Author Topic: The Beatles APPRECIATION THREAD  (Read 6758 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The Beatles APPRECIATION THREAD
« on: August 20, 2015, 09:51:57 PM »
This thread is for Beatles fans to talk about how great they were.  I didn't want to bump any of the old existing Beatles threads, since most delve into that silly "The Beatles are overrated" nonsense, so since this is an appreciation thread, we will have none of that in here. :hat

Anyway, I've been listening to a lot of them this week.  So many great songs, on so many records.

NP: Glass Onion :hat

Offline adace

Re: The Beatles APPRECIATION THREAD
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 10:01:04 PM »
Within You Without You and The Inner Light are some of my favorite underrated Beatles songs. They're both gorgeous.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 10:57:27 PM »
They have been my #1 band ever since I was about 8 years. Phenomenal band in all regards.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 11:53:50 PM »
greatest band of all time no doubt about it. i want you (she's so heavy) is quite possibly the greatest song of all time as well.

also, i think, even with the praise that they get, that they are UNDERrated. i don't think most people really understood what they were doing at the time, and still don't understand it today.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 02:22:03 AM »
I've been revisiting them a bit in the last few weeks, such a great band. While I'm not a big fan of their early albums, I think Rubber Soul and forward is really great. Abbey Road and Sgt Pepper have been favorites for a while, but I've given White Album some more attention. It's a lot of music to take in, but really good stuff.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 04:37:13 AM »
Rubber Soul onwards is amazing. Rubber Soul and Abbey Road alternate as my fave album from them.

I find it funny that my top 2 Beatles songa are written by Gerge Harrison.  :P

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 05:09:57 AM »
Simply the best. Of note is the fact of how much they accomplished in 7 years from 1963 - 1970,  contrasted to the fact that Metallica has released 1 album in the last 7 years.  ::)

Abbey Road will always be my fave, and I wanted to give a shout-out to Yellow Matter Custard which I just watched. The guys did a great job with those songs.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 05:39:29 AM »
greatest band of all time no doubt about it. i want you (she's so heavy) is quite possibly the greatest song of all time as well.

also, i think, even with the praise that they get, that they are UNDERrated. i don't think most people really understood what they were doing at the time, and still don't understand it today.
I agree with this 100%. Many people say The Beatles are overrated but I don't think they know too many songs.
To be honest, I still don't know majority of their discography but discovering it I'm surprised how fresh they sound.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 09:59:40 AM »
I think to some degree, people look at The Beatles in today's terms.  Meaning, "Beatlemania" and equate it with the fury for One Direction or Taylor Swift.  I think people forget that they were actually very good musicians, and played and sang all their material around a microphone in what was - in terms of state of the art - a pretty crappy studio.

I saw McCartney in Philly in 2008, and the guy played and sang for two and a half hours (roughly), THEN walked out with just a guitar and did "Yesterday", just him and a guitar, and it was beautiful.  I cried (seriously).  Then he proceeded to play TEN more songs, all of which are certifiable classics.   (You can go to "setlist.com" and see the set; 40 songs, almost three and a half hours... unbelievable). 

By far my favorite band.

I think the other thing that is lost is the influence.  Other than Hendrix (who was himself influenced by the Beatles) I don't think there's a band out there that has spawned so many blatant imitators that STILL achieved legendary status themselves.    Billy Joel, Gene Simmons, Rick Neilson, Jeff Lynne, Ozzy... will all tell you that "if it wasn't for the Beatles..."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 10:02:03 AM »
The Beatles - GREAT

The Rolling Stones - diabolically bad :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 11:17:47 AM »
The last thing I purchased from Borders before they went out of business was this book:

I already liked The Beatles, and had heard about a lot of the "firsts" they had in their resumé, but what I read in this book blew my mind.

The book dissects 100 songs which the authors consider "the best" which of course is subjective, but let's face it; they have a lot of really, really great songs.  And that doesn't change the objective facts they've given for each song.  Extensive notes regarding the recording sessions, great "did you know?" tidbits about each song, etc.

The multitracking which we take for granted today was practically invented by George Martin and The Beatles, simply because they had arrangements in their heads that the four of them couldn't play in real time.  Prior to The Beatles, albums were recorded very differently. 

Augmenting the basic rock group (guitars, bass, drums) with instruments like horns ("Got to Get You Into My Life"), clarinets ("When I'm 64"), strings (many songs) was rare if not unheard-of.  The Beatles did it.  They had no problem doing whatever it took to serve the music.  Adding the sitar and other Eastern instruments.  Actually writing and playing songs in that style, and putting them on the album.  Never done before.

"Eleanor Rigby" is a double string quartet and three voices, period.  The piano solo in "In My Life" was played and recorded at half-speed, so that upon playback it would sound one octave higher and have that timbre which many have mistaken for a harpsichord.  Some of the tape loops on "Revolution 9" were so long they the had the tape running through the deck and around the room, kept taut by pencils taped to the desks and tables.  Okay, I'll stop with the examples.  Get the book.

Anyway, my appreciation for this band was only increased by reading about what they've done to revolutionize the art of recording.  And as I said, I already liked them.  I mean, I liked most of their songs anyway, without even thinking about what went into creating them in the studio.  And I agree with those who say that no matter how big they are considered in the history of recorded music, they are still underrated.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 12:04:32 PM »
Yeah, every time I read somewhere that the Beatles are "overrated" I can't help but laugh.

What they did was staggering.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 12:14:12 PM »
Dream Team, the Yellow Matter Custard thing is fun to watch, but whenever I've tried listening to just the mp3s, it was hard to get through them.  Neal is the only one who did good vocally at all, for the most part, and considering how important vocals, especially harmonies, were to the Beatles sound, I can't say they did a great job from that standpoint, but they clearly had a blast doing those shows, so who cares, right? :lol

Orbert, I need to get that book.

I can still listen to Tomorrow Never Knows and think, "If this came out today, it would still blow our minds." And the song is nearly 50 years old!!

Also, as great as albums like Abbey Road, Sgt. Pepper, Rubber Soul, Revolver and the White Album all are, I still think Magical Mystery Tour gets overlooked in the best Beatles album discussions.  Not saying it is the best, but it's pretty freaking great.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 12:27:26 PM »
^ I think it gets overlooked because it wasn't a "proper" LP.  It was released as a "double EP" in the UK, with just the six songs from the sountrack to the film.   For the US market, they made it an "LP length" by adding five (I think) singles the band released in 1967. 

Think about that for a second:  The Beatles recorded and released all of the following from Nov. 1966 through Nov. 1967:

1. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"
2. "With a Little Help from My Friends"
3. "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"
4. "Getting Better"
5. "Fixing a Hole"
6. "She's Leaving Home"
7. "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!"

1. "Within You Without You"
2. "When I'm Sixty-Four"
3. "Lovely Rita"
4. "Good Morning Good Morning"
5. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)"
6. "A Day in the Life"   

1. "Magical Mystery Tour"
2. "The Fool on the Hill"
3. "Flying"
4. "Blue Jay Way"
5. "Your Mother Should Know"
6. "I Am the Walrus"

1. "Hello, Goodbye"
2. "Strawberry Fields Forever"
3. "Penny Lane"
4. "Baby, You're a Rich Man"
5. "All You Need Is Love"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 01:26:07 PM »

You really do.

Calvin6s

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 01:47:56 PM »
The change in sound from beginning to end is ridiculous.

Feel robbed that their egos got the best of them.

What they had was they created great songs that seemed so new, yet so familiar at the same time.  It seems like it would be easy to write songs like that, but it's the little things that make all the difference.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2015, 02:50:31 PM »
So The Beatles are The Simpsons?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2015, 03:44:33 PM »
Also, as great as albums like Abbey Road, Sgt. Pepper, Rubber Soul, Revolver and the White Album all are, I still think Magical Mystery Tour gets overlooked in the best Beatles album discussions.  Not saying it is the best, but it's pretty freaking great.

Right. I had a  phase then when I played this everyday for a month. I Am The Walrus was so ahead of its time, it does not have any 1960s sound in it.

The 11 -track LP version is really great. Magical Mystery Tour, Fool On The Hill, I Am The Walrus, Strawberry Fields Forever, Hello Goodbye, Penny Lane, All You Need is Love in one album? Great album indeed.

Ringo Starr is also really underrated. I am glad that Mangini always cites him as one of his biggest influences.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 04:04:36 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 06:49:59 PM »
Within You Without You and The Inner Light are some of my favorite underrated Beatles songs. They're both gorgeous.
WYWY is one of my favourite songs, but in my experience, the songs where the Eastern inspiration is anything more than light are dismissed by 90% of Beatles fans as “that Indian crap that George subjected everyone to”.

The Beatles are extremely hit and miss for me. I find many of their songs brilliant, many average, and a good number god-awful. Take Abbey Road, for example. I don’t care whatsoever for anything on Side B. Side A, on the other hand, is amazing, with the exception of Octopus’ Garden, which is terrible.

Against all odds then, my favourite album of theirs is The White Album.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 08:04:57 PM »
WYWY is one of my favourite songs, but in my experience, the songs where the Eastern inspiration is anything more than light are dismissed by 90% of Beatles fans as “that Indian crap that George subjected everyone to”.

The Beatles are extremely hit and miss for me. I find many of their songs brilliant, many average, and a good number god-awful. Take Abbey Road, for example. I don’t care whatsoever for anything on Side B. Side A, on the other hand, is amazing, with the exception of Octopus’ Garden, which is terrible.

Against all odds then, my favourite album of theirs is The White Album.

You don't like The Abbey Road Medley???    By chance, have you heard the Transatlantic Suite Charlotte Pike/Abbey Road Mashup?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2015, 09:11:12 PM »
She Came In Through The Bathroom Window would have been good as a standalone song, and Golden Slumbers is okay, but as they stand, they’re underdeveloped ideas buried amongst all the rest of it.

I’ve heard the Transatlantic song, but not the mashup.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 09:25:55 PM »
She Came In Through The Bathroom Window would have been good as a standalone song, and Golden Slumbers is okay, but as they stand, they’re underdeveloped ideas buried amongst all the rest of it.

I’ve heard the Transatlantic song, but not the mashup.

It's long....but....you're welcome.     IMO, this version is better than either original.   There...I said it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCKJf2kFOiU
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2015, 10:53:50 PM »

You really do.

I will...soon. :coolio

I Am The Walrus was so ahead of its time, it does not have any 1960s sound in it.

It's astonishing how many Beatles songs you can say that about, really.

Ringo Starr is also really underrated.

He was better than some give him credit for, but realistically, he's still one of the luckiest musicians ever. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2015, 10:21:03 AM »
So, if you had to narrow your favorite Beatles list down to just 20, which 20 would you pick?  That isn't easy, but I'd go with these:

A Day in the Life
Strawberry Fields Forever
Hey Jude
Across the Universe
Something
Here Comes the Sun
Abbey Road medley (cheating? perhaps :lol)
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Rocky Raccoon
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
I Am the Walrus
In My Life
For No One
Glass Onion
Lovely Rita
Nowhere Man
She Said She Said
Doctor Robert
Maxwell's Silver Hammer
All You Need Is Love

Tomorrow, I could do the same thing and maybe 10-12 of those selections would be different.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2015, 10:22:56 AM »
When the Beatles stopped touring and performing live shows, it was obviously devastating to fans at the time, but it was a blessing for posterity. They threw all their musical energy into the recording process.  George Martin was the true fifth Beatle.

Just magine fan reaction if DT suddenly announced they would stop performing live but just continue to make albums, and multiply that by 10.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2015, 10:50:15 AM »
No order.

Norwegian Wood
I Saw Her Standing There
Something
Hey Jude
I Feel Fine
Blackbird
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
A Day In The Life
Nowhere Man
In My Life
Across The Universe
Eleanor Rigby
All My Loving
Here Comes The Sun
Abbey Road medley
She Loves You
If I Fell
Day Tripper
And I Love Her
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2015, 11:26:08 AM »
When the Beatles stopped touring and performing live shows, it was obviously devastating to fans at the time, but it was a blessing for posterity.

I was thinking about that. Touring, and the revenue involved, was definitely a big shift in the music industry.   

The Beatles are extremely hit and miss for me. I find many of their songs brilliant, many average, and a good number god-awful.

This would sum up my feelings, though "god-awful" might be pretty harsh. And even those "god-awful songs" I'll give them credit for, for trying something new, being brave, and trying to not repeat themselves.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2015, 01:40:17 PM »
A Day in the Life
Tomorrow Never Knows
Blue Jay Way
Across the Universe
Here Comes the Sun
While My Guitar Gentle Weeps
Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight
I am the Walrus
Happiness is a Warm Gun
Eleanor Rigby
Come Together
Within You, Without You
Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
Nowhere Man
Get Back
Got to Get You Into My Life
Taxman
Fool on the Hill
Glass Onion

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2015, 01:50:49 PM »
How is there not an appreciation thread for them already? They are far and away the greatest band of all time. So many classic songs and they wrote whatever music they wanted to. The first metal song ever was Helter Skelter and one of the albums that paved the way for progressive rock was Sgt. Pepper. They influenced so many artists and popular music would be completely different today if it wasn't for The Beatles.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2015, 02:48:32 PM »
Fuck yeah. I was resistant to the Beatles as a kid because my mom is a huge fan and always forced her oldies music on me, so I sorta just lumped them in with "lame/corny shit Mom likes" (it didn't help that all I'd heard was stuff like "I Want to Hold Your Hand"). Then in middle school-ish I heard "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and was like "This is the same band?! This rules!" It wasn't really until college that I become a big fan though, when Tony gave me Sgt. Pepper and I was just like "Whoooa." Obviously the rest is history but now I love it all. I find myself listening to Rubber Soul and Revolver the most these days, I think, but that changes.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2015, 03:37:08 PM »
I don't subscribe to the "Only late Beatles are good" attitude. I think they wrote great songs at the very beginning too, like I Want to Hold Your Hand, A Hard Day's Night, Ticket to Ride and many others.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2015, 04:23:57 PM »
Early stuff is great. I love Lady Madonna myself. It's so jaunty :D

Awesome version : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAMJAThEvi0

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2015, 04:33:11 PM »
I'm not saying that at all, I'm just saying when you're an angsty teenager and your mom makes you listen to Ticket to Ride, you're like "Fuck this shit"  :lol
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2015, 09:07:41 AM »
How is there not an appreciation thread for them already?

Epic fail on the collective part of the forum? ;) :lol

Fuck yeah. I was resistant to the Beatles as a kid because my mom is a huge fan and always forced her oldies music on me, so I sorta just lumped them in with "lame/corny shit Mom likes" (it didn't help that all I'd heard was stuff like "I Want to Hold Your Hand"). Then in middle school-ish I heard "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and was like "This is the same band?! This rules!" It wasn't really until college that I become a big fan though, when Tony gave me Sgt. Pepper and I was just like "Whoooa." Obviously the rest is history but now I love it all. I find myself listening to Rubber Soul and Revolver the most these days, I think, but that changes.

Make sense. I was lucky in that Sgt. Pepper was my intro to the band, thanks to my dad when I was like 7.  My parents owned the vinyl, and not only was the music good, but it had that classic cover, and the back vinyl with all of the lyrics printed on it was so cool, too.  When I got my first CD player late in 1990 and started buying CDs, Sgt. Pepper was one of the first ones I purchased. :hat

If my memory serves me right, after buying just The Wall the first day (I intentionally only bought just that since I wanted that to be the first and only album I ever owned on CD), I went back the next day and bought Boston's debut, Sgt. Pepper and (oddly) The Best of Kansas.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2015, 10:55:21 AM »
My top 10 is fairly easy, although I'm not too sure about the order of the other five.

I am the walrus
A Day in the life
Tomorrow never knows
In my life
Strawberry fields forever
While my guitar gently weeps
The Long and winding road
Here, there and everywhere
I want to hold your hand
Something

And then if I had to come up with 10 more... I went chronologically:

It won't be long