Author Topic: Has Richard Chycki been a good asset for DT?  (Read 5034 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Has Richard Chycki been a good asset for DT?
« on: August 19, 2015, 06:37:12 PM »
I don't mean to make a flame war, but I'm curious about what people think. As far as my opinion goes, I think that Chycki has been more of a 'miss' than a 'hit' with DT. 
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Rodni Demental

Re: Has Richard Chycki been a good asset for DT?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 07:21:05 PM »
Yes.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 08:02:13 PM »
Given how they're going with him again, one can assume they feel he gave them the product they wanted. So, whatever you might feel about DT12, is more about DT than Chycki.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 09:16:24 PM »
The only minus for me so far is the Dream Theater album snare sound. And we are not even sure if it's him or it's more of JP's vision as a producer. That goes with the compression and loudness issue as well, because interviews seem to indicate that that is what JP, as a producer, wanted.

One plus thing that has been clearly attributed to him by the band is JM's up-front bass sound.

Offline Cable

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 09:23:03 PM »
Less of an asset vs. Kevin Shirley/Oberkircher, more of one than Paul Northfield.
---

Offline Skeever

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 10:09:24 PM »
DT mixing, production, etc., have always been below average in my opinion, but the last two albums are two of the worst since WDADU for me. So, there's my opinion. Not gonna throw blame around on a specific person, though.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 10:12:20 PM »
I'm still a bit mixed based on what we've got so far. DT12 was one of DT's lesser sounding albums even on HDTracks, LALP was ok, but the Christmas release was solid, and BTFW sounded really good. And DT have said they were aware of the feedback from DT12 and wanted a different sound this time.
So I guess I'll let DT13 be the decider!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 02:02:48 AM »
I'm good with it

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 02:23:45 AM »
Agree. How they're not going with Terry Date is beyond me. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 06:08:56 AM »
Eh, I'd tend to say no, but I think DT13 will definitely be the deciding factor for me.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 06:30:40 AM »
Given how they're going with him again, one can assume they feel he gave them the product they wanted. So, whatever you might feel about DT12, is more about DT than Chycki.

Exactly.  JP himself said they were going fore a certain sound.  They are the true producers that want a certain sound.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline genome

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 06:47:24 AM »
I thought BTFW sounded awful. But that's just me.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 08:06:44 AM »
I'm still a bit mixed based on what we've got so far. DT12 was one of DT's lesser sounding albums even on HDTracks, LALP was ok, but the Christmas release was solid, and BTFW sounded really good. And DT have said they were aware of the feedback from DT12 and wanted a different sound this time.

ADTOE was mixed by Andy Wallace. And I don't think Chycki mastered it either. What do you mean by lesser sounding albums as far as ADTOE? My gripe on this album are two things, mainly sonic issues:
-The drums sound very buried. Didn't MM record this on his home studio?
-JP's guitar sounds like there was a bedsheet over the amps...the songs kick ass live but the guitar in the studio versions sounds thin and whimpy

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 08:12:50 AM »

ADTOE was mixed by Andy Wallace. And I don't think Chycki mastered it either. What do you mean by lesser sounding albums as far as ADTOE? My gripe on this album are two things, mainly sonic issues:
-JP's guitar sounds like there was a bedsheet over the amps...the songs kick ass live but the guitar in the studio versions sounds thin and whimpy

I didn't mention ADTOE since Chycki wasn't involved, but I'd consider that DT's worst sounding album sonically since WDADU, basically for the same reasons as you. The drums sound raw and have no punch, the guitars are overwhelming and muddy, and the whole mix is just generally off.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 08:18:29 AM »

I didn't mention ADTOE since Chycki wasn't involved, but I'd consider that DT's worst sounding album sonically since WDADU, basically for the same reasons as you. The drums sound raw and have no punch, the guitars are overwhelming and muddy, and the whole mix is just generally off.

I'm still wondering what happened on that one. I hope this is DT's Vapor Trails and will get a retreatment sometime in the future (although I doubt it will happen since I haven't seen the backlash on the sound on this one outside the main DT forums). But reading Wallace's mixing credits, I still have to wonder, what happened? Why was this botched?

On DT12, I understand the snare experiment and DT has come forward and recognize they won't be doing again..But on ADTOE? I don't I recall reading or seeing anyone from DT coming out forward and addressing the sonic issues on ADTOE.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 08:20:30 AM »
I really liked the sound of the S/T...  :-\

Events was muddy and lacked the punch that I like.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 08:28:05 AM »
Less of an asset vs. Kevin Shirley/Oberkircher, more of one than Paul Northfield.

Both of these.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline emtee

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 08:32:20 AM »
Two albums full of excellent compositions and thousands of hours of combined effort that are very rarely listened to solely due to sound
quality. It's such a bummer for me and IMO such a missed opportunity. BUT...according to posts here, the band recognizes this issue
and has vowed to fix it on the next album. So I'm looking forward to see what they do.

