice on my first listen, which is really unfortunate since that ended up being one of my favorites.)

As far as flow goes, though, there’s no sudden shifts of mood or anything and the songs do flow into each other pretty well, probably because they’re all pretty soft songs to begin with. I can’t say there’s really any issues on that front at all. Cohesion is also strong as a result. The only song that feels a little out of place is the Sarah Fimm track, being very electronic and poppy (and being the only purely female-driven track too) but it’s only a little out of place, it still fits in with the relative softness of the EP. At the same time, I’m glad there’s a little something different in with the rest, because this may be a little too cohesive to the point where songs can blur in my mind – again, Damien Rice. As well, having the three piano ballads makes the piano intro track carry even less weight, though it’s far separated from the others in terms of track order.

Overall, as far as an EP goes, this is pretty well organized; the only track that feels like it’s there for the sake of the EP itself is the opener, the rest all stand on their own pretty well. I would have liked maybe a little more variety, but at the same time cutting any one of the three great piano ballads would’ve been a sad loss, haha.

Cohesion: 5/5
Variety: 3/5
Flow: 5/5
Track Order: 3/5
EP Score: 8/10

Final Score: 25/30

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #732 on: November 05, 2015, 03:48:39 PM »
Elite’s EP

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Up Jumped The Devil

First Impressions: Starting off with a cool bass groove is never a bad way to begin. Can’t say I’m huge on this style of vocals but they’re not bad or anything either. There’s really not anything bad I can say about this, but at the same time it’s not doing a lot for me. It may suffer from just being a style I’m never too fond of, even if it does that style fairly well and is far from uninteresting. Maybe a bit too long though, it does get a bit stale by the end.

Final Thoughts: Yeah, this is just, unfortunately, a style of music I don’t care for at all. I have a friend who would love this (or probably already listens to them) but for me it’s never done anything and I dunno if it ever will. I don’t even know what genre to call this either aahh. It sounds almost like some kind of showtune really.

It’s got a dark tone to it but it’s not dark in a way that’s really enjoyable to me. The instrumentation is pretty unique, but not something that I really care for. The vocal style is interesting and kind of big, but not hooking me in any way.

And the lyrics are pretty good, but a song will never carry on lyrics alone for me, they can make a good song great, they can make a great song mediocre, they can make a bad song worse, but they will never make a decent song great.

It’s a shame that I don’t like this more, but ehh, just not doing it for me.

Score: 6.5 (+.5 Bonus) = 7/10 (19.31%)

Ben Folds Five – One Angry Dwarf And 200 Solemn Faces

First Impressions: I have heard at least a few songs from Ben Folds before and generally liked them. This is a pretty fun, upbeat track with some bright piano. I should probably be paying more attention to the lyrics than I am, they seem to be the focus here. Despite being a bit low in the mix. Oh man, piano solo is pretty great. Ben Folds is the pianist, right? I think he is. I’m not sure though, I’ll look it up later. Pretty interesting outro too.

Final Thoughts: This is what every “diss track” should sound like honestly, it’s absolutely hilarious and just plain fun but quite on-point and can cover a general crowd rather than being applied specifically to a beef between two people.

Honestly I think this is what you should’ve started the EP with, it’s got a great intro for starting an album, and it’s just so fun to listen to, haha. Ben Folds is a good singer and his tone just matches the lyrics perfectly, plus he’s just absolutely tearing it up on the piano without overplaying.

The other instruments, especially the bass and drums, both do a great job at keeping the energy of the track and adding a ton of groove too, they provide a solid backbone to the song.

Not much else to say, except that I did indeed like this one.

Score: 9 (+.5 Bonus) = 9.5/10 (14.00%)

Beardfish – South Of The Border

First Impressions: I vaguely recognize this name as “some prog band” but that’s all I know. That intro has a ton of groove, haha. This has a lot of 70’s influence in it, pretty clearly. The vocals are kinda weird and kind of for the sake of being weird, or it feels that way to me at least. I think the closest reference point to anything else I listen to is Transatlantic, I get the same vibe from these guys as I get from them. That instrumental break is… something. I dunno, I didn’t get much from it, at all. And I kinda don’t like the lyrics at all. Wacky goofy lyrics are just not my thing, sorry :lol

Final Thoughts: Agh. Okay. So when I talk about lyrics taking a good song down to a mediocre one, here you go. Several things. First, right out of the gate. Songs that tell a very straight narrative end up having little relisten value to me because they place too much emphasis on the narrative and once you’ve heard it once or twice that’s basically it, no need to keep rereading a book, no need to keep relistening to a story-song.

On top of that, this is like, not a story I dig at all. I am not for sexual stuff and I’ve said this many times before, plus I am preeetty sure this isn’t how homosexuality works to begin with, you don’t have sex with a dude once and suddenly realize you’re gay. I can’t speak from experience but I do know some gay peeps and none of them were all “suddenly I’m gay” or anything so. Meh.

And then there’s the point where everything cuts out just to let a dumb, cheesy line be sung with an excess of fanfare and, ugh. Freak Machine did the same thing way back at the start of the roulette and probably lost a half-point for that moment alone.

Okay, let’s talk about something else. Uhh. The 70’s vibe is done pretty well. The guitar lines have a ton of groove to them. The singing is mostly fine except for whenever he tries to voice other characters, where he just gets annoying. The instrumental break really just… happens, it feels unnecessary.

The wacky goofy part where the story comes to a head is musically not for me, though, at all. It fits the lyrics, but yeah, I don’t like the lyrics, or the goofy voices, or anything about this section, blah.

The fact that this song is so firmly rooted in its lyrics and story is very definitely what drags it down for me, since while the music is pretty decent, not amazing or anything but pretty solid for the most part, the lyrics are given the focus though and because of them I’m never gonna want to listen to this again. I have to say, the ending provides a great transition into the next track though.

Score: 6.5/10 (27.94%)

The Fall Of Troy – Chapter IV: Enter The Black Demon

First Impressions: I have been meaning to check out more from The Fall of Troy, know one song from guitar hero but never really looked too deeper into them, which is weird since they’re a mathcore-y kind of band that I can actually listen to and enjoy. This is almost a bit too noisy but it’s not unpleasant. The tempo change is handled pretty well, and I quite dig the first section after the tempo change too. There’s a few short breaks from the intensity and the ending is a lot calmer too, so I don’t think it ends up feeling too much like a constant wall of noise either. Yeah, I can get on board with this.

Final Thoughts: Okay, yeah, I loooove the vibe of this song though. I have definitely gotta check out some Fall of Troy. They do a good job at crafting noodly guitar lines that have a strong hook to them, that opening intro line is great. And the music is frantic and complex, but not like, crazy complex to the point where you can barely follow it.

And the fact that they have cooldown moments and a tempo shift halfway through really prevents it from feeling anywhere close to monotonous. It’s got a good deal of song diversity in most every factor, both heavy riffs and noodly guitar lines, high vocals and harsh vocals, intensity and groove. But it sounds like one song, not just a collection ideas.

On the same note, there’s not really any one part of the song that stands out among the rest, it’s just an enjoyable ride the whole way through. I enjoy this quite a lot.

Score: 8.5/10 (20.28%)

Arcturus – The Arcturian Sign

First Impressions: Huh. A synthy intro like this isn’t exactly what I expected someone to send to me but it gives way to a nice heavy riff soon enough. Man, this has one heck of a crushing atmosphere. The vocals are really buried in the mix here but I’m not sure that was a bad choice either, since I feel if they were louder the vocal style would get to me more. This has some black metal vibes to it, even, it’s pretty interesting.

Final Thoughts: An electronic intro like this song has is just, the weirdest thing, yo. It doesn’t even fit in with the rest of the song, which is like somewhere between power metal and black metal, I think? Not that the intro is bad, just, weird…

The heaviness and fullness of the sound of this song is its biggest strength, it’s just got crushing atmosphere at its heavier moments, guitars and strings and drums and bass all working together to be heavy. The vocals are probably the weak point here for me, both the cleans and growls are alright but not outstanding.

It also can end up feeling just a little one-note, aside from the synthy intro. It’s a pretty solid wall of noise, not too heavy to be exhausting, but still a bit lacking in dynamics. The blastbeat sections I guess make it a little heavier than the standard level it stays at, they’re not used excessively so I have no problem with them.

Mmm. Hard to know what to rate this one, really, I’m pingponging between two numbers so I’m gonna give you the benefit of the doubt here and pick the higher one.

Score: 8.5/10 (18.47%)

Overall Song Score: 15.5/20

EP Score

First Impressions: Yeah, I definitely see what you were going for in regards to light to heavy flow. I actually didn’t remember that when I started listening but around the fourth track I went and looked at your notes  because I was noticing it pretty clearly and yep you even said it yourself. As far as flow goes I think you’ve pretty well hit the nail on the head here. Cohesion, on the other hand. Hmm. The Nick Cave and Ben Folds songs both fit together pretty well, as do the Fall of Troy and Arcturus songs. The Beardfish track sits a bit in the middle as this goofy 70’s prog-inspired thing though that I guess kiiiind of carries the lighter vibe of the Ben Folds track over. I get that it’s really hard to go from light to heavy without having some drastic genre changes going on, though :lol

Final Thoughts: Aside from maybe switching Ben Folds and Nick Cave around I think the track order here is good, and the flow is good as well, the light-to-heavy vibe is pretty solidly done. If there’s anything to complain about on this front it’s that the ending of the Fall of Troy song is a bit abrupt, but that’s a nitpick.

The biggest problem this has is cohesion, for sure. I can kinda see some of the ties. Nick Cave and Ben Folds both have a heavy piano drive to them but otherwise they aren’t that similar. Ben Folds and Beardfish are both upbeat and a little silly, but don’t share really anything else in common. Beardfish to The Fall of Troy only works because of the transition but other than that it’s a really sudden genre shift. The Fall of Troy and Arcturus both have a heaviness to them and both clean and harsh vocal styles so they fit together pretty well though.

Like I said before it’s pretty hard to go from light to heavy and stay really cohesive, but I gotta say that this ends up sounding like a collection of mostly unrelated songs arranged in a way that makes them flow well.

This EP is also pretty split down the middle between “stuff that I don’t care for that much” and “stuff that’s really pretty great” unfortunately. But as a whole I do like this EP though, at least, though I wish I could like it more.

Cohesion: 3/5
Variety: 5/5
Flow: 5/5
Track Order: 4/5
EP Score: 8.5/10

Final Score: 24/30

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #733 on: November 05, 2015, 03:48:49 PM »
Sacul’s EP

Converge – Phoenix in Flight

First Impressions: Okay, this is a lot slower than the stuff I listened to from these guys before. The vocals are just buried under the crushing chords but, I think that works just fine. I dunno how I feel about this as an album opener though, it’s just BOOM HEAVY RIFF. It takes a while to go anywhere past the first riff but I don’t get tired of that riff, at least. This mostly seems to serve as a dose of slow heaviness with a bit of a pulse and a pretty crushing ending. Amusingly this is playing more to the side of me that’s been liking drone metal a lot recently, this is a bit more upbeat and fleshed out than a lot of that but still hits in a very heavy way.

Final Thoughts: I have no clue what the lyrics to this song are. Who cares, who needs them, you can barely hear the vocals anyways, they might as well not be there. What I definitely can hear are the crushingly heavy chords of the guitar and the sluggish drums. Honestly what this reminds me of the most is Thrice’s The Flame Deluge, though with less of a melody running through it and more just heaviness.

There really isn’t much else to say about this though, it’s just… heavy music. I like heavy music. I like this. But it sounds more like part of a song than a full one, in the end, I guess. A slow build to something heavier. I dunno what it leads into on the album it’s from. It does transition nicely to the second track on this EP well though, definitely.

Score: 8/10 (12.45%)

Ruined Machines – Karma in Remission

First Impressions: Wow, you actually got a pretty good transition going there from the previous track to this one. Thus far this seems like pretty standard metal fare, though, some decent riffs, but I’m kinda waiting for it to go somewhere else. It doesn’t seem that interested in doing so, though… :lol Not that that’s a point against it, it’s pretty solid instrumental metal. I’m finding it hard to have much to say about this, though. The cleaner bits near the end are a nice change of pace, I guess?

Final Thoughts: I really like the intro to this song, it’s a nice use of synths and has a fair bit of atmosphere to it. If the whole song built off that I would probably dig it a ton.

But… the rest of the song is content to just do fairly standard metal stuff. The chuggy riff is alright but not that engaging as a centerpiece. The other riffs try to have atmosphere to them but don’t end up sounding full enough or engaging enough. This actually ends up sounding a little tedious by the halfway point, so I’m glad the last bit of the song is lighter, clean stuff that stands out a little.

Even then, I have nothing to really say about the lighter parts of the song, either. They’re alright. But… nothing special. Blah. It’s a shame that this song starts out so strong and then doesn’t really go anywhere else after that start.

Score: 7.5/10 (21.86%)

Dead Can Dance – Amnesia

First Impressions: Yeah it seems like you wanted some smooth transitions between tracks, that’s fine. This is the first song on your EP with audible vocals, haha. Honestly, this is a pretty chill song with decent atmosphere, except for that synth bleep thing? What’s up with that, it really takes me out of the song and it’s pretty constant throughout. There’s some nice symphonic swell around the halfway point that I’m really digging. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. I’m sorry but I can’t just ignore that, ugh, why throw one element into a song that turns it from pretty good to borderline obnoxious? I mean, it wouldn’t be a standout track, but a pretty solid one, but. I feel like this song is going to give me a headache on future listens. I think the vocals are nice and fit the music, and the heavy orchestration gives the song a lot of power, though the flat drumbeat could’ve probably taken out too and improved this one honestly.

Final Thoughts: BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. It’s back in full force now that I am absolutely not dividing my attention between the song and anything else and it’s already grating. Sigh. This could’ve been so good! Lots of orchestration and a thick atmosphere, a nice deep voice with some well-used reverb, some good swells, some pretty on-point lyrics. Everything works well.

Except. That. Goddamn. Beeping. Noise. I dunno if it’s a synth or some instrument or something but whatever it is pisses me off. Every time I listened to the EP I always dreaded this song starting up because I knew my ears were going to be assaulted with over 5 minutes of this obnoxious beeping noise mixed into an otherwise good song. It’s way too loud to phase out and it’s just an unpleasant sound that I would rather do without hearing.

I just can’t get into this song at all and it’s entirely because of one element of the song that refuses to go away. If there was a version of this song without that constant beeping this would’ve gotten probably an 8 or 8.5, maybe even higher. I honestly wouldn’t know though, because that’s not what I was given.

It’s just really disappointing. It’s even weirder that the beeping abruptly goes away in the last minute, leaving the last minute to be really pretty great and the rest of the song to be an exercise in frustration. I’m trying to be fair in this ranking and even this feels too high, but anything else feels like I’m not giving enough credit to the parts of the song I do like, so.

Score: 6.5 (+.5 Bonus) = 7/10 (22.08%)

Gazpacho – I’ve Been Walking

First Impressions: From the intro, I was hoping this wouldn’t be another downbeat chill song. Fortunately, soon enough it goes back towards heavier stuff so I can stop worrying. This goes plenty of places pretty quickly, actually, which I’m totally okay with. Variety keeps me on my toes. It’s hard to know what to say on first listen because I can very accurate identify this as a grower on my first listen; pleasant enough to listen to but I can tell I’m not really taking it everything in just one listen. It’s like…. 10 minutes of music that just “happens”, at least on first listen.

Final Thoughts: Yeah, this is a bit much for me to take in and judge in only five listens, I feel, but what I do get from it I do like. The vocalist has a very prog-sounding voice, is the only way I can describe it, but I like it.

The music itself, it goes a lot of places. Some rock riffs, a lot of strings, some twinkly transitions between segments of the songs, a great buildup near the end and an extended softer outro. It’s not really anything I haven’t heard before, but it’s all done well, if not especially originally. There’s nothing wrong with being “solid” though, not at all. Though aside from the length and the general song structure there really isn’t that much proggy about this either, which is also completely fine, I don’t demand all my music to be crazy prog stuff anyways.

It’s hard for me to rate this one because I enjoy it when it’s on but then don’t remember much of it when it ends. I enjoy this. I’m again torn between two scores and I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt here, as well, but this is on the low end of its score.

Score: 8.5/10 (32.25%)

Sufjan Stevens – John Wayne Gacy, Jr.

First Impressions: The other Sufjan song, woo. Both of you chose melancholic, light songs to close things off, apparently. Sufjan is, again, a good singer, and this is pretty nice. Probably need to look up the lyrics. I really don’t have much to say, this is nice and pleasant and all but needs more listens. Which is the same for all the EP songs, honestly, I feel like there are a lot of growers here :lol

Final Thoughts: So yeah apparently this is about a serial killer, which made for some ~fun~ reading material let me tell you. That’s the second Sufjan song here that has a kind of bright sound to it but far from bright lyrics. Sufjan remains a good singer and the song is pleasant to listen to even with the lyrics, and the lyrics are really pretty good, I like them better than Fourth of July even if they’re mostly narrative aside from the last passage.

As far as it goes musically, it’s a bit minimal, acoustic guitar and piano. It fits. Again creates a bit of a contrast between lyrical themes and musical sound but that’s a kind of contrast I like. If I have to compare this to Fourth of July, I’d say I vaguely like the other better mostly for the instrumentation? But they’re both good songs I like a fair bit, definitely convinced me to check out more from Sufjan soon :lol

Score: 8.5 (+.5 Bonus) = 9/10 (11.36%)

Overall Song Score: 16/20

EP Score

First Impressions: As opposed to Elite’s, this one mostly seems to get less heavy as it progresses, rather than heavier. You also have some transitions between tracks, though that seems to stop occurring after the third track, oh well. The tracks flow into each other pretty well regardless, the lighter ending of Ruined Machines flows into the softer Dead Can Dance track, and Gazpacho has its lightest moments at the start and end to transition out of Dead Can Dance and into Sufjan pretty smoothly. And again Sufjan as an album closer works well. It does feel a bit too frontloaded in terms of heaviness, I think gradual build works a lot better than gradual decline as a concept, but at the same time the songs feel like they fit together a bit better than on Elite’s, though not as well as seneca’s.

Final Thoughts: The strongest point of the flow here is the transition between songs, two of them end up working out pretty well and the other two are empty-space transitions that are just fine. Each song seems to be generally lighter than the previous one except maybe Dead Can Dance and Gazpacho, but I highly prefer the track ordering this way than swapping those around. I really would say the track order is perfect here, and flow is pretty strong too.

As far as cohesion goes, it’s again a bit of a mixed bag. A lot of the songs are guitar-driven, except Dead Can Dance, which has strings and orchestra and stuff that Gazpacho also has. It feels a bit less genre-hopping than Elite’s EP, but still not incredibly cohesive. Solid on this front though, while maintaining a decent level of variety, all the songs stand out on their own.

I think the concept of “heavy to soft” does end up not working quite as well as “soft to heavy” but both of them produced interesting results and I got some good songs out of your EP so I’m not complaining.

Cohesion: 3/5
Variety: 5/5
Flow: 4/5
Track Order: 5/5
EP Score: 8.5/10

Final Score: 24.5/30

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #734 on: November 05, 2015, 03:48:55 PM »
That means, this roulette’s winner is…
senecadawg2!

Thanks to everyone for playing, it’ll probably be a long while before I do another one of these :lol

I’ll probably have some wrapup posts later tonight or sometime tomorrow since I have more to say but also need to stop writing this word document is 14 pages long.