Author Topic: Are any of your favourite bands from your teens/youth still your favourites now?  (Read 3562 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Had she notice that One Direction's Midnight Memories sounds oddly familiar to Def Leppard's Pour Some Sugar on Me?

Yup, because I'm a dick and I sing "Pour some sugar on me!!!" while the band sings "Midnight Memories!"   I also sing David Bowie to "Night Changes". 

To her credit, though, she has an open mind, and she likes Def Leppard now.  I took her to see the Leppard/Kiss show last August, and after Leppard she turned to me and said "that was the coolest thing I ever saw" because the musicianship just blew her away.  'Course, the spectacle of Kiss smoked that by about the fourth song.  Didn't hurt that Paul Stanley flew right over her head.  The next morning she posted an Instagram photo of the stage exploding during RnR All Night, with the caption "Greatest night of my life".   

(Having said all that, this is not to bag on 1D; I actually LOVE that song "Fool's Gold" and "Once In A Lifetime" is probably now on my list of top 20 pop songs of all time).

Offline SoundscapeMN

Marillion became my favorite band around 1995 or 1996 (I 1st heard them in '95), and they are still today.

I'd say the same with Fates Warning to an extent, and Rush to a lesser extent, as I got into them when I was about 15 or 16, and I still consider them a favorite, although not my favorite band overall as I did when I was that age.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
For me Rush.  I got in 1981 a cassette with Moving Pictures on one side and Sanatana's, Zeboop on the other.  I loved Rush then and still do till this day.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I still listen to all my favorite bands from my youth. Maybe not as much anymore, but I haven't "grown out of them."

Offline Cruithne

Queen - No. I still like Queen, but they've not been a favourite for a long time.

Extreme - No. They put out Waiting For The Punchline (has its moments, but not many) and more recently the lamentable Sausages of Rock (one decent song).

The Wildhearts - Absolutely. Not quite as much of a favourite as they were at the time, but definitely still a favourite. It's just a shame they continue to be dysfunctional as a band since Ginger's non-Wildhearts output can be a bit limp wristed at times.

Metallica - No. At one time I could play my way through at least the rhythm guitars for Ride The Lightning, most of Master Of Puppets and significant portions of AJFA, Kill 'Em All and TBA. Nowadays they bore me half to death. Plus, the more I found out about Hetfield the less I liked him, Newsted quit (and every time I see Trujillo I see him in Suicidal Tendencies garb and feel like he's out of place in Metallica) and I've long since got over Hammett as a lead guitarist.

Megadeth - Yes. Post-Marty albums have been variable in quality (I don't own Supercollider...), but I still love everything up to and including Risk and there's still been some great material since then.

Def Leppard - 50/50. No Steve Clark, no consistently high quality material, but Clark wasn't the be-all and end-all of DL (he was just the secret sauce that made them special) and I continue to enjoy the majority of their output, when they can be bothered. It's just a shame that when he takes on early Def Leppard, Joe's upper register now sounds like he's singing through a wet flannel.

Queensryche - Mixed feelings. Had they gone up in smoke after Empire I would forever point at them as being my favourite band. Ever. However, Tate marginalised Michael Wilton which produced three decent but lacking albums (Promised Land, HITNF and Tribe) and after DeGarmo quit (again) Tate tried to drive the band off a cliff, culminating in the asinine Cabaret tour and subsequent disgrace that was Dedicated To Chaos. I almost don't regard Q2K, Mindcrime II, AS and DtC as Queensryche albums and I don't own the latter two.

Dream Theater - 50/50. I absolutely adored I&W and Awake, but FII killed my enthusiasm at the time. SFaM and 6DoiT put them back into my top 3 favourite bands at the time, then ToT, SC and BC&SL (I really like 8vm) caused them to drop right out again... ADToE was a big return to form, but I can't bring myself to buy DT12 given certain lyrics that're on there.

Iron Maiden - Yes. Though there was a long period from NPFTD through to Dance Of Death when they absolutely weren't (I was still avoiding anything Bruce was on when Brave New World was released as I didn't know he'd started singing properly again from Skunkworks onwards at the time).

The Almighty. Nope.

As a teenager I hadn't discovered Rush (I don't think Kerrang! mentioned them once at the time), Devin Townsend was just Vai's singer prodigy, Type O Negative hadn't made enough of a mark on the UK and the modern incarnation of Amorphis was a long way off.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
I still listen to all my favorite bands from my youth. Maybe not as much anymore, but I haven't "grown out of them."

I grew out of growing out of bands/music.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth

Growing out of bands/music is too hipster for me.

If it was good then it can't be that bad now.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jakepriest

but I can't bring myself to buy DT12 given certain lyrics that're on there.

What kind of lyrics would be that? Also, why do you check lyrics before you buy music?

Calvin6s

So much this.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
I got into music relatively late in my life (late teens, early twenties) so some of my favorite bands I've only been following for ten years or so now. Before that, I had one Led Zeppelin album that I listed to (IV), a Queen greatest hits, and a Beatles greatest hits plus whatever was on the radio. Not really enough exposure to have a 'favorite band ever.'

Most of the bands I liked back then I still like, I just don't listen to that actively anymore but I still enjoy them whenever they come on. I guess, if I was forced to pick, it would probably be Metallica and Megadeth. I was hugely into them about ten to twelve years ago, but now I just don't ever feel the need to listen to either of them at all now. Which is too bad as I still like a lot of their music.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Maybe it just comes with the territory of being a 52 year oldster, but I find myself listening more and more to the bands of my teens/youth. It's like reconnecting with old friends who I'd lost touch with. That includes the likes of Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Sabbath, Tull, Floyd, Genesis etc. And the crop of "newer" more current bands that I consider favorites seem to share a direct lineage to the aforementioned in terms of musical style. That would include Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Riverside and Opeth.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Aerial Ace

• Glimpsing at other threads
  • Meow
I'm mostly into pop punk / punk rock before I dwelled into the prog realm so..

Bands I'm still into : Sum 41, Foo Fighters, Audioslave, Muse, Dream Theater, Radiohead, Porcupine Tree, Keane, Coheed and Cambria, Gorillaz

Not into : Blink 182, Green Day, MCR, Taking Back Sunday, The Killers, GOB, GNR, Nickelback, Three Days Grace

Not that I dislike them at this point but I'm not into them like I used to.
" Help me live today and help to give me grace to carry out your way "

" I am ready... Help guide me and keep me free "

Offline r0cken

None of my favorites ever lose the "favorite" title, I just don't listen to them much anymore unless they still actively release albums. Then I listen to the new album, but usually don't obsess over it like I used to.

Dream Theater consistently release good material over the years, so they stayed an active favorite since I was 18. Also, um.. Eros Ramazzotti almost never disappoints me. Megadeth's latest albums are hit and miss, unfortunately.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
I listened to a lot of 70s music when I was younger, so bands like Zeppelin, Sabbath, Pink Floyd, etc were my favourite bands. I still rate that music incredibly highly, but I don't tend to listen to it that much these days. A lot of the contemporary bands I liked at the time - Queen, Dire Staits - aren't really around any more, so I don't tend to listen to them that much either. Bands like Def Leppard (I was a huge fan) didn't really maintain my interest over the years.

Besides, there's been so much new music to embrace (any of you guys heard of this band called Dream Theater? They're really quite good) that I don't really want to listen to old stuff - but it's always good to take a trip down memory lane and listen to some old albums once in a while (where did I put that copy of Sports by Huey Lewis and the News?).

That said, there are two bands that I was mad about when I was a teenager that I am still just as mad about today - Iron Maiden and Rush.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
None of my favorites ever lose the "favorite" title, I just don't listen to them much anymore............

That's me - and of every 10 hours I spend listening to new releases looking for the next gem , 9.9 of them could be much better spent listening to my old faves  :lol   Can't help myself though.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au