Offline genome

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 08:43:25 AM »
IMHO Paul Northfield got JP a really great, biting and grinding guitar tone. It's been a bit muddy since he left.

I met him in a pub once, before the Wembley 2007 show.  :-)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 09:04:16 AM »
Now thinking about it, I'm actually kinda surprised DT hasn't revisited Kevin Shirley since MP has been gone. It seemed like KS and MP were the ones to at times but heads a little, so with MP not in DT anymore it would probably be more feasible to see KS behind the board again. Every instrument just sounded so good with KS...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 09:14:32 AM »
Now thinking about it, I'm actually kinda surprised DT hasn't revisited Kevin Shirley since MP has been gone. It seemed like KS and MP were the ones to at times but heads a little, so with MP not in DT anymore it would probably be more feasible to see KS behind the board again. Every instrument just sounded so good with KS...

I haven't heard anything about MP and KS having issues (I recall one story about JP making KS spend a night raising the guitars on SDOIT then making him put it back, but even that story seems to have been told with humour).
Given they used Shirley for multiple albums when they had full creative control, I'd say they were all quite happy to use him given the results. I wonder if it's more of a logistical thing. I would absolutely love for Kevin Shirley to be involved in making another DT album.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 09:20:14 AM »
+1 for Shirley if he is available to work with DT again in the future.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 09:28:56 AM »
Huh, not sure why I thought MP and KS didn't get along...No clue, maybe I was grouping him in with Prater.  :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2015, 09:37:48 AM »
I would love to hear a DT album mixed by whomever mixes Neal Morse's albums....if it's Neal or whoever. I think all his albums sound very good and don't highlight one particular instrument yet they don't overlook any either...none are lost to the listener and everything compliments each other.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2015, 09:39:06 AM »
It strikes me how bands with fewer resources like Haken can put out albums as good sounding as 'The Mountain' while DT's latest mixes have received mixed reception. Don't get me wrong, I love the music in the last two albums but their production leave a lot to be desired.

I also believe that their next album is definitive in terms of what is expected of them at this point.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2015, 09:51:51 AM »
Here is about the only place I know where Shirley is highly regarded........he seems to be considered the kiss of death these days in AOR/hard rock circles when it comes to the sound of an album.  I have no strong opinion on him but that's the impression I get from others.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2015, 09:53:47 AM »
Here is about the only place I know where Shirley is highly regarded........he seems to be considered the kiss of death these days in AOR/hard rock circles when it comes to the sound of an album.  I have no strong opinion on him but that's the impression I get from others.

First I've heard of this. Given the low standard on modern hard rock / AOR albums, I can't possibly see how Shirley could have a bad reputation, given that all albums I've heard from him have sounded quite good.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2015, 09:57:53 AM »

First I've heard of this. Given the low standard on modern hard rock / AOR albums, I can't possibly see how Shirley could have a bad reputation, given that all albums I've heard from him have sounded quite good.

Dance of Death by Iron Maiden is not very popular sound wise, which I agree. Easily his worst work with them.  Meanwhile he also did my favorite work with them on Brave New World.

But I think it's still important to note was has been said about Chycki, these guys are hired by the band and therefore the band has strong input on how the album should sound so its unclear how exactly each of these guys own sound ideas contributed to each album.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2015, 10:00:51 AM »

Huh, I've never heard that either. All I know is that, historically, KS + DT = Great sounding records. So I'm going solely off that.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2015, 10:20:17 AM »
I would love to hear a DT album mixed by whomever mixes Neal Morse's albums....if it's Neal or whoever. I think all his albums sound very good and don't highlight one particular instrument yet they don't overlook any either...none are lost to the listener and everything compliments each other.

Rich Mouser has great sounding mixes. Would love for The Mouse to mix some DT stuff.
Jens Borgren did the latest Symphony X (Iconoclast and Paradise Lost), he has mixed some Opeth, he did the last two JLB albums which sound amazing, and he also did Haken's The Mountain which sounds very good as well.

Would love either of those two to mix a DT album.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2015, 11:30:56 AM »

Rich Mouser has great sounding mixes. Would love for The Mouse to mix some DT stuff.
Jens Borgren did the latest Symphony X (Iconoclast and Paradise Lost), he has mixed some Opeth, he did the last two JLB albums which sound amazing, and he also did Haken's The Mountain which sounds very good as well.

+1 for Jens. The new Symphony X in particular sounds great to my ears.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2015, 12:11:14 PM »

Yep....everything you listed sounds awesome! While I don't get annoyed by the mix/sound that DT puts out as much as some folks in these parts....I do think it's evident even to a less than novice person like me that DT could stand to benefit from two things....an outside producer and an impartial sound engineer to mix.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ethebubbeth

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2015, 02:03:17 PM »

Underworld is, unfortunately, the most dynamically compressed album from Symphony X to date :(

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2015, 02:09:48 PM »
No, until I hear DT13. BTFW was a step in the right direction though.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